Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | retain some ancient gene exclusivity
1 2 3 4 5
The ship has already sailed on this one, I think. Personally I would have liked it better if each specific ancient gene had stayed exclusive to its respective ancient breed. I even would have liked it a lot if ancients got only 100% new genes, with no port of modern genes to them at any point.

But yeah, it's... Too late for this, ahah. The very first ancient breed didn't work like that, and none of the others did. And with all the "When is X gene getting ported to moderns" or "I wish X Ancient got X gene" threads that pop up super often, I think people who appreciate the exclusivity of genes are a pretty small minority. It's a shame, I know I would like Ancients a lot more if they looked completely different, with their own set of genes that no one else could have, but eh. They're okay !
The ship has already sailed on this one, I think. Personally I would have liked it better if each specific ancient gene had stayed exclusive to its respective ancient breed. I even would have liked it a lot if ancients got only 100% new genes, with no port of modern genes to them at any point.

But yeah, it's... Too late for this, ahah. The very first ancient breed didn't work like that, and none of the others did. And with all the "When is X gene getting ported to moderns" or "I wish X Ancient got X gene" threads that pop up super often, I think people who appreciate the exclusivity of genes are a pretty small minority. It's a shame, I know I would like Ancients a lot more if they looked completely different, with their own set of genes that no one else could have, but eh. They're okay !
tumblr_inline_pawby3qPs91rbjkvp_540.png
ancients are at an extreme disadvantage compared to moderns and i was in the same boat for a while, but not having to keep a breed i dislike for a single cool color/gene combo is far better than arbitrary forced restrictions which already exist in the limited gene pool of every ancient. this is a situation where not everyone is going to be happy, that's to be said for every content update but with the blistering pace that new ancients get released its at the forefront of everyone's minds (though i will admit its baffling to keep having similar genes released for different breeds if the intention is to have all linebreaking terts across all ancients). having a fest gene released every month is enough to get a lot of users upset i think the sheer bulk of breed related content released in the past few years is firing people up in the wrong way.
ancients are at an extreme disadvantage compared to moderns and i was in the same boat for a while, but not having to keep a breed i dislike for a single cool color/gene combo is far better than arbitrary forced restrictions which already exist in the limited gene pool of every ancient. this is a situation where not everyone is going to be happy, that's to be said for every content update but with the blistering pace that new ancients get released its at the forefront of everyone's minds (though i will admit its baffling to keep having similar genes released for different breeds if the intention is to have all linebreaking terts across all ancients). having a fest gene released every month is enough to get a lot of users upset i think the sheer bulk of breed related content released in the past few years is firing people up in the wrong way.
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
Honestly I feel like having the line breaking terts for ancients-only is the part that offsets their lack of apparel. I'd be interested in seeing all non line breaking prim/sec sets be on every dragon breed, ancient and modern. It gives everyone more cusomization options and there's no real reason not to. Ancients would still have their standout terts that make them different and unique.

When ancients were first released I was excited but then was also disappointed when I found out there were entire gene sets that my other dragons couldn't use 'just because' when there was no real reason. When they were announced, I was under the impression that only the super cool line breaking stuff would be ancient exclusive.

Mind you, I also think this should go in reverse, ancients should have access to all prim/sec gene pairs for customization options. Ancients have such small pools to choose from. I get genes can be a lot of work, but they're already streamlined their system and made it easier for them. The amazing terts were supposed to be the trade off for apparel, but I didn't think we'd have to sacrifice 3/4 of our gene options as well.
Honestly I feel like having the line breaking terts for ancients-only is the part that offsets their lack of apparel. I'd be interested in seeing all non line breaking prim/sec sets be on every dragon breed, ancient and modern. It gives everyone more cusomization options and there's no real reason not to. Ancients would still have their standout terts that make them different and unique.

When ancients were first released I was excited but then was also disappointed when I found out there were entire gene sets that my other dragons couldn't use 'just because' when there was no real reason. When they were announced, I was under the impression that only the super cool line breaking stuff would be ancient exclusive.

