Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why do you think we get less apparel?
1 2 3 4
i think is fine

i found i focus more on the ancients than any new apparel

we still get new apparel very frequently like the fests and arlo and other events

im not sure even if theres a slowdown or not i havent noticed anything...
i think is fine

i found i focus more on the ancients than any new apparel

we still get new apparel very frequently like the fests and arlo and other events

im not sure even if theres a slowdown or not i havent noticed anything...
my colors!
give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
give & get medusa tertiary game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
More apparel means more art that needs to be done before a new Modern breed is released

Likewise, a new Modern breed means more art that needs to be done for new apparel to be released

Maybe one new apparel piece/set doesn’t create as much work as one new Modern breed, but it’s still an ever-expanding pool on both axes
More apparel means more art that needs to be done before a new Modern breed is released

Likewise, a new Modern breed means more art that needs to be done for new apparel to be released

Maybe one new apparel piece/set doesn’t create as much work as one new Modern breed, but it’s still an ever-expanding pool on both axes
undel's carpal tunnel
undel's carpal tunnel
SHIRE
IT/ITS
FR+2
ENG/PT-BR
PINGS OKAY!
aAomFUL.gif
The less apparel, the less work has to be done for the next modern, I think. But more moderns, more work for the apparel artists, kind of a balancing act.
I don't mind though, I like both types of dragons. Apparel's just a bonus when it comes to the Moderns. Although, apparel can make a dragon more... cluttered, when there's so much on one. I tend to like ancients a bit more because of that.
The less apparel, the less work has to be done for the next modern, I think. But more moderns, more work for the apparel artists, kind of a balancing act.
I don't mind though, I like both types of dragons. Apparel's just a bonus when it comes to the Moderns. Although, apparel can make a dragon more... cluttered, when there's so much on one. I tend to like ancients a bit more because of that.
bgGXGPE.png
LGvol4P.png
G8AyR6r.png
AaYNmEX.png
SYiQlxK.png
ZcE4a9h.png

wip sig pls bear with i'm new to this stuff
Going to agree with the majority here, the ancients aren't the reason for less apparel releases, it's whichever modern(s) are in the works.

We know that one in the works is as old as the Obelisk but we don't know what if any have been added to the workflow since then.

The last non-flight apparel release was the augmented set on 3/12/24.
I think it feels like we haven't had as many regular apparel releases lately because we came out of NoN, followed by Love is in the Air. Once we get away from so many holidays, we'll probably get more "regular" apparel releases.

Past apparel releases in this order...
3/12/24 - Augmented set (part 2)
2/27/24 trickmurk
2/14/24 love is in the air
2/10/24 Augmented set (part 1)
1/28/24 Crystaline gala
12/18/23 - 1/1/24 - NoN
12/07/23 Acclaimed Achievements Association
11/27/23 Rockbreakers
10/15/23 Frozen Age Digsite
10/24/23 RoR
10/16/24 - Mushroom set
9/24/23 Starfall
9/19/23 - pirate week
8/27/23 flameforgers
8/9/23 - warrior's way
Going to agree with the majority here, the ancients aren't the reason for less apparel releases, it's whichever modern(s) are in the works.

We know that one in the works is as old as the Obelisk but we don't know what if any have been added to the workflow since then.

The last non-flight apparel release was the augmented set on 3/12/24.
I think it feels like we haven't had as many regular apparel releases lately because we came out of NoN, followed by Love is in the Air. Once we get away from so many holidays, we'll probably get more "regular" apparel releases.

