Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Looking for new books to listen to
1 2 3
ooh I recently listened to Good Omens and am currently listening to Artemis Fowl!! (I LOVED that series as a kid and still reread/listen to it every so often)

anyways go listen to Howl's Moving Castle + Castle in the Air + The House of Many Ways
(just make sure to not listen to the abridged versions, I accidentally did that for the second book in the series and it's like half the length of the actual book and some key details and funny moments were missing :( )

also listen to Fablehaven :D although iirc only the first book has an audiobook version which is sad. but it was my favourite series in middle school and is literally my favourite series to this day (the Howl's Moving Castle series is in second place) there are one or two sucky things though but it was released in 2006 so that makes sense :P
(also if you do listen to/read this you can skip the second series if you want, I mean it's not THAT bad but it's kind of bad. and the first series is definitely WAY better and self-contained so you'll be fine without it!)
ooh I recently listened to Good Omens and am currently listening to Artemis Fowl!! (I LOVED that series as a kid and still reread/listen to it every so often)

anyways go listen to Howl's Moving Castle + Castle in the Air + The House of Many Ways
(just make sure to not listen to the abridged versions, I accidentally did that for the second book in the series and it's like half the length of the actual book and some key details and funny moments were missing :( )

also listen to Fablehaven :D although iirc only the first book has an audiobook version which is sad. but it was my favourite series in middle school and is literally my favourite series to this day (the Howl's Moving Castle series is in second place) there are one or two sucky things though but it was released in 2006 so that makes sense :P
(also if you do listen to/read this you can skip the second series if you want, I mean it's not THAT bad but it's kind of bad. and the first series is definitely WAY better and self-contained so you'll be fine without it!)
~~~~ hello ^^ ~~~~
ara - 21 - she/any
pings and messages
always welcome :)
-
hh5n4WA.pngmlHpBMC.png
tqGkHih.png0XHtpWy.png
P4eo1Gw.png

---
Accent: petals of violet
500g/kt each
Here are a few ideas based on your booklist:

The Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin- this is a wonderful sweeping fantasy series about godlings and power and effecting change. The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is the first book in the series.

Temeraire series by Naomi Novik- dragons. dragons and emotions. Her Magesty's Dragon is the first book in the series.

Binti series by Nnedi Okorafor- space science fiction. Binti is the first book in the series.

The Homeward Bounders by Diana Wynne Jones- a powerful alien race plays D&D with people and the people try to find their way home. Standalone novel.
Here are a few ideas based on your booklist:

The Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin- this is a wonderful sweeping fantasy series about godlings and power and effecting change. The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is the first book in the series.

Temeraire series by Naomi Novik- dragons. dragons and emotions. Her Magesty's Dragon is the first book in the series.

Binti series by Nnedi Okorafor- space science fiction. Binti is the first book in the series.

The Homeward Bounders by Diana Wynne Jones- a powerful alien race plays D&D with people and the people try to find their way home. Standalone novel.
If at first you don't succeed, scry, scry again.
[quote name="Transkovsky" date="2024-02-21 13:47:26" ] the locked tomb [emoji=mirror size=1] not a wlw shipping sim, despite what the reviews say, first book is a murder mystery whos gonna die thingy, second book is.. monster hunting training i think, third book is gritty dystopia (if you do, keep in mind that that one guys name is ortis, not otis) [emoji=undertide size=1] [/quote] Seconding this suggestion, I came to say this same thing. Forewarning, there is a lot of body horror but Tamsyn does a great job writing it in a way that feels gross and horrible without just outright telling you. It's weird to describe but worth a listen. I've listened through the first book and I'm about a third into the second
Transkovsky wrote on 2024-02-21 13:47:26:
the locked tomb

not a wlw shipping sim, despite what the reviews say, first book is a murder mystery whos gonna die thingy, second book is.. monster hunting training i think, third book is gritty dystopia

(if you do, keep in mind that that one guys name is ortis, not otis)
Seconding this suggestion, I came to say this same thing. Forewarning, there is a lot of body horror but Tamsyn does a great job writing it in a way that feels gross and horrible without just outright telling you. It's weird to describe but worth a listen. I've listened through the first book and I'm about a third into the second
bead-divider-vertical-small-100x10.png Mikah or SentientPumpkins
MUYNhfy.png
JvUa9ma.png
WjJZ2Rn.png
FObX7rS.png
5hF3FGk.png
Lantern-2.png bead-divider-vertical-small-100x10.png
tChn3sz.png
I work full time and I'm a full time student, responses may be slow
@glarthir

I haven't but I will defiantly add that to my check it out list, it sounds oh so interesting.

@arawoods Oh man I totally forgot about Fablehaven, I remember seeing those all over when I was back in school. I also think I have howls moving castle thanks to audible +, I need to go back and look at all my free snags to see if I've listened to it.

@rebelcoelacanth That first series sounds super familiar, I need to see if that's something I've dabbled in before, but all of those will be going on my check it out list for sure.

@Transkovsky & @SentientPumpkins

Audible had the first book of the series free to grab from the + library so I'm currently listening to it, I'm just starting chapter 3, and so far I'm liking it, I'll have more to say once I'm an hour or two deep. (just thought you'd like to know ^.^)
@glarthir

I haven't but I will defiantly add that to my check it out list, it sounds oh so interesting.

