Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Don't Retire the Sprites Just Yet
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 98 99
The issue here, at least in terms of the Light Sprite, isn't whether you can save up and buy one so much (though saving up up to 10 mil is quite the climb and shelling out over 100 bucks in real life currency on a virtual pet site is a biiiit ridiculous, imho) but more so the fact that this is a finite item (in small quantity at that, if the number of members on the site at the time of its release is any indication). The amount of members on the site at that time was very small compared to now and only a portion of those took part in the holiday and received a Sprite themselves, so only that amount of Sprites exist. While they are still technically obtainable, there's a limited time for how long even that will be. Once they are bought, IF they are bought by people who want to keep them, then they are off the market for good. No one ever has another chance at receiving them. Releasing them again as a rare drop on a special occasion does not, in any way, make the item free [i]or[/i] easy, as the item will stay high-priced if it is rare (though slightly less ridiculously so) and its being rare will make it hard to obtain. [quote name="gemajgall" date="2014-07-05 09:05:39"] EDIT: I remembered hearing something else too. It was before I was a member of FR, but I heard that the admins rejected the idea to allow users to preview dragons and dragon combinations. Yet now we have the Scrying Workshop. So there is an on-site example; that admins said one thing and then went back on their word and did another. For the better of the site. So does that make them "liars" already? Should they never have including the workshop for the sake of trust and firmly adhering to previous statements?[/quote] Absolutely this. I remember that statement from the team - they said that having a breeding simulator or predictor would be defeating the purpose of breeding on the site and that it would ruin the fun and mystery of it so they would never include and on-site predictor or simulator. And yet, here we are.
The issue here, at least in terms of the Light Sprite, isn't whether you can save up and buy one so much (though saving up up to 10 mil is quite the climb and shelling out over 100 bucks in real life currency on a virtual pet site is a biiiit ridiculous, imho) but more so the fact that this is a finite item (in small quantity at that, if the number of members on the site at the time of its release is any indication).

The amount of members on the site at that time was very small compared to now and only a portion of those took part in the holiday and received a Sprite themselves, so only that amount of Sprites exist. While they are still technically obtainable, there's a limited time for how long even that will be. Once they are bought, IF they are bought by people who want to keep them, then they are off the market for good. No one ever has another chance at receiving them.

Releasing them again as a rare drop on a special occasion does not, in any way, make the item free or easy, as the item will stay high-priced if it is rare (though slightly less ridiculously so) and its being rare will make it hard to obtain.
gemajgall wrote on 2014-07-05 09:05:39:
EDIT: I remembered hearing something else too. It was before I was a member of FR, but I heard that the admins rejected the idea to allow users to preview dragons and dragon combinations. Yet now we have the Scrying Workshop. So there is an on-site example; that admins said one thing and then went back on their word and did another. For the better of the site. So does that make them "liars" already? Should they never have including the workshop for the sake of trust and firmly adhering to previous statements?

Absolutely this. I remember that statement from the team - they said that having a breeding simulator or predictor would be defeating the purpose of breeding on the site and that it would ruin the fun and mystery of it so they would never include and on-site predictor or simulator. And yet, here we are.
littlefrsig.png
@gemajgall
The FR staff aren't being attacked by a foreign country though, nor are they unpredictable weather forecasts. Neither of those accurately describe this situation, which would be the staff going against their word by choice, with no reason beyond satisfying a small percentage of those complaining about it. Also, in your examples, no one has invested a lot of money (and in some cases this is real[ money) like they have here. Even their reversed stance on the scrying workshop didn't rob anyone of months of work or loads of treasure/gems.

Those of us that invested a lot of currency into these items specifically because FR designated them as retired would get screwed over and yes, the staff team would be liars. I can't see any way to re-release retired items that doesn't make the staff untrustworthy and doesn't negatively impact everyone who spent a lot already to work toward that goal rather than wait around expecting it to be re-released.
@gemajgall
The FR staff aren't being attacked by a foreign country though, nor are they unpredictable weather forecasts. Neither of those accurately describe this situation, which would be the staff going against their word by choice, with no reason beyond satisfying a small percentage of those complaining about it. Also, in your examples, no one has invested a lot of money (and in some cases this is real[ money) like they have here. Even their reversed stance on the scrying workshop didn't rob anyone of months of work or loads of treasure/gems.

Those of us that invested a lot of currency into these items specifically because FR designated them as retired would get screwed over and yes, the staff team would be liars. I can't see any way to re-release retired items that doesn't make the staff untrustworthy and doesn't negatively impact everyone who spent a lot already to work toward that goal rather than wait around expecting it to be re-released.
No Support for reasons mentioned already.

