Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Any other service dog handlers?
Have yet to see anyone talking about service dogs on here :-)

I currently have an SD and and SDiT, both female silken windhounds! Their names are church and cassava. I used to be a professional trainer (still kind of am, very part time) but burnt out, so I work at a laundromat.
Pics of my girls can be found here

I love talking about non-fab four SDs, the journey to get/train SDs, sighthounds SDs, SD gear, etc etc etc...

I also do dog sports and show. And am adding a third dog to the mix soon, who will also be task trained to help me out around the house if the other two aren't up for it.
Have yet to see anyone talking about service dogs on here :-)

I currently have an SD and and SDiT, both female silken windhounds! Their names are church and cassava. I used to be a professional trainer (still kind of am, very part time) but burnt out, so I work at a laundromat.
Pics of my girls can be found here

I love talking about non-fab four SDs, the journey to get/train SDs, sighthounds SDs, SD gear, etc etc etc...

I also do dog sports and show. And am adding a third dog to the mix soon, who will also be task trained to help me out around the house if the other two aren't up for it.
What do you imagine the effects of a conscious observer might be?
aUKJE16.png
i don't have a service dog or a dog at all. but it is something that's been on mind for years now. especially within the last..about 2 years now. i have just been really unsure about it for a multitude of reasons. i have done some research into it although admittedly not very much and the last time i did look into it was years ago.
i don't have a service dog or a dog at all. but it is something that's been on mind for years now. especially within the last..about 2 years now. i have just been really unsure about it for a multitude of reasons. i have done some research into it although admittedly not very much and the last time i did look into it was years ago.
7oyHvos.png
OuP0IWM.png911operator.pngfdUVIfW.pngANZRVK7.pngJ8QoPxT.pngBT1N47G.png
VvgJdjI.png q9EEy5M.pngll0CfnD.png UqlBGwo.png5hF3FGk.pngTW8ViqF.png
4kekx4D.pngSZwTK40.png2SxeZ07.png3CzZFT6.pngYUzmw5z.pngJEtmhoV.png
@mommacat I see! For what it's worth, I was also very unsure, but once I went for it and finally got an SD, I was MUCH better off and still am today. If you have any questions or need any guidance at all on it, feel free to PM me or ask for my discord. I am always happy to help people! :-)
@mommacat I see! For what it's worth, I was also very unsure, but once I went for it and finally got an SD, I was MUCH better off and still am today. If you have any questions or need any guidance at all on it, feel free to PM me or ask for my discord. I am always happy to help people! :-)
aUKJE16.png
I don't personally have a service dog, but I was a dog trainer for a few years and training working dogs was a dream of mine at one point! That being said I found training dogs to just be way too stressful eventually (I'm not a people person, and half of basic dog training is training the owners too lol), though I still love them!

I'd like to say my girl is more of an emotional support pet but honestly, she needs emotional support herself sometimes haha, she can get quite anxious/uncomfortable around strangers. I brought her to work almost every day during her socialization period and she still does not like people, but I gotta respect it! She's a one family kinda dog.

Your dogs are adorable! Here's a pic of my girl c:
I don't personally have a service dog, but I was a dog trainer for a few years and training working dogs was a dream of mine at one point! That being said I found training dogs to just be way too stressful eventually (I'm not a people person, and half of basic dog training is training the owners too lol), though I still love them!

I'd like to say my girl is more of an emotional support pet but honestly, she needs emotional support herself sometimes haha, she can get quite anxious/uncomfortable around strangers. I brought her to work almost every day during her socialization period and she still does not like people, but I gotta respect it! She's a one family kinda dog.

