Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [WCS] Songs of the Sea!
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
@cosmichurricane glad you enjoyed IGOR even throughout its funkiness- i think (igor reference??) sometimes i get so embroiled in certain albums i forget how "quirky" they can be, for lack of a better term haha; i think (this is a very confusing sentence to type) i would probably rate "I THINK" as my second favorite song or so off the album outside of NEW MAGIC WAND, so an excellent pick for highest rating :salute: your spreadsheet looks so slick btw, love the design :]
@cosmichurricane glad you enjoyed IGOR even throughout its funkiness- i think (igor reference??) sometimes i get so embroiled in certain albums i forget how "quirky" they can be, for lack of a better term haha; i think (this is a very confusing sentence to type) i would probably rate "I THINK" as my second favorite song or so off the album outside of NEW MAGIC WAND, so an excellent pick for highest rating :salute: your spreadsheet looks so slick btw, love the design :]
9FbG81Z.gif
  • she/they/it
  • frt+3
  • eternally sleepy + tired + snug as a bug in a rug, may be late in responding
@moonthegoon WOAH is that an IGOR reference.... crazy

[ty!! graphic design is my passion /j :D]
@moonthegoon WOAH is that an IGOR reference.... crazy

[ty!! graphic design is my passion /j :D]
Accent: Crocodile Friend!! Buy 'Accent:
Crocodile Friend!!'
here!
cVPo4yi.png
o9yS1eq.png
r8v91MH.png
8GgdVkW.png
njCJq66.png
bYt72YT.png
A badge of a sturgeon gardener for Water's Aqua Garden push in 2024. Art by Dovalore A badge of a Sewer Toridae with a tiger lily flower crown on its head. Obtained through a WaterDom grab bag event for LEAP 2024. Art by FirozTaverbi
Love from the other side-
starts off with a gorgeous, cinematic instrumental before switching to the heavier rock sound I know fallout boy better for.
I've missed Patrick's voice, it's been too long since I've listened to this band
really catchy, will definitely be added to my playlists

Heartbreak feels so good-
really like the chorus' vocalisations

Hold me like a grudge-
the relationship featured on this album is getting dysfunctional, the feelings have soured, but (at least the singer's character, who will be called SC from now on) they still need each other for the stability they've come to expect from each other

Fake out-
the range of pitch in this song is really nice
"Love is in the air, I just gotta figure out a window to break out" is a cool line

Heaven, Iowa-
this song makes me imagine a midnight drive to clear your head and crying at the side of the road, abusing the steering wheel just to vent some emotion.
SC is feeling less and less appreciated, but willing to settle for less if he can "save" the relationship

So good right now-
immediately hit with a brighter sounding song than heaven, Iowa
ah, turns out that's because the partner is manipulative and the crumbs of positive attention are like starlight to SC

The pink seashell-
I thought the song title felt a bit out of place, but upon hearing the monologue, it made sense. This is about SC and his mindset, which gives some clarity on why he keeps trying with his relationship: "life is meaningless, so enjoy it while you're here"

I am my own muse-
another cinematic opening, I think I've heard a little of this one before
I like the franticness of how "Oh, got to throw this year away, we got to throw this year away" sounds

Flu game-
I think the partner has truly broken SC's heart at this point, so in an attempt to save face, he tries to seem unbothered, throwing himself into his work as a distraction, but nothing can make him feel the way he did with his partner

Baby annihilation-
slam poetry style lyrics, interesting
lots of great lines in this one

The kintsugi kid (ten years)-
kintsugi is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery by filling the cracks with powdered gold, silver, or platinum. The idea that nothing is permanent, but it can be repaired and made even more beautiful than before, is such a lovely sentiment.
In the context of this song, the kintsugi seems to be damaging substances, like trying to fix a broken cup with glitter glue: seems fun at the moment but terrible long term

What a time to be alive-
sad song with a deceptively happy tune, we meet again
"So it seems the vulture's getting too full to fly" is a great line

So much (for) stardust-
fame doesn't fix everything
ooh, bringing back the "What would trade the pain for? I'm not sure" line from the early album, nice

