Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [GG] Cooking Contest!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
@Sylvandyr
That's such a beautiful photo and I bet it tastes delicious too! *liccs computer screen*

I definitely want to enter! Time to decide what I want to make!
@Sylvandyr
That's such a beautiful photo and I bet it tastes delicious too! *liccs computer screen*

I definitely want to enter! Time to decide what I want to make!
XW2PxEW.png
@BrightIce Thank you so much! :) I hope you have fun with your dish!
@BrightIce Thank you so much! :) I hope you have fun with your dish!
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
[center][b]Fruit Dumplings (Knedle)[/b] [center][img]https://i.ibb.co/m4VNCFw/IMG-20190524-090552.jpg[/img][/center] [img]https://i.ibb.co/41hLkvb/Plum-Pudding.png[/img] [b]Category: Plum pudding[/b][/center] When I saw the plum pudding in Stardew Valley, I immediately thought of this treat. It is definitely not traditional plum pudding but rather a cool, filling dessert. Its egg shape even resembles the in-game image! You can use pretty much any fruit to fill these dumplings! Since plums are out of the question where I live, I used apricots. [b]For the potato puree:[/b] [LIST] [*]2-3 medium potatoes (about 1 lb) [*]oil or warm butter [/LIST] [b]For the dumplings:[/b] [LIST] [*]cooled potato puree [*]one cup of flour [*]2 eggs [*]a pinch of salt [/LIST] [b]The coating:[/b] [LIST] [*]1/4 cup sugar [*]1/2 cup breadcrumbs [*]1 tbsp. cinnamon powder [/LIST] [b]The filling[/b] consists of your favorite fruit coated in sugar. The traditional recipe uses [i]plums[/i] (Gomboti), but since they are out of season here I used my second favorite, [i]apricots[/i]! I heard of friends using strawberries, cherries, pears... so pretty much any soft, juicy fruits. [center][img]https://i.ibb.co/LChqz7C/IMG-20190524-081514.jpg[/img][/center] [center][b]How it's made:[/b][/center] [b]I. Making the mashed potatoes:[/b][LIST=1] [*]Skin the potatoes and cut them in small/medium chunks. [*]Boil them with a pinch of salt until they are thoroughly done. [*]Mash them with the oil/butter until smooth.[/LIST] [b]II. Making the raw dumplings:[/b][LIST=1] [*]Once the puree is cooled down, mix it with the eggs, salt and flour. [emoji=mirror size=1][i]You'll see that potato dough is very soft and sticky, so powder your hands with flour. The final consistency should be about the same as warm Play-Doh.[/i] [*]Put a pot of water on the stove to boil. We'll need that water hot soon! [*]Pit your selected fruit or cut it in chunks about the size of a small plum, and coat them in sugar. [*]Take bits of dough that are about the same size as a plum and mold the dough around the fruit to form a sphere or egg shape. The dumplings should be somewhere between the size of a large egg and a tennis ball, depending on the filling.[/LIST] [b]III. Boiling the treats![/b][LIST=1] [*]Once the water is boiling, gently drop the dumplings in with a large spoon. [*]Boil the dumplings for 20-25 minutes. [emoji=coatl size=1][i]It's best to stay around the stove while they are boiling. On rare occasions, a dumpling may decide it doesn't want to be eaten and split apart. This releases warm syrup in the water, and it can make the pot overflow. If the water in the pot starts bubbling and changes color, simply remove the culprit.[/i] [*]While waiting, mix the ingredients for the coating and place them in a large plate. [/LIST] When the dumplings are done, take them out and roll them in the mixture to coat them generously. Remember their dough does not have sugar! The dumplings are best served cold. Enjoy! [emoji=familiar heart size=1] Edit: changed the small Plum Pudding icon from the Stardew Wiki.
Fruit Dumplings (Knedle)
IMG-20190524-090552.jpg
Plum-Pudding.png
Category: Plum pudding

When I saw the plum pudding in Stardew Valley, I immediately thought of this treat. It is definitely not traditional plum pudding but rather a cool, filling dessert. Its egg shape even resembles the in-game image!

You can use pretty much any fruit to fill these dumplings! Since plums are out of the question where I live, I used apricots.

For the potato puree:
  • 2-3 medium potatoes (about 1 lb)
  • oil or warm butter

For the dumplings:
  • cooled potato puree
  • one cup of flour
  • 2 eggs
  • a pinch of salt

The coating:
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 tbsp. cinnamon powder

The filling consists of your favorite fruit coated in sugar. The traditional recipe uses plums (Gomboti), but since they are out of season here I used my second favorite, apricots! I heard of friends using strawberries, cherries, pears... so pretty much any soft, juicy fruits.
IMG-20190524-081514.jpg
How it's made:

I. Making the mashed potatoes:
  1. Skin the potatoes and cut them in small/medium chunks.
  2. Boil them with a pinch of salt until they are thoroughly done.
  3. Mash them with the oil/butter until smooth.

