Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Deity Quests for Retired Items
1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Great idea with tons of support behind it! I really like this, and hope it comes into play.
Great idea with tons of support behind it! I really like this, and hope it comes into play.
I kinda like the general updated idea, but I am not too keen on the "Players will be able to work on more than one Deity Quest at a time" - each player then could get 11 items every few weeks?/months? and while that doesn't appear to be much for a single player, when you multiply that by at least 7000, you get huge numbers of possible item prizes (7000 is the highest number I've seen at once, but the actual active player number must be higher). The number is huge and therefore the possible influx of new "retired" items is also huge, no matter how low the odds are since RNG is a fickle god.

I could possibly support this if there was some sort of hard limit to the number of quests at once, like no more than two-three quests at once (for example, Shadowbinder and Lightweaver are displeased with your wanderings, finish these quests first), or no more than 1 quest in the same stage, or something like that.
I kinda like the general updated idea, but I am not too keen on the "Players will be able to work on more than one Deity Quest at a time" - each player then could get 11 items every few weeks?/months? and while that doesn't appear to be much for a single player, when you multiply that by at least 7000, you get huge numbers of possible item prizes (7000 is the highest number I've seen at once, but the actual active player number must be higher). The number is huge and therefore the possible influx of new "retired" items is also huge, no matter how low the odds are since RNG is a fickle god.

I could possibly support this if there was some sort of hard limit to the number of quests at once, like no more than two-three quests at once (for example, Shadowbinder and Lightweaver are displeased with your wanderings, finish these quests first), or no more than 1 quest in the same stage, or something like that.
JQQ3Fjt.png
@RedWillia

The Quests are designed to last far longer than just a few weeks, edging upwards into months -- though that is hard to explain in practice. For example, have you gathered the Skinks for the Skink Familiars brewed by Baldwin? It took me over 6 months to manage to gather all of them (it was what, 20 total skinks?). These are the sorts of time sinks I'm referencing.

The completion of the Quests will also depend on other factors beyond site control -- such as how much time a player has to grind, the quality of their internet or devices, etc. A player who can spend 6 hours on FR grinding each day is of course going to complete Quests more quickly than a player who only grinds for 1 hour a day.

Also, since players can only acquire one of each item, the time in which they can complete the Quests isn't a totally important factor, especially with older items weighted towards the bottom of the pool and taking multiple rounds to acquire. On top of that, I don't believe it's particularly fair to force a player to work for up to a year for a single item, and only be able to work for one at a time. The reason my suggestion contains the ability to work on multiple Quests at a time is because of the 6-months-to-gather-20-Skinks example.

Overall, I hope that the Quests would take about ~6 months per leg. Half a year to work for an item doesn't seem like an overstretch or too much to ask. But I do understand where you're coming from the idea of a Quest Cap. Out of 11 Flights total, perhaps you can be Questing in 4 regions simultaneously?

Or. Perhaps how many Questlines you can accomplish simultaneously could be connected to how many Coli Teams you can assemble? If you have a 3 dragon team Questing in the Tangled Wood, you would need to assemble another to Quest in the Southern Icefields? That could not only encourage people to expand their lairs -- therefore utilizing the treasure sinks -- but could also contribute to the Battle Stone market.
@RedWillia

The Quests are designed to last far longer than just a few weeks, edging upwards into months -- though that is hard to explain in practice. For example, have you gathered the Skinks for the Skink Familiars brewed by Baldwin? It took me over 6 months to manage to gather all of them (it was what, 20 total skinks?). These are the sorts of time sinks I'm referencing.

The completion of the Quests will also depend on other factors beyond site control -- such as how much time a player has to grind, the quality of their internet or devices, etc. A player who can spend 6 hours on FR grinding each day is of course going to complete Quests more quickly than a player who only grinds for 1 hour a day.

Also, since players can only acquire one of each item, the time in which they can complete the Quests isn't a totally important factor, especially with older items weighted towards the bottom of the pool and taking multiple rounds to acquire. On top of that, I don't believe it's particularly fair to force a player to work for up to a year for a single item, and only be able to work for one at a time. The reason my suggestion contains the ability to work on multiple Quests at a time is because of the 6-months-to-gather-20-Skinks example.

Overall, I hope that the Quests would take about ~6 months per leg. Half a year to work for an item doesn't seem like an overstretch or too much to ask. But I do understand where you're coming from the idea of a Quest Cap. Out of 11 Flights total, perhaps you can be Questing in 4 regions simultaneously?