We didn't start the fire-
didn't expect to see a cover of this song here, but I'm not complaining, I actually understand half the references in this version, lol
@ShampooSuds
hope this is okay and not too boring to read, I've never done anything like this before, so it was more a stream of consciousness than a professional review haha
Love from the other side-
starts off with a gorgeous, cinematic instrumental before switching to the heavier rock sound I know fallout boy better for.
I've missed Patrick's voice, it's been too long since I've listened to this band
really catchy, will definitely be added to my playlists

Heartbreak feels so good-
really like the chorus' vocalisations

Hold me like a grudge-
the relationship featured on this album is getting dysfunctional, the feelings have soured, but (at least the singer's character, who will be called SC from now on) they still need each other for the stability they've come to expect from each other

Fake out-
the range of pitch in this song is really nice
"Love is in the air, I just gotta figure out a window to break out" is a cool line

Heaven, Iowa-
this song makes me imagine a midnight drive to clear your head and crying at the side of the road, abusing the steering wheel just to vent some emotion.
SC is feeling less and less appreciated, but willing to settle for less if he can "save" the relationship

So good right now-
immediately hit with a brighter sounding song than heaven, Iowa
ah, turns out that's because the partner is manipulative and the crumbs of positive attention are like starlight to SC

The pink seashell-
I thought the song title felt a bit out of place, but upon hearing the monologue, it made sense. This is about SC and his mindset, which gives some clarity on why he keeps trying with his relationship: "life is meaningless, so enjoy it while you're here"

I am my own muse-
another cinematic opening, I think I've heard a little of this one before
I like the franticness of how "Oh, got to throw this year away, we got to throw this year away" sounds

Flu game-
I think the partner has truly broken SC's heart at this point, so in an attempt to save face, he tries to seem unbothered, throwing himself into his work as a distraction, but nothing can make him feel the way he did with his partner

Baby annihilation-
slam poetry style lyrics, interesting
lots of great lines in this one

The kintsugi kid (ten years)-
kintsugi is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery by filling the cracks with powdered gold, silver, or platinum. The idea that nothing is permanent, but it can be repaired and made even more beautiful than before, is such a lovely sentiment.
In the context of this song, the kintsugi seems to be damaging substances, like trying to fix a broken cup with glitter glue: seems fun at the moment but terrible long term

What a time to be alive-
sad song with a deceptively happy tune, we meet again
"So it seems the vulture's getting too full to fly" is a great line

So much (for) stardust-
fame doesn't fix everything
ooh, bringing back the "What would trade the pain for? I'm not sure" line from the early album, nice

We didn't start the fire-
didn't expect to see a cover of this song here, but I'm not complaining, I actually understand half the references in this version, lol
@ShampooSuds
hope this is okay and not too boring to read, I've never done anything like this before, so it was more a stream of consciousness than a professional review haha
tn0RSo5.png
9hqcHsy.png
56yqAPu.png
G8AyR6r.png
QUIpVFE.png
YMPbu9R.png
they/them
8+ FR
A large eyed creature bounds at the viewer, rainbow striped cape flowing across its back. Rainbow hearts surround it.
......................................... HW4lpxl.png
7UXlQKU.gif
@bugcrimes sorry it's taken so long! I wanted to have a good chunk of time to give it a proper listen, and give my thoughts song by song!

So it's time to listen to Under the Shade of Green - The Happy Fits!

Firstly, thank you for introducing me to this band! I wanted to pick something I'd never heard of and listen to something completely new to me. This album has a lot of energy with the choppy guitar, and it reminded me of the music I listened to in college.

I gave it a listen this morning while coli grinding, and now I'm listening again and checking out the lyrics at the same time so I can give more thoughts.

1. Around And Around
The choppy guitar right away hooked me in for sure! It's perfect for the energy of not keeping still. It's so bright and lively - what a fantastic opening.

2. Dance Alone
Now we go into something a bit softer, even though it still has a rock guitar riff running in the background, the vocals are much softer and there's some nice plinky string work. It retains a liveliness to dance to but has that touch of longing and melancholy appropriate for a song about trying to find the courage to strike up a conversation.