Past apparel releases in this order...
3/12/24 - Augmented set (part 2)
2/27/24 trickmurk
2/14/24 love is in the air
2/10/24 Augmented set (part 1)
1/28/24 Crystaline gala
12/18/23 - 1/1/24 - NoN
12/07/23 Acclaimed Achievements Association
11/27/23 Rockbreakers
10/15/23 Frozen Age Digsite
10/24/23 RoR
10/16/24 - Mushroom set
9/24/23 Starfall
9/19/23 - pirate week
8/27/23 flameforgers
8/9/23 - warrior's way
YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

I think the small team is likely struggling with the ever-increasing amount of art that needs to be done. With every modern release, all pieces of apparel need to be drawn another 2 times. Doesn't sound like much, but we have just over 3,900 pieces of apparel. That's 7,822 drawings per new modern breed. With apparel being the thing that stops moderns from coming out so often, I would not be surprised if they're slowing down on apparel releases so it doesn't start taking 15 years between a new modern.

On a similar note, with all the parallel genes and gene expansions, honestly, within another few years, ancients are going to have a similar problem with there being so much backlog to do per new breed. They'll always be behind on gene expansions, and with every new breed, each one will have to wait longer for its own expansion. I want every breed to have every prim/sec, but that's looking unrealistic with the current number of breeds (though Ima riot if moderns don't get petrified and lode at some point).

I'm personally getting really sick of ancients. I'd much rather we get one ancient a year, and the art team focus on porting more parallel genes to them, and ensuring there are fewer errors.

It'd be nice if the art team could focus more on giving us things that don't increase the gene or apparel backlog like scenes, vistas, and familiars, but I understand that would likely make a majority of the playerbase unhappy. Neopets is still going though, and they haven't gotten a new pet in...honestly, I have no idea if they've ever gotten a new one. They look like all the same ones they had back when I was playing 20 years ago. I have no idea what they're doing on that site anymore, though.

In a perfect world, they could continue hiring new artists to counter the increasing number of genes and apparel items.
I think the small team is likely struggling with the ever-increasing amount of art that needs to be done. With every modern release, all pieces of apparel need to be drawn another 2 times. Doesn't sound like much, but we have just over 3,900 pieces of apparel. That's 7,822 drawings per new modern breed. With apparel being the thing that stops moderns from coming out so often, I would not be surprised if they're slowing down on apparel releases so it doesn't start taking 15 years between a new modern.

On a similar note, with all the parallel genes and gene expansions, honestly, within another few years, ancients are going to have a similar problem with there being so much backlog to do per new breed. They'll always be behind on gene expansions, and with every new breed, each one will have to wait longer for its own expansion. I want every breed to have every prim/sec, but that's looking unrealistic with the current number of breeds (though Ima riot if moderns don't get petrified and lode at some point).

I'm personally getting really sick of ancients. I'd much rather we get one ancient a year, and the art team focus on porting more parallel genes to them, and ensuring there are fewer errors.

It'd be nice if the art team could focus more on giving us things that don't increase the gene or apparel backlog like scenes, vistas, and familiars, but I understand that would likely make a majority of the playerbase unhappy. Neopets is still going though, and they haven't gotten a new pet in...honestly, I have no idea if they've ever gotten a new one. They look like all the same ones they had back when I was playing 20 years ago. I have no idea what they're doing on that site anymore, though.

In a perfect world, they could continue hiring new artists to counter the increasing number of genes and apparel items.
I mean, they've got a modern in the works that also needs everything from over 10 years of apparel already. That takes time, and to make sure they're consistent will take longer. Plus you've gotta consider even the stuff the average players won't have, and all the gene releases for them.

Plus people like the Ancients. It's not like we're getting 0 apparel either, just taking longer because they have to fix gene errors. I hope we get another round of Ancients at some point!
I mean, they've got a modern in the works that also needs everything from over 10 years of apparel already. That takes time, and to make sure they're consistent will take longer. Plus you've gotta consider even the stuff the average players won't have, and all the gene releases for them.

Plus people like the Ancients. It's not like we're getting 0 apparel either, just taking longer because they have to fix gene errors. I hope we get another round of Ancients at some point!
wUPafb6.png
RGeeKht.pngdeathseeker_caw_inv_zpsxpt2usp7.gif
Honestly, I haven't even noticed a 'slow down' in apparel release. Felt about the same to me.