Why not make some new, rare recolors of the sprites? That way, the Festival Sprites themselves retain their value but new members/those who missed out can still obtain Familiars that are essentially the same linework if they like the design itself? I'm not sure how such a thing would be implemented; but it would be good (in my opinion) to make them rare like other rare familiars on the cite to make them hard but worthwhile to obtain ... somehow. *shrug*

It's already a given extremely few players on the site will ever have a complete beastery. I like the fact that holiday familiars are at least very limited for the forseeable future and limited to 'event' releases.

I, like others, would prefer 'retired' to mean forever. But looking at how divided this issue is I'd much rather some compromise for both 'ney' and 'yay' parties to both be satisfied; which is why I think 'new' sprites would at least give other's access to the sprite designs but not the holiday versions themselves.

Why not make some new, rare recolors of the sprites? That way, the Festival Sprites themselves retain their value but new members/those who missed out can still obtain Familiars that are essentially the same linework if they like the design itself? I'm not sure how such a thing would be implemented; but it would be good (in my opinion) to make them rare like other rare familiars on the cite to make them hard but worthwhile to obtain ... somehow. *shrug*

It's already a given extremely few players on the site will ever have a complete beastery. I like the fact that holiday familiars are at least very limited for the forseeable future and limited to 'event' releases.

I, like others, would prefer 'retired' to mean forever. But looking at how divided this issue is I'd much rather some compromise for both 'ney' and 'yay' parties to both be satisfied; which is why I think 'new' sprites would at least give other's access to the sprite designs but not the holiday versions themselves.
No support. And to be honest the admins will never pander to this because of the large amounts of real money involved. The site will most likely lose so much money in giving refunds if this happened because I know that if I had bought sprites with a lot of real money (for the sole purpose of getting a sprite) and this happened I would be crawling all over them demanding a refund/ Also [quote] [quote]EDIT: I remembered hearing something else too. It was before I was a member of FR, but I heard that the admins rejected the idea to allow users to preview dragons and dragon combinations. Yet now we have the Scrying Workshop. So there is an on-site example; that admins said one thing and then went back on their word and did another. For the better of the site. So does that make them "liars" already? Should they never have including the workshop for the sake of trust and firmly adhering to previous statements?[/quote] Absolutely this. I remember that statement from the team - they said that having a breeding simulator or predictor would be defeating the purpose of breeding on the site and that it would ruin the fun and mystery of it so they would never include and on-site predictor or simulator. And yet, here we are. [/quote] the thing is those two examples cannot be compared. As one involves real money and the other didn't. I mean I don't particualary remeber anyone saying "Do not put this feature in! Take my RL money and don't do it"
No support. And to be honest the admins will never pander to this because of the large amounts of real money involved. The site will most likely lose so much money in giving refunds if this happened because I know that if I had bought sprites with a lot of real money (for the sole purpose of getting a sprite) and this happened I would be crawling all over them demanding a refund/

Also
Quote:
Quote:
EDIT: I remembered hearing something else too. It was before I was a member of FR, but I heard that the admins rejected the idea to allow users to preview dragons and dragon combinations. Yet now we have the Scrying Workshop. So there is an on-site example; that admins said one thing and then went back on their word and did another. For the better of the site. So does that make them "liars" already? Should they never have including the workshop for the sake of trust and firmly adhering to previous statements?

Absolutely this. I remember that statement from the team - they said that having a breeding simulator or predictor would be defeating the purpose of breeding on the site and that it would ruin the fun and mystery of it so they would never include and on-site predictor or simulator. And yet, here we are.

the thing is those two examples cannot be compared. As one involves real money and the other didn't. I mean I don't particualary remeber anyone saying "Do not put this feature in! Take my RL money and don't do it"
Forum-signature.png
No support for reasons already stated.
No support for reasons already stated.
plaguebringer_banner_by_eyenoom-d6kkk4e.png
I disagree, and I admitted my examples were extreme, but I stick by the points they made. Things change, situations change, circumstances change. FR shouldn't feel shackled by users' name-calling to make changes the site needs as times change.

Of course people are perfectly free to agree or disagree if they think this change is for better or for worse. But using name-calling to try to get one way just seems...manipulative.
I disagree, and I admitted my examples were extreme, but I stick by the points they made. Things change, situations change, circumstances change. FR shouldn't feel shackled by users' name-calling to make changes the site needs as times change.