II. Making the raw dumplings:
  1. Once the puree is cooled down, mix it with the eggs, salt and flour.

You'll see that potato dough is very soft and sticky, so powder your hands with flour. The final consistency should be about the same as warm Play-Doh.
  2. Put a pot of water on the stove to boil. We'll need that water hot soon!
  3. Pit your selected fruit or cut it in chunks about the size of a small plum, and coat them in sugar.
  4. Take bits of dough that are about the same size as a plum and mold the dough around the fruit to form a sphere or egg shape. The dumplings should be somewhere between the size of a large egg and a tennis ball, depending on the filling.

III. Boiling the treats!
  1. Once the water is boiling, gently drop the dumplings in with a large spoon.
  2. Boil the dumplings for 20-25 minutes.

It's best to stay around the stove while they are boiling. On rare occasions, a dumpling may decide it doesn't want to be eaten and split apart. This releases warm syrup in the water, and it can make the pot overflow. If the water in the pot starts bubbling and changes color, simply remove the culprit.
  3. While waiting, mix the ingredients for the coating and place them in a large plate.

When the dumplings are done, take them out and roll them in the mixture to coat them generously. Remember their dough does not have sugar!

The dumplings are best served cold. Enjoy!

Edit: changed the small Plum Pudding icon from the Stardew Wiki.
A logo with two small green sprouts and the title Spontaneous Sprouts
[center][size=5][b]Fish Stew[/b][/size] [img]https://stardewvalleywiki.com/mediawiki/images/6/6f/Fish_Stew.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/aFXSZYJ.jpg[/img] As taught to me a while back by a very exuberant cook who does not speak English very well. I have already gone to the trouble of 'translating' her instructions, here: [size=3][b]Sweet and Sour Soup (adapted as Fish Stew)[/b][/size][/center] [b]Ingredients[/b] 1-2 lbs protein (choice of seafood, tofu, or even something like pork) A whole bulb of garlic 1/4 c minced lemongrass 2 tbsp fresh tamarind 1/4 c fish sauce 1/4 c sugar heaping tsp soup stock of choice heaping tbsp tamarind soup mix half a pineapple, chunks Pick 2-3, for around 2-3 lbs: taro stem, potato, bok choy, ong choy, spinach, etc. okra, ~15-20, however many you want, chopped into 1 inch pieces tomatoes, 3-10, however many you want Garnishes: spring onion, malongai (pictured above, to the right), eryngium, could even do cilantro. [b]Instructions[/b] [LIST=1] [*]Cut fish/meat into 2-in pieces. Crush or mince garlic. [*]Fry fish, garlic, lemongrass, in a large pot; add a quart of boiling water or more. [*]Removing some of the boiling water from the pot, dissolve the fresh tamarind with the water, and add the dissolved tamarind to the pot. (Don't add the tamarind pulp that doesn't dissolve. For best results, repeat a couple times until much of the tamarind has been dissolved.) [*]Add soup stock, tamarind soup mix, fish sauce, and sugar. [*]As you chop them, add the vegetables, starting with the pineapple, and going in order of length of time required to cook them. (Eg, potatoes always go first as they take the longest.) [*]Simmer until cooked. Add whatever garnishes you wish to use. [/LIST] It is, as you can see by the ingredients, a very flexible dish. The important part is the liquid - for this, pineapple and tamarind are very important for getting the flavour right. I wouldn't use canned pineapple, it just doesn't come out right.
Fish Stew
Fish_Stew.png
aFXSZYJ.jpg

As taught to me a while back by a very exuberant cook who does not speak English very well. I have already gone to the trouble of 'translating' her instructions, here:

Sweet and Sour Soup (adapted as Fish Stew)

Ingredients
1-2 lbs protein (choice of seafood, tofu, or even something like pork)
A whole bulb of garlic
1/4 c minced lemongrass
2 tbsp fresh tamarind
1/4 c fish sauce
1/4 c sugar
heaping tsp soup stock of choice
heaping tbsp tamarind soup mix
half a pineapple, chunks
Pick 2-3, for around 2-3 lbs: taro stem, potato, bok choy, ong choy, spinach, etc.
okra, ~15-20, however many you want, chopped into 1 inch pieces
tomatoes, 3-10, however many you want
Garnishes: spring onion, malongai (pictured above, to the right), eryngium, could even do cilantro.

Instructions
  1. Cut fish/meat into 2-in pieces. Crush or mince garlic.
  2. Fry fish, garlic, lemongrass, in a large pot; add a quart of boiling water or more.
  3. Removing some of the boiling water from the pot, dissolve the fresh tamarind with the water, and add the dissolved tamarind to the pot. (Don't add the tamarind pulp that doesn't dissolve. For best results, repeat a couple times until much of the tamarind has been dissolved.)
  4. Add soup stock, tamarind soup mix, fish sauce, and sugar.
  5. As you chop them, add the vegetables, starting with the pineapple, and going in order of length of time required to cook them. (Eg, potatoes always go first as they take the longest.)
  6. Simmer until cooked. Add whatever garnishes you wish to use.

