Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | ...Dissapointed w/ the Dusthides
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
I don't mind that they don't aesthetically fit my cup of tea, but I gotta agree with the critiques that, anatomically, they could have been a modern breed. They have four legs, wings, one head, one tail...

I've got two flights I'm really partial to: Lightning, the flight I was in for years and the one my lore is based on; and Earth, the one I'm vacationing in and realizing I love the community of too. Now they've BOTH had ancients come out with bodies that don't break any of the rules moderns have to adhere to. Both Sandsurges and Dusthides feel like a real missed opportunity wrt what ancients were promised to be.
I don't mind that they don't aesthetically fit my cup of tea, but I gotta agree with the critiques that, anatomically, they could have been a modern breed. They have four legs, wings, one head, one tail...

I've got two flights I'm really partial to: Lightning, the flight I was in for years and the one my lore is based on; and Earth, the one I'm vacationing in and realizing I love the community of too. Now they've BOTH had ancients come out with bodies that don't break any of the rules moderns have to adhere to. Both Sandsurges and Dusthides feel like a real missed opportunity wrt what ancients were promised to be.
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
.np7f4Fm.png current icon:
NUuorfS.png .
I've got nothing to add that others haven't reiterated, but it's telling that I decided to breed change one of my free gen1s. lol. The baldness is definitely something I really adore, but the body plan of these guys is just 'too modern'. I can fully imagine apparel sets fitting nicely on these guys.
I've got nothing to add that others haven't reiterated, but it's telling that I decided to breed change one of my free gen1s. lol. The baldness is definitely something I really adore, but the body plan of these guys is just 'too modern'. I can fully imagine apparel sets fitting nicely on these guys.
unauthorized%20thing.gif
he/they. knower of things. maker of shapes.
art shop
wishlist
theme
ein_shop_ic_2.png
TBH I think they're pretty cool, especially with the broad segmented tails. Plus the bald heads are kinda cute. I wish the pace at which ancients were released was slower, though.
TBH I think they're pretty cool, especially with the broad segmented tails. Plus the bald heads are kinda cute. I wish the pace at which ancients were released was slower, though.
tn0RSo5.pngpyAp3dI.png
MUYNhfy.pngbYt72YT.png
mtHAEL4.pngBS4vqBB.png

Please read the bios/broadcast messages of my dragons before referring to them! Many of them have genders other than what they were assigned by the game :)
Yeah they're not my favorite. I like a lot of their genes, but now I'm hoping they get ported to breeds I like. I wanted something that was a mix of a roly-poly and armadillos. It could have had many stubby lil legs! And I wish they didn't have wings. Secondary genes could have been used for their shell or something.

I feel like Aberrations were really the only breed that took advantage of having no design restrictions, with Auraboas, Undertides, and Aethers to a lesser extent.
Yeah they're not my favorite. I like a lot of their genes, but now I'm hoping they get ported to breeds I like. I wanted something that was a mix of a roly-poly and armadillos. It could have had many stubby lil legs! And I wish they didn't have wings. Secondary genes could have been used for their shell or something.

I feel like Aberrations were really the only breed that took advantage of having no design restrictions, with Auraboas, Undertides, and Aethers to a lesser extent.
gfCdYdH.gif Ninth | She/Her
Shadow and Bone Hatchery
Skins and Accents
I love the baldness it’s cute. I do think the wings could’ve been removed and the secondary could’ve gone to the tail, or a shell. The wings don’t look bad, but they're immersion breaking for a species supposedly living underground, too membranous and not shovel-like enough. Earthshaker himself doesn’t even have wings but is still visibly a dragon. I do want a wingless breed but maybe that’ll happen for wind ancient.

I think dusthides are a fine breed overall, but the most common complaint is “ancient needs to break the standard body type” but idk why that has to be the case for every ancient? Gaolers also have 4 legs and 2 wings; veilspun is just a regular dragon with long hair. I think mostly sticking to the same body type isn’t due to a lack of creativity, but because they're going for mass appeal. If they kept releasing bizarre Eldritch chimera breeds after aberration I bet even more people would be complaining…
I love the baldness it’s cute. I do think the wings could’ve been removed and the secondary could’ve gone to the tail, or a shell. The wings don’t look bad, but they're immersion breaking for a species supposedly living underground, too membranous and not shovel-like enough. Earthshaker himself doesn’t even have wings but is still visibly a dragon. I do want a wingless breed but maybe that’ll happen for wind ancient.