Mind you, I also think this should go in reverse, ancients should have access to all prim/sec gene pairs for customization options. Ancients have such small pools to choose from. I get genes can be a lot of work, but they're already streamlined their system and made it easier for them. The amazing terts were supposed to be the trade off for apparel, but I didn't think we'd have to sacrifice 3/4 of our gene options as well.
LVeJ3XV.png8KFUJHl.pngBVsqDM4.png
I have to say no support. I sympathize but at the same time can't really understand this argument. There's no real obligation for you to have each breed; if you don't feel a need to have a breed, just don't get it. if you only like ancients for having a unique prim/sec, why do you own them? It feels unfair to potentially lock other people out of having interesting genes on breeds they like without using breeds they enjoy less. The bonuses of ancients are meant to be cheap scrolls, unique terts and unique bodyplans, is that not enough for them to be unique?
I have to say no support. I sympathize but at the same time can't really understand this argument. There's no real obligation for you to have each breed; if you don't feel a need to have a breed, just don't get it. if you only like ancients for having a unique prim/sec, why do you own them? It feels unfair to potentially lock other people out of having interesting genes on breeds they like without using breeds they enjoy less. The bonuses of ancients are meant to be cheap scrolls, unique terts and unique bodyplans, is that not enough for them to be unique?
eheu... ova!
no pronouns, refer to me as Dormie or Dormiebasne. Don't use they/them please.
no support, don't really get why one would not want more customization in your dragons.
no support, don't really get why one would not want more customization in your dragons.
STRANGEFLESH
>It/It's
>friendly/open to chat! I love pings and messages
>wishlist
>lineage
>About me
tumblr-paypl0-G37c1xpxfk5o4-250.png
I'm mixed on this because on the one had I understand and share the desire for breed exclusivity, but on the other hand some of my favourite genes started out as one breed ancient genes and I would be a bit sad if they had stayed exclusive

I think a possible solution to encourage more breed exclusivity would be to make more genes that can only work on one breed (like spade/diamond on abberations) and more line breaking tertiaries that stay breed exclusive

Most ancient breeds never get any new breed exclusive genes after they launch, so in some ways it feels as if ports take away from their appeal. I think introducing new breed exclusive genes to older breeds would help reduce that feeling
I'm mixed on this because on the one had I understand and share the desire for breed exclusivity, but on the other hand some of my favourite genes started out as one breed ancient genes and I would be a bit sad if they had stayed exclusive

I think a possible solution to encourage more breed exclusivity would be to make more genes that can only work on one breed (like spade/diamond on abberations) and more line breaking tertiaries that stay breed exclusive

Most ancient breeds never get any new breed exclusive genes after they launch, so in some ways it feels as if ports take away from their appeal. I think introducing new breed exclusive genes to older breeds would help reduce that feeling
"Hi my name is Crow with a B and I’ve been afraid of insects my whole lif-" "Stop stop stop- where?" "What?" "Where’s the B? "TherE'S A BEE???"
Pixel Adopts --- Wishlist/Gene tracker
I agree, some can be expanded, but a portion should be Ancient exclusive
I agree, some can be expanded, but a portion should be Ancient exclusive
I can understand fully where this is coming from and I'm a bit torn, but I'm leaning towards no support - I'd rather more customizability than exclusivity. I kinda liked the idea another user mentioned of making some genes have a more unique look on certain ancients - and that already exists with Filligree on Banescales - but that also runs into the same issues others have mentioned of, a gene you really like being exclusive to a dragon breed you don't like.

It's hard because conceptually I do feel like ancients *deserve* to have some more customization and some exclusivity, but I'd like other dragons to have a lot of ancient exclusive genes cause they're so cool and I want to see them implemented in other ways.
I can understand fully where this is coming from and I'm a bit torn, but I'm leaning towards no support - I'd rather more customizability than exclusivity. I kinda liked the idea another user mentioned of making some genes have a more unique look on certain ancients - and that already exists with Filligree on Banescales - but that also runs into the same issues others have mentioned of, a gene you really like being exclusive to a dragon breed you don't like.