3. Changes
This a nice song, and I love the introduction of the violin around halfway through! It makes it more expansive. We're all learning how to be, all of the time! I think it's a very nice sentiment.

4. In The Lobby
I do like an anti-establishment/anti-captialist song. It has an upbeat sunny tone that is counter to the running complaint, which I like.

5. Little One
Aw what a sweet song this one is. Like Changes we're going back to the universal experience of being human but this time it's so reassuring. Again the choppy guitar keeps it upbeat where another artist might have made it maudlin.

6. Sweet Things
Ah so bittersweet, but yet so hopeful.

7. Another Try
Ooh yeah it gets a bit grungier here. Love the sentiment of through the chaos sing your melody too

8. Cold Turkey
This one is anthemic, with the stomping percussion and chanting that makes you want to sing along. And who doesn't love a whistle solo?

9. I'll Be Somewhere
Yeah I love these poppy rock beats. Again such a yearning, hopeful song!

10. Long Way Down
Now this is a sombre song, but Maybe gold can hold when the world is through,
But I'd rather spend more time with you

is...yeah. Truth!

11. Place In The World
Despite the impossibility of changing these systems, once again the song has a unifying, hopeful outlook. Maybe we can make a change, or at least enjoy the time we have together.

12. Do Your Worst
Kicking off with the violin, but more grungy and edgy than it was previously! And that riff that brings in the chorus!

Thanks for sharing this album <3
@bugcrimes sorry it's taken so long! I wanted to have a good chunk of time to give it a proper listen, and give my thoughts song by song!

So it's time to listen to Under the Shade of Green - The Happy Fits!

Firstly, thank you for introducing me to this band! I wanted to pick something I'd never heard of and listen to something completely new to me. This album has a lot of energy with the choppy guitar, and it reminded me of the music I listened to in college.

I gave it a listen this morning while coli grinding, and now I'm listening again and checking out the lyrics at the same time so I can give more thoughts.

1. Around And Around
The choppy guitar right away hooked me in for sure! It's perfect for the energy of not keeping still. It's so bright and lively - what a fantastic opening.

2. Dance Alone
Now we go into something a bit softer, even though it still has a rock guitar riff running in the background, the vocals are much softer and there's some nice plinky string work. It retains a liveliness to dance to but has that touch of longing and melancholy appropriate for a song about trying to find the courage to strike up a conversation.

3. Changes
This a nice song, and I love the introduction of the violin around halfway through! It makes it more expansive. We're all learning how to be, all of the time! I think it's a very nice sentiment.

4. In The Lobby
I do like an anti-establishment/anti-captialist song. It has an upbeat sunny tone that is counter to the running complaint, which I like.

5. Little One
Aw what a sweet song this one is. Like Changes we're going back to the universal experience of being human but this time it's so reassuring. Again the choppy guitar keeps it upbeat where another artist might have made it maudlin.

6. Sweet Things
Ah so bittersweet, but yet so hopeful.

7. Another Try
Ooh yeah it gets a bit grungier here. Love the sentiment of through the chaos sing your melody too

8. Cold Turkey
This one is anthemic, with the stomping percussion and chanting that makes you want to sing along. And who doesn't love a whistle solo?

9. I'll Be Somewhere
Yeah I love these poppy rock beats. Again such a yearning, hopeful song!

10. Long Way Down
Now this is a sombre song, but Maybe gold can hold when the world is through,
But I'd rather spend more time with you

is...yeah. Truth!

11. Place In The World
Despite the impossibility of changing these systems, once again the song has a unifying, hopeful outlook. Maybe we can make a change, or at least enjoy the time we have together.

12. Do Your Worst
Kicking off with the violin, but more grungy and edgy than it was previously! And that riff that brings in the chorus!