I think dusthides are a fine breed overall, but the most common complaint is “ancient needs to break the standard body type” but idk why that has to be the case for every ancient? Gaolers also have 4 legs and 2 wings; veilspun is just a regular dragon with long hair. I think mostly sticking to the same body type isn’t due to a lack of creativity, but because they're going for mass appeal. If they kept releasing bizarre Eldritch chimera breeds after aberration I bet even more people would be complaining…
Webp-net-resizeimage-2.png
people here are playing too much as the devil's advocate im going to be honest now: this is an unwanted ancient and staff should cooked them up some more. they are skinny, 4 normal legs 2 normal wings, safe cute round face (boring!) with zero appeal without without fancy terts (again, uncooked) i wish staff could slow down a bit with the acients and focus on the modern more, like its ok to survive on new vistas/apparel/fests updates for a while we just want a unique looking breed! but that's just a little gaolers opinion [emoji=gaoler tongue size=1]
people here are playing too much as the devil's advocate im going to be honest now: this is an unwanted ancient and staff should cooked them up some more.

they are skinny, 4 normal legs 2 normal wings, safe cute round face (boring!) with zero appeal without without fancy terts (again, uncooked)

i wish staff could slow down a bit with the acients and focus on the modern more, like its ok to survive on new vistas/apparel/fests updates for a while we just want a unique looking breed!

but that's just a little gaolers opinion
248_Sem_Titulo_20220704012543.png
Honestly I'm also extremely tired of most breed-specific tertiaries being so unrelated, tacked-on-looking and unrelated to the species they start with when the gene's first introduced.

Specific example for the dusthides? Antlers. Pushing aside discussions of practicality, the aesthetic does. not. work. with how dusthides look. It ends up looking like two seperate images in two seperate styles, of two separate creatures cropped and superimposed onto each other.
there are plenty more (batty, medusa, shark,): and while out-there genes are fun overall (i'm a sucker for shark, i admit), I feel exhausted looking at new ancient-related tertiaries to as a way to find out more about the new species only to find genes unrelated to anything, with so few terts that actually fit.

dushides should get scuttle though ;u;
Honestly I'm also extremely tired of most breed-specific tertiaries being so unrelated, tacked-on-looking and unrelated to the species they start with when the gene's first introduced.

Specific example for the dusthides? Antlers. Pushing aside discussions of practicality, the aesthetic does. not. work. with how dusthides look. It ends up looking like two seperate images in two seperate styles, of two separate creatures cropped and superimposed onto each other.
there are plenty more (batty, medusa, shark,): and while out-there genes are fun overall (i'm a sucker for shark, i admit), I feel exhausted looking at new ancient-related tertiaries to as a way to find out more about the new species only to find genes unrelated to anything, with so few terts that actually fit.

i wish they had good snoots plus a bit more of an interesting head design for sure -- i feel like i'm only interested in them personally if they have spores or antlers or pachy or something of that nature and i haven't found any i'm in love with yet, though a few of my g1s i had already would look cute as dustys so i am considering some breed changes.

i don't hate them, but i was hoping for something a bit more pangolin-esque, i guess?
i wish they had good snoots plus a bit more of an interesting head design for sure -- i feel like i'm only interested in them personally if they have spores or antlers or pachy or something of that nature and i haven't found any i'm in love with yet, though a few of my g1s i had already would look cute as dustys so i am considering some breed changes.

i don't hate them, but i was hoping for something a bit more pangolin-esque, i guess?

Z1RkWWM.png

H0t7Ypl.png
TW2mke5.png
n4H37dx.png
mjtJ868.png
[quote name="Hispida" date="2024-04-23 14:10:31" ] Honestly I'm also extremely tired of most breed-specific tertiaries being so unrelated, tacked-on-looking and unrelated to the species they start with when the gene's first introduced. Specific example for the dusthides? Antlers. Pushing aside discussions of practicality, the aesthetic does. not. work. with how dusthides look. It ends up looking like two seperate images in two seperate styles, of two separate creatures cropped and superimposed onto each other. there are plenty more (batty, medusa, shark,): and while out-there genes are fun overall (i'm a sucker for shark, i admit), I feel exhausted looking at new ancient-related tertiaries to as a way to find out more about the new species only to find genes unrelated to anything, with so few terts that actually fit. dushides should get scuttle though ;u; [/quote] Yeah Antlers, while I like it, doesn't fit Dusthides at all. How will they curl up and roll with them? Batty doesn't fit either Dusthides or Auraboas. It could work on Aethers, Banescales or maybe Aberrations (the second set of wings is awkward and needs more space to...breathe I guess) Antlers would be great on Veilspuns, maybe Gaolers, and Auraboas. The Veil gene needed to be on Undertides and Veilspuns, and maybe Aethers and Auraboas. It feels weird having a watery, flowy gene on Dusthides. Whiskers feels tacked on for them too. I would have preferred Skeletal, Stinger, Scuttle, Terracotta, Shardflank, Chitin, and Plating as genes that would make sense for the breed.
Hispida wrote on 2024-04-23 14:10:31:

Yeah Antlers, while I like it, doesn't fit Dusthides at all. How will they curl up and roll with them? Batty doesn't fit either Dusthides or Auraboas. It could work on Aethers, Banescales or maybe Aberrations (the second set of wings is awkward and needs more space to...breathe I guess)

Antlers would be great on Veilspuns, maybe Gaolers, and Auraboas.

