Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | ...Dissapointed w/ the Dusthides
1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 32 33
I've come to the realization over the years that I have particular tastes when it comes to what I think a "dragon" looks like, and what types of features I don't want my dragons to have: mainly anything snake or bug related.

I think the Dusthide design is well done, but something about the tail reminds me of a bug for some reason, like a giant centipede, which is suited for an Earth dragon. Or maybe the spikey part reminds me of the Graboids from Tremors, lol.

I do like the poses though, especially the hatchling. It looks so darn happy that it's impossible not to love

But basically, my opinions on this one just comes down to my personal tastes.
I've come to the realization over the years that I have particular tastes when it comes to what I think a "dragon" looks like, and what types of features I don't want my dragons to have: mainly anything snake or bug related.

I think the Dusthide design is well done, but something about the tail reminds me of a bug for some reason, like a giant centipede, which is suited for an Earth dragon. Or maybe the spikey part reminds me of the Graboids from Tremors, lol.

I do like the poses though, especially the hatchling. It looks so darn happy that it's impossible not to love

But basically, my opinions on this one just comes down to my personal tastes.
Echoing the sentiment that I hope the staff paces future Ancient releases a little further apart. Not every breed is going to be for everyone, and the Dusthides aren't to my taste, but that's okay. I feel that in concept they are sufficiently different from Earth's other breeds, but I'm still disappointed that their actual design follows the Modern template without otherwise being unique (e.g. Veilspuns' more insectile wings).
Echoing the sentiment that I hope the staff paces future Ancient releases a little further apart. Not every breed is going to be for everyone, and the Dusthides aren't to my taste, but that's okay. I feel that in concept they are sufficiently different from Earth's other breeds, but I'm still disappointed that their actual design follows the Modern template without otherwise being unique (e.g. Veilspuns' more insectile wings).
60Avnmu.png
QgilwX7.png Looking for colors or near miss:
—Mantis/Peacock/Peridot
—Ginger/Auburn/Sanguine
—Cerulean/Teal/Ice
—Periwinkle/Plum/Fuschia
The complaint about the wings not fitting is something I cannot understand. Dusthide wings are quite robust, they are very clearly connected to the armor plating of the back. I imagine that when a dusthide rolls into a ball it is covering most of its body inside of its wings, which creates a seal to keep dirt and debris out, while their tail (the most armored part of their body) acts as a tread. In addition, their extra large wing claws suggest that their wings may play a role in digging and the 'paw pads' on the tips of their wing fingers also supports this.

I was team wingless too but the way the artists included the wings in the design of this dragon is pretty much flawless.
The complaint about the wings not fitting is something I cannot understand. Dusthide wings are quite robust, they are very clearly connected to the armor plating of the back. I imagine that when a dusthide rolls into a ball it is covering most of its body inside of its wings, which creates a seal to keep dirt and debris out, while their tail (the most armored part of their body) acts as a tread. In addition, their extra large wing claws suggest that their wings may play a role in digging and the 'paw pads' on the tips of their wing fingers also supports this.

