Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [GG] Cooking Contest!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I chose to make blueberry tart from the list! Mine has lemon too, though. It turned out really good but really rich. :D [img]https://i.imgur.com/uxvhgJZ.jpg[/img] Blueberry Lemon Tart Pie crust: 1 c. all-purpose flour 1/4 tsp salt 1/3 c. cold butter (just over 6 Tbsp) 3 or 4 Tbsp cold water Cut butter into dry ingredients, then add just enough water to moisten. Combine with a fork. Shape into a ball, flatten slightly, then roll out on a lightly floured surface. Fold into quarters and place in a 9” pie plate, unfold and press into place. Trim and crimp the edges. Refrigerate until firm, about 10-15 minutes. Bake at 450 F for 11-13 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely before using. Lemon Curd (filling #1): 6 egg yolks 1 c. sugar Zest of one lemon Juice of two lemons 6 Tbsp cold butter, cut up Press the yolks through a sieve into a pot and mix with sugar. Add lemon juice. Cook over medium-low heat until it thickens—do not boil. Turn off the heat and add butter and zest, stirring until butter melts. Cool in fridge. Blueberry syrup (filling #2): 1 pint fresh blueberries 1/4 c. sugar 2 Tbsp water 1 Tbsp corn starch Put all but half a cup of the blueberries into a small pot and mix with the sugar. In a small bowl or large measuring cup, mix the water with the corn starch until smooth. Add to berry mixture. Cook over medium-low heat until the berries start to burst and the syrup thickens, five to ten minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the rest of the berries. Allow to cool. Assembling the pie: Pour the lemon curd into the cooked pie shell. Pour the blueberry mixture on top. Place in refrigerator until thoroughly chilled and fillings have set. Serve cold.
I chose to make blueberry tart from the list! Mine has lemon too, though. It turned out really good but really rich. :D

uxvhgJZ.jpg

Blueberry Lemon Tart

Pie crust:
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c. cold butter (just over 6 Tbsp)
3 or 4 Tbsp cold water

Cut butter into dry ingredients, then add just enough water to moisten. Combine with a fork. Shape into a ball, flatten slightly, then roll out on a lightly floured surface. Fold into quarters and place in a 9” pie plate, unfold and press into place. Trim and crimp the edges. Refrigerate until firm, about 10-15 minutes.

Bake at 450 F for 11-13 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely before using.

Lemon Curd (filling #1):

6 egg yolks
1 c. sugar
Zest of one lemon
Juice of two lemons
6 Tbsp cold butter, cut up

Press the yolks through a sieve into a pot and mix with sugar. Add lemon juice. Cook over medium-low heat until it thickens—do not boil. Turn off the heat and add butter and zest, stirring until butter melts. Cool in fridge.

Blueberry syrup (filling #2):

1 pint fresh blueberries
1/4 c. sugar
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp corn starch

Put all but half a cup of the blueberries into a small pot and mix with the sugar. In a small bowl or large measuring cup, mix the water with the corn starch until smooth. Add to berry mixture. Cook over medium-low heat until the berries start to burst and the syrup thickens, five to ten minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the rest of the berries. Allow to cool.

Assembling the pie:

Pour the lemon curd into the cooked pie shell. Pour the blueberry mixture on top. Place in refrigerator until thoroughly chilled and fillings have set. Serve cold.
XW2PxEW.png
@BrightIce That looks so good! I like the sound of the lemon curd combination too, I might have to borrow this recipe :) Thanks for sharing!

Side note: Have you made a version of tarts with blackberries before? I love blackberries, I just have very little experience with tarts and desserts.
@BrightIce That looks so good! I like the sound of the lemon curd combination too, I might have to borrow this recipe :) Thanks for sharing!

