Back

Skins and Accents

Share and sell your skin creations with other players.
TOPIC | Starfall Contest Q&A, Discussion
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Wow, this is pretty lulz.

Fanworks are against TOS so, why would you state that it's "based on Nightvale" if...you know for a fact that fan-stuff is against TOS?

Since Neopets was just mentioned, it's the exact same thing on their site. You can't have a pet in Super Mario overalls & hat, jumping on a goomba, and expect it to be published on the site in any fashion. They can't wear Mickey Mouse ears. They can't have trademarked properties.

So, next time you make a skin that is supposedly vague and not actually related to the thing you mention at all, just don't mention that it's referencing anything? That's pretty obvious. @Juun had a good point, and there's really no need to dogpile him/her because they were stating rules.
Wow, this is pretty lulz.

Fanworks are against TOS so, why would you state that it's "based on Nightvale" if...you know for a fact that fan-stuff is against TOS?

Since Neopets was just mentioned, it's the exact same thing on their site. You can't have a pet in Super Mario overalls & hat, jumping on a goomba, and expect it to be published on the site in any fashion. They can't wear Mickey Mouse ears. They can't have trademarked properties.

So, next time you make a skin that is supposedly vague and not actually related to the thing you mention at all, just don't mention that it's referencing anything? That's pretty obvious. @Juun had a good point, and there's really no need to dogpile him/her because they were stating rules.
Flight Rep Time:

Lightning|Water|Plague|Wind

Or browse some Old Oaks for sale?
@Hol
Firstly, you show your ignorance. WTNV is an audio with no images whatsoever. Don't make me laugh.
Secondly, you don't know the difference between fanon and canon. Educate yourself.
@Hol
Firstly, you show your ignorance. WTNV is an audio with no images whatsoever. Don't make me laugh.
Secondly, you don't know the difference between fanon and canon. Educate yourself.
Participating in Trick or Treat
tumblr_n03fz4yBaK1rni37eo1_500.gif
@Juun Firstly, where exactly does the skin take 'all its elements' from WTNV?
Highlight the areas where it takes all its elements from WTNV and show me the source elements from WTNV. Since you know the source quite well, it should not be too difficult to do.

Secondy, digital currency on a dragon site hardly constitutes selling if it is obtained from faireground games.
If you wish to make a statement on the creator's of WTNV's behalf, contact them and then post a screenshot of the reply that you receive onto this thread.
@Juun Firstly, where exactly does the skin take 'all its elements' from WTNV?
Highlight the areas where it takes all its elements from WTNV and show me the source elements from WTNV. Since you know the source quite well, it should not be too difficult to do.

Secondy, digital currency on a dragon site hardly constitutes selling if it is obtained from faireground games.
If you wish to make a statement on the creator's of WTNV's behalf, contact them and then post a screenshot of the reply that you receive onto this thread.
I found the Night Vale-inspired skin iffy until I remembered that while the official Night Vale logo does feature a purple eye, said eye does not look all that much like the eyes on the skin. (This is what the logo looks like, for those who are curious.) If the skin had used that particular design, with the colors blocked out in that way and the crescent moon pupil, that probably would not have been an acceptable skin. But I do not think Night Vale owns the concept of purple eyes in general, so I think the skin is probably okay, though I can't say for sure.

Will the admins still think it's too iffy? I dunno, that's up to them to decide.

Anyway, it's a really cool skin, @Lace. I really like it! Gorgeous.

edit: I forgot to say - I would find the "making a profit" problem would apply more to FR (as the site takes in money from its users) than to Lace. It could be seen as benefiting the site, even if only indirectly. That's why the admins might have to be wary of the legality of accepting a fandom-related skin.
I found the Night Vale-inspired skin iffy until I remembered that while the official Night Vale logo does feature a purple eye, said eye does not look all that much like the eyes on the skin. (This is what the logo looks like, for those who are curious.) If the skin had used that particular design, with the colors blocked out in that way and the crescent moon pupil, that probably would not have been an acceptable skin. But I do not think Night Vale owns the concept of purple eyes in general, so I think the skin is probably okay, though I can't say for sure.

Will the admins still think it's too iffy? I dunno, that's up to them to decide.

Anyway, it's a really cool skin, @Lace. I really like it! Gorgeous.

edit: I forgot to say - I would find the "making a profit" problem would apply more to FR (as the site takes in money from its users) than to Lace. It could be seen as benefiting the site, even if only indirectly. That's why the admins might have to be wary of the legality of accepting a fandom-related skin.
You know what annoys me?
The fact that people don't jump on the blatant STOCK PHOTO PLAGIARISTS and instead on people ( @Lace included) who likely spent a lot of time creating a skin from SCRATCH.