The Veil gene needed to be on Undertides and Veilspuns, and maybe Aethers and Auraboas. It feels weird having a watery, flowy gene on Dusthides. Whiskers feels tacked on for them too. I would have preferred Skeletal, Stinger, Scuttle, Terracotta, Shardflank, Chitin, and Plating as genes that would make sense for the breed.
gfCdYdH.gif Ninth | She/Her
Shadow and Bone Hatchery
Skins and Accents
I think Dusthides are absolutely amazing! ^^

I really love their design! They feel so unique and different from the other breeds while still maintaining a cohesive look. One of the things I love most about Flight Rising dragons is how distinct they are from other dragon designs, and I feel that Dusthides fit that perfectly. Their smooth, bald heads allow to focus on some of the more interesting features like their cool large tails and their thick claws. They curl up into adorable balls that look strong and defensive. And while I didn't care for their wings at first, I quickly came to like them when I realized how they fit cleanly into their design as a whole.

I also love how they are obviously earth dragons without being too similar to Snappers, or looking too much like earth dragon tropes and they don't read as 'not a dragon' either. This is something that all the designs on FR balance really well.

While I can understand the frustration of some about the number of limbs, ect, it has been a few years since the last ancient that followed the standard limbs (Vielspuns). It is not guaranteed that every ancient will be unique in this way, but we've had Abberations, Undertides, Aethers, Sandsurges, and Auraboas with different limbs from the standard.

I do agree that ancients are coming out a bit too fast. I don't feel like I've properly enjoyed Auraboas before Dusthides came out (same with Sandsurges before Auraboas), but that doesn't mean Dusthides are bad. They are still plenty amazing. :)

I actually really like the variety of the genes, especially the terts. While there are some tertiaries that I'm hoping to see come to Dusthides in the future, I'm actually very happy with what they have available now. While Dusthides originate from earth, a lot of the terts work well for many different themes. Antlers are great for nature/ice/or a more fluffy look. Veil works for watery/delicate/fancy vibes. Glowtail is light themed, Spores can be earthy or plague, Anglers deep sea or dark tunnels, and so on. Not all of them are are top tier, but the variety is nice.

Overall, I think Dusthides are a great addition to Flight Rising's dragons. I honestly think the biggest thing holding them back is how close the release was to the last ancient, but that isn't a problem with Dusthides, but as FR release schedule. They are cute, rolly dergs with amazing design and potential. ^^
I think Dusthides are absolutely amazing! ^^

I really love their design! They feel so unique and different from the other breeds while still maintaining a cohesive look. One of the things I love most about Flight Rising dragons is how distinct they are from other dragon designs, and I feel that Dusthides fit that perfectly. Their smooth, bald heads allow to focus on some of the more interesting features like their cool large tails and their thick claws. They curl up into adorable balls that look strong and defensive. And while I didn't care for their wings at first, I quickly came to like them when I realized how they fit cleanly into their design as a whole.

I also love how they are obviously earth dragons without being too similar to Snappers, or looking too much like earth dragon tropes and they don't read as 'not a dragon' either. This is something that all the designs on FR balance really well.

While I can understand the frustration of some about the number of limbs, ect, it has been a few years since the last ancient that followed the standard limbs (Vielspuns). It is not guaranteed that every ancient will be unique in this way, but we've had Abberations, Undertides, Aethers, Sandsurges, and Auraboas with different limbs from the standard.

I do agree that ancients are coming out a bit too fast. I don't feel like I've properly enjoyed Auraboas before Dusthides came out (same with Sandsurges before Auraboas), but that doesn't mean Dusthides are bad. They are still plenty amazing. :)

I actually really like the variety of the genes, especially the terts. While there are some tertiaries that I'm hoping to see come to Dusthides in the future, I'm actually very happy with what they have available now. While Dusthides originate from earth, a lot of the terts work well for many different themes. Antlers are great for nature/ice/or a more fluffy look. Veil works for watery/delicate/fancy vibes. Glowtail is light themed, Spores can be earthy or plague, Anglers deep sea or dark tunnels, and so on. Not all of them are are top tier, but the variety is nice.

Overall, I think Dusthides are a great addition to Flight Rising's dragons. I honestly think the biggest thing holding them back is how close the release was to the last ancient, but that isn't a problem with Dusthides, but as FR release schedule. They are cute, rolly dergs with amazing design and potential. ^^
py6UVcW.gif
oMclmEv.gif
zNQIhH1.gif
lINlp3z.png
mbFbR5h.png
fg2i3dr.png
Wpb3gEc.png
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33