Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | How do we feel about Thunder Lizards
Personally it's strange given some are clearly bird-like and the whole "archeology" thing is a tad odd since it's not archeology, it'd be paleontology, coming from a dino nerd.
Personally it's strange given some are clearly bird-like and the whole "archeology" thing is a tad odd since it's not archeology, it'd be paleontology, coming from a dino nerd.
archaeology makes sense since this is just the first of many digsites and the others are definitely going to have different focuses. it's a little off as it is now, but i'd rather have one digsite be a slight bit misnamed than have all future digsite options be severely restricted in their theming :P
archaeology makes sense since this is just the first of many digsites and the others are definitely going to have different focuses. it's a little off as it is now, but i'd rather have one digsite be a slight bit misnamed than have all future digsite options be severely restricted in their theming :P
bkxiiMw.png MlJMkHy.gif bkxiiMw.png bkxiiMw.png
hi! i'm meteor.
check out some of my projects? → or the coliseum bounty npc suggestion!

» the bestiary outfit project
» cross-flight outfit project
» 100x100 bio icons
» accent shop
Staff already commented on the archeology thing, saying that since there will be dif themes they're using Archeology as a catch-all term since it'd be difficult to name Arlo otherwise.

The bird-like thing isn't. Weird either to me. Since that clearly means the Troodoo's, who are inspired by Troodons- who are very much feathered, bird-like raptors. A lot of predatory dinosaurs like them were feathered.
Staff already commented on the archeology thing, saying that since there will be dif themes they're using Archeology as a catch-all term since it'd be difficult to name Arlo otherwise.

The bird-like thing isn't. Weird either to me. Since that clearly means the Troodoo's, who are inspired by Troodons- who are very much feathered, bird-like raptors. A lot of predatory dinosaurs like them were feathered.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
Well, there is nothing wrong with them being bird-like, birds ARE dinosaurs and many non-avian dinosaurs, particularly theropods, were extremely bird-like in appearance. "Troodon" is labeled as a paravian, extremely closely related to birds. Not only that but birds existed during the time of non-avian dinosaurs. In case you're curious what some dinosaurs most likely looked like: [img]https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Michael-Pittman/publication/308156449/figure/fig2/AS:406840941793283@1474009847566/Model-of-Psittacosaurus-Based-on-Skin-and-Pigmentation-Patterns-on-SMF-R-4970.png[/img] [right][i]Psittacosaurus[/i][/right] [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/Ubirajara_jubatus_revised.png/1200px-Ubirajara_jubatus_revised.png[/img] [right][i]Ubirajara, a Comspognathus relative[/i][/right] [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8f/11/9c/8f119c361b21732fccaa454c01b4dbc5.png[/img] [right][i]Sinoceratops[/i][/right] [img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBmICaiUYAMcvDe.jpg[/img] [right][i]Yutyrannus, a Tyrannosaurus relative[/i][/right] [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/65047028af75337bc1a8dd754de1e734/809a29a59c117542-51/s540x810/54b54d4fed2d0ba653ea6f2012f975f5ee39fd1c.png[/img] [right][i]Parasaurolophus[/i][/right] [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/33/Deinonychus_ewilloughby.png/1280px-Deinonychus_ewilloughby.png[/img] [right][i]Deinonychus[/i][/right] [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/4759660dda86ce99bdd033bc54e8b6bf/d5465636ec945a89-cb/s1280x1920/59900dd295bdf3c597cad8a5a33e66dff7072b22.png[/img] [right][i]Velociraptor[/i][/right] Also, the title is supposed to be alliterative. While archaeology and palaeontology aren't the same thing, there's going to be archaeological stuff in the future.
Well, there is nothing wrong with them being bird-like, birds ARE dinosaurs and many non-avian dinosaurs, particularly theropods, were extremely bird-like in appearance.

"Troodon" is labeled as a paravian, extremely closely related to birds. Not only that but birds existed during the time of non-avian dinosaurs.

In case you're curious what some dinosaurs most likely looked like:

Model-of-Psittacosaurus-Based-on-Skin-and-Pigmentation-Patterns-on-SMF-R-4970.png
Psittacosaurus

1200px-Ubirajara_jubatus_revised.png
Ubirajara, a Comspognathus relative

8f119c361b21732fccaa454c01b4dbc5.png
Sinoceratops

FBmICaiUYAMcvDe.jpg
Yutyrannus, a Tyrannosaurus relative

54b54d4fed2d0ba653ea6f2012f975f5ee39fd1c.png
Parasaurolophus

1280px-Deinonychus_ewilloughby.png
Deinonychus

59900dd295bdf3c597cad8a5a33e66dff7072b22.png
Velociraptor

Also, the title is supposed to be alliterative. While archaeology and palaeontology aren't the same thing, there's going to be archaeological stuff in the future.
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
As others have said, we've known for a long while that there are feathered bird-like dinosaurs and that birds themselves are dinosaurs as well. So, from one dino-nerd to another, it's odd that you'd find that strange. Unless you're saying it's odd within the context of prehistorical magical dragon universe. Which just tells us that sornithian birds evolved in a much similar way here as they did on earth.

As others have said, we've known for a long while that there are feathered bird-like dinosaurs and that birds themselves are dinosaurs as well. So, from one dino-nerd to another, it's odd that you'd find that strange. Unless you're saying it's odd within the context of prehistorical magical dragon universe. Which just tells us that sornithian birds evolved in a much similar way here as they did on earth.

Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
I think OP was confused about the "Lizard" part of the title rather than the fact that birds are dinosaurs !

Which makes sense, but "Thunder Lizard" is what brontosaurus means. It's an old word, that we came up with before we realized they weren't exactly. Lizard-y.

And the dig site is only the first one - it makes sense for it to be dino-related, the next ones might visit some more recent time periods :)
I think OP was confused about the "Lizard" part of the title rather than the fact that birds are dinosaurs !

Which makes sense, but "Thunder Lizard" is what brontosaurus means. It's an old word, that we came up with before we realized they weren't exactly. Lizard-y.

And the dig site is only the first one - it makes sense for it to be dino-related, the next ones might visit some more recent time periods :)
tumblr_inline_pawby3qPs91rbjkvp_540.png
[quote name="ColonelChicken" date="2022-03-22 05:05:45" ] I think OP was confused about the "Lizard" part of the title rather than the fact that birds are dinosaurs ! Which makes sense, but "Thunder Lizard" is what brontosaurus means. It's an old word, that we came up with before we realized they weren't exactly. Lizard-y. [/quote] OH! That makes sense. I've grown up with the "terrible lizard" and "thunder lizard" nicknames/definitions that I automatically see them as synonymous with 'dinosaur' that it hadn't even occurred to me that that might be confusing to someone else. lol
ColonelChicken wrote on 2022-03-22 05:05:45:

OH! That makes sense. I've grown up with the "terrible lizard" and "thunder lizard" nicknames/definitions that I automatically see them as synonymous with 'dinosaur' that it hadn't even occurred to me that that might be confusing to someone else. lol
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
"Lizard" is very outdated, but historically associated with dinosaurs. When you say "thunder lizard" we know immediately you're talking about dinosaurs - even though it's not technically correct.

(Or at least those of us who were obsessed with dinosaurs as kid do)
"Lizard" is very outdated, but historically associated with dinosaurs. When you say "thunder lizard" we know immediately you're talking about dinosaurs - even though it's not technically correct.

(Or at least those of us who were obsessed with dinosaurs as kid do)
I mean, 'dinosaur' literally means 'terrible lizard', so...

(From deinos, 'terrible', cf Deinonychus 'terrible claw', and sauros, 'lizard', cf Saurischian 'lizard-hipped')
I mean, 'dinosaur' literally means 'terrible lizard', so...

(From deinos, 'terrible', cf Deinonychus 'terrible claw', and sauros, 'lizard', cf Saurischian 'lizard-hipped')
Coffee Pot
May be grumpy before coffee. And after coffee. (FR+8)
5loJkio.jpg