Yes you know what I mean. Instead of stealing random images of The Galaxy, the latest fad amongst skin creators, they seem to put actual WORK into their creations.

And seeing as we're on the topic of calling random people out for 'Plagiarism From Random Corporations' why don't we start with Page 4? If you don't know what the Medusa Cascade is, it's a fictional place out of Doctor Who. Something based upon the Medusa Cascade, should therefore also be disqualified.

Oh, and look. @Hearsepower. Eyes. @KidaOokami eyes on pearlcatcher wings.
Maybe they were also unconsciously plagiarising through a shared collective hallucination. Their entries are also brilliant and popular.

How could we have possibly thought that eyes are actually arcane? I mean, they MUST HAVE BEEN PLAGIARISED FROM WTNV. Or the human body. How dare people put eyes onto their dragon skins or into human bodies, for that matter.

My suspicion, is that 'calling people out publically' is more about 'eliminating potential competitors from the contest' then it is about justice.
You know what annoys me?
The fact that people don't jump on the blatant STOCK PHOTO PLAGIARISTS and instead on people ( @Lace included) who likely spent a lot of time creating a skin from SCRATCH.

Yes you know what I mean. Instead of stealing random images of The Galaxy, the latest fad amongst skin creators, they seem to put actual WORK into their creations.

And seeing as we're on the topic of calling random people out for 'Plagiarism From Random Corporations' why don't we start with Page 4? If you don't know what the Medusa Cascade is, it's a fictional place out of Doctor Who. Something based upon the Medusa Cascade, should therefore also be disqualified.

Oh, and look. @Hearsepower. Eyes. @KidaOokami eyes on pearlcatcher wings.
Maybe they were also unconsciously plagiarising through a shared collective hallucination. Their entries are also brilliant and popular.

How could we have possibly thought that eyes are actually arcane? I mean, they MUST HAVE BEEN PLAGIARISED FROM WTNV. Or the human body. How dare people put eyes onto their dragon skins or into human bodies, for that matter.

My suspicion, is that 'calling people out publically' is more about 'eliminating potential competitors from the contest' then it is about justice.
Woah what's going on I just got pinged.

Did I do something wrong? I haven't read back through the convo but something about plagiarism?
Woah what's going on I just got pinged.

Did I do something wrong? I haven't read back through the convo but something about plagiarism?

a2c1b3b3e59c05125bff3f57f57737067c35a567.jpg

Gem-Gened, XYX, And just plain cool Gen 2 Hatchlings
@Darketernity I was feeling super upset about this whole thing but your posts are making me feel so much better. Thank you. I'm glad there is support backing me, I don't understand why people are coming after me about something like this. I just wanted to make a silly fandom reference but I don't think I'll ever make that mistake again 3:

I mean my skin doesn't have any WTNV elements. It just has eyes. And other users have eyes on their skins... So it's just ahhh.

Lays down
cries a bit
Thanks for supporting me lovely. It means a lot. ;w;
@Darketernity I was feeling super upset about this whole thing but your posts are making me feel so much better. Thank you. I'm glad there is support backing me, I don't understand why people are coming after me about something like this. I just wanted to make a silly fandom reference but I don't think I'll ever make that mistake again 3:

I mean my skin doesn't have any WTNV elements. It just has eyes. And other users have eyes on their skins... So it's just ahhh.

Lays down
cries a bit
Thanks for supporting me lovely. It means a lot. ;w;
@Darketernity You're being needlessly rude.

Also, as a reminder:

It's not just fake game currency. Even giving it out for free results in a profit via the skin blueprints, which require gems.
@Darketernity You're being needlessly rude.

Also, as a reminder:

It's not just fake game currency. Even giving it out for free results in a profit via the skin blueprints, which require gems.
@Juun As you are also needlessly rude to the point that you are posting on a public forum calling out (again in public) that an individual is plagiarising. c:

Now that it is public. Have you not contacted the admin and provided evidence? Wouldn't that be a better idea instead of choosing to post unsubstantiated claims here?

It is on this basis that I must question your motives. I must remind you that plagiarism is a serious offence. Slander is also a serious offence punishable under law.

You are yet to provide substantial proof that @Lace is (and I quote here "uses the same imagery as NV works" and how this is "disrespectful"). Obviously, the creators of Night Vale can at any time submit a DMCA takedown notice, it is indeed their intellectual property if @Lace is indeed plagiarising. If you are moving on the creator's of Night Vale's behalf, yes you are well within your rights to submit a claim on their behalf which is why I asked whether you have an email
@Juun As you are also needlessly rude to the point that you are posting on a public forum calling out (again in public) that an individual is plagiarising. c:

Now that it is public. Have you not contacted the admin and provided evidence? Wouldn't that be a better idea instead of choosing to post unsubstantiated claims here?