I was team wingless too but the way the artists included the wings in the design of this dragon is pretty much flawless.
dlJsEIj.png
Now that I've slept on it, I have a much clearer idea of what it is that bothers me about dusthides. This could have been a modern. If we can put rings on snappers and literally any clothing item on female imperials, this could have been a modern dragon. Had this been a modern dragon, there would very likely not be so many complaints about the 'incomplete' feeling they have without linebreaking terts. Apparel would fill the blankness very well, and I imagine that many players, myself included, would be pretty happy about having a cute gecko-shaped dragon to dress and to gene with the full array of modern genes. The problem is that the dragon is unable to be perceived outside of the context of its release as another ancient that doesn't stray from the guidelines that ancients were created to be able to break. This was the perfect opportunity to have a wingless dragon. What better chance is there than a dragon with a distinct shell on top of the base body? But I digress, it has been said several times by this point. I don't hate dusthides. My kneejerk reaction at the release was to feel that I did, but really I am just disappointed. I will likely have a few of these in my lair, and I think they do fill a niche on the site that needed filling, but that niche was one that needed a modern to fill it. edit: I've realized something else that bothers me about dusthides, and this can extend to most of the ancients tbh. The smoothness that bothers me isn't necessarily because of the silhouette, I can respect the different approach to shape that is being taken here, and while it isn't what I expected, I can get behind it. What bothers me is that the texture of the skin/scales/plates/wings is all just so flat. Compare the wing texture alone for 3 of the older breeds on site that have leathery wings like this, and then look at the texturing for the dusthide. (pardon the random colors chosen, going from my lair) [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/90239159][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/902392/90239159_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/68571873][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/685719/68571873_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/90239665][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/902397/90239665_350.png[/img][/url] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=108&bodygene=0&breed=25&element=7&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=88&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=c5db91d79d7d6198bc644f7a32ca4dbe8f641252&dummyext=prev.png[/img] The smoothness isn't a shape issue, it is a texture one. The wing is so smooth as to be flat, and in general I feel like the short-head ancients fall into the same category of being largely textureless to the point of looking plastic. I love the older dragons that still look complete even when triple basic, but this recent trend of very flat dragons is a sad one to see
Now that I've slept on it, I have a much clearer idea of what it is that bothers me about dusthides.

This could have been a modern. If we can put rings on snappers and literally any clothing item on female imperials, this could have been a modern dragon. Had this been a modern dragon, there would very likely not be so many complaints about the 'incomplete' feeling they have without linebreaking terts. Apparel would fill the blankness very well, and I imagine that many players, myself included, would be pretty happy about having a cute gecko-shaped dragon to dress and to gene with the full array of modern genes.

The problem is that the dragon is unable to be perceived outside of the context of its release as another ancient that doesn't stray from the guidelines that ancients were created to be able to break. This was the perfect opportunity to have a wingless dragon. What better chance is there than a dragon with a distinct shell on top of the base body? But I digress, it has been said several times by this point.

I don't hate dusthides. My kneejerk reaction at the release was to feel that I did, but really I am just disappointed. I will likely have a few of these in my lair, and I think they do fill a niche on the site that needed filling, but that niche was one that needed a modern to fill it.

edit:

I've realized something else that bothers me about dusthides, and this can extend to most of the ancients tbh. The smoothness that bothers me isn't necessarily because of the silhouette, I can respect the different approach to shape that is being taken here, and while it isn't what I expected, I can get behind it. What bothers me is that the texture of the skin/scales/plates/wings is all just so flat.

Compare the wing texture alone for 3 of the older breeds on site that have leathery wings like this, and then look at the texturing for the dusthide. (pardon the random colors chosen, going from my lair)
90239159_350.png
68571873_350.png
90239665_350.png
dragon?age=1&body=108&bodygene=0&breed=25&element=7&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=88&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=c5db91d79d7d6198bc644f7a32ca4dbe8f641252&dummyext=prev.png

The smoothness isn't a shape issue, it is a texture one. The wing is so smooth as to be flat, and in general I feel like the short-head ancients fall into the same category of being largely textureless to the point of looking plastic.

I love the older dragons that still look complete even when triple basic, but this recent trend of very flat dragons is a sad one to see
OvgrUjj.png
Personnally I really like the bald head as they allow for very unique silouhette when paired with the gorgeous line breaking terts we've received with them. However I would have prefered if they had more legs or no wings...
Personnally I really like the bald head as they allow for very unique silouhette when paired with the gorgeous line breaking terts we've received with them. However I would have prefered if they had more legs or no wings...
[quote name="furbyworm" date="2024-04-18 08:45:18" ] The smoothness isn't a shape issue, it is a texture one. The wing is so smooth as to be flat, and in general I feel like the short-head ancients fall into the same category of being largely textureless to the point of looking plastic. [/quote] If dustys had wings like modern dragons the criticism of their wings being useless would be legitimate. Their wings are not designed for flying, they're designed for digging and protecting the body while it's rolled up inside of the tail. Look at the length and shape of the claws, the paw pads on the ends. They're meant to be big, meaty wings that can withstand digging in the soil and rough terrain. Their membranes are more like big mittens.
furbyworm wrote on 2024-04-18 08:45:18:
The smoothness isn't a shape issue, it is a texture one. The wing is so smooth as to be flat, and in general I feel like the short-head ancients fall into the same category of being largely textureless to the point of looking plastic.

