Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Passive Coliseum Adventure Activity
1 2
First off-- apologies if this suggestion has been made before, I read pretty thoroughly through the compilation thread and the first few pages of the forum here, and I also did a search for 'coliseum' and did not see this specific thing.

I would love it if Flight Rising would add a passively interactable, timer-based activity (similar to Alchemy or Archeology) but for loot and dragon levels related to Coliseum farming.

In its' current state, Coliseum can definitely be very fun for some players and is very profitable if you have the resources to level a farming team, and then the time to sit down and grind through numerous encounters until you have the requisite amount of loot or levels you desire. However, for some of us, life can get very busy between multiple jobs and games, and while we can easily check in on Flight Rising to do a few simple dailies, it can be hard to find the time to sit down and really grind through a lot of repetitive battles for something that we need, or to train up our dragons or exalt fodder.

So, I would love a passive 'Adventure' activity! My vision for this is the ability to send a party of 1-3 dragons out on an 'adventure' in a specific venue. The dragons would spend an amount to time (several hours, or whatever the developers found best for game balance) 'exploring' the venue, and return with a randomized amount of loot, exp, and potentially treasure. The loot generated would match the venue selected-- stats and a dragon's learned moves would not factor in, but certain types of loot could remain 'rare' just like they are in regular coliseum.

For game balance and general sanity, I imagine only being able to select venues that correspond to the levels of the dragons in the adventuring party. Also, the loot would be randomized and purposefully less than you could get if you had sat down and grinded out coliseum battles for that amount of time-- this enables busy players to still get rewards via adventures, but does not disincentivize or trivialize the efforts of active players who chose to/are able to grind coliseum normally.

Flight Rising would be far from the first game to have something like this! Passive 'adventures' that return combat exp and loot are an emerging staple in many other games that share an audience with Flight Rising, such as Pokemon, Final Fantasy XIV, and Neopets. These games have introduced almost identical features to the one I've suggested to great effect-- they add another reason to keep repeatedly checking in on a game, add a fun but low stakes 'gacha' effect to wondering what loot your party will generate, and can encourage more interaction from busy players who ordinarily may not have sat down to grind out battle levels otherwise. Veteran and dedicated players may also enjoy an additional avenue via which to accrue loot, and players could become more endeared to their dragons if the Adventure page included randomly generated flavor text about the shenanigans their dragons get up to whilst embarked on an adventuring session.

Pros, in brief:
- Ability for busy OR low-treasure new players to more easily accrue loot and levels, without needing the time or treasure funds to build up a combat team and then grind out loot
- Addition of another timer-based activity gives users another reason to keep re-opening the Flight Rising website and check it regularly (good for website health)
- Alternative route for getting coliseum loot may help deflate certain highly sought-after battle items, such as Ambush and Eliminate, since dragons on a passive adventure wouldn't NEED moves
- More accessible route to coli grinding for people with wrist pain/wrist and hand RSIs/carpal tunnel risks (regular coli grinding has a LOT of repetitive clicking!)

Things to consider and admitted potential concerns:
- Loot and exp rates need to be delicately balanced to make sure this feature does NOT wholly replace regular coliseum battles or undermine the efforts of people who enjoy active coliseum farming
- Experience points gained vs amount of time dragons take to complete adventures also need to be considered in order to not disrupt Dominance play (since this would make training fodder easier for many)
- Dragons currently embarked on adventure might potentially need to be 'locked out' of regular coliseum battles (if a player has only One good coli farming team, developers may not want them to be able to 'double dip' by having this same team both actively battling in coliseum whilst also embarked on adventure)
- Developers may want to limit certain types of items from dropping via adventure in order to continue to incentivize active coliseum grinding (example: having festival tokens drop from both adventures and coliseum, but festival skin chests only drop from coliseum)

Whew! Sorry for long post, but I wanted to really take the time to explain my idea in a constructive way, because I can both see a feature like this being really successful on Flight Rising, but also see how players could be concerned about some of the details of it. If you have any ideas, feel free to contribute! Thanks everyone!
First off-- apologies if this suggestion has been made before, I read pretty thoroughly through the compilation thread and the first few pages of the forum here, and I also did a search for 'coliseum' and did not see this specific thing.