It is on this basis that I must question your motives. I must remind you that plagiarism is a serious offence. Slander is also a serious offence punishable under law.

You are yet to provide substantial proof that @Lace is (and I quote here "uses the same imagery as NV works" and how this is "disrespectful"). Obviously, the creators of Night Vale can at any time submit a DMCA takedown notice, it is indeed their intellectual property if @Lace is indeed plagiarising. If you are moving on the creator's of Night Vale's behalf, yes you are well within your rights to submit a claim on their behalf which is why I asked whether you have an email
Just gonna put my 00.02% cents in here:

My interpretation of the TOS is this:

- Things INSPIRED by existing works -- ranging from Van Gogh's Starry Starry Night, to anime mechas, to indeed, nightvale? A-OK as long as you don't -depict any copyrighted characters or imagery-. When I did my skin I listened to Royals by Lorde a ton and parts of the rendering are inspired by the flow of the song. I assume this is OK.

- Things that use copyrighted imagery and characters? Not OK. SO, while I could do a dragon with a super mario inspired pallete and markings, I couldn't -actually paint a dragon to look like mario-. I see 'inspired' skins all the time uploaded as one-shot skins.

I dunno if my skin got mentioned in this at all due to all the edits -- but I saw a lot of discussion of tentacles. And I mentioned back in the old open skins thread that I was working on a nightvale inspired skin. I want to note that my mad dragon? Not my nightvale inspired skin. My nightvale inspired skin had eyes on the wings and I didn't like the color pallete and I ended up scrapping it and trying the mad-dragon I eventually made. Which was inspired by the arcane world page.

I used tentacles because I've seen them associated with Strange Creatures From Beyond ALL OVER the place, in numerous works of fiction. I'm p. sure my skin is 100% TOS compliant. *Shrugs*

I think the Spectral Lines skin is in a bit more of a gray area since Lace mentioned a Nightvale related title about it and made no secret about it being inspired by nightvale -- but it's really baffling to me why people are arguing so vitriolically about it on here. It's up to the Devs now if it wins or not. But it doesn't use any imagery directly from nightvale (not even the stuff described on the show!) -- it seems to fall firmly into the Works Distinct From Nightvale That Have Been Inspired By Nightvale. So I'm guessing it wouldn't cheese off the NV creators, or violate the site's TOS. But ultimately it isn't UP to us. It's up to the devs on this site and the NV creators. So. Deep breaths people. Deep, deep breaths.
Just gonna put my 00.02% cents in here:

My interpretation of the TOS is this:

- Things INSPIRED by existing works -- ranging from Van Gogh's Starry Starry Night, to anime mechas, to indeed, nightvale? A-OK as long as you don't -depict any copyrighted characters or imagery-. When I did my skin I listened to Royals by Lorde a ton and parts of the rendering are inspired by the flow of the song. I assume this is OK.

- Things that use copyrighted imagery and characters? Not OK. SO, while I could do a dragon with a super mario inspired pallete and markings, I couldn't -actually paint a dragon to look like mario-. I see 'inspired' skins all the time uploaded as one-shot skins.

I dunno if my skin got mentioned in this at all due to all the edits -- but I saw a lot of discussion of tentacles. And I mentioned back in the old open skins thread that I was working on a nightvale inspired skin. I want to note that my mad dragon? Not my nightvale inspired skin. My nightvale inspired skin had eyes on the wings and I didn't like the color pallete and I ended up scrapping it and trying the mad-dragon I eventually made. Which was inspired by the arcane world page.

I used tentacles because I've seen them associated with Strange Creatures From Beyond ALL OVER the place, in numerous works of fiction. I'm p. sure my skin is 100% TOS compliant. *Shrugs*

I think the Spectral Lines skin is in a bit more of a gray area since Lace mentioned a Nightvale related title about it and made no secret about it being inspired by nightvale -- but it's really baffling to me why people are arguing so vitriolically about it on here. It's up to the Devs now if it wins or not. But it doesn't use any imagery directly from nightvale (not even the stuff described on the show!) -- it seems to fall firmly into the Works Distinct From Nightvale That Have Been Inspired By Nightvale. So I'm guessing it wouldn't cheese off the NV creators, or violate the site's TOS. But ultimately it isn't UP to us. It's up to the devs on this site and the NV creators. So. Deep breaths people. Deep, deep breaths.
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25