Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [GG] Cooking Contest!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hmm, no it isn't. Is it possible you could host it on Imgur? That always works pretty well on Flight Rising's forums.

Edit: Thank you, we can see it now!
Hmm, no it isn't. Is it possible you could host it on Imgur? That always works pretty well on Flight Rising's forums.

Edit: Thank you, we can see it now!
1fTWTjV.png
[b]Cauliflower Cheese[/b] [img]https://i.imgur.com/CIhMMOR.png[/img] This is an old favourite, but mum and I do it with the corn flakes on top, which makes it next level yum! I confess I got slightly distracted on FR while this was cooking (rookie mistake), so it's ever so slightly overdone, but not in a way that matters! [img]https://i.imgur.com/5NX7g0A.jpg[/img] [b]Ingredients[/b] 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into large florets 40g/1½oz butter 40g/1½oz plain flour 400ml/14fl oz milk 1 tsp English mustard (this is to taste, and you can use different mustard if you want) 100g/3½oz mature cheddar cheese, grated (or so :p) salt and freshly ground black pepper 1/2 cup Corn Flakes, lightly crushed (this quantity is a guess... grab a handful, crush it up a bit, sprinkle on top. Repeat until you've got enough!) [b]Method[/b] Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5. Wash the cauliflower thoroughly and place in a large saucepan of salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the cauliflower is almost tender, but still fairly firm. Tip into a colander and leave to drain. (Or cook in the microwave). To make the sauce, melt the butter in a medium, heavy-based pan and stir in the flour. Cook over a gentle heat for one minute. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the milk, a little at a time*, stirring well between each addition. Return the pan to a medium heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for two minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the mustard and two thirds of the cheese and set aside. Arrange the cauliflower in and ovenproof baking dish. Carefully pour over the sauce, ensuring the cauliflower is completely covered**. Sprinkle over the corn flakes, then top with remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden-brown and bubbling. * Note, it's really important to add the milk a little at a time while the mix is still thick, then stir until smooth. Otherwise it's likely to get lumpy and much harder to get those lumps out. **My sauce was super thick, which is great, but if that's the case, it might be easier to put in half the cauli, then some sauce, then the rest of each, so that you can spread it through easier. Shaking the dish helps get the sauce to mix through.
Cauliflower Cheese

CIhMMOR.png

This is an old favourite, but mum and I do it with the corn flakes on top, which makes it next level yum! I confess I got slightly distracted on FR while this was cooking (rookie mistake), so it's ever so slightly overdone, but not in a way that matters!

5NX7g0A.jpg

Ingredients

1 medium head cauliflower, broken into large florets
40g/1½oz butter
40g/1½oz plain flour
400ml/14fl oz milk
1 tsp English mustard (this is to taste, and you can use different mustard if you want)
100g/3½oz mature cheddar cheese, grated (or so :p)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup Corn Flakes, lightly crushed (this quantity is a guess... grab a handful, crush it up a bit, sprinkle on top. Repeat until you've got enough!)

Method

Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5.

Wash the cauliflower thoroughly and place in a large saucepan of salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the cauliflower is almost tender, but still fairly firm. Tip into a colander and leave to drain. (Or cook in the microwave).

To make the sauce, melt the butter in a medium, heavy-based pan and stir in the flour. Cook over a gentle heat for one minute. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the milk, a little at a time*, stirring well between each addition. Return the pan to a medium heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for two minutes, then remove from the heat.

Stir in the mustard and two thirds of the cheese and set aside. Arrange the cauliflower in and ovenproof baking dish. Carefully pour over the sauce, ensuring the cauliflower is completely covered**. Sprinkle over the corn flakes, then top with remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden-brown and bubbling.

* Note, it's really important to add the milk a little at a time while the mix is still thick, then stir until smooth. Otherwise it's likely to get lumpy and much harder to get those lumps out.