If dustys had wings like modern dragons the criticism of their wings being useless would be legitimate. Their wings are not designed for flying, they're designed for digging and protecting the body while it's rolled up inside of the tail. Look at the length and shape of the claws, the paw pads on the ends. They're meant to be big, meaty wings that can withstand digging in the soil and rough terrain. Their membranes are more like big mittens.
dlJsEIj.png
They just have such a flat texture and shape to them. Could have been a modern and may have even benefited from that, in my eyes. It just looks rushed and unfinished, not planned out enough. I like the concept- weird little mole-seal things- but not the execution. They just look like they're missing something important.

While the linebreaking genes make up for that, it still... doesn't feel right. A linebreaking tert shouldn't be used to make up for the lack of design the dragon has.
They just have such a flat texture and shape to them. Could have been a modern and may have even benefited from that, in my eyes. It just looks rushed and unfinished, not planned out enough. I like the concept- weird little mole-seal things- but not the execution. They just look like they're missing something important.

While the linebreaking genes make up for that, it still... doesn't feel right. A linebreaking tert shouldn't be used to make up for the lack of design the dragon has.
spacewhale0.gifqB0EMi0.png
I like them, but they don't do anything interesting enough in terms of design for them to be an ancient dragon, they really look like they could be a modern breed
I like them, but they don't do anything interesting enough in terms of design for them to be an ancient dragon, they really look like they could be a modern breed
Social Links: Bluesky | Tumblr | Cohost | Inkblot | Ko-fi
Just because Ancients CAN break the mold does not mean they all NEED to.

The last Ancient we had that could arguably, truly, apply for Modern status in terms of design is Gaolers, and even then... their massive horns and thick manes would cause issues. And if we want to get into the lore side of it, it's heavily implied/confirmed that Tundras evolved from Gaolers/Gaoler ancestors, therefore they needed to come from something with a similar body plan.

Banescales (wyvern), Aberrations (two-heads), Undertides (no limbs), and Auraboas (no limbs, multi-winged) are self-explanatory as to why they're Ancients.

Veilspun have super long manes, and bug-like wings, that would not work with apparel. Furthermore, I recall staff upon release saying Veils were more Modern-esque because they're a gem breed - the intention was no one would feel left out of enjoying a cool, unique Ancient behind a paywall.

Aethers have unique wings and six legs. Doesn't matter the second set are hard to see, they still exist and therefore break the mold and cannot wear apparel.

Sandsurges DON'T HAVE WINGS. I have to all caps this because I just don't understand why people say they're Modern in design??? Those are sails, not wings, they could NOT wear apparel.

Dusthides don't have fingered hands, don't have horns, and have a very dramatic tail design. Some of these aren't deal-breakers - Snappers are honestly kind of similar - but I think the lack of any horns is an issue. Modern breeds that don't have horns at least have something else going on - frills, feathers, or ears - to accommodate the apparel that would sit there. Where would the earrings go on Dusthides???

Furthermore, when it comes to Ancients that are in anyway really Modern-esque, it's been years. Sandsurges and Aethers break the mold plenty to, imo, be absolutely not applicable for Modern-status design-wise. The last one, imo, was Gaolers. The very first. But even if we argue the last one was Veilspun... that's still several years ago. We've had plenty of mold-breaking designs since then, I think we can afford one Modern-esque Ancient now and then.

And beyond that... Not everyone wants Ancients to constantly break the mold? I like when they do, sure! I love Auraboas and Sandsurges, and Aberrations and Banescales! But I also like the "classic" layout, and I feel Dusthides perfectly touch that while also being super fun and unique!

