Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Genes hot take(?)
1 2 3 4 5
I was going through my project list (I have far too many), and realized most of my projects struggle with a tertiary gene.

That's when I realized that..I don't have to have a tert?? And it would be fine??? It looks better without one anyways?

I don't even know how that mindset got stuck with me, but normalize dragons not using all genes. I barely use primary genes on my favorite dragons anyways. Basic is good!

What are some hot/lukewarm takes for genes that you all have?

ripple/current is also really good, people are just mean

EDIT: remember to keep this positive guys! Every gene and breed has a way it can look incredible. None really are inherently bad, just unfortunate color combos most of the time.
I was going through my project list (I have far too many), and realized most of my projects struggle with a tertiary gene.

That's when I realized that..I don't have to have a tert?? And it would be fine??? It looks better without one anyways?

I don't even know how that mindset got stuck with me, but normalize dragons not using all genes. I barely use primary genes on my favorite dragons anyways. Basic is good!

What are some hot/lukewarm takes for genes that you all have?

ripple/current is also really good, people are just mean

EDIT: remember to keep this positive guys! Every gene and breed has a way it can look incredible. None really are inherently bad, just unfortunate color combos most of the time.
untitled_by_starfruit_anon-dbeg952.png 0Hfrtrc.pngamika_by_starfruit_anon-dcegr7a.pngkeske_by_starfruit_anon-dcegr46.pngm34-02-book.pngSOH4.pngbPNtqmV.png
vJGwSlb.png
v2PJF9u.png
Tl1dGxE.png
d3OF3Gw.png
mlHpBMC.png

FObX7rS.png
6mVFIuV.png
783743517427367976.png
Some genes are just too busy to be used with any sort of apparel. Keeping them naked looks better.
Some genes are just too busy to be used with any sort of apparel. Keeping them naked looks better.
mt8lr6s.png
Speckle/freckle are good actually. Just a nice lowkey texture for when you don't want to introduce accent colors.

Breakup is also situationally good - obviously it doesn't work with every dragon, but it's always worth checking if dealing with a tough scry.

Wish is an ugly gene. It's just an inferior circuit (too busy to be used with most prim/sec genes, and even in instances where it would work, circuit looks way better). The face mask is particularly ugly.
Speckle/freckle are good actually. Just a nice lowkey texture for when you don't want to introduce accent colors.

Breakup is also situationally good - obviously it doesn't work with every dragon, but it's always worth checking if dealing with a tough scry.

Wish is an ugly gene. It's just an inferior circuit (too busy to be used with most prim/sec genes, and even in instances where it would work, circuit looks way better). The face mask is particularly ugly.
Bubbly Buddy Razanei Lineage Project
Virtual Hibden
Breed Out the Ugly Challenge
Honestly yeah. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/24140463][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/241405/24140463_350.png[/img][/url] I originally felt like I NEEDED TO gene her in some way and had some scries in mind. But after a while, I just don't think I really need to to be happy with her. Not every dragon needs genes to look good and serve their purpose.
Honestly yeah.

24140463_350.png
I originally felt like I NEEDED TO gene her in some way and had some scries in mind. But after a while, I just don't think I really need to to be happy with her. Not every dragon needs genes to look good and serve their purpose.
UqN4jFQ.png
My ADHD causes me to type faster than I think so if my sentence structure is weird, I'm sorry
[quote name="@Achaius" date="2024-03-04 08:19:13" ] Speckle/freckle are good actually. Just a nice lowkey texture for when you don't want to introduce accent colors. Breakup is also situationally good - obviously it doesn't work with every dragon, but it's always worth checking if dealing with a tough scry. Wish is an ugly gene. It's just an inferior circuit (too busy to be used with most prim/sec genes, and even in instances where it would work, circuit looks way better). The face mask is particularly ugly. [/quote] AGREED on Speckle/Freckle! I have used it for a few dragons. I think wish can work, but it's very situational. Like if its an XYY or an XYX, so that way it blends into the other gene!
@Achaius wrote on 2024-03-04 08:19:13:

AGREED on Speckle/Freckle! I have used it for a few dragons. I think wish can work, but it's very situational. Like if its an XYY or an XYX, so that way it blends into the other gene!
untitled_by_starfruit_anon-dbeg952.png 0Hfrtrc.pngamika_by_starfruit_anon-dcegr7a.pngkeske_by_starfruit_anon-dcegr46.pngm34-02-book.pngSOH4.pngbPNtqmV.png
vJGwSlb.png
v2PJF9u.png
Tl1dGxE.png
d3OF3Gw.png
mlHpBMC.png