Of course people are perfectly free to agree or disagree if they think this change is for better or for worse. But using name-calling to try to get one way just seems...manipulative.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote name="KnuxGator" date="2014-07-05 11:51:21"]No Support for reasons mentioned already. Why not make some new, rare recolors of the sprites? That way, the Festival Sprites themselves retain their value but new members/those who missed out can still obtain Familiars that are essentially the same linework if they like the design itself? I'm not sure how such a thing would be implemented; but it would be good (in my opinion) to make them rare like other rare familiars on the cite to make them hard but worthwhile to obtain ... somehow. *shrug* I, like others, would prefer 'retired' to mean forever. But looking at how divided this issue is I'd much rather some compromise for both 'ney' and 'yay' parties to both be satisfied; which is why I think 'new' sprites would at least give other's access to the sprite designs but not the holiday versions themselves.[/quote] ^^^
KnuxGator wrote on 2014-07-05 11:51:21:

^^^
PdrVGEX.gifCX5jG7P.gif
I like the beginnings of that compromise. But how would it work in the Bestiary? I know it may divide people either way: but would a "second edition" sprite count as a new entry or fill the old entry? (I'd like it to fill the old entry; that's my opinion).

It could possibly even be something like what Pokemon X and Y did with their Pokedex: the native Kalos pokemon got a special mark in the dex which traded pkemon didn't. I wonder how something like that would work.

There are other ideas out there too. Like the one about awakened familiars staying unlocked in the Bestiary to encourage circulation.

Or maybe, just a suggestion, giving people the opinion to "hide" Bestiary entries they don't/will never have (like especially the KS familiars).
I like the beginnings of that compromise. But how would it work in the Bestiary? I know it may divide people either way: but would a "second edition" sprite count as a new entry or fill the old entry? (I'd like it to fill the old entry; that's my opinion).

It could possibly even be something like what Pokemon X and Y did with their Pokedex: the native Kalos pokemon got a special mark in the dex which traded pkemon didn't. I wonder how something like that would work.

There are other ideas out there too. Like the one about awakened familiars staying unlocked in the Bestiary to encourage circulation.

Or maybe, just a suggestion, giving people the opinion to "hide" Bestiary entries they don't/will never have (like especially the KS familiars).
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
No support.

What part of people spent real money are you not getting? 100gems is a real life dollar for this site. Sure people might not have bought all of that, but if they're spending thousands upon thousands of gems for sprites, they've spent hundreds of dollars or more. It would be horrible to release sprites again, much like it was unfair to those who's shelled out 90k for a Lightburst accent when the staff started manually stocking them in the MP.

To sum it up, just because you weren't here for the festival the sprites were available does not mean you're entitled to have them made available to you now, no matter why you weren't here.
No support.

What part of people spent real money are you not getting? 100gems is a real life dollar for this site. Sure people might not have bought all of that, but if they're spending thousands upon thousands of gems for sprites, they've spent hundreds of dollars or more. It would be horrible to release sprites again, much like it was unfair to those who's shelled out 90k for a Lightburst accent when the staff started manually stocking them in the MP.

To sum it up, just because you weren't here for the festival the sprites were available does not mean you're entitled to have them made available to you now, no matter why you weren't here.
sBdLZtA.png
[quote name="gemajgall" date="2014-07-05 12:25:50"]I like the beginnings of that compromise. But how would it work in the Bestiary? I know it may divide people either way: but would a "second edition" sprite count as a new entry or fill the old entry? (I'd like it to fill the old entry; that's my opinion). It could possibly even be something like what Pokemon X and Y did with their Pokedex: the native Kalos pokemon got a special mark in the dex which traded pkemon didn't. I wonder how something like that would work. There are other ideas out there too. Like the one about awakened familiars staying unlocked in the Bestiary to encourage circulation. Or maybe, just a suggestion, giving people the opinion to "hide" Bestiary entries they don't/will never have (like especially the KS familiars).[/quote] There was actually another suggestion asking for just that; the option to have a completely separate part of the Bestiary for Limited/Unobtainable familiars, wich I still think would be very handy. And of course Awakened Familiars remaining in the Beastiary would possibly help keep Sprites circulating far more than they would otherwise. Though I imagine a new familiar would have it's own, new, entry to the beastairy opposed to filling in the old one; but to each their own preferences.
gemajgall wrote on 2014-07-05 12:25:50:

There was actually another suggestion asking for just that; the option to have a completely separate part of the Bestiary for Limited/Unobtainable familiars, wich I still think would be very handy. And of course Awakened Familiars remaining in the Beastiary would possibly help keep Sprites circulating far more than they would otherwise. Though I imagine a new familiar would have it's own, new, entry to the beastairy opposed to filling in the old one; but to each their own preferences.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 98 99