Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What are your phobias?
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Let's see:

Needles
Clowns
Bees
Spiders
Heights
Realistic blood and/or gore

I also have anxiety and agoraphobia, so that's fun. While I'm not exactly afraid them, I'm usually pretty uncomfortable around people in animal mascot costumes/fursuits. I can appreciate all the time and effort that it takes to make one, though.
Let's see:

Needles
Clowns
Bees
Spiders
Heights
Realistic blood and/or gore

I also have anxiety and agoraphobia, so that's fun. While I'm not exactly afraid them, I'm usually pretty uncomfortable around people in animal mascot costumes/fursuits. I can appreciate all the time and effort that it takes to make one, though.
Arachnophobia. I'm terrified of spiders. And I'm desperately trying not to be... but they just freak me out.
Arachnophobia. I'm terrified of spiders. And I'm desperately trying not to be... but they just freak me out.
2uequ68.jpg
Spectrophobia: Fear of mirrors.

I'm a coward who is constantly afraid something is going to pop up behind me when I look at myself in anything that causes a reflection.

Pediophobia:
Fear of dolls

My older sister used to collect glass dolls and I've been terrified of them ever since. (No help to the multiple nightmares of them coming to life) THEY STARE AT YOU IN YOUR SLEEP.

I'm also somewhat afraid of the woods, but that's mostly because once when I went for a walk in the woods with my sister (A thing I loved to do), a coyote jumped out at us snarling. Thankfully it just ran away, but it's left me unwilling to go back into the forest..
Spectrophobia: Fear of mirrors.

I'm a coward who is constantly afraid something is going to pop up behind me when I look at myself in anything that causes a reflection.

Pediophobia:
Fear of dolls

My older sister used to collect glass dolls and I've been terrified of them ever since. (No help to the multiple nightmares of them coming to life) THEY STARE AT YOU IN YOUR SLEEP.

I'm also somewhat afraid of the woods, but that's mostly because once when I went for a walk in the woods with my sister (A thing I loved to do), a coyote jumped out at us snarling. Thankfully it just ran away, but it's left me unwilling to go back into the forest..
I have pretty bad trypophobia, and the worst part about it is that sometimes I forget what it's called and look it up when I see the word mentioned somewhere else. It is not fun at all.

Other than that, I have one that's kind of hard to explain? It usually is, at least, so I always just say aquariums. I can't stand being surrounded by water and, especially, sea animals. I've been to our local aquarium twice and the first time, I tried to get my family to move away from the walk through tunnel as fast as possible because I started to panic. The second time the tunnel was closed, thankfully, but I still hated being there. The fear kind of carries over to other things, too. Giant replicas of things like whales and prehistoric sea creatures make me want to go home and never leave it again.

Pictures of things like sharks and other pictures of the ocean can make me start to get nervous, too.

And, I have a huge, huge, huge fear of being bitten. By snakes, dogs, rats, anything to be honest. In seventh grade, our science teacher had a cornsnake named Voldemort and he was the best and I even got to take him home over winter break and summer break, but sometimes I'd have to get someone else to get him out of the tank when I held him. It wasn't all the time, or even most of the time, but some days he'd just seem more okay-with-biting-humans than usual. It kind of sucks because I love animals to death, but I'm afraid of handling them or getting close without knowing them beforehand (even when I know the ways to handle/act around them). :c
I have pretty bad trypophobia, and the worst part about it is that sometimes I forget what it's called and look it up when I see the word mentioned somewhere else. It is not fun at all.

Other than that, I have one that's kind of hard to explain? It usually is, at least, so I always just say aquariums. I can't stand being surrounded by water and, especially, sea animals. I've been to our local aquarium twice and the first time, I tried to get my family to move away from the walk through tunnel as fast as possible because I started to panic. The second time the tunnel was closed, thankfully, but I still hated being there. The fear kind of carries over to other things, too. Giant replicas of things like whales and prehistoric sea creatures make me want to go home and never leave it again.

Pictures of things like sharks and other pictures of the ocean can make me start to get nervous, too.