Or. Perhaps how many Questlines you can accomplish simultaneously could be connected to how many Coli Teams you can assemble? If you have a 3 dragon team Questing in the Tangled Wood, you would need to assemble another to Quest in the Southern Icefields? That could not only encourage people to expand their lairs -- therefore utilizing the treasure sinks -- but could also contribute to the Battle Stone market.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
(I assume you are subscribed, so I won't ping you twice for the same thing)

The problem with the skink example is that it depends on the RNG - I have, for example, received 4 skinks in a single gathering turn, so just because it can take 6 months doesn't mean it will. And people will make shortcuts - why gather when you can just buy the thing from AH, for example. That was my main problem with unlimited quest number - if there is a possibility of a shortcut, people will take it and then you have a possible flood of "retired" items.

But! Now I have another issue - if you wish for each quest to take months, then I honestly think that this will turn into a quest for a Light sprite/Sunchaser. 6 months is a long time, and now most other festival items/apparel/sprites costs somewhere in-between 2000 - 10000 gems (or 2-10 million in current G:T rates). The prices have remained mostly stable for more than a year, including the Light sprite. Most of those items can be saved for and bought faster than 6 months, so the quest length would cause a (I think) natural question - why should I spend 6 months on a random thing, when I can save up in 6 months for a guaranteed thing?

In a few years maybe the prices would rise that 6 months on a random thing would work out better than saving for the same times, but right now? Nah.

There was a discussion about Joxar boxes and how they won't do what staff wanted - I have a feeling this might turn into the same thing - good intentions, but little to no bites, especially if there are quest-specific familiars/apparel. Like Joxar boxes, instead of quenching the demand for "retired" items, it might create a new thirst for those items. Then the specific item prices rise sky-high (since it would take a few months for them to appear) and instead of expensive retired items you'd have expensive quest items.
(I assume you are subscribed, so I won't ping you twice for the same thing)

The problem with the skink example is that it depends on the RNG - I have, for example, received 4 skinks in a single gathering turn, so just because it can take 6 months doesn't mean it will. And people will make shortcuts - why gather when you can just buy the thing from AH, for example. That was my main problem with unlimited quest number - if there is a possibility of a shortcut, people will take it and then you have a possible flood of "retired" items.

But! Now I have another issue - if you wish for each quest to take months, then I honestly think that this will turn into a quest for a Light sprite/Sunchaser. 6 months is a long time, and now most other festival items/apparel/sprites costs somewhere in-between 2000 - 10000 gems (or 2-10 million in current G:T rates). The prices have remained mostly stable for more than a year, including the Light sprite. Most of those items can be saved for and bought faster than 6 months, so the quest length would cause a (I think) natural question - why should I spend 6 months on a random thing, when I can save up in 6 months for a guaranteed thing?

In a few years maybe the prices would rise that 6 months on a random thing would work out better than saving for the same times, but right now? Nah.

There was a discussion about Joxar boxes and how they won't do what staff wanted - I have a feeling this might turn into the same thing - good intentions, but little to no bites, especially if there are quest-specific familiars/apparel. Like Joxar boxes, instead of quenching the demand for "retired" items, it might create a new thirst for those items. Then the specific item prices rise sky-high (since it would take a few months for them to appear) and instead of expensive retired items you'd have expensive quest items.
JQQ3Fjt.png
To quote myself again in regards of bestiary completion
Quote:
“Even if they bring these items back, you can’t complete the bestiary because of Boolean and the KS familiars!”

Yes, but what each person considers complete differs.

True technically speaking if you own every single familiar the bestiary is complete. And plenty of people do agree with this notion. However

Person A: Considers their bestiary complete by collecting all but the retired familiars
Person B: Considers their bestiary complete by only collecting familiars they like.
Person C: Considers their bestiary complete by collecting all but Boolean and the KS familiars.
Person D: Considers their bestiary complete by only collecting a specific kind of familiar (All humanoid/beast clan familiars for example)

Basically, what you consider a complete bestiary doesn’t mean someone else does too necessarily.

as an addition, not everyone is trying to obtain sprites just so they can complete their bestiary, so it's not a very valid argument and again it is pointless to bring up retired non festival items. Because it has pretty much become a cheap cop out and is a circular fallacy argument.
To quote myself again in regards of bestiary completion
Quote:
“Even if they bring these items back, you can’t complete the bestiary because of Boolean and the KS familiars!”

Yes, but what each person considers complete differs.