FObX7rS.png
6mVFIuV.png
783743517427367976.png
You can absolutely spend the money to gene up a dragon and still cover them in a fullbody skin! I know a lot of people don't like fullbody skins, [i]especially[/i] on pretty dragons or dragons they've put money into geneing. But I'm not like that - 9 times out of 10, I want to like the dragon beneath the skin just as much as the skin itself. You never know if you might need to take the skin off for something [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/1475758][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/14758/1475758_350.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=29&bodygene=163&breed=22&element=5&eyetype=4&gender=0&tert=15&tertgene=142&winggene=157&wings=24&auth=bf3f9dc9b338a70af2e552bdd6271a834031beec&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url] Like this guy. I completely intend on giving him Cinder, Alloy, and Lace. But I also fully intend on keeping the skin on him!
You can absolutely spend the money to gene up a dragon and still cover them in a fullbody skin! I know a lot of people don't like fullbody skins, especially on pretty dragons or dragons they've put money into geneing. But I'm not like that - 9 times out of 10, I want to like the dragon beneath the skin just as much as the skin itself. You never know if you might need to take the skin off for something

1475758_350.png
dragon?age=1&body=29&bodygene=163&breed=22&element=5&eyetype=4&gender=0&tert=15&tertgene=142&winggene=157&wings=24&auth=bf3f9dc9b338a70af2e552bdd6271a834031beec&dummyext=prev.png

Like this guy. I completely intend on giving him Cinder, Alloy, and Lace. But I also fully intend on keeping the skin on him!
mlHpBMC.png
9hqcHsy.png
ZxAR91S.png
HkZAJYc.png
watervs1.pngHbzShnh.pngmbWgKmD.pngwatershieldr.png
[quote name="Achaius" date="2024-03-04 08:19:13" ] Breakup is also situationally good - obviously it doesn't work with every dragon, but it's always worth checking if dealing with a tough scry. [/quote] IM NUMBER ONE MOSAIC/BREAKUP ENJOYER im so happy someone else sees its potential
Achaius wrote on 2024-03-04 08:19:13:
IM NUMBER ONE MOSAIC/BREAKUP ENJOYER im so happy someone else sees its potential
WBsJuD1.png
i'm bugs
she/they/rot/.com
forum pings make me go ":)"
I have this problem too. Like my brain says I HAVE to have a tert, but so many of my G1s have troubling tert colors that are too clashy for my liking. So I started making scries with basic tert and it fixed so many of them??

not sure if this is a hot take or not but polkadot is a top tier gene and I don't get the hate for it lol
I have this problem too. Like my brain says I HAVE to have a tert, but so many of my G1s have troubling tert colors that are too clashy for my liking. So I started making scries with basic tert and it fixed so many of them??

not sure if this is a hot take or not but polkadot is a top tier gene and I don't get the hate for it lol
3Y3t130.pnglctaZd8.png AvyBrzc.png
[quote name="Achaius" date="2024-03-04 08:19:13" ] Speckle/freckle are good actually. Just a nice lowkey texture for when you don't want to introduce accent colors. [/quote] I second this and add that, if you want something simple and dark, bar/daub can be a real nice choice. Also nice for fiery or earthy dragons for that scorched earth feel. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/86571440][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/865715/86571440_350.png[/img][/url] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=3805200&skin=52003&apparel=&xt=dressing.png[/img] (Last one is a scry because blossom is pain)
Achaius wrote on 2024-03-04 08:19:13:
I second this and add that, if you want something simple and dark, bar/daub can be a real nice choice. Also nice for fiery or earthy dragons for that scorched earth feel.
86571440_350.png
scry?sdid=3805200&skin=52003&apparel=&xt=dressing.png
(Last one is a scry because blossom is pain)
FObX7rS.png
apUeZZ4.png
If you ping me, please remember to include capitals for each word or I won't get your ping! It's GaleGecko, not galegecko.
Spines can look good intentionally; it's not just a last resort to hide ugly terts! [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=93&breed=20&element=8&eyetype=13&gender=0&tert=104&tertgene=206&winggene=93&wings=19&auth=839553c5bc32424aabdda8e54878e2566d0053d5&dummyext=prev.png[/img] (midnight/storm/yellow)
Spines can look good intentionally; it's not just a last resort to hide ugly terts!

dragon?age=1&body=11&bodygene=93&breed=20&element=8&eyetype=13&gender=0&tert=104&tertgene=206&winggene=93&wings=19&auth=839553c5bc32424aabdda8e54878e2566d0053d5&dummyext=prev.png

(midnight/storm/yellow)
zqDx8gm.png mysticmeat.gif
1 2 3 4 5