Side note: Have you made a version of tarts with blackberries before? I love blackberries, I just have very little experience with tarts and desserts.
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
@Sylvandyr
I love blackberries too and suspect they would actually be even better than the blueberries in this recipe, since they're not as sweet as blueberries. I might have to try that when the blackberries start to get ripe later this summer... :D
@Sylvandyr
I love blackberries too and suspect they would actually be even better than the blueberries in this recipe, since they're not as sweet as blueberries. I might have to try that when the blackberries start to get ripe later this summer... :D
XW2PxEW.png
@BrightIce Ooh, if you try it out, hopefully you get a lovely tart :)
@BrightIce Ooh, if you try it out, hopefully you get a lovely tart :)
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
I made [b]Crab Cakes![/b] [s]i took pictures, ate them, and then realized i forgot my username so i did it all over again haha[/s] [img]https://i.imgur.com/9867JJH.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/19d6uVK.jpg[/img] [b]Ingredients[/b] 1/2 c. mayonnaise 1 large egg, beaten 1 tbsp. dijon mustard 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce 1/2 tsp. to 1 tsp. chili sauce (depends on taste) 1 lb. imitation crab meat approx. 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes (to taste) 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, finely ground oil for frying your choice of garnish (lemon wedges or chives are used in many recipes but whatever you like works) [b]Directions:[/b] 1. Whisk mayo, egg, mustard, worcestershire sauce, and chili sauce until smooth. 2. Toss the crabmeat and cracker crumbs in another bowl until blended, and then fold in the mayo mixture. 3. Refrigerate for 1 hour or more. 4. Scoop into small balls using an ice cream scoop, wash your hands, and roll them in hand until they stick together. 5. Heat up your frying oil to about medium or a little lower (these don't need quite as much heat as real crab meat) [u][i][b]BE CAREFUL!!![/b][/i][/u] [i][b][emoji=fire rune size=1] [color=orange]SPECIAL NOTE: If your oil flames up for any reason, DO NOT PUT WATER ON IT, that only makes it worse. Just cover the pan with a lid and remove it from the heat, if you can do so safely.[/color][/b][/i] 6. Fry crab cakes until they are golden brown and yummy looking, and heated all the way through. With smaller ones like these that seems to be about a minute to a minute and a half per side, but watch them closely. 7. Transfer to plates, sprinkle some red pepper flakes across the top, and garnish how you like. Makes about 20 crab cakes. [b]Optional Spicy Aioli Sauce:[/b] 3-4 tbsp. mayonnaise 2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce 1 tsp. chili sauce 2 tsp. dijon mustard Stir until well blended and serve alongside crab cakes. Adapted from [url=https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/baltimore-style-crab-cakes]this recipe[/url]
I made Crab Cakes!
i took pictures, ate them, and then realized i forgot my username so i did it all over again haha

9867JJH.png
19d6uVK.jpg

Ingredients
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 large egg, beaten
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. to 1 tsp. chili sauce (depends on taste)
1 lb. imitation crab meat
approx. 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes (to taste)
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, finely ground
oil for frying
your choice of garnish (lemon wedges or chives are used in many recipes but whatever you like works)

Directions:
1. Whisk mayo, egg, mustard, worcestershire sauce, and chili sauce until smooth.
2. Toss the crabmeat and cracker crumbs in another bowl until blended, and then fold in the mayo mixture.
3. Refrigerate for 1 hour or more.
4. Scoop into small balls using an ice cream scoop, wash your hands, and roll them in hand until they stick together.
5. Heat up your frying oil to about medium or a little lower (these don't need quite as much heat as real crab meat) BE CAREFUL!!!
SPECIAL NOTE: If your oil flames up for any reason, DO NOT PUT WATER ON IT, that only makes it worse. Just cover the pan with a lid and remove it from the heat, if you can do so safely.
6. Fry crab cakes until they are golden brown and yummy looking, and heated all the way through. With smaller ones like these that seems to be about a minute to a minute and a half per side, but watch them closely.
7. Transfer to plates, sprinkle some red pepper flakes across the top, and garnish how you like.

Makes about 20 crab cakes.

Optional Spicy Aioli Sauce:
3-4 tbsp. mayonnaise
2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. chili sauce
2 tsp. dijon mustard

Stir until well blended and serve alongside crab cakes.