True technically speaking if you own every single familiar the bestiary is complete. And plenty of people do agree with this notion. However

Person A: Considers their bestiary complete by collecting all but the retired familiars
Person B: Considers their bestiary complete by only collecting familiars they like.
Person C: Considers their bestiary complete by collecting all but Boolean and the KS familiars.
Person D: Considers their bestiary complete by only collecting a specific kind of familiar (All humanoid/beast clan familiars for example)

Basically, what you consider a complete bestiary doesn’t mean someone else does too necessarily.

as an addition, not everyone is trying to obtain sprites just so they can complete their bestiary, so it's not a very valid argument and again it is pointless to bring up retired non festival items. Because it has pretty much become a cheap cop out and is a circular fallacy argument.
DVcXRyP.png
[quote]Most of those items can be saved for and bought faster than 6 months, so the quest length would cause a (I think) natural question - why should I spend 6 months on a random thing, when I can save up in 6 months for a guaranteed thing?[/quote] Because just because the prices have been stable recently does not mean they will continue to stay that way. A shifting goalpost, even if it does not shift often, is still less stable than a goalpost that does not move. Not to mention, what [i]you [/i]are able to save in 6 months may not be what someone else is capable of saving in 6 months. The wealth I generate in that period of time is probably much lower than other, more active players because I have conditions that do not allow me to grind in the current version of the Coli for very long. That may change with the update and keyboard commands, but we will have to see. These Quests are designed with a constant and stagnant goal that is always able to be reached at any time, rather than having to find someone selling the item and hope that they'll work out a payment plan or hold it long enough for you to save up. Also, if someone only wants to quest for the Light Sprite, then that is their choice? They will have to work to get it, and that work will then be rewarded. The goal is to make currently retired items available in such a way that would not completely tank the market -- and the slow acquisition across the site from players who complete these quests would hopefully result in an evened playing field. Every player can only acquire one, and I imagine that -- especially new players -- are not going to be willing to sell something they can only acquire [i]one [/i]of, especially if they are a collector like me. I gave up questing for the Sprites because of the rapid inflation. I have seen other players say the same. I have seen players talking about how they cannot keep up. Gemajgall has discussed how her questing for retired items has caused her to be unable to justify buying other things, and how the acquisition of them is not a victory, but a relief. And, yes, eventually, as the site ages these items will completely vanish -- unless something is done. So, I suggest these Questlines because they are a difficult, expensive, time consuming avenue that offers a static and guaranteed goal as well as incentive to actually play the Coliseum.
Quote:
Most of those items can be saved for and bought faster than 6 months, so the quest length would cause a (I think) natural question - why should I spend 6 months on a random thing, when I can save up in 6 months for a guaranteed thing?

Because just because the prices have been stable recently does not mean they will continue to stay that way. A shifting goalpost, even if it does not shift often, is still less stable than a goalpost that does not move. Not to mention, what you are able to save in 6 months may not be what someone else is capable of saving in 6 months. The wealth I generate in that period of time is probably much lower than other, more active players because I have conditions that do not allow me to grind in the current version of the Coli for very long. That may change with the update and keyboard commands, but we will have to see. These Quests are designed with a constant and stagnant goal that is always able to be reached at any time, rather than having to find someone selling the item and hope that they'll work out a payment plan or hold it long enough for you to save up.

Also, if someone only wants to quest for the Light Sprite, then that is their choice? They will have to work to get it, and that work will then be rewarded. The goal is to make currently retired items available in such a way that would not completely tank the market -- and the slow acquisition across the site from players who complete these quests would hopefully result in an evened playing field. Every player can only acquire one, and I imagine that -- especially new players -- are not going to be willing to sell something they can only acquire one of, especially if they are a collector like me.