I would love it if Flight Rising would add a passively interactable, timer-based activity (similar to Alchemy or Archeology) but for loot and dragon levels related to Coliseum farming.

In its' current state, Coliseum can definitely be very fun for some players and is very profitable if you have the resources to level a farming team, and then the time to sit down and grind through numerous encounters until you have the requisite amount of loot or levels you desire. However, for some of us, life can get very busy between multiple jobs and games, and while we can easily check in on Flight Rising to do a few simple dailies, it can be hard to find the time to sit down and really grind through a lot of repetitive battles for something that we need, or to train up our dragons or exalt fodder.

So, I would love a passive 'Adventure' activity! My vision for this is the ability to send a party of 1-3 dragons out on an 'adventure' in a specific venue. The dragons would spend an amount to time (several hours, or whatever the developers found best for game balance) 'exploring' the venue, and return with a randomized amount of loot, exp, and potentially treasure. The loot generated would match the venue selected-- stats and a dragon's learned moves would not factor in, but certain types of loot could remain 'rare' just like they are in regular coliseum.

For game balance and general sanity, I imagine only being able to select venues that correspond to the levels of the dragons in the adventuring party. Also, the loot would be randomized and purposefully less than you could get if you had sat down and grinded out coliseum battles for that amount of time-- this enables busy players to still get rewards via adventures, but does not disincentivize or trivialize the efforts of active players who chose to/are able to grind coliseum normally.

Flight Rising would be far from the first game to have something like this! Passive 'adventures' that return combat exp and loot are an emerging staple in many other games that share an audience with Flight Rising, such as Pokemon, Final Fantasy XIV, and Neopets. These games have introduced almost identical features to the one I've suggested to great effect-- they add another reason to keep repeatedly checking in on a game, add a fun but low stakes 'gacha' effect to wondering what loot your party will generate, and can encourage more interaction from busy players who ordinarily may not have sat down to grind out battle levels otherwise. Veteran and dedicated players may also enjoy an additional avenue via which to accrue loot, and players could become more endeared to their dragons if the Adventure page included randomly generated flavor text about the shenanigans their dragons get up to whilst embarked on an adventuring session.

Pros, in brief:
- Ability for busy OR low-treasure new players to more easily accrue loot and levels, without needing the time or treasure funds to build up a combat team and then grind out loot
- Addition of another timer-based activity gives users another reason to keep re-opening the Flight Rising website and check it regularly (good for website health)
- Alternative route for getting coliseum loot may help deflate certain highly sought-after battle items, such as Ambush and Eliminate, since dragons on a passive adventure wouldn't NEED moves
- More accessible route to coli grinding for people with wrist pain/wrist and hand RSIs/carpal tunnel risks (regular coli grinding has a LOT of repetitive clicking!)

Things to consider and admitted potential concerns:
- Loot and exp rates need to be delicately balanced to make sure this feature does NOT wholly replace regular coliseum battles or undermine the efforts of people who enjoy active coliseum farming
- Experience points gained vs amount of time dragons take to complete adventures also need to be considered in order to not disrupt Dominance play (since this would make training fodder easier for many)
- Dragons currently embarked on adventure might potentially need to be 'locked out' of regular coliseum battles (if a player has only One good coli farming team, developers may not want them to be able to 'double dip' by having this same team both actively battling in coliseum whilst also embarked on adventure)
- Developers may want to limit certain types of items from dropping via adventure in order to continue to incentivize active coliseum grinding (example: having festival tokens drop from both adventures and coliseum, but festival skin chests only drop from coliseum)

Whew! Sorry for long post, but I wanted to really take the time to explain my idea in a constructive way, because I can both see a feature like this being really successful on Flight Rising, but also see how players could be concerned about some of the details of it. If you have any ideas, feel free to contribute! Thanks everyone!
uKgdbor.gif
jack - he/they/xe
FR time + 3