It's hard because conceptually I do feel like ancients *deserve* to have some more customization and some exclusivity, but I'd like other dragons to have a lot of ancient exclusive genes cause they're so cool and I want to see them implemented in other ways.
Friendly reminder when pinging me: My username has two 'a's in it.
15ovz7K.pngjBEX2Bu.pnggfOIoMP.pngeswSnrS.pngO62tc6n.png
AaYNmEX.pngbCuiqGR.pngoczO35g.pngMq6kNcy.pngHxL61bT.png

oaolHwW.png56yqAPu.pngll0CfnD.pngHhpzPA3.pngA6Pqy3l.png
FObX7rS.pngnWiQNX9.pngDXTcInl.png4ogWlJU.png
A lot of people are echoing my own sentiment so I'll make it brief. While I agree with this for the Ancient tertiary genes - especially the line breaking ones that can't be ported to Moderns anyway - I'm not in favour of limiting Primary and Secondary genes in the same way. Even then, I'm not for limiting tertiaries to a single Ancient breed; for example I was really excited when Sandsurges got Branches!

To me, the appeal of Ancients lies more in their unique anatomy and fun tertiary genes. Those are enough to keep me invested despite the apparel restrictions.
A lot of people are echoing my own sentiment so I'll make it brief. While I agree with this for the Ancient tertiary genes - especially the line breaking ones that can't be ported to Moderns anyway - I'm not in favour of limiting Primary and Secondary genes in the same way. Even then, I'm not for limiting tertiaries to a single Ancient breed; for example I was really excited when Sandsurges got Branches!

To me, the appeal of Ancients lies more in their unique anatomy and fun tertiary genes. Those are enough to keep me invested despite the apparel restrictions.
ethanol_by_dislike_like-dbg3xow.png
No matter what genes Aethers get in the future, I will only ever own one. I actually don't even look at Ancient genes, so I'm not actually entirely aware of what I'm missing, but I'm almost to the point myself where I wish they didn't exist. I like their designs, some of them, but I wish they had been Moderns. And many (or all of them, now that we actually have some apparel that doesn't even appear on certain Modern dragons depending on their pose) of them could have been Modern dragons. Would it have taken forever? Yes. Of course. Absolutely. But it would have been great to be able to dress Gaolers.

The things we miss for the sake of impatience. And selling more skin blueprints, probably.

Anyways. Definitely no support ever.

I don't even think line-breaking genes should be exclusive, though I know that'll never happen. I would much prefer to genes have different (in some cases, even wildly different) expressions on different dragons. Look at the way Crackle looks on Auraboas as opposed to a Mirror, for example. Auraboa is soft, more ripply with smaller crackles over the wings. Koi doesn't get on the Veilspun's wings like it does for everything else. Exclusivity should come from "inconsistincies" that arise from a dragon's unique features, not from the patterns we can put on those unique features.
No matter what genes Aethers get in the future, I will only ever own one. I actually don't even look at Ancient genes, so I'm not actually entirely aware of what I'm missing, but I'm almost to the point myself where I wish they didn't exist. I like their designs, some of them, but I wish they had been Moderns. And many (or all of them, now that we actually have some apparel that doesn't even appear on certain Modern dragons depending on their pose) of them could have been Modern dragons. Would it have taken forever? Yes. Of course. Absolutely. But it would have been great to be able to dress Gaolers.

The things we miss for the sake of impatience. And selling more skin blueprints, probably.

Anyways. Definitely no support ever.

I don't even think line-breaking genes should be exclusive, though I know that'll never happen. I would much prefer to genes have different (in some cases, even wildly different) expressions on different dragons. Look at the way Crackle looks on Auraboas as opposed to a Mirror, for example. Auraboa is soft, more ripply with smaller crackles over the wings. Koi doesn't get on the Veilspun's wings like it does for everything else. Exclusivity should come from "inconsistincies" that arise from a dragon's unique features, not from the patterns we can put on those unique features.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
1 2 3 4 5