Thanks for sharing this album <3
104.png Wishlist
361.png Gene Plans
121.pngFR+8
progen-small.pngsignature-badge.jpg kashan-icon-small.pngbadge-Strange-Sisters-small.png
@SilentWanderer no worries at all! :D i'm super glad you enjoyed the album and i was able to introduce you to a new band ^^ it was really fun being able to read your thoughts on the songs!! little one is my personal fave from the album (most days at least lol), but there's so many awesome songs on there and i'm happy you had a good time with them!!
@SilentWanderer no worries at all! :D i'm super glad you enjoyed the album and i was able to introduce you to a new band ^^ it was really fun being able to read your thoughts on the songs!! little one is my personal fave from the album (most days at least lol), but there's so many awesome songs on there and i'm happy you had a good time with them!!
Roach | they/it | FR+3
aroshi%20lyssa.png
@CosmicHurricane
Ahh, sorry this is late! I would like to claim TsunamiVoid’s recommendation of Through Being Cool by Saves the Day!
@CosmicHurricane
Ahh, sorry this is late! I would like to claim TsunamiVoid’s recommendation of Through Being Cool by Saves the Day!
IMG_1557.gifUntitled576_20230412201616.png
@InkedMyths Finally listened to Cure What Ails Ya! I just have to say, the album starting out with Hoist up the Thing is AMAZING that is just such a FUN song and I was actively laughing when I listened to it first haha. It's definitely my favorite off of the album. Some other notable ones are Round the Cape (LOVE it, I added it to the playlist) and Oak & Ash & Thorn, which I actually already had on my playlist, it's one of my favorites too! I love throwing in some just good ol' pirate fun with Moby Duck, and also how there are still emotional songs on the same album as the more silly ones. Ashes was unexpectedly poignant for me, it has such a beautiful message and extended metaphor. I don't know if you've listened to this one by them, but my all-time favorite Shanty is Bones in the Ocean by them, and I'd recommend it very much if you haven't. It hit me so hard listening it to the first time and still does. I think it's kinda similar to Ashes in that way; something about shanties and the haunting but jolly nature of them makes them so bittersweet and almost fatalistic at times in a way that I think is just beautiful. Anyway, my sea shanty vibes have reawakened lol and I loved listening to this! If you have any other favorite albums of theirs I would also love to hear haha I'm always looking to extend my playlist [emoji=undertide laughing size=1]
@InkedMyths Finally listened to Cure What Ails Ya! I just have to say, the album starting out with Hoist up the Thing is AMAZING that is just such a FUN song and I was actively laughing when I listened to it first haha. It's definitely my favorite off of the album.

Some other notable ones are Round the Cape (LOVE it, I added it to the playlist) and Oak & Ash & Thorn, which I actually already had on my playlist, it's one of my favorites too! I love throwing in some just good ol' pirate fun with Moby Duck, and also how there are still emotional songs on the same album as the more silly ones. Ashes was unexpectedly poignant for me, it has such a beautiful message and extended metaphor.

I don't know if you've listened to this one by them, but my all-time favorite Shanty is Bones in the Ocean by them, and I'd recommend it very much if you haven't. It hit me so hard listening it to the first time and still does. I think it's kinda similar to Ashes in that way; something about shanties and the haunting but jolly nature of them makes them so bittersweet and almost fatalistic at times in a way that I think is just beautiful.

Anyway, my sea shanty vibes have reawakened lol and I loved listening to this! If you have any other favorite albums of theirs I would also love to hear haha I'm always looking to extend my playlist
PX2x8Tb.pngimage-9.pngWCSunday.pngFragmented-Tablet.pngKelBIQc.png
OH MY GOSH WAIT I THOUGHT I POSTED MY OPINIONS AGES AGO IM SRY

@ladyartemis AHHHHHHHHHHH FLAPPY HANDS!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOSH ITS SO GOOD!! ID HEARD STILL FEEL AND CREATURE BEFORE BUT I HAD NO CLUE THEY WERE BY THIS ARTIST AND ALL THE OTHERS SONGS BLEW MY MIND??? BREAKFAST IS PROLLY MY FAVORITE THAT I HADNT HEARD BEFORE AND ITS JUST GORGEOUS, INSTANT LOOP JUST!!! ITS RLY GOOD!!!!!