**My sauce was super thick, which is great, but if that's the case, it might be easier to put in half the cauli, then some sauce, then the rest of each, so that you can spread it through easier. Shaking the dish helps get the sauce to mix through.
Ink wash brush-style art of three red and gold Wildclaws performing a dragon dance with a green Auraboa puppet, with text for Nature's Year of the Wood Dragon push. D9tBovl.png w8o0xW1.png
[b]Choc Chip Cookies[/b] [img]https://i.imgur.com/aWmDW8Z.png[/img] OMG, I love these ones. The texture and flavour is sooo goooood. [img]https://i.imgur.com/cimBSBv.jpg[/img] [b]Ingredients[/b] 1 Cup Plain Flour 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar 1/2 Cup White Sugar 1/4 tspn Bicarb Soda (Baking Soda) 1/2 tspn Salt 1 tspn Vanilla 125g Butter 1 Egg 250g Choc Chips (I prefer melty ones than hold your shape ones, but each to their own) [b]Method[/b] 1 Beat butter, sugars and vanilla with a mixer on medium speed until well blended 2 Beat in egg, mixing well 3 Add flour, baking soda and salt, mixing slowly to incorporate, then beat to blend well 4 Stir in choc chips 5 Drop batter in ~1 tablespoon portions onto a baking sheet, about 5cm apart 6 Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for about 10 minutes - until the edges of the cookies are brown but the centre is still pale 7 Let cookies cool on tray for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely (well, the ones you haven' eaten already!) PS I got so excited about making these quickly that I forgot I'd be taking a photo, so took no care regarding size/spacing... but they still taste good!
Choc Chip Cookies

aWmDW8Z.png

OMG, I love these ones. The texture and flavour is sooo goooood.

cimBSBv.jpg

Ingredients

1 Cup Plain Flour
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup White Sugar
1/4 tspn Bicarb Soda (Baking Soda)
1/2 tspn Salt
1 tspn Vanilla
125g Butter
1 Egg
250g Choc Chips (I prefer melty ones than hold your shape ones, but each to their own)

Method

1 Beat butter, sugars and vanilla with a mixer on medium speed until well blended
2 Beat in egg, mixing well
3 Add flour, baking soda and salt, mixing slowly to incorporate, then beat to blend well
4 Stir in choc chips
5 Drop batter in ~1 tablespoon portions onto a baking sheet, about 5cm apart
6 Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for about 10 minutes - until the edges of the cookies are brown but the centre is still pale
7 Let cookies cool on tray for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely (well, the ones you haven' eaten already!)

PS I got so excited about making these quickly that I forgot I'd be taking a photo, so took no care regarding size/spacing... but they still taste good!
Ink wash brush-style art of three red and gold Wildclaws performing a dragon dance with a green Auraboa puppet, with text for Nature's Year of the Wood Dragon push. D9tBovl.png w8o0xW1.png
Wow, what an amazing spread. I wish I could taste all of them. [emoji=coatl tongue size=1] Just a little note to let everyone know that today is the last day of Greenskeeper Gathering! If you want to enter the contest and haven't yet, make sure you do by the end of today! Also, Happy Pride Month to all Americans! [emoji=pastel rainbow size=1]
Wow, what an amazing spread. I wish I could taste all of them.

Just a little note to let everyone know that today is the last day of Greenskeeper Gathering! If you want to enter the contest and haven't yet, make sure you do by the end of today!

Also, Happy Pride Month to all Americans!
1fTWTjV.png
I sort of didn't get around to making a proper entry, but i did take a stab at decorating a cake like the pink cake [img]https://i.imgur.com/RnNbCR7b.jpg[/img] made with a box mix, and store bought whipped topping!
I sort of didn't get around to making a proper entry, but i did take a stab at decorating a cake like the pink cake
RnNbCR7b.jpg
made with a box mix, and store bought whipped topping!
@Quib That looks lovely, do you have a picture with your username/ID# in it and "GG 2019" or "Everbloom Vale"?

To all competitors: Thank you so much for participating! The other judges and I will tabulate scores and discuss, and should have the results of the judging for you before Wednesday. Stay tuned!
@Quib That looks lovely, do you have a picture with your username/ID# in it and "GG 2019" or "Everbloom Vale"?