While there's still apparel I'd like to see implemented, there's so much apparel already! I've seen many a newbie complain/comment on just how overwhelming it can be. I think slowing down, whatever the reason is, is just a sound idea all around.

I'm not one of those people who has a problem with the Ancient releases, and in fact I'm very happy with two a year - staff always wanted to release two breeds a year, and I think it works. I found Dusties didn't have nearly as many gene bugs as past breed releases, so hopefully that's the start of a pattern and not a fluke. But even if it is a fluke, I just... don't care? Bugs can be fixed later. Apparel can release with bugs too, I remember there were Noc and Bog errors that hung around for YEARS.

I generally like Ancients better than Moderns exactly because I'm just not as dedicated to apparel (I only care about apparel on my OC fandragons), so for me the updates have been totally fine. If I was going to want them to focus on anything more, it would be scenes, not apparel/moderns lol
Honestly, I haven't even noticed a 'slow down' in apparel release. Felt about the same to me.

While there's still apparel I'd like to see implemented, there's so much apparel already! I've seen many a newbie complain/comment on just how overwhelming it can be. I think slowing down, whatever the reason is, is just a sound idea all around.

I'm not one of those people who has a problem with the Ancient releases, and in fact I'm very happy with two a year - staff always wanted to release two breeds a year, and I think it works. I found Dusties didn't have nearly as many gene bugs as past breed releases, so hopefully that's the start of a pattern and not a fluke. But even if it is a fluke, I just... don't care? Bugs can be fixed later. Apparel can release with bugs too, I remember there were Noc and Bog errors that hung around for YEARS.

I generally like Ancients better than Moderns exactly because I'm just not as dedicated to apparel (I only care about apparel on my OC fandragons), so for me the updates have been totally fine. If I was going to want them to focus on anything more, it would be scenes, not apparel/moderns lol
mlHpBMC.png
9hqcHsy.png
ZxAR91S.png
HkZAJYc.png
watervs1.pngHbzShnh.pngmbWgKmD.pngwatershieldr.png
I wouldn't be surprised if they've slowed down for the apparel art team. 10+ years of apparel to draw for a new modern, with 2 different poses is a lot.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the ancients.

And just remember, there's different teams for different things! A team working on the modern(s), ancients, genes, apparel, etc.
I wouldn't be surprised if they've slowed down for the apparel art team. 10+ years of apparel to draw for a new modern, with 2 different poses is a lot.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the ancients.

And just remember, there's different teams for different things! A team working on the modern(s), ancients, genes, apparel, etc.
ooo IJkKw0f.pngo K H U Z D U L
- - - - - - - - - - -
SHE/HER +0
25 LIBRA
oo Avatar dragon
Lore
About me
Pings ok!
• Did you hatch an
Abyss/Copper/X gen1,
but don't want them?
Don't exalt them! Hit me up ;)
I've also noticed the lack of apparel, but like... I get it, it makes the next Modern easier to make, and it makes it cooler when we do get new stuff.

...but... also, I'm legitimately kinda concerned about the amount of unfinished projects the staff have gotten themselves into:
  • Adventure Mode
  • Dragonmeet
  • the courier sidescroller game
  • the Lair backgrounds
  • the rest of the Coli scenes
  • fixing the various gene/apparel bugs
  • the Beastclans revamp
  • the Auraboa article
  • the Dusthide story
  • the pinglist revamp
  • the accessibility update
  • any other bits of the site refactor that are left
  • Dark Mode
  • Coli PvP
  • Coli CAPTCHA fixes
  • whatever is keeping Artifracture in Beta