I gave up questing for the Sprites because of the rapid inflation. I have seen other players say the same. I have seen players talking about how they cannot keep up. Gemajgall has discussed how her questing for retired items has caused her to be unable to justify buying other things, and how the acquisition of them is not a victory, but a relief. And, yes, eventually, as the site ages these items will completely vanish -- unless something is done. So, I suggest these Questlines because they are a difficult, expensive, time consuming avenue that offers a static and guaranteed goal as well as incentive to actually play the Coliseum.
[quote]I gave up questing for the Sprites because of the rapid inflation. I have seen other players say the same. I have seen players talking about how they cannot keep up. Gemajgall has discussed how her questing for retired items has caused her to be unable to justify buying other things, and how the acquisition of them is not a victory, but a relief. And, yes, eventually, as the site ages these items will completely vanish -- unless something is done. So, I suggest these Questlines because they are a difficult, expensive, time consuming avenue that offers a static and guaranteed goal as well as incentive to actually play the Coliseum. [/quote] I totally disagree with the points you put up here, because: 1. I think that the "rapid inflation" everyone keeps bringing up is actually not [i]that[/i] rapid a process - like I said, the price of sprites was more or less the same for more than a year; moreover, some sprites actually went down in price. Do prices fluctuate? Yes. Concrete example - last Saturday windbound plumage was 6.5 kg, today - 11 kg. Wait a week, and the price will drop down again. 2. A single users misadventures in saving up do not justify actions that will affect the entire community. 3. Why is it so bad that some items may or may not vanish? I mean, Kog Frogs/Skycats/Booleans probably can be counted on a hand or two, so I don't think there would be a sudden influx of them. I have been hearing that Light sprites will vanish for two years now, yet there are 11 of them in the AH right now and a few more in the Item sales forums. 3. b Sidenote - someone somewhere (how concrete :D) brought up the fact that there are usermade skins that are actually forever gone. 4. Come on, "an incentive to actually play the Coliseum"? I think that a lot people that use Coliseum to make treasure or are interested in Dom would disagree with you... I think that some items have to be more limited than others just to have goals. I am not against quests for limited items - even though I think that 6-months long quests will just make new overpriced items to complain about - but your reasons why retired items should be "unretired" the quest way are making me more and more against it.
Quote:
I gave up questing for the Sprites because of the rapid inflation. I have seen other players say the same. I have seen players talking about how they cannot keep up. Gemajgall has discussed how her questing for retired items has caused her to be unable to justify buying other things, and how the acquisition of them is not a victory, but a relief. And, yes, eventually, as the site ages these items will completely vanish -- unless something is done. So, I suggest these Questlines because they are a difficult, expensive, time consuming avenue that offers a static and guaranteed goal as well as incentive to actually play the Coliseum.

I totally disagree with the points you put up here, because:
1. I think that the "rapid inflation" everyone keeps bringing up is actually not that rapid a process - like I said, the price of sprites was more or less the same for more than a year; moreover, some sprites actually went down in price. Do prices fluctuate? Yes. Concrete example - last Saturday windbound plumage was 6.5 kg, today - 11 kg. Wait a week, and the price will drop down again.
2. A single users misadventures in saving up do not justify actions that will affect the entire community.
3. Why is it so bad that some items may or may not vanish? I mean, Kog Frogs/Skycats/Booleans probably can be counted on a hand or two, so I don't think there would be a sudden influx of them. I have been hearing that Light sprites will vanish for two years now, yet there are 11 of them in the AH right now and a few more in the Item sales forums.
3. b Sidenote - someone somewhere (how concrete :D) brought up the fact that there are usermade skins that are actually forever gone.
4. Come on, "an incentive to actually play the Coliseum"? I think that a lot people that use Coliseum to make treasure or are interested in Dom would disagree with you...

I think that some items have to be more limited than others just to have goals. I am not against quests for limited items - even though I think that 6-months long quests will just make new overpriced items to complain about - but your reasons why retired items should be "unretired" the quest way are making me more and more against it.

JQQ3Fjt.png
I support this
I support this
xeromias_by_keslertortiose-dbfolsr.png
[quote]1. I think that the "rapid inflation" everyone keeps bringing up is actually not that rapid a process - like I said, the price of sprites was more or less the same for more than a year; moreover, some sprites actually went down in price. Do prices fluctuate? Yes. Concrete example - last Saturday windbound plumage was 6.5 kg, today - 11 kg. Wait a week, and the price will drop down again. 2. A single users misadventures in saving up do not justify actions that will affect the entire community.[/quote] It was my personal experience, and an experience[i] recounted numerous times [/i]across the many forums discussing these sorts of topic. I was saving for a Water Sprite at 80kt, back when they were still somewhat new. By the time I, a newbie at the time, was able to scrounge together 80kt, the price had jumped to 120kt. I managed to hoard-sell enough junk and Fairgrounds for a few days to buy one at 150kt. When I saw the prices for the older Sprites ballooning, I stopped trying to keep up because it was detrimental to my health to try. This is not an uncommon story. It is not just "the misadventures of one." [quote]3. Why is it so bad that some items may or may not vanish? I mean, Kog Frogs/Skycats/Booleans probably can be counted on a hand or two, so I don't think there would be a sudden influx of them. I have been hearing that Light sprites will vanish for two years now, yet there are 11 of them in the AH right now and a few more in the Item sales forums.[/quote] I've already addressed why Kickstarter, Beta, and Downtime Familiars differ from Holiday Items. [quote]3. b Sidenote - someone somewhere (how concrete :D) brought up the fact that there are usermade skins that are actually forever gone.[/quote] Usermade skins are not made widely available to the site and therefore cannot be compared to skins produced en mass by the FR team. [quote]4. Come on, "an incentive to actually play the Coliseum"? I think that a lot people that use Coliseum to make treasure or are interested in Dom would disagree with you...[/quote] [i]I [/i]use the Coliseum to make money. There is still a lack of incentive when it comes to playing it. Sometimes money isn't enough to work someone into grinding through a boring and tedious "game" for long enough for it to reap any wealth.
Quote:
1. I think that the "rapid inflation" everyone keeps bringing up is actually not that rapid a process - like I said, the price of sprites was more or less the same for more than a year; moreover, some sprites actually went down in price. Do prices fluctuate? Yes. Concrete example - last Saturday windbound plumage was 6.5 kg, today - 11 kg. Wait a week, and the price will drop down again.
2. A single users misadventures in saving up do not justify actions that will affect the entire community.