Adapted from this recipe
cLyqlLC.png 1qSQ4Z1.gif
@BrightIce That looks amazing, I'm gonna try your recipe for sure. Weirdly enough I don't really like raw blueberries, but I love them cooked in pies and tarts and stuff, haha.
@BrightIce That looks amazing, I'm gonna try your recipe for sure. Weirdly enough I don't really like raw blueberries, but I love them cooked in pies and tarts and stuff, haha.
cLyqlLC.png 1qSQ4Z1.gif
[center][b]Rice Pudding[/b][/center] [img]https://i.imgur.com/ovwE8lQ.jpg[/img] [i]Ingredients:[/i] 3 cups white rice, cooked [i](Note: I used Carolina Gold rice- it's a heirloom long grain rice that's suited to rice pudding. Follow directions on the package to cook.)[/i] 3 cups milk 2/3 cup sugar 2 tablespoons butter 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Lemon zest [i](I find that an entire lemon makes it just a little too lemony for my taste, but that might depend on the size of your lemon.) [/i] 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus some for sprinkling This is a pretty standard stovetop rice pudding recipe. Combine the cooked rice, milk, sugar, and butter in a saucepan, then add vanilla. I usually use medium-high heat - once it starts bubbling, you need to constantly stir to prevent the milk from forming a skin on the top. It's about 25-30 minutes from the time the liquid starts simmering; keep stirring until most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and mix in lemon zest and cinnamon. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. You can let it cool and eat at room temperature or slightly hot or serve chilled. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. This recipe can scale up or down - I did three batches at once in a large pot, although it took extra time to absorb the liquid/finish cooking.
Rice Pudding

ovwE8lQ.jpg

Ingredients:
3 cups white rice, cooked (Note: I used Carolina Gold rice- it's a heirloom long grain rice that's suited to rice pudding. Follow directions on the package to cook.)
3 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Lemon zest (I find that an entire lemon makes it just a little too lemony for my taste, but that might depend on the size of your lemon.)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus some for sprinkling

This is a pretty standard stovetop rice pudding recipe. Combine the cooked rice, milk, sugar, and butter in a saucepan, then add vanilla. I usually use medium-high heat - once it starts bubbling, you need to constantly stir to prevent the milk from forming a skin on the top. It's about 25-30 minutes from the time the liquid starts simmering; keep stirring until most of the liquid is absorbed.

Remove from heat and mix in lemon zest and cinnamon. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. You can let it cool and eat at room temperature or slightly hot or serve chilled. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

This recipe can scale up or down - I did three batches at once in a large pot, although it took extra time to absorb the liquid/finish cooking.
OOF HubOOF RaffleArt MarketplaceIn-flight Raffle
All these recipes look amazing! I took a picture of the cake that I made, but I forgot to include my ID. By the time I remembered, I'd given away half of it and it is no longer really fit for pictures. [emoji=tundra sad size=1] Does it count if I edit my username in somehow? I'm sure I can figure something out otherwise, haha.
All these recipes look amazing!

I took a picture of the cake that I made, but I forgot to include my ID. By the time I remembered, I'd given away half of it and it is no longer really fit for pictures. Does it count if I edit my username in somehow? I'm sure I can figure something out otherwise, haha.
nightskyseer |answers to parts of username or Spectral|she/her/they/them | fr time +0
Fruit Salad [img]https://i.imgur.com/gLWJ98x.jpg[/img] I forgot to add my name tag, fortunately there were leftovers... [img]https://i.imgur.com/uzXzJeE.jpg[/img] This recipe is variable depending on the fruits you like and have on hand. Below is the recipe as I made the pictured salad. Recipe: 1/2 cup raspberries 1 cup blueberries 1 cup strawberries 1 small mango, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented 1/4 cup chopped pecans 1 tbls sugar, optional Add all fruit and pecans in a serving bowl and mix. If fruit is not sweet enough add the sugar.
Fruit Salad

gLWJ98x.jpg

I forgot to add my name tag, fortunately there were leftovers...

uzXzJeE.jpg

This recipe is variable depending on the fruits you like and have on hand. Below is the recipe as I made the pictured salad.

