Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | How do you think RNG works on FR?
1 2
So, one of my favorite games is Stardew Valley, and as with most RNG, it uses a seed. A number assigned to your game that is used to calculate anything "random" that happens in the game.

Assuming FR uses a seed too.. how do you think it works? Bad RNG for the day? Just for a coli instance, and when you leave and come back it assignes a new seed?

Yesterday coli was flawless.. so many chests.. Today I went to Ghostlight with fodder in tow, got a boss, left, got a boss, left again, got a boss. *laugh* I have had to restart each batch of fodder so many times, it's ridiculous. Very few chests in coli, none in gathering, but bonding with fams has been good. Crim is stingy today, yesterday she was fabulous. Exalting has been generous.

So yeah.. do we get a new seed per account per day at rollover? Implying we just get "bad luck days" (or rather, our luck is in a different place each day.. bad coli day might be a great egg hatching day)

Thoughts?
So, one of my favorite games is Stardew Valley, and as with most RNG, it uses a seed. A number assigned to your game that is used to calculate anything "random" that happens in the game.

Assuming FR uses a seed too.. how do you think it works? Bad RNG for the day? Just for a coli instance, and when you leave and come back it assignes a new seed?

Yesterday coli was flawless.. so many chests.. Today I went to Ghostlight with fodder in tow, got a boss, left, got a boss, left again, got a boss. *laugh* I have had to restart each batch of fodder so many times, it's ridiculous. Very few chests in coli, none in gathering, but bonding with fams has been good. Crim is stingy today, yesterday she was fabulous. Exalting has been generous.

So yeah.. do we get a new seed per account per day at rollover? Implying we just get "bad luck days" (or rather, our luck is in a different place each day.. bad coli day might be a great egg hatching day)

Thoughts?
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
I'm p sure it is partially tied to the timer (since unrelated g1 hatchlings born at the same time tend to have similar colors), and coli might be using that and another set of factors to determine an enemy and drop seed.
I'm p sure it is partially tied to the timer (since unrelated g1 hatchlings born at the same time tend to have similar colors), and coli might be using that and another set of factors to determine an enemy and drop seed.
Imagining dragons...

Lucky - HxcMlGn.png - JrEJc4j.png
fanfiction writer and chronic daydreamer - uPNWHgD.png

EHXIkb0.png
When a seed is used, there usually aren't "good luck seeds" and "bad lucks seeds", as in seeds that consistently give bad or good results.

It's just a starting value used to create a deterministic process that looks random, but no matter the seed, the distribution of the results over a long time will follow the same distribution
When a seed is used, there usually aren't "good luck seeds" and "bad lucks seeds", as in seeds that consistently give bad or good results.

It's just a starting value used to create a deterministic process that looks random, but no matter the seed, the distribution of the results over a long time will follow the same distribution
~_~_~_~_~1108b_300px_loviare_by_miirshroom-dbencv2.png ~_~_~_~_~
I kinda just assumed it was random, like the name states..... Everytime a random choice is set to happen, it randomly selects an option. As simply as rolling a dice or flipping a coin.

I kinda hate the idea that it might actually have some kind of pre-set determination that you're going to have bad luck today. If it's truly random, you can just blame it on the bad luck, but if it's actively choosing to be unlucky then it just kinda feels like the game hates me. As irrational as that sounds.
I kinda just assumed it was random, like the name states..... Everytime a random choice is set to happen, it randomly selects an option. As simply as rolling a dice or flipping a coin.

I kinda hate the idea that it might actually have some kind of pre-set determination that you're going to have bad luck today. If it's truly random, you can just blame it on the bad luck, but if it's actively choosing to be unlucky then it just kinda feels like the game hates me. As irrational as that sounds.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
FR certainly uses seeds- almost every game does. Seeds are far, far easier to use than true RNG for essentially the same result.

If I remember correctly, I heard that some years ago there was an incident where people hatched nest eggs... the site needed to re-rollover or something, and the hatchlings were different. For that, at least, it seems the seed changes each rollover. I don't think we know if the same can be said for any other aspect of the site.

At the end of the day knowing its a seed makes no real difference. A 'good seed' and a 'bad seed' are no different to 'good luck' and 'bad luck', so you can ponder about it all you like!
FR certainly uses seeds- almost every game does. Seeds are far, far easier to use than true RNG for essentially the same result.

If I remember correctly, I heard that some years ago there was an incident where people hatched nest eggs... the site needed to re-rollover or something, and the hatchlings were different. For that, at least, it seems the seed changes each rollover. I don't think we know if the same can be said for any other aspect of the site.