And, I have a huge, huge, huge fear of being bitten. By snakes, dogs, rats, anything to be honest. In seventh grade, our science teacher had a cornsnake named Voldemort and he was the best and I even got to take him home over winter break and summer break, but sometimes I'd have to get someone else to get him out of the tank when I held him. It wasn't all the time, or even most of the time, but some days he'd just seem more okay-with-biting-humans than usual. It kind of sucks because I love animals to death, but I'm afraid of handling them or getting close without knowing them beforehand (even when I know the ways to handle/act around them). :c
[size=2]Mine are super weird. [quote name="monkfishlover" date="2015-02-08 19:11:36"]It's my fear of the deep sea and fascination of the creatures that live there that makes me wish they had LIVE (not just dead deep sea anglerfish specimens) deep sea animals in aquariums. [/quote] [size=2]I am terrified of drowning/having too much water in my face. I actually really love to swim, as long as I can easily touch the ground if I need to. I can't even let the shower spray directly on my face, and when my guy friends forget and dunk/splash my face, I freak out and hyperventilate... I LOVE ocean life and am wonderfully fascinating by everything that lives there, but I don't think I'll ever be able to go diving or anything. :([/size] [size=2]I have another phobia that is really ridiculous, but I've had it ever since I was a kid. I am really scared of men's haircuts. When I was really little, my brothers would always get their hair cut in the summer, and after they couldn't come near me without me crying or climbing a tree really high to get away from them. It's not quite as bad today, but even now, when my boyfriend or a friend gets their hair cut, I can't look them in the eye/face and I do not want them to touch me at all. It makes my heart rate spike and I get really nervous. My boyfriend keeps mentioning getting one soon, and it makes me so anxious.[/size] [quote name="TheMoon" date="2015-02-09 11:21:56"]My phobias -Dipsophobia- Fear of drinking (Bad family history) -Methyphobia- Fear of alcohol Yes, they are real. No, I'm not being over dramatic.[/quote] [size=2]I didn't know that there was a word for these. Being exposed to people who are drinking makes me really nervous and flighty. I'll sometimes cry when I know my really close friends are out drinking, and I generally cannot befriend anyone who partakes. I sure as hell can't date anyone who drinks, and it's hard to find someone who doesn't at least occasionally. When my friends decide to start and I'm around, I can no longer really talk to them, make eye contact, or be near them. It makes me want to throw up and I start shaking. I've had panic attacks before because of it. I guess I've got a bad family history, too.[/size] [size=2]I've also got a mountain of social anxiety and various phobias centered around that, and I'm really uncomfortable with children. I will seriously freak out of I have to be alone with a kid or if one touches me. [/size]
Mine are super weird.

monkfishlover wrote on 2015-02-08 19:11:36:
It's my fear of the deep sea and fascination of the creatures that live there that makes me wish they had LIVE (not just dead deep sea anglerfish specimens) deep sea animals in aquariums.

I am terrified of drowning/having too much water in my face. I actually really love to swim, as long as I can easily touch the ground if I need to. I can't even let the shower spray directly on my face, and when my guy friends forget and dunk/splash my face, I freak out and hyperventilate... I LOVE ocean life and am wonderfully fascinating by everything that lives there, but I don't think I'll ever be able to go diving or anything. :(

I have another phobia that is really ridiculous, but I've had it ever since I was a kid. I am really scared of men's haircuts. When I was really little, my brothers would always get their hair cut in the summer, and after they couldn't come near me without me crying or climbing a tree really high to get away from them. It's not quite as bad today, but even now, when my boyfriend or a friend gets their hair cut, I can't look them in the eye/face and I do not want them to touch me at all. It makes my heart rate spike and I get really nervous. My boyfriend keeps mentioning getting one soon, and it makes me so anxious.

TheMoon wrote on 2015-02-09 11:21:56:
My phobias

-Dipsophobia- Fear of drinking (Bad family history)
-Methyphobia- Fear of alcohol

Yes, they are real. No, I'm not being over dramatic.

I didn't know that there was a word for these. Being exposed to people who are drinking makes me really nervous and flighty. I'll sometimes cry when I know my really close friends are out drinking, and I generally cannot befriend anyone who partakes. I sure as hell can't date anyone who drinks, and it's hard to find someone who doesn't at least occasionally. When my friends decide to start and I'm around, I can no longer really talk to them, make eye contact, or be near them. It makes me want to throw up and I start shaking. I've had panic attacks before because of it. I guess I've got a bad family history, too.