And they're still trying to keep up with regular releases, too-
  • new genes/Ancient gene expansions
  • new Ancients (and Modern Breed 16)
  • the monthly festivals
  • NotN
  • WW
  • the little events (Pirate Day, Love is in the Air, etc.)
  • the microholidays (Springswarm/Meat Heat/Drakeharvest/Frigidfin)
  • seasonal releases (things in Sage's)
  • new NPCs
  • April Fool's
  • Anniversary
  • new apparel
  • new Vistas
  • new Scenes
  • new eye types
  • new Coli venues
  • new Achievements
  • new Familiars
  • QoL fixes
  • Dev streams (at least this one always overlaps with at least one other?)
  • Tidal Trouble level approvals
That's A LOT of things to split attention between, and that's just stuff they've said they're working on/planning to some level! It's hard to tell from the outside how much work any one thing will take to get done, but when I can make a list of possible projects that's half the size of my main FR bookmarks folder... it doesn't matter if they're all easy when there's that dang many of 'em, and I've fought with my spreadsheet projects enough to know that things can look easy and absolutely not be.
No wonder it took two years to get new eye types (the only thing EVERY breed shares besides colors), no wonder releases in general are slowing down, no wonder we don't get Words on the Wind anymore... if I was in the dev's shoes, it'd feel like Finals Week every day.

Hopefully I'm overthinking things; it is always slower this time of year, between NotN and the site Anniversary, and I've personally been called out on reading too much into that before. Also, things like Undel getting carpal tunnel, people in general getting sick, and well, *gestures at 2020/2021* can't be planned for. I don't necessarily think anybody did anything wrong. That said...

TL;DR: I'm worried the slower apparel releases are symptomatic of a bigger problem, and I hope the devs are doing ok, that's all.
I've also noticed the lack of apparel, but like... I get it, it makes the next Modern easier to make, and it makes it cooler when we do get new stuff.

...but... also, I'm legitimately kinda concerned about the amount of unfinished projects the staff have gotten themselves into:
  • Adventure Mode
  • Dragonmeet
  • the courier sidescroller game
  • the Lair backgrounds
  • the rest of the Coli scenes
  • fixing the various gene/apparel bugs
  • the Beastclans revamp
  • the Auraboa article
  • the Dusthide story
  • the pinglist revamp
  • the accessibility update
  • any other bits of the site refactor that are left
  • Dark Mode
  • Coli PvP
  • Coli CAPTCHA fixes
  • whatever is keeping Artifracture in Beta

And they're still trying to keep up with regular releases, too-
  • new genes/Ancient gene expansions
  • new Ancients (and Modern Breed 16)
  • the monthly festivals
  • NotN
  • WW
  • the little events (Pirate Day, Love is in the Air, etc.)
  • the microholidays (Springswarm/Meat Heat/Drakeharvest/Frigidfin)
  • seasonal releases (things in Sage's)
  • new NPCs
  • April Fool's
  • Anniversary
  • new apparel
  • new Vistas
  • new Scenes
  • new eye types
  • new Coli venues
  • new Achievements
  • new Familiars
  • QoL fixes
  • Dev streams (at least this one always overlaps with at least one other?)
  • Tidal Trouble level approvals
That's A LOT of things to split attention between, and that's just stuff they've said they're working on/planning to some level! It's hard to tell from the outside how much work any one thing will take to get done, but when I can make a list of possible projects that's half the size of my main FR bookmarks folder... it doesn't matter if they're all easy when there's that dang many of 'em, and I've fought with my spreadsheet projects enough to know that things can look easy and absolutely not be.
No wonder it took two years to get new eye types (the only thing EVERY breed shares besides colors), no wonder releases in general are slowing down, no wonder we don't get Words on the Wind anymore... if I was in the dev's shoes, it'd feel like Finals Week every day.

Hopefully I'm overthinking things; it is always slower this time of year, between NotN and the site Anniversary, and I've personally been called out on reading too much into that before. Also, things like Undel getting carpal tunnel, people in general getting sick, and well, *gestures at 2020/2021* can't be planned for. I don't necessarily think anybody did anything wrong. That said...

TL;DR: I'm worried the slower apparel releases are symptomatic of a bigger problem, and I hope the devs are doing ok, that's all.
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.