.... WarXta0.png
I think this is a good idea it also addresses the coli accessibility
Another way to balance it could be to have a session be a day long so it ends at rollover or longer
Maybe can do a longer session of a few days that gives drops or maybe a week for better drops
And maybe a cooldown for the dragons that went on the adventure (maybe 1 week) but these same dragons can still go in normal coli during cooldown

Another idea is the dragons can stay in there and you check the progress after rollover (rng calculates what happened) and they return when 0 health

For leveling it could be that it takes a few hours to level up to make it harder to fodder train and incentivise using regular coli for fodder
I think this is a good idea it also addresses the coli accessibility
Another way to balance it could be to have a session be a day long so it ends at rollover or longer
Maybe can do a longer session of a few days that gives drops or maybe a week for better drops
And maybe a cooldown for the dragons that went on the adventure (maybe 1 week) but these same dragons can still go in normal coli during cooldown

Another idea is the dragons can stay in there and you check the progress after rollover (rng calculates what happened) and they return when 0 health

For leveling it could be that it takes a few hours to level up to make it harder to fodder train and incentivise using regular coli for fodder
give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
Give & get space tertiary game
give & get medusa tertiary game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
Support!
Support!
A pixel lantern adopt made by Celeana, #368748. Link to current dragon avatar.
This lair focuses on collecting auraboas and aberrations. Honorable shoutout to ridgebacks and spirals, my first loves.
I can support this, though I don’t think there should be treasure drops as we don’t get actual treasure naturally from the coliseum. It’s typically from hoardselling, AH for selling items, or chests if we find any. I do wonder if rare items should be considered as a drop though.
I can support this, though I don’t think there should be treasure drops as we don’t get actual treasure naturally from the coliseum. It’s typically from hoardselling, AH for selling items, or chests if we find any. I do wonder if rare items should be considered as a drop though.
91423843p.png Avatar
Dragon
7691.png Selling G1s! 196.png Trading Notes for Notes!
Closed
I really like this idea! Having another way for players to earn loot and fest currency is always appreciated, especially passively. Especially if 'adventuring' rewards EXP, more players can work towards raising a level 25 team ready for the Coli (minus the stones) without having to grind through the venues or rent a level 25 dragon, thus removing another barrier to the Coli.

I also have a few add-ons for the suggestion:
  • Dragons sent on an 'adventure' should have Energy drained upon being deployed, similar to when they faint in the Coli. That way, there is a 'cost' associated with 'adventuring' (like there is with Arlo and Baldwin) and Coli players get the unique advantage of not having their Energy deplete as quickly (if at all, in the case of full lvl 25 teams in lower venues) to make up for the additional costs of fainting and purchasing battlestones.
  • For some flavour and balance, perhaps 'adventures' can give extra rewards if dragons are of a certain flight? Like, for example, maybe an 'adventure' in the Mire gives more rewards if one of the dragons in the party is Arcane-born? This might be a way to add more strategy in terms of what venues/dragons are chosen, since stats and battlestones would be irrelevant.
  • I don't think festival skin chests and Coli genes need to be exclusive to the Coli, especially if the feature is meant to help those who cannot Coli still be able to obtain Coli loot. Perhaps the drop rates for rare loot should be decreased for 'adventuring' to make up for being used by more players?
I really like this idea! Having another way for players to earn loot and fest currency is always appreciated, especially passively. Especially if 'adventuring' rewards EXP, more players can work towards raising a level 25 team ready for the Coli (minus the stones) without having to grind through the venues or rent a level 25 dragon, thus removing another barrier to the Coli.