To all competitors: Thank you so much for participating! The other judges and I will tabulate scores and discuss, and should have the results of the judging for you before Wednesday. Stay tuned!
1fTWTjV.png
oh right, I messed around with my russian piping tips, and let it sit in the fridge for a while before i remembered to take another picture [img]https://i.imgur.com/elVihsS.jpg[/img] ..I just noticed the pink cake description says "there's heart shaped candies on it" i should be disqualified x-x but also, how do you get heart candies from a melon? and what kind of melon is pink on the outside? i also, too late, made some really good coleslaw just sharing for fun because i like how it turned out [img]https://i.imgur.com/g4XHR1p.jpg[/img] it's got the cabbage, mayonnaise and (apple cider) vinegar, also a roast broccoli, a little olive oil, seasonings, (garlic power, onion powder, pepper, i think some ginger) and toppings (sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and soy nuts)
oh right, I messed around with my russian piping tips, and let it sit in the fridge for a while before i remembered to take another picture
elVihsS.jpg

..I just noticed the pink cake description says "there's heart shaped candies on it" i should be disqualified x-x but also, how do you get heart candies from a melon? and what kind of melon is pink on the outside?

i also, too late, made some really good coleslaw
just sharing for fun because i like how it turned out
g4XHR1p.jpg
it's got the cabbage, mayonnaise and (apple cider) vinegar,
also a roast broccoli, a little olive oil, seasonings, (garlic power, onion powder, pepper, i think some ginger) and toppings (sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and soy nuts)
@Quib Re: Pink Melons-Clearly Stardew Valley and Flight Rising exist on the same planet [item=watermelon][item=sugarmelon]
@Quib

Re: Pink Melons-Clearly Stardew Valley and Flight Rising exist on the same planet

Watermelon Sugarmelon
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/7C3hchm.png[/img] [size=2]@Sylvandyr @Mistbird @Ganondorf @Goldia @BrightIce @odakotarose @JinxMoonstone @CraftyBLT @MandragoraAutumn @FirozTaverbi @nightskyseer @Eialyne @SkylarkLanding @Quib[/size][/center] [columns] [indent] [nextcol] [font=verdana][size=5] It's now the time you've all been waiting for: time to announce the winners! The other judges and I have deliberated, and in the end it was [i]very[/i] close; the first-place dish's score was actually within 1% of the second-place dish's score. Without further ado, the 3rd place winner is... @Ganondorf for [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2683302/3#post_39050914]Sweet and Sour Soup/Fish Stew![/url] 2nd place goes to... @Eialyne for their [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2683302/7#post_39142802]Strange Buns![/url] And 1st place... @MandragoraAutumn with [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2683302/5#post_39123456]Maki Rolls![/url] [i]Winners: please list the prizes in order from most desired to least: first place lists only one prize, second place lists two, and third place lists all three.[/i] Thank you everyone, veterans and newbies, for entering my contest. It is truly one of my favorite parts of Greenskeeper Gathering and I look forward to it every year! [emoji=familiar heart size=1] Thank you as well to our volunteer judges. If anyone has feedback or questions regarding this event, I would love to take them either here or via Private Message. [/font][/size] [nextcol] [indent] [/columns] [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/RVlaJK2.png[/img][/center]

It's now the time you've all been waiting for: time to announce the winners! The other judges and I have deliberated, and in the end it was very close; the first-place dish's score was actually within 1% of the second-place dish's score.

Without further ado, the 3rd place winner is... @Ganondorf for Sweet and Sour Soup/Fish Stew!

2nd place goes to... @Eialyne for their Strange Buns!

And 1st place... @MandragoraAutumn with Maki Rolls!

Winners: please list the prizes in order from most desired to least: first place lists only one prize, second place lists two, and third place lists all three.

Thank you everyone, veterans and newbies, for entering my contest. It is truly one of my favorite parts of Greenskeeper Gathering and I look forward to it every year! Thank you as well to our volunteer judges.

If anyone has feedback or questions regarding this event, I would love to take them either here or via Private Message.
RVlaJK2.png
1fTWTjV.png
Congrats to all the winners :) Thanks for the fun contest!
Congrats to all the winners :) Thanks for the fun contest!
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9