@brit I ACTUALLY CANT CHOOSE A FAVORITE SONG ITS BANGER AFTER BANGER HEEHEHE ITS SO GOODDDDDDDDD!!1 THE DIFFERENT SUBVERSIONS WITHIN INDIVIDUAL SONGS GOT ME EVERY TIME AND MADE ME SUPER EMOTIONAL, ITS SO GOOD
OH MY GOSH WAIT I THOUGHT I POSTED MY OPINIONS AGES AGO IM SRY

@ladyartemis AHHHHHHHHHHH FLAPPY HANDS!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOSH ITS SO GOOD!! ID HEARD STILL FEEL AND CREATURE BEFORE BUT I HAD NO CLUE THEY WERE BY THIS ARTIST AND ALL THE OTHERS SONGS BLEW MY MIND??? BREAKFAST IS PROLLY MY FAVORITE THAT I HADNT HEARD BEFORE AND ITS JUST GORGEOUS, INSTANT LOOP JUST!!! ITS RLY GOOD!!!!!

@brit I ACTUALLY CANT CHOOSE A FAVORITE SONG ITS BANGER AFTER BANGER HEEHEHE ITS SO GOODDDDDDDDD!!1 THE DIFFERENT SUBVERSIONS WITHIN INDIVIDUAL SONGS GOT ME EVERY TIME AND MADE ME SUPER EMOTIONAL, ITS SO GOOD
f282e074cdf53330182445ba3db1235c26fc602a.gifGIF by @Anivia
@CosmicHurricane YES IGOR WE LOVE IGOR! So funny I THINK and ARE WE STILL FRIENDS? Are such good songs I literally keep swapping what my favorites are from the album

@SilentWanderer hi hi! i listened to your album Bronco by Orville Peck :3
(i think i mostly picked this one because I know Brittany Broski LOVES him to death lol)
I don't really listen to country but I decided to give this one a shot!

1. Orville has such a beautiful voice??? ?? ?? like ok go off king
2. I would definitely listen to this album again while I take a walk for my dogs, I just feel like I need to go out and look at the world while I digest the songs
3. Top 3 I really like, Daytona Sand , Bronco , and C'mon Baby Cry

Bronco by itself is such a !!! exciting one because it feels like all his other songs are slow paced

Overall a really awesome album! :3
@CosmicHurricane YES IGOR WE LOVE IGOR! So funny I THINK and ARE WE STILL FRIENDS? Are such good songs I literally keep swapping what my favorites are from the album

@SilentWanderer hi hi! i listened to your album Bronco by Orville Peck :3
(i think i mostly picked this one because I know Brittany Broski LOVES him to death lol)
I don't really listen to country but I decided to give this one a shot!

1. Orville has such a beautiful voice??? ?? ?? like ok go off king
2. I would definitely listen to this album again while I take a walk for my dogs, I just feel like I need to go out and look at the world while I digest the songs
3. Top 3 I really like, Daytona Sand , Bronco , and C'mon Baby Cry

Bronco by itself is such a !!! exciting one because it feels like all his other songs are slow paced

Overall a really awesome album! :3
4IPwDSn.pngsCaCbZg.gif[url][/url]Suntan Participation Badge
@fistfulofdragons (edit; whoops, forgot to say this was for Nell's Dystopian's Eutopia) Spoilers but i really liked it, actually!!! i rarely venture into any music genre that isn't psytrance or noise rock, but this completely won me over ^__^ i think my favourite was either the namesake 'dystopian's eutopia' or 'moon shower' but not one of the five was a miss, to me. i owe you one for submitting this :]

Wanderer - I think the EP's name set me up to think it'd be a much harsher sound, but hitting play to hear this was a pleasant surprise! i like how upbeat the music is compared to how the vocalist is absolutely Going Through It. very longing, very wishing for something more than this from the world. i cannot describe things for the life of me. this is the song i'd play while walking out of my job with no intention to come back

Dystopian's Eutopia - The brief little almost chiptune sounding part at the beginning before the guitar kicks in lives in my heart <3. a lot more triumphant than the first song, but it doesn't lose the wistfulness. LOVE how fast and loud it picks up during the pre-chorus before very smoothly transitioning to the chorus. love love love the chanting of "this cold steel spine is the new divine" at the end, i'm a sucker for repetition i think it's probably my favourite lyric in this whole EP :]