At the end of the day knowing its a seed makes no real difference. A 'good seed' and a 'bad seed' are no different to 'good luck' and 'bad luck', so you can ponder about it all you like!
Every RNG decision is based on a Noggle chewing on a set of dice behind the scenes. Whatever rolls it spits out is your luck for that draw.
Every RNG decision is based on a Noggle chewing on a set of dice behind the scenes. Whatever rolls it spits out is your luck for that draw.
♥loveyourself♥
1t4XtaG.png
cRHDWyx.png
EIm5dF9.png
tumblr_inline_p81uu9TKgf1tsrqpm_75sq.gif
ll0CfnD.png
Nf8E9Zp.png
QOzSXsE.png
2ou3Y3v.png
♥lovenature♥
[quote name="Teletraan" date="2023-12-18 09:20:21" ] Every RNG decision is based on a Noggle chewing on a set of dice behind the scenes. Whatever rolls it spits out is your luck for that draw. [/quote] This is likely the real truth.
Teletraan wrote on 2023-12-18 09:20:21:
This is likely the real truth.
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
[quote name="Recallback" date="2023-12-18 09:13:39" ] I kinda just assumed it was random, like the name states..... Everytime a random choice is set to happen, it randomly selects an option. As simply as rolling a dice or flipping a coin. I kinda hate the idea that it might actually have some kind of pre-set determination that you're going to have bad luck today. If it's truly random, you can just blame it on the bad luck, but if it's actively choosing to be unlucky then it just kinda feels like the game hates me. As irrational as that sounds. [/quote] So, computers kinda can't [i]do[/i] random very well- they can mimic it, but it'll eventually loop back around. There is a site called random.org that [i]does[/i] do random stuff by measuring a natural random thing (atmospheric noise), and I remember seeing a video of a tech company using a bank of lava lamps for its randomness (no idea how [i]that[/i] works) but I doubt FR uses either. That said, a "bad luck day" isn't how seeds work, per se. Like, even on games like Stardew that you can speedrun, you have to be in the right place at the right time for the good luck even with the right seed. FR has so many things going on at one time, I'd say chalking a bad day up to the RNG is like... it's not wrong, per se, but it's not strictly accurate either?
Recallback wrote on 2023-12-18 09:13:39:

So, computers kinda can't do random very well- they can mimic it, but it'll eventually loop back around. There is a site called random.org that does do random stuff by measuring a natural random thing (atmospheric noise), and I remember seeing a video of a tech company using a bank of lava lamps for its randomness (no idea how that works) but I doubt FR uses either.

That said, a "bad luck day" isn't how seeds work, per se. Like, even on games like Stardew that you can speedrun, you have to be in the right place at the right time for the good luck even with the right seed. FR has so many things going on at one time, I'd say chalking a bad day up to the RNG is like... it's not wrong, per se, but it's not strictly accurate either?
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

because everyone is accessing a single website at the same time i'd imagine the seed would be universal for all players rather than us all having individual seeds, im no expert in programming wizardry but i'd imagine that would be an obscene amount of calculations to run. at least mmo's that you have to download or a mobile app can store your data on the client side. but anyways i don't know if that's a more or less reassuring thing to tell users, rng tends to cluster so both the bad luck and the good luck can happen in spades.
because everyone is accessing a single website at the same time i'd imagine the seed would be universal for all players rather than us all having individual seeds, im no expert in programming wizardry but i'd imagine that would be an obscene amount of calculations to run. at least mmo's that you have to download or a mobile app can store your data on the client side. but anyways i don't know if that's a more or less reassuring thing to tell users, rng tends to cluster so both the bad luck and the good luck can happen in spades.
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves

I've wondered about this before, too. As others have stated, I'm sure the streaks of good or bad luck aren't actually a product of the seed itself, but I do also notice trends where I'll do fine one coli session and then the next I'm getting dodged every other attack and restarting constantly.

I can have a round of fodder take like 90 seconds, and then one time I had it take nearly 20 minutes. All just based on chance.

I've wondered about this before, too. As others have stated, I'm sure the streaks of good or bad luck aren't actually a product of the seed itself, but I do also notice trends where I'll do fine one coli session and then the next I'm getting dodged every other attack and restarting constantly.

I can have a round of fodder take like 90 seconds, and then one time I had it take nearly 20 minutes. All just based on chance.

PbW1AsJ.png
Mundane | he/it | 29

Exalt Rescue
About Me
Wishlist

1 2