I've also got a mountain of social anxiety and various phobias centered around that, and I'm really uncomfortable with children. I will seriously freak out of I have to be alone with a kid or if one touches me.
059Arcanineanimated2.gif
Pardon my pixel dust!
@Enigmadoodles

Spectrophobia buddies. :'D I've yet to see anyone else who shares my absolute hatred for mirrors. It's good to know I'm not alone!
@Enigmadoodles

Spectrophobia buddies. :'D I've yet to see anyone else who shares my absolute hatred for mirrors. It's good to know I'm not alone!
hn5xCVk.png
I'm emetophobic. As in the clinical definition of a phobia. Puke makes me have a fight-or-flight reaction (mostly flight) and run and hide. Literally. My whole body freezes then I just make a run for it. I jumped over a wall and hid in the bathroom to get away from a dog that threw up at my last job and started shaking and scratching my arms to poorly soothe the sudden anxiety spike.

I'm getting better thanks to therapy but I still can't deal with puke without feeling sick or feeling like I'm about to jump out of my skin.
I'm emetophobic. As in the clinical definition of a phobia. Puke makes me have a fight-or-flight reaction (mostly flight) and run and hide. Literally. My whole body freezes then I just make a run for it. I jumped over a wall and hid in the bathroom to get away from a dog that threw up at my last job and started shaking and scratching my arms to poorly soothe the sudden anxiety spike.

I'm getting better thanks to therapy but I still can't deal with puke without feeling sick or feeling like I'm about to jump out of my skin.
tumblr_owbxurx8GV1wu89uzo8_r1_500.png
Mostly elevators...It is very hard to get on elevators for me and it's never comfortable or fun. Doesn't actually have a name, but coincides with agoraphobia. I think it's usually classified as that anyway. Oh an aisle at the store I need has too many people in it? Would be hard to easily get out? I'll come back.

Only thing that weirds me out is agoraphobia doesnt seem to make sense with the fear of not having exits and such like that...sounds like it should be fear of open spaces....
Mostly elevators...It is very hard to get on elevators for me and it's never comfortable or fun. Doesn't actually have a name, but coincides with agoraphobia. I think it's usually classified as that anyway. Oh an aisle at the store I need has too many people in it? Would be hard to easily get out? I'll come back.

Only thing that weirds me out is agoraphobia doesnt seem to make sense with the fear of not having exits and such like that...sounds like it should be fear of open spaces....
lik2pA1X.jpg
[quote name="BMVagabond" date="2015-02-13 16:40:51"]@Enigmadoodles Spectrophobia buddies. :'D I've yet to see anyone else who shares my absolute hatred for mirrors. It's good to know I'm not alone![/quote] I could say the same thing honestly, I've never met anyone else with a fear of mirrors either! It really is nice to know there's someone else out there who has the same feelings, especially after being told it's a dumb fear.
BMVagabond wrote on 2015-02-13 16:40:51:
@Enigmadoodles

I could say the same thing honestly, I've never met anyone else with a fear of mirrors either! It really is nice to know there's someone else out there who has the same feelings, especially after being told it's a dumb fear.
It's not a unique phobia, but I have pretty bad Glossophobia, the fear of public speaking. I have literally broken down crying in front of a classroom because someone made me do a presentation. It's at its worst if it feels formal in any way: notecards, a power point, a podium, an the classroom in rows. The only presentation I've ever had to give that I didn't break down was one where we just had to tell a story, no notecards or powerpoint necessary. I just sat on a stool and talked. I was still nervous and took a couple hours to calm down but it actually wasn't the worst thing ever...
It's not a unique phobia, but I have pretty bad Glossophobia, the fear of public speaking. I have literally broken down crying in front of a classroom because someone made me do a presentation. It's at its worst if it feels formal in any way: notecards, a power point, a podium, an the classroom in rows. The only presentation I've ever had to give that I didn't break down was one where we just had to tell a story, no notecards or powerpoint necessary. I just sat on a stool and talked. I was still nervous and took a couple hours to calm down but it actually wasn't the worst thing ever...
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13