I also have a few add-ons for the suggestion:
  • Dragons sent on an 'adventure' should have Energy drained upon being deployed, similar to when they faint in the Coli. That way, there is a 'cost' associated with 'adventuring' (like there is with Arlo and Baldwin) and Coli players get the unique advantage of not having their Energy deplete as quickly (if at all, in the case of full lvl 25 teams in lower venues) to make up for the additional costs of fainting and purchasing battlestones.
  • For some flavour and balance, perhaps 'adventures' can give extra rewards if dragons are of a certain flight? Like, for example, maybe an 'adventure' in the Mire gives more rewards if one of the dragons in the party is Arcane-born? This might be a way to add more strategy in terms of what venues/dragons are chosen, since stats and battlestones would be irrelevant.
  • I don't think festival skin chests and Coli genes need to be exclusive to the Coli, especially if the feature is meant to help those who cannot Coli still be able to obtain Coli loot. Perhaps the drop rates for rare loot should be decreased for 'adventuring' to make up for being used by more players?
QBIWg1o.png
. Twistedstripe
FR+3 || he/him

.... OvfZqTx.gif
[quote name="umwelt" date="2023-11-26 09:30:00" ] Pros, in brief: - More accessible route to coli grinding for people with wrist pain/wrist and hand RSIs/carpal tunnel risks (regular coli grinding has a LOT of repetitive clicking!) [/quote] Damn, OP, you could've just tagged me /j For real though, this would make me so happy ;o; Coli [i]can[/i] be fun but I can never play it for long. I effed up my wrist from art school [s]and professors with nightmarish expectations[/s] and I start to experience eye-strain after about say, 10 minutes max. I don't know if anyone else has this problem either but for whatever reason, the game window's resolution is too small on my screen so I usually zoom in to make it easier to play and it... doesn't look great lol. Sadly coli can be more trouble than its worth on some days, and I lose the motivation to coli grind for hibden items and stuff in general. I would very, very happily take an optional adventure-coli version with less reward but still some neat stuff.
umwelt wrote on 2023-11-26 09:30:00:

Pros, in brief:

Damn, OP, you could've just tagged me /j

For real though, this would make me so happy ;o; Coli can be fun but I can never play it for long. I effed up my wrist from art school and professors with nightmarish expectations and I start to experience eye-strain after about say, 10 minutes max. I don't know if anyone else has this problem either but for whatever reason, the game window's resolution is too small on my screen so I usually zoom in to make it easier to play and it... doesn't look great lol.

Sadly coli can be more trouble than its worth on some days, and I lose the motivation to coli grind for hibden items and stuff in general. I would very, very happily take an optional adventure-coli version with less reward but still some neat stuff.
JrBnUx0.pngq9GXCbk.pngsTpMZa9.png
Support! I am personally affected by aforementioned coli accessibility lol

One thing it has that maybe FR can use as inspiration is chance of success or chance of desirable loot

example:
If you have high level characters and go for a low-level mission, you have a high chance of success but low chance for desirable loot

If you have low-level characters and go for a high-level mission, you have a low chance of success but a high chance for desirable loot
Support! I am personally affected by aforementioned coli accessibility lol

One thing it has that maybe FR can use as inspiration is chance of success or chance of desirable loot

example:
If you have high level characters and go for a low-level mission, you have a high chance of success but low chance for desirable loot

If you have low-level characters and go for a high-level mission, you have a low chance of success but a high chance for desirable loot
Siggy.jpg
Thanks for the responses and ideas everyone!! I really like some of these suggestions for it. In particular I think no treasure drops and having an associated energy drain cost could be fair.

One possible idea relating to the energy drain or having an associated cost, is that instead of it draining health and food (since you might run into problems if it costs more food points to send dragons on adventures than they bring back), is that similar to Arlo's, there could be a kind of collectible daily token that you have to spend in order to send the dragons out on an adventure.

One of the other games I mentioned as having a similar concept does something like this-- in Final Fantasy XIV, you can send your retainer out on a 'venture' which requires you to spend a token that is also called a 'venture'. You obtain these venture tokens by completing activities in other areas of the game-- in particular, they're mostly earned by completing daily tasks, and by exchanging other currencies you can obtain from different kinds of special missions and activities.