Recipe:

1/2 cup raspberries
1 cup blueberries
1 cup strawberries
1 small mango, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
2 mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 tbls sugar, optional

Add all fruit and pecans in a serving bowl and mix.
If fruit is not sweet enough add the sugar.
TENNruE.png6ZC5v9U.pngivoYByq.pngM2QRnnZ.pngsG1sVgb.png
@nightskyseer Just do the same thing as CraftyBLT's post above! This way you have a nice picture for presentation & one for proof :) ----- [img]https://i.imgur.com/gIJwGfU.jpg[/img] [center][img]https://stardewvalleywiki.com/mediawiki/images/b/b6/Maki_Roll.png[/img] [b][size=7]Maki Rolls[/size][/b][/center] [img]https://stardewvalleywiki.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/f/fb/Fish.png/24px-Fish.png[/img][img]https://stardewvalleywiki.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/1/13/Seaweed.png/24px-Seaweed.png[/img][img]https://stardewvalleywiki.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/d/da/Rice.png/24px-Rice.png[/img] [b]Ingredients[/b] Fish, Seaweed, Rice Vegetables, Rice Vinegar, Salt, Sugar [b]For ~5 people:[/b] [LIST=1] [*]Put [b]400g of short grain rice[/b] (though there are differences, but you'll find them labeled) into a [b]strainer[/b]. Put the strainer into a big enough [b]bowl[/b] and wash the rice with cold water, empty the water, rinse & repeat until the water stays clear. (Or almost clear, as this part can be a big waste of water. Some recommend to wash the rice minimum 7 times, that may be a bit much, but you should at least wash it 3 times.) [*]Remove the strainer from the water, then let the rice sit in there for an hour. [*]Put the rice in a [b]wide pot[/b] and add [b]550ml of warm (not hot) water[/b]. Put the [b]lid[/b] on the pot (Important! You should not open the lid until the rice is done from here on, so glass lids are handy.) and bring the rice to boil. [*]Once it boils turn down the heat and let it simmer until all water is absorbed by the rice (takes about 15 minutes). [*]Remove from the heat source & let it sit for another 15 minutes (lid still closed). [*]During this time you can mix the seasoning out of [b]2 tablespoonful rice vinegar, 2 teaspoonful of sugar & 2 teaspoonful of salt[/b]. [*]Now you need room... You now have about 900g of cooked rice & probably no tray or anything thats big enough to fit all of it, so if you have a very clean kitchen surface that's ok with having the seasoning on it or can cover it up, that would do well. Put the rice on it, and spread it out. Try to not squish it, but spread it very loosely. [*]Scatter the seasoning on it & ideally use a [b]wooden spoon[/b] to distribute it by turning over the rice again & again. Still, never squish! [*]Now the rice is ready! Best prepare some [b]handwater[/b] out of warm water and a bit of rice vinegar to cover your fingers in so the rice doesn't stick to them too much. [*]Put a [b]Nori sheet[/b] (for small Maki rolls half ones are best) on a [b]bamboo mat[/b] & cover about 2/3 of it with a not too thick layer of rice. [*]Put the ingredients you want on the rice! Since I prepared this to take it out the next day, I obviously didn't use fresh fish. I used canned tuna, cucumber, avocado, mango, red beetroot & red paprika + cream cheese in some. Obviously some of those are more 'traditional' and some are definitely not, but as long as you don't put a sausage in there or ... at least don't expect your guests to eat that, a lot of things do well. [*]Roll it! And finally cut into about 6 pieces. Arrange. Done! [/LIST] ----- So, in the end a sorry for that weeb presentation, yes those are supposed to be Akatsuki clouds... :') I made this last Friday evening for 'Japan-Day' on Saturday, which is not a Con, but many people Cosplay anyway & me & gf did Sasori & Deidara. (Our standard/comfort ccharacters, basically...) That's why the rolls are on the side as well, for the 'black' bg. Otherwise that would've looked very different & actually I wanted to make an extra plate but it was late & was so tired... That's why I asked if we can make another entry/replace the first one? Though atm it seems I won't get to that in time, anyway... This is not roe by the way, but a vegan look-alike! It doesn't really taste like roe in my opinion and the consistency is different too, it's made out of seaweeds and tastes so. In the fridge it also doesn't spoil for several months after opening! It's from Ikea x)' Saying that because I've never seen it anywhere else.
@nightskyseer Just do the same thing as CraftyBLT's post above! This way you have a nice picture for presentation & one for proof :)