It is, as you can see by the ingredients, a very flexible dish. The important part is the liquid - for this, pineapple and tamarind are very important for getting the flavour right. I wouldn't use canned pineapple, it just doesn't come out right.
l6nCFA8.png
Wow, I would never have thought to make these recipes! They look great. :D
Wow, I would never have thought to make these recipes! They look great. :D
1fTWTjV.png
Note to others using the wiki's food images directly: I noticed the images were broken today, and I think their SSL certificate (the thing that confirms the https:// for the site) expired. They might get it renewed soon, but if you're nervous about it, you can save copies of the images and host them yourself! (I just did.)
Note to others using the wiki's food images directly: I noticed the images were broken today, and I think their SSL certificate (the thing that confirms the https:// for the site) expired. They might get it renewed soon, but if you're nervous about it, you can save copies of the images and host them yourself! (I just did.)
[quote name="Sylvandyr" date="2019-05-25 22:24:24" ] Note to others using the wiki's food images directly: I noticed the images were broken today, and I think their SSL certificate (the thing that confirms the https:// for the site) expired. They might get it renewed soon, but if you're nervous about it, you can save copies of the images and host them yourself! (I just did.) [/quote] Oh no! Thanks for clearing that up. When I tried to access the page just now, my browser tried to tell me it might be malicious (it's not) because its security certificate just expired. Unfortunately I don't have any control over that, but everyone can rest assured the website is not malevolent. Edit: The wiki's certificate has been renewed! Carry on with your cooking. :)
Sylvandyr wrote on 2019-05-25 22:24:24:
Oh no! Thanks for clearing that up.
When I tried to access the page just now, my browser tried to tell me it might be malicious (it's not) because its security certificate just expired. Unfortunately I don't have any control over that, but everyone can rest assured the website is not malevolent.

Edit: The wiki's certificate has been renewed! Carry on with your cooking. :)
1fTWTjV.png
[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/4hPORzW.png[/img][/center] [columns] [indent] [nextcol] [font=verdana][size=5]Happy Memorial Day Weekend to Americans, and Happy Greenskeeper Gathering to everyone. Time for a mini challenge! Have you ever been to a farmer’s market or community market in your town? If you have, what was it like and what local specialties did you see? If you have not, use a search engine like Google to find the next one near you. When is it? [nextcol] [indent] [/columns] [center][i](Open until Monday, May 27, 20:40 FR Time)[/i][/center]
4hPORzW.png
Happy Memorial Day Weekend to Americans, and Happy Greenskeeper Gathering to everyone. Time for a mini challenge!

Have you ever been to a farmer’s market or community market in your town? If you have, what was it like and what local specialties did you see? If you have not, use a search engine like Google to find the next one near you. When is it?

(Open until Monday, May 27, 20:40 FR Time)
1fTWTjV.png
Yay, the Stardew Valley wiki's certificate is renewed! :)
Quote:
Have you ever been to a farmer’s market or community market in your town? If you have, what was it like and what local specialties did you see? If you have not, use a search engine like Google to find the next one near you. When is it?

I have once! There were a few foodstuffs: honey, cookies, nuts, bread, and those sorts of things. I also saw a clay sculptor and someone selling betta fish, and there were some hanging potted plants. For local specialties, I think the honey was made by local bees, but I didn't see anything particularly unique to the region. It was a small Sunday market. Pretty neat, though :)
Yay, the Stardew Valley wiki's certificate is renewed! :)
Quote:

I have once! There were a few foodstuffs: honey, cookies, nuts, bread, and those sorts of things. I also saw a clay sculptor and someone selling betta fish, and there were some hanging potted plants. For local specialties, I think the honey was made by local bees, but I didn't see anything particularly unique to the region. It was a small Sunday market. Pretty neat, though :)
Here's a really small market every Tuesday & Friday. They don't sell anything special, but some regional fruit & vegetables (non-regionals too, though) and pork & beef that comes from a family business instead of mass animal husbandry, so we try to buy our meat products there. (But yeah, sausage-products we still buy in the supermarket too often...)
I also like to buy fruit & vegetables there, even if they're not regional, then they're at least not wrapped in plastic...

Aside that a question though - could I make an entry & later change it again?
I made Sushi for Saturday anyway and took a pic just in case, but the presentation is not very theme-fitting :D'
I don't yet know if I'll be able to decide for something else + actually make it, in time though... :')
Here's a really small market every Tuesday & Friday. They don't sell anything special, but some regional fruit & vegetables (non-regionals too, though) and pork & beef that comes from a family business instead of mass animal husbandry, so we try to buy our meat products there. (But yeah, sausage-products we still buy in the supermarket too often...)
I also like to buy fruit & vegetables there, even if they're not regional, then they're at least not wrapped in plastic...

Aside that a question though - could I make an entry & later change it again?
I made Sushi for Saturday anyway and took a pic just in case, but the presentation is not very theme-fitting :D'
I don't yet know if I'll be able to decide for something else + actually make it, in time though... :')
  • FR+9
  • 29y/o
  • they/them
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9