I'm not talking about things like art direction or whatever here. I'm talking about the whole picture of the dragon, not just face shapes or body motions. Just aspects like limb count, features like horns and wings and manes, and so on.

At the end of the day, if they try being 100% unique on every Ancient release, they're going to run out of designs. FR also has an art style, and has been learning how to utilize the 350p X 350p box space since then. There's a reason the more "unique" body shapes like Snappers and Bogs aren't super popular, and can look clunky. A limitation of the site, unfortunately.
Just because Ancients CAN break the mold does not mean they all NEED to.

The last Ancient we had that could arguably, truly, apply for Modern status in terms of design is Gaolers, and even then... their massive horns and thick manes would cause issues. And if we want to get into the lore side of it, it's heavily implied/confirmed that Tundras evolved from Gaolers/Gaoler ancestors, therefore they needed to come from something with a similar body plan.

Banescales (wyvern), Aberrations (two-heads), Undertides (no limbs), and Auraboas (no limbs, multi-winged) are self-explanatory as to why they're Ancients.

Veilspun have super long manes, and bug-like wings, that would not work with apparel. Furthermore, I recall staff upon release saying Veils were more Modern-esque because they're a gem breed - the intention was no one would feel left out of enjoying a cool, unique Ancient behind a paywall.

Aethers have unique wings and six legs. Doesn't matter the second set are hard to see, they still exist and therefore break the mold and cannot wear apparel.

Sandsurges DON'T HAVE WINGS. I have to all caps this because I just don't understand why people say they're Modern in design??? Those are sails, not wings, they could NOT wear apparel.

Dusthides don't have fingered hands, don't have horns, and have a very dramatic tail design. Some of these aren't deal-breakers - Snappers are honestly kind of similar - but I think the lack of any horns is an issue. Modern breeds that don't have horns at least have something else going on - frills, feathers, or ears - to accommodate the apparel that would sit there. Where would the earrings go on Dusthides???

Furthermore, when it comes to Ancients that are in anyway really Modern-esque, it's been years. Sandsurges and Aethers break the mold plenty to, imo, be absolutely not applicable for Modern-status design-wise. The last one, imo, was Gaolers. The very first. But even if we argue the last one was Veilspun... that's still several years ago. We've had plenty of mold-breaking designs since then, I think we can afford one Modern-esque Ancient now and then.

And beyond that... Not everyone wants Ancients to constantly break the mold? I like when they do, sure! I love Auraboas and Sandsurges, and Aberrations and Banescales! But I also like the "classic" layout, and I feel Dusthides perfectly touch that while also being super fun and unique!

I'm not talking about things like art direction or whatever here. I'm talking about the whole picture of the dragon, not just face shapes or body motions. Just aspects like limb count, features like horns and wings and manes, and so on.

At the end of the day, if they try being 100% unique on every Ancient release, they're going to run out of designs. FR also has an art style, and has been learning how to utilize the 350p X 350p box space since then. There's a reason the more "unique" body shapes like Snappers and Bogs aren't super popular, and can look clunky. A limitation of the site, unfortunately.
mlHpBMC.png
9hqcHsy.png
ZxAR91S.png
HkZAJYc.png
watervs1.pngHbzShnh.pngmbWgKmD.pngwatershieldr.png
Very interesting to see the whole gambit of opinions on these guys. I don't see myself having a ton of them, but maybe with some more linebreaking terts, I'll vibe with them more (desperate for scuttle in particular). I do really enjoy the Pachy tert, I just wish the terts worked more to adjust or change their silhouettes.

They're certainly not terrible, but a little milktoast for me personally.
Very interesting to see the whole gambit of opinions on these guys. I don't see myself having a ton of them, but maybe with some more linebreaking terts, I'll vibe with them more (desperate for scuttle in particular). I do really enjoy the Pachy tert, I just wish the terts worked more to adjust or change their silhouettes.

They're certainly not terrible, but a little milktoast for me personally.
6KQB58c.png
p3Lr8aR.pngUwlzUwS.pngFbBE7dN.png73vKFNE.png
oaolHwW.png
1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 32 33