gIJwGfU.jpg
Maki_Roll.png Maki Rolls

24px-Fish.png24px-Seaweed.png24px-Rice.png Ingredients

Fish, Seaweed, Rice
Vegetables, Rice Vinegar, Salt, Sugar

For ~5 people:
  1. Put 400g of short grain rice (though there are differences, but you'll find them labeled) into a strainer. Put the strainer into a big enough bowl and wash the rice with cold water, empty the water, rinse & repeat until the water stays clear. (Or almost clear, as this part can be a big waste of water. Some recommend to wash the rice minimum 7 times, that may be a bit much, but you should at least wash it 3 times.)
  2. Remove the strainer from the water, then let the rice sit in there for an hour.
  3. Put the rice in a wide pot and add 550ml of warm (not hot) water. Put the lid on the pot (Important! You should not open the lid until the rice is done from here on, so glass lids are handy.) and bring the rice to boil.
  4. Once it boils turn down the heat and let it simmer until all water is absorbed by the rice (takes about 15 minutes).
  5. Remove from the heat source & let it sit for another 15 minutes (lid still closed).
  6. During this time you can mix the seasoning out of 2 tablespoonful rice vinegar, 2 teaspoonful of sugar & 2 teaspoonful of salt.
  7. Now you need room... You now have about 900g of cooked rice & probably no tray or anything thats big enough to fit all of it, so if you have a very clean kitchen surface that's ok with having the seasoning on it or can cover it up, that would do well. Put the rice on it, and spread it out. Try to not squish it, but spread it very loosely.
  8. Scatter the seasoning on it & ideally use a wooden spoon to distribute it by turning over the rice again & again. Still, never squish!
  9. Now the rice is ready! Best prepare some handwater out of warm water and a bit of rice vinegar to cover your fingers in so the rice doesn't stick to them too much.
  10. Put a Nori sheet (for small Maki rolls half ones are best) on a bamboo mat & cover about 2/3 of it with a not too thick layer of rice.
  11. Put the ingredients you want on the rice! Since I prepared this to take it out the next day, I obviously didn't use fresh fish. I used canned tuna, cucumber, avocado, mango, red beetroot & red paprika + cream cheese in some. Obviously some of those are more 'traditional' and some are definitely not, but as long as you don't put a sausage in there or ... at least don't expect your guests to eat that, a lot of things do well.
  12. Roll it! And finally cut into about 6 pieces. Arrange. Done!

So, in the end a sorry for that weeb presentation, yes those are supposed to be Akatsuki clouds... :')
I made this last Friday evening for 'Japan-Day' on Saturday, which is not a Con, but many people Cosplay anyway & me & gf did Sasori & Deidara. (Our standard/comfort ccharacters, basically...) That's why the rolls are on the side as well, for the 'black' bg.
Otherwise that would've looked very different & actually I wanted to make an extra plate but it was late & was so tired...
That's why I asked if we can make another entry/replace the first one? Though atm it seems I won't get to that in time, anyway...

This is not roe by the way, but a vegan look-alike!
It doesn't really taste like roe in my opinion and the consistency is different too, it's made out of seaweeds and tastes so.
In the fridge it also doesn't spoil for several months after opening! It's from Ikea x)' Saying that because I've never seen it anywhere else.
  • FR+9
  • 29y/o
  • they/them
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9