It was my personal experience, and an experience recounted numerous times across the many forums discussing these sorts of topic. I was saving for a Water Sprite at 80kt, back when they were still somewhat new. By the time I, a newbie at the time, was able to scrounge together 80kt, the price had jumped to 120kt. I managed to hoard-sell enough junk and Fairgrounds for a few days to buy one at 150kt. When I saw the prices for the older Sprites ballooning, I stopped trying to keep up because it was detrimental to my health to try. This is not an uncommon story. It is not just "the misadventures of one."

Quote:
3. Why is it so bad that some items may or may not vanish? I mean, Kog Frogs/Skycats/Booleans probably can be counted on a hand or two, so I don't think there would be a sudden influx of them. I have been hearing that Light sprites will vanish for two years now, yet there are 11 of them in the AH right now and a few more in the Item sales forums.

I've already addressed why Kickstarter, Beta, and Downtime Familiars differ from Holiday Items.

Quote:
3. b Sidenote - someone somewhere (how concrete :D) brought up the fact that there are usermade skins that are actually forever gone.

Usermade skins are not made widely available to the site and therefore cannot be compared to skins produced en mass by the FR team.
Quote:
4. Come on, "an incentive to actually play the Coliseum"? I think that a lot people that use Coliseum to make treasure or are interested in Dom would disagree with you...

I use the Coliseum to make money. There is still a lack of incentive when it comes to playing it. Sometimes money isn't enough to work someone into grinding through a boring and tedious "game" for long enough for it to reap any wealth.
Well, if you or some other users cannot wait a week to buy a thing they want, then I don't think that a 6-month quest that may not produce the desired item will help you in any way. I foresee the next thread after the hypothetical release to be "let me choose my reward at the end of the quest because I wanted X and got Y". To me, your suggestion doesn't solve the problem you see.

I still don't get why is there such a fixation on certain items "vanishing" - limited items have existed, are existing and will be existing in multiple forms across multiple sites, just in this site some of the limited items are KS rewards, and some are time-limited first year festival things, and some are event (downtime, april fools,...) things and etc. So the specialness of first year festival things? Mystery.

Regarding Coli use - not everyone plays the forum games, and not everyone uses the forums themselves - if you don't like it, don't use it? I know people who get by without setting a foot there, so there is no rule that you have to like and use every part of the site.

So, in conclusion, no support.

And to clarify - I like the idea of deity quest for some limited or specific items, but those items should be new and not the old "retired" items as I don't think that this suggestion (in the current incarnation) will solve any problem that may or may not exist.

Well, if you or some other users cannot wait a week to buy a thing they want, then I don't think that a 6-month quest that may not produce the desired item will help you in any way. I foresee the next thread after the hypothetical release to be "let me choose my reward at the end of the quest because I wanted X and got Y". To me, your suggestion doesn't solve the problem you see.

I still don't get why is there such a fixation on certain items "vanishing" - limited items have existed, are existing and will be existing in multiple forms across multiple sites, just in this site some of the limited items are KS rewards, and some are time-limited first year festival things, and some are event (downtime, april fools,...) things and etc. So the specialness of first year festival things? Mystery.

Regarding Coli use - not everyone plays the forum games, and not everyone uses the forums themselves - if you don't like it, don't use it? I know people who get by without setting a foot there, so there is no rule that you have to like and use every part of the site.

So, in conclusion, no support.

And to clarify - I like the idea of deity quest for some limited or specific items, but those items should be new and not the old "retired" items as I don't think that this suggestion (in the current incarnation) will solve any problem that may or may not exist.

JQQ3Fjt.png
1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29