Your dogs are adorable! Here's a pic of my girl c:
@Usul

thank you! i appreciate that, i may just take you up on it! i think it would be very helpful for me. just a lot that goes into it of course. i'm so glad to hear that it's all worked out for you, and they do well for ya! very good pups you have. c:
@Usul

thank you! i appreciate that, i may just take you up on it! i think it would be very helpful for me. just a lot that goes into it of course. i'm so glad to hear that it's all worked out for you, and they do well for ya! very good pups you have. c:
7oyHvos.png
OuP0IWM.png911operator.pngfdUVIfW.pngANZRVK7.pngJ8QoPxT.pngBT1N47G.png
VvgJdjI.png q9EEy5M.pngll0CfnD.png UqlBGwo.png5hF3FGk.pngTW8ViqF.png
4kekx4D.pngSZwTK40.png2SxeZ07.png3CzZFT6.pngYUzmw5z.pngJEtmhoV.png
@Cereious I totally get that! I also burnt out hard. I'm no so people-y. I still have a select few clients, but honestly, I'd prefer to work with more dog-savvy owners as opposed to more green owners anyway. Honestly the hardest thing is teaching hard mechanics to not so dog savvy owners.
I hope you can pursue that if you desire to again in the future! What kind of working dogs did you want to train? Service dogs?

Your kiddo is ADORABLE omg !!!
@Cereious I totally get that! I also burnt out hard. I'm no so people-y. I still have a select few clients, but honestly, I'd prefer to work with more dog-savvy owners as opposed to more green owners anyway. Honestly the hardest thing is teaching hard mechanics to not so dog savvy owners.
I hope you can pursue that if you desire to again in the future! What kind of working dogs did you want to train? Service dogs?

Your kiddo is ADORABLE omg !!!
aUKJE16.png
@mommacat For sure! I am an open book. I'm open to any questions, any time. And thank you so much!
@mommacat For sure! I am an open book. I'm open to any questions, any time. And thank you so much!
aUKJE16.png
I have a. service dog he is a lab named Tyler who is very sweet. he's a stinky guy chilling at the edge of my bed as I type this
I have a. service dog he is a lab named Tyler who is very sweet. he's a stinky guy chilling at the edge of my bed as I type this
STRANGEFLESH
>It/It's
>friendly/open to chat! I love pings and messages
>wishlist
>lineage
>About me
tumblr-paypl0-G37c1xpxfk5o4-250.png
I'm training my GSD right now actually! She's still pretty new and I got her at over a year old so I was really nervous that she might have behavioral issues that prevent her from passing the public access test.

She's a very fast learner though, so I'm fairly certain she'll be able to pass the test when the time comes. The only struggle I'm currently dealing with is leash reactivity with other dogs. She's great with people, but gets way too excited and barks at other dogs. I'm trying every possible method to teach her to ignore other dogs, but this is my first time training a service dog, so I'm open to tips, tricks, and suggestions.
I'm training my GSD right now actually! She's still pretty new and I got her at over a year old so I was really nervous that she might have behavioral issues that prevent her from passing the public access test.

She's a very fast learner though, so I'm fairly certain she'll be able to pass the test when the time comes. The only struggle I'm currently dealing with is leash reactivity with other dogs. She's great with people, but gets way too excited and barks at other dogs. I'm trying every possible method to teach her to ignore other dogs, but this is my first time training a service dog, so I'm open to tips, tricks, and suggestions.

Call me Max!
Wishlist
Lore
10ttDG2.png

P2OauAq.png
OxagJgG.png

cVPo4yi.png
72733313.png trLi2py.png
@HappyAccidents That's a pretty common problem with GSDs! If you want, you are more than welcome to DM me on here or I also have discord and telegram. As I stated earlier in the thread, I was a professional trainer full time for awhile, and now I'm very part time! I have trained quite a few reactive GSDs. I'd love to give you some tips, and if you want, I can also either help you find a trainer in your area, or I do virtual lessons at a fair rate :-)

Feel free to DM me!
@HappyAccidents That's a pretty common problem with GSDs! If you want, you are more than welcome to DM me on here or I also have discord and telegram. As I stated earlier in the thread, I was a professional trainer full time for awhile, and now I'm very part time! I have trained quite a few reactive GSDs. I'd love to give you some tips, and if you want, I can also either help you find a trainer in your area, or I do virtual lessons at a fair rate :-)

Feel free to DM me!
aUKJE16.png