Crack The Code - Gun to my head, if you asked me for a word to describe this song i'd cheat and say "feel-good," and be utterly wrong. i don't think there's anything i've heard that sounds like this band, but the closest comparison i can make is the owl city technique of very enjoyable and catchy music over such sad lyrics. "we don't have much longer," sung over and over, right as the tone changes... i put it on loop and every time i listen to it i'm shocked that the start is so forlorn because i'm swept away by the brighter part

Moon Shower - Huge fan of the energy of this one, you were entirely correct when you described this EP as "rebellious." disillusioned with society. i would have obsessed over this in highschool, this would've been getting my headphones confiscated for listening to it in class. i completely forgot to look for a translation but the section between 01:18 and 01:33 is so much fun and the tiny moment where the instruments are gone and it's just the vocalist,,, i live in this 2 second clip now!!

Hollow - And here's the other side of the coin, the perfect example of the 'dreamy' part! they know how to line up their damm songs i'll say ^__^ the contrast between the noise and the fast pace of the last one makes how soft and solemn this one starts off stand out so much more. i feel like i need to listen to this looking out of the window on a long train ride, or staring up at the ceiling. the quiet shouting at the end makes such a nice conclusion; if the rest of the song is hoping for something more, then the ending is insistent that there /is/ something more, as long as you keep looking!
@fistfulofdragons (edit; whoops, forgot to say this was for Nell's Dystopian's Eutopia) Spoilers but i really liked it, actually!!! i rarely venture into any music genre that isn't psytrance or noise rock, but this completely won me over ^__^ i think my favourite was either the namesake 'dystopian's eutopia' or 'moon shower' but not one of the five was a miss, to me. i owe you one for submitting this :]

Wanderer - I think the EP's name set me up to think it'd be a much harsher sound, but hitting play to hear this was a pleasant surprise! i like how upbeat the music is compared to how the vocalist is absolutely Going Through It. very longing, very wishing for something more than this from the world. i cannot describe things for the life of me. this is the song i'd play while walking out of my job with no intention to come back

Dystopian's Eutopia - The brief little almost chiptune sounding part at the beginning before the guitar kicks in lives in my heart <3. a lot more triumphant than the first song, but it doesn't lose the wistfulness. LOVE how fast and loud it picks up during the pre-chorus before very smoothly transitioning to the chorus. love love love the chanting of "this cold steel spine is the new divine" at the end, i'm a sucker for repetition i think it's probably my favourite lyric in this whole EP :]

Crack The Code - Gun to my head, if you asked me for a word to describe this song i'd cheat and say "feel-good," and be utterly wrong. i don't think there's anything i've heard that sounds like this band, but the closest comparison i can make is the owl city technique of very enjoyable and catchy music over such sad lyrics. "we don't have much longer," sung over and over, right as the tone changes... i put it on loop and every time i listen to it i'm shocked that the start is so forlorn because i'm swept away by the brighter part

Moon Shower - Huge fan of the energy of this one, you were entirely correct when you described this EP as "rebellious." disillusioned with society. i would have obsessed over this in highschool, this would've been getting my headphones confiscated for listening to it in class. i completely forgot to look for a translation but the section between 01:18 and 01:33 is so much fun and the tiny moment where the instruments are gone and it's just the vocalist,,, i live in this 2 second clip now!!

Hollow - And here's the other side of the coin, the perfect example of the 'dreamy' part! they know how to line up their damm songs i'll say ^__^ the contrast between the noise and the fast pace of the last one makes how soft and solemn this one starts off stand out so much more. i feel like i need to listen to this looking out of the window on a long train ride, or staring up at the ceiling. the quiet shouting at the end makes such a nice conclusion; if the rest of the song is hoping for something more, then the ending is insistent that there /is/ something more, as long as you keep looking!
A pixel art badge of a snowy owlynx; a blueish gray cat familiar with darker spots and wings.
Pixel art of an obelisk dragon (Winona) with light eyes, a grayish blue body, and red wings and circuit patterns. She's facing left.A light pink pixel diamond.Pixel art of an obelisk dragon (WX) with fire eyes, a golden body, bronze mane and wings, and black circuit patterns. They're facing right.
Pings ok.
Badges.
Wishlist.
FR server time + 8 hours.
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25