@arawoods Oh man I totally forgot about Fablehaven, I remember seeing those all over when I was back in school. I also think I have howls moving castle thanks to audible +, I need to go back and look at all my free snags to see if I've listened to it.

@rebelcoelacanth That first series sounds super familiar, I need to see if that's something I've dabbled in before, but all of those will be going on my check it out list for sure.

@Transkovsky & @SentientPumpkins

Audible had the first book of the series free to grab from the + library so I'm currently listening to it, I'm just starting chapter 3, and so far I'm liking it, I'll have more to say once I'm an hour or two deep. (just thought you'd like to know ^.^)
Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch,,, Its a book series about a police officer (Peter Grant) discovering that magic is real and then solving magic related crime while also learning how to do it himself!

The first two books are kinda awkward sometimes but the characters are really loveable and the story/magic system gave me brainrot material for a solid year spucpazcüaqpzc

I would genuinely die for the guy that reads the audiobooks
Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch,,, Its a book series about a police officer (Peter Grant) discovering that magic is real and then solving magic related crime while also learning how to do it himself!

The first two books are kinda awkward sometimes but the characters are really loveable and the story/magic system gave me brainrot material for a solid year spucpazcüaqpzc

I would genuinely die for the guy that reads the audiobooks
J9cpo9x.png183.png
@TeddyPigeonz

Oooooo That sounds wicked interesting, 100% adding that to my list of things to add to my listen list.
@TeddyPigeonz

Oooooo That sounds wicked interesting, 100% adding that to my list of things to add to my listen list.
The Fallen Gods trilogy is something worth checking out if you're into Dark Fantasy, Godkiller is the first book in the series and I'm pretty sure the second one released quite recently (I haven't got it yet though)

Amygdala by Sam Fennah is also a super good read if you're not intimidated by larger stories lol. This one's a sci-fi political drama though I'd say it has some fantasy elements sprinkled in as well

(Hopefully they actually have these as audiobooks lmao)
The Fallen Gods trilogy is something worth checking out if you're into Dark Fantasy, Godkiller is the first book in the series and I'm pretty sure the second one released quite recently (I haven't got it yet though)

Amygdala by Sam Fennah is also a super good read if you're not intimidated by larger stories lol. This one's a sci-fi political drama though I'd say it has some fantasy elements sprinkled in as well

(Hopefully they actually have these as audiobooks lmao)
75166122_VZYp9DEPHPhPQoY.png 63854292_WsxXCfbzeWT8ESA.png 75166122_VZYp9DEPHPhPQoY.png

fLdYOuE.pngpIlgc2u.pngRkXJJ5L.pngmtHAEL4.pngbYt72YT.pngQUIpVFE.png
jbMLSIO.pngleo4ZYP.pngC3gPKb3.png66wxnCy.pngrUoKR6y.pngll0CfnD.png
Seconding a lot of books here, but I'd like to add on Space Opera. The plot is about an intergalactic Eurovision-like contest all civilizations must. compete in to prove they are sapient and worthy of life. Humanity is contacted for the first time and if they lose, they will be exterminated so the dolphins can become the next. civilization, so Decibel Jones must reunite his old pop group when they become the only (living) performers able to compete, which is somewhat difficult considering Mira Wonderful Star, one of the members, is dead.

But there's no problem the power of music cannot overcome!

ll the aliens are incredibly weird and creative (anglerfish-flamingos, a sapient virus puppeteering corpses, Clippy, and rocks, among others), the humor is spot on, the narrator is incredibly charming, and it's an absolute delight the entire time.
Seconding a lot of books here, but I'd like to add on Space Opera. The plot is about an intergalactic Eurovision-like contest all civilizations must. compete in to prove they are sapient and worthy of life. Humanity is contacted for the first time and if they lose, they will be exterminated so the dolphins can become the next. civilization, so Decibel Jones must reunite his old pop group when they become the only (living) performers able to compete, which is somewhat difficult considering Mira Wonderful Star, one of the members, is dead.

But there's no problem the power of music cannot overcome!

ll the aliens are incredibly weird and creative (anglerfish-flamingos, a sapient virus puppeteering corpses, Clippy, and rocks, among others), the humor is spot on, the narrator is incredibly charming, and it's an absolute delight the entire time.
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
Dungeon Crawler Carl

it is AMAZING and the voice actor is incredible and hilarious. it sounds like a a stupid book and it has made me cry more than once. i listened to all 6 books in about 2 months

plot: one day while a man is chasing his cat who escaped out their apartment window, the world ends. aliens invade earth. all buildings are toppled. in their place, a dungeon forms. this dungeon is broadcast throughout the universe as a sick hunger games-esque competition. nobody has ever completed it.
Dungeon Crawler Carl

it is AMAZING and the voice actor is incredible and hilarious. it sounds like a a stupid book and it has made me cry more than once. i listened to all 6 books in about 2 months

plot: one day while a man is chasing his cat who escaped out their apartment window, the world ends. aliens invade earth. all buildings are toppled. in their place, a dungeon forms. this dungeon is broadcast throughout the universe as a sick hunger games-esque competition. nobody has ever completed it.
16453.png16479.png16477.png16454.png
NOTE: my username is quinceLy, not quincy/quincey --- den/lair cleanout!!
I'm currently listening to the Drizzt series by R.A. Salvator. It's all Dungeons and Dragons stuff it you're into that. Like....39 books though. I'll take a break from it at some point and listen to the Lord of the Rings books.
I'm currently listening to the Drizzt series by R.A. Salvator. It's all Dungeons and Dragons stuff it you're into that. Like....39 books though. I'll take a break from it at some point and listen to the Lord of the Rings books.
xNuQc4c.png +2 FR time
1 2 3