I could see something like that working well here-- a few different options could include obtaining adventure missions from a daily clickable like Arlo's, including them in the loot table for daily gathering, and maybe random drops from other site activities. I think the idea of a daily click works best here personally, since that's already how similar site activities function.

re: Accessibility! I definitely wrote this with myself in mind too. D: I have weak wrists and am also an artist so my risk of carpal tunnel is pretty high, and the very repetitive fast short-motion clicking that coli demands makes my wrists begin to ache very very quickly. Coli is also admittedly very hard on my ADHD-- I don't do well with repetitive tasks that lack novel stimuli, last for a very long time, and are physically demanding on me, while offering what feels like very little reward per battle. I'd rather be able to send my dragons out on a venture and do other things while they roam around.
Thanks for the responses and ideas everyone!! I really like some of these suggestions for it. In particular I think no treasure drops and having an associated energy drain cost could be fair.

One possible idea relating to the energy drain or having an associated cost, is that instead of it draining health and food (since you might run into problems if it costs more food points to send dragons on adventures than they bring back), is that similar to Arlo's, there could be a kind of collectible daily token that you have to spend in order to send the dragons out on an adventure.

One of the other games I mentioned as having a similar concept does something like this-- in Final Fantasy XIV, you can send your retainer out on a 'venture' which requires you to spend a token that is also called a 'venture'. You obtain these venture tokens by completing activities in other areas of the game-- in particular, they're mostly earned by completing daily tasks, and by exchanging other currencies you can obtain from different kinds of special missions and activities.

I could see something like that working well here-- a few different options could include obtaining adventure missions from a daily clickable like Arlo's, including them in the loot table for daily gathering, and maybe random drops from other site activities. I think the idea of a daily click works best here personally, since that's already how similar site activities function.

re: Accessibility! I definitely wrote this with myself in mind too. D: I have weak wrists and am also an artist so my risk of carpal tunnel is pretty high, and the very repetitive fast short-motion clicking that coli demands makes my wrists begin to ache very very quickly. Coli is also admittedly very hard on my ADHD-- I don't do well with repetitive tasks that lack novel stimuli, last for a very long time, and are physically demanding on me, while offering what feels like very little reward per battle. I'd rather be able to send my dragons out on a venture and do other things while they roam around.
uKgdbor.gif
jack - he/they/xe
FR time + 3

.... WarXta0.png
Gonna come in and say no support. All this would do is cause inflation if coli drops/grinding fodder was made easier. And for what? If there's something you need from the coli you can buy it on the AH if you can't coli. And what good is leveling up dragons if you can't coli? If you want a lvl X dragon for lore purpose you can train someone to level your dragon or purchase a dragon at that level. I find it strange that they would be able to say go into a late stage venue like forbidden portal without having any moves (i guess other than the 2 basic moves all dragons have to start with) under this proposal. Like that doesn't feel right at all lore wise or just logically. Dragons with better stats and better moves should be able to get better/more loot cause they would be stronger and able to get through enemies quicker. Making moves redundant seems weird. [quote]Ability for busy OR low-treasure new players to more easily accrue loot and levels, without needing the time or treasure funds to build up a combat team and then grind out loot[/quote] I'm gonna be frank, building up a coli team is not an expensive barrier. You can (for FREE) rent trainers out to grind your own dragons up or you can buy fully built up lvl 25 dragons (elim included) on the AH for 300g (i waited to find a good deal and got a trainer at 250g). Considering how easy it is to get treasure/gems on flight rising that really is not very expensive. Idk I don't really see the good in this suggestion in terms of the overall economy. All this will do is lower price of coli drops and levelled dragons since they will be more easy to get, which will in turn make grinding coli less profitable for those of us that actually put in the work. Idk not everything is meant to be easy and super accessible for new players. It's like, why not just give our gene/breed change scrolls for free instead of charging gems/treasure? Many players get stuck and frustrated with breeding projects due to cost, so why not make it easier for them by just eliminating that cost? Because this is a GAME. Many things have to cost (in time, energy, or currency) or else what is the point? Some things require effort and time and I don't think it's a flaw of FR that those who invest more time into the game (by grinding coli) are rewarded for that engagement. Now coli actually becoming more disability friendly I would support such as various options for visuals to help those with visual impairments or to reduce eyestrain. Maybe a way of altering the battle layout so there a less clicks needed per turn to reduce hand and wrist strain. