Back

Skins and Accents

Share and sell your skin creations with other players.
TOPIC | Starfall Contest Q&A, Discussion
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24 25
I'm thinking of doing a spiral next but can't decide between male or female...
I'm thinking of doing a spiral next but can't decide between male or female...
singerrunesig.png wowbox.png
tatsbox.png
firstgenr.png
Rynn.png
I love the little Arcanists that start popping up in the submissions xD. I'm SO looking forward to this holiday!
I love the little Arcanists that start popping up in the submissions xD. I'm SO looking forward to this holiday!
@Darketernity
Well when you're not artistically inclined I guess you find other ways to make it look like you are :/ I use the hard round brush and airbrush. If I use any sort of downloaded brush (on a skin) it's a speckle/sparkle brush so I don't have to sit there and paint each dot by hand :P

I knew "cheating" would be really obvious with this contest. With galaxy/star textures, rune brushes, it's not hard to find. My skin looks like a used a texture but that's just because I threw a few filters on it to get the effect I wanted. I can livestream the whole process to show I didn't use a stock photo. Now it may be disqualified because I manipulated the shadow layer to give me white edges :P But its completely intact! I can run a red brush and every space will fill back in. It's hard to get a crystal look when you can't do back lighting of any sort. :/

Of course if it's allowed I have a couple more crystal dragon that I'd love to sell as skins
@Darketernity
Well when you're not artistically inclined I guess you find other ways to make it look like you are :/ I use the hard round brush and airbrush. If I use any sort of downloaded brush (on a skin) it's a speckle/sparkle brush so I don't have to sit there and paint each dot by hand :P

I knew "cheating" would be really obvious with this contest. With galaxy/star textures, rune brushes, it's not hard to find. My skin looks like a used a texture but that's just because I threw a few filters on it to get the effect I wanted. I can livestream the whole process to show I didn't use a stock photo. Now it may be disqualified because I manipulated the shadow layer to give me white edges :P But its completely intact! I can run a red brush and every space will fill back in. It's hard to get a crystal look when you can't do back lighting of any sort. :/

Of course if it's allowed I have a couple more crystal dragon that I'd love to sell as skins
tumblr_ngnjgvFzfC1scuu34o1_500.png]
@JetBlackSteel while it isn't as bright, unless your base color is stark white you can still apply your own back lighting. It just can't overlap the line art. I didn't mean to start anything with the textures comment. This theme just concerns me since it'll be a lot harder to find out what ones aren't using textures or generic stock space images. I find that I'm actually enjoying the simple ones a lot. There are some amazing complex ones but I'm afraid of spamming this page with eighty million dragon pictures. So here are like ... 10 of my favorites. [quote name="Dogslug" date="2013-09-10 21:13:44"]My first entry, Cosmic Debris: [url=http://i.imgur.com/bMRBfhm.png] [img]http://i.imgur.com/WIolTpA.png[/img] [/url][/quote] [quote name="Duckstapler" date="2013-09-10 13:37:19"][img]http://i42.tinypic.com/29bizx5.png[/img] Looks more like an arcane easter egg :V[/quote] [quote name="Zhoid" date="2013-09-10 10:21:17"] Here's my first submission [img]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/253/d/c/spellbound_skin_by_zhoid-d6ls6os.png[/img][/quote] [quote name="Darketernity" date="2013-09-10 03:33:09"]My entry: Nebulous. [img]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1566/v7w2.png[/img][/quote] [quote name="Novasiri" date="2013-09-10 00:37:16"]Constellations of the Arcane [img]http://i.imgur.com/NAAde3O.png[/img] -shrug-[/quote]
@JetBlackSteel while it isn't as bright, unless your base color is stark white you can still apply your own back lighting. It just can't overlap the line art.

I didn't mean to start anything with the textures comment. This theme just concerns me since it'll be a lot harder to find out what ones aren't using textures or generic stock space images.

I find that I'm actually enjoying the simple ones a lot. There are some amazing complex ones but I'm afraid of spamming this page with eighty million dragon pictures. So here are like ... 10 of my favorites.
Dogslug wrote on 2013-09-10 21:13:44:
My first entry, Cosmic Debris:

WIolTpA.png

Duckstapler wrote on 2013-09-10 13:37:19:
29bizx5.png
Looks more like an arcane easter egg :V
Zhoid wrote on 2013-09-10 10:21:17:
Here's my first submission

spellbound_skin_by_zhoid-d6ls6os.png
Darketernity wrote on 2013-09-10 03:33:09:
My entry:
Nebulous.
v7w2.png
Novasiri wrote on 2013-09-10 00:37:16:
Constellations of the Arcane

NAAde3O.png

-shrug-
RBCsdS1.png oUnj1Rs.png
Eisen's Skins & Accents ... and Skincents!
@EisenDragoon Ugh I love all of those Nearly finished but here's my second entry [URL=http://s101.photobucket.com/user/star9837/media/Arcane2.png.html][IMG]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m70/star9837/Arcane2.png[/IMG][/URL] Going in once its done :3 [quote][img]http://i.imgur.com/8voGmRA.png[/img] [/quote] I fricken love purple so much and its sparkly too. If that rainbow one doesn't win I'm gonna ask them to make it a skin for me XD I'm really looking forward to more purple and pink apparel!
@EisenDragoon
Ugh I love all of those

Nearly finished but here's my second entry
Arcane2.png
Going in once its done :3
Quote:
8voGmRA.png
I fricken love purple so much and its sparkly too. If that rainbow one doesn't win I'm gonna ask them to make it a skin for me XD

I'm really looking forward to more purple and pink apparel!
@JetBlackSteel I've been manipping since 2007 so I know most of the ins and outs of filtering and Photoshop's layer effects. I also started digital painting recently, but you can also tell that I'm a little newbieish in that area.

:) I highly doubt you used a stock photo on the following grounds:
- Fairly uniform shading - unusual to find that
- Contrast is not extreme - almost definitely not a photo
- Colours alternate a lot - usually the result of added noise or another filter. It can also be duplicated with a difference layer or screen/overlay of another texture, but it's also unusual to find something like that.
- The hard lines - are usually easier to add by hand or with the pen tool. Outline on the white lines look as if they were added as a 1 px outline on overlay mode either with a black colour on a low opacity or with another darkish colour.

Speckle can also be done by scattering in the x and y axis and scattering the dimensions of the brush in photoshop. c: Though the usual brushes are easier, ahah and some texture is necessary. :)

(Dude if you were disqualified, most of the winning skins from the other festivals and most of the entries in this contest would have to be disqualified, so I'd relax. A lot. It's a good entry. :3 When I say obvious, I mean obvious obvious ones. You know the entries I'm talking about. I also know that some manips can take up to ten hours to complete so sometimes it's actually easier to paint something by hand than it is to manip it. I also know that many of the texture effects are almost impossible to duplicate via painting: they must have come from photos. )

I suppose it's always about finding the balance between it all. What I mean about whether I should use texture or not is the fact that that glossy look on my entry is because I used the basic circle brush and literally everything I paint looks like a ball of oil.
@JetBlackSteel I've been manipping since 2007 so I know most of the ins and outs of filtering and Photoshop's layer effects. I also started digital painting recently, but you can also tell that I'm a little newbieish in that area.

:) I highly doubt you used a stock photo on the following grounds:
- Fairly uniform shading - unusual to find that
- Contrast is not extreme - almost definitely not a photo
- Colours alternate a lot - usually the result of added noise or another filter. It can also be duplicated with a difference layer or screen/overlay of another texture, but it's also unusual to find something like that.
- The hard lines - are usually easier to add by hand or with the pen tool. Outline on the white lines look as if they were added as a 1 px outline on overlay mode either with a black colour on a low opacity or with another darkish colour.

Speckle can also be done by scattering in the x and y axis and scattering the dimensions of the brush in photoshop. c: Though the usual brushes are easier, ahah and some texture is necessary. :)

(Dude if you were disqualified, most of the winning skins from the other festivals and most of the entries in this contest would have to be disqualified, so I'd relax. A lot. It's a good entry. :3 When I say obvious, I mean obvious obvious ones. You know the entries I'm talking about. I also know that some manips can take up to ten hours to complete so sometimes it's actually easier to paint something by hand than it is to manip it. I also know that many of the texture effects are almost impossible to duplicate via painting: they must have come from photos. )

I suppose it's always about finding the balance between it all. What I mean about whether I should use texture or not is the fact that that glossy look on my entry is because I used the basic circle brush and literally everything I paint looks like a ball of oil.
Participating in Trick or Treat
tumblr_n03fz4yBaK1rni37eo1_500.gif
@Darketernity
Hmmm I wonder how gross and disturbing we can be with the Plague contest. Gore and entrails~ I'm going to make my entry as disturbing as possibly >:3
@Darketernity
Hmmm I wonder how gross and disturbing we can be with the Plague contest. Gore and entrails~ I'm going to make my entry as disturbing as possibly >:3
@JetBlackSteel I'd probably do a hannibal inspired one. Eheheh.
;D
@JetBlackSteel I'd probably do a hannibal inspired one. Eheheh.
;D
Participating in Trick or Treat
tumblr_n03fz4yBaK1rni37eo1_500.gif
As someone that's a little queesy over gore I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to the plague one or not! I bet it will be amazing but I know some people are concerned about getting kicked in the teeth if they post something that goes [i]too[/i] overboard. It's gonna be fun to see where the limit really lies on content ratings. I'm sure most won't be a problem but people can get creative! [quote name="JetBlackSteel" date="2013-09-11 04:11:47"]@EisenDragoon Ugh I love all of those Nearly finished but here's my second entry [URL=http://s101.photobucket.com/user/star9837/media/Arcane2.png.html][IMG]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m70/star9837/Arcane2.png[/IMG][/URL][/quote] Those wing adornmeennnttsssss That is so amazingly pretty. I really hope it wins!
As someone that's a little queesy over gore I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to the plague one or not! I bet it will be amazing but I know some people are concerned about getting kicked in the teeth if they post something that goes too overboard.

It's gonna be fun to see where the limit really lies on content ratings. I'm sure most won't be a problem but people can get creative!
JetBlackSteel wrote on 2013-09-11 04:11:47:
@EisenDragoon
Ugh I love all of those

Nearly finished but here's my second entry
Arcane2.png

Those wing adornmeennnttsssss
That is so amazingly pretty. I really hope it wins!
RBCsdS1.png oUnj1Rs.png
Eisen's Skins & Accents ... and Skincents!
We can do adornments as long as they don't go outside of the lines (so to speak)? I had a few shimmering beads and such in the hair of my entry but I wasn't sure if it was allowed so took them off.
We can do adornments as long as they don't go outside of the lines (so to speak)? I had a few shimmering beads and such in the hair of my entry but I wasn't sure if it was allowed so took them off.
singerrunesig.png wowbox.png
tatsbox.png
firstgenr.png
Rynn.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24 25