Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Crossroads vs. Trading Post
Does it bother anyone else that you TRADE with other players at the "crossroads" and that the "trading post" is literally an image of crossroads to the various NPC shops with a sign post and all? Does no one else get constantly confused by this? Is it just me?
Does it bother anyone else that you TRADE with other players at the "crossroads" and that the "trading post" is literally an image of crossroads to the various NPC shops with a sign post and all? Does no one else get constantly confused by this? Is it just me?
It's like driving on a parkway and parking in a driveway ;-) (yeah, I get confused.. but it is what it is)
It's like driving on a parkway and parking in a driveway ;-) (yeah, I get confused.. but it is what it is)
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
It can be confusing at first, but it actually makes sense.

In most fiction, a 'trading post' is where vendors set up shop because it is usually on a crossroads, or close to it, or along the way of a major route. That is what this trading post is, an area where various NPCs have set up their stalls and are doing business with the player characters.

Colloquially, a crossroads is a time in a person's life where they have a important decision to make, that usually will change their life no matter what path they take. For dragons, this decision takes the form of going to other clans. It is only recently, relatively, that players can exchange goods and I think even currency on the crossroads, before it was ONLY dragons that could be sent.

In Sornieth lore (player lore can be different) the player, us, doesn't exist. Our dragons are sentient beings who are masters of their own destinies outside of any influence the deities have. So, therefore, we aren't actually 'trading' dragons or goods on the crossroads, rather our clans are trading with other clans.
It can be confusing at first, but it actually makes sense.

In most fiction, a 'trading post' is where vendors set up shop because it is usually on a crossroads, or close to it, or along the way of a major route. That is what this trading post is, an area where various NPCs have set up their stalls and are doing business with the player characters.

Colloquially, a crossroads is a time in a person's life where they have a important decision to make, that usually will change their life no matter what path they take. For dragons, this decision takes the form of going to other clans. It is only recently, relatively, that players can exchange goods and I think even currency on the crossroads, before it was ONLY dragons that could be sent.

In Sornieth lore (player lore can be different) the player, us, doesn't exist. Our dragons are sentient beings who are masters of their own destinies outside of any influence the deities have. So, therefore, we aren't actually 'trading' dragons or goods on the crossroads, rather our clans are trading with other clans.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
This isn't the first time I've seen this suggested to be changed, it seems to confuse new players, which is understandable.

I didn't really think much of it when I started playing, probably because the features in both areas were about half of what they are now. Back then only 1 dragon (no items) could ever crossover in CR, and Trading Post only had Swipp, Crim and Pinkerton for "trading" items.

Personally, I think changing it at this time will cause more issues for old and returning players who have supported the site up until now. Once you get used to it, the names make sense.
This isn't the first time I've seen this suggested to be changed, it seems to confuse new players, which is understandable.

I didn't really think much of it when I started playing, probably because the features in both areas were about half of what they are now. Back then only 1 dragon (no items) could ever crossover in CR, and Trading Post only had Swipp, Crim and Pinkerton for "trading" items.

Personally, I think changing it at this time will cause more issues for old and returning players who have supported the site up until now. Once you get used to it, the names make sense.
arkantos_signature_by_sludgy_by_sludgy-dben8lb.png
To me the current names make plenty of sense.

Personally I don't see the trading post as a crossroads since it's merely a post pointing out where merchants have stalls in this large field but no actual roads going anywhere other the one that leads to the trading post.

The reason why Crossroads is called Crossroads is because its a crossroads in that dragon's life. Originally the crossroads only allowed players to exchange dragons for dragons or dragons for money (no items could be traded) so its name is a throw back to that since dragons are sapient and moving lairs would be a huge step in their life.

If for some reason the admins were to change the names (which I hope they don't), they should change them to something completely different and not switch them because just switching them would be just as confusing to everyone who is used to the current arrangement and for many players who see it as I do, switching the names would make absolutely no sense
To me the current names make plenty of sense.

Personally I don't see the trading post as a crossroads since it's merely a post pointing out where merchants have stalls in this large field but no actual roads going anywhere other the one that leads to the trading post.

The reason why Crossroads is called Crossroads is because its a crossroads in that dragon's life. Originally the crossroads only allowed players to exchange dragons for dragons or dragons for money (no items could be traded) so its name is a throw back to that since dragons are sapient and moving lairs would be a huge step in their life.

If for some reason the admins were to change the names (which I hope they don't), they should change them to something completely different and not switch them because just switching them would be just as confusing to everyone who is used to the current arrangement and for many players who see it as I do, switching the names would make absolutely no sense
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
The moment you get immersed in the game you will stop seeing them as confusing feature names and see them as aptly names places in sornieth. No need to change. You just need to get used to them.
The moment you get immersed in the game you will stop seeing them as confusing feature names and see them as aptly names places in sornieth. No need to change. You just need to get used to them.
I support changing the name of the Crossroads (but not the Trading Post- that name works better), in lieu of other clarification. Yes, the current name technically does make sense, but that use of the word is rare, and so the current name is bad at describing what the site mechanic actually does.

Perhaps something along the lines of 'Exchange'? It could even break the fourth wall- 'Interplayer Exchange' is too technical-sounding, but much more accurate.

Another way to solve the issue would be additional tutorializing to introduce new players to the different sections of the site.
I support changing the name of the Crossroads (but not the Trading Post- that name works better), in lieu of other clarification. Yes, the current name technically does make sense, but that use of the word is rare, and so the current name is bad at describing what the site mechanic actually does.

Perhaps something along the lines of 'Exchange'? It could even break the fourth wall- 'Interplayer Exchange' is too technical-sounding, but much more accurate.

Another way to solve the issue would be additional tutorializing to introduce new players to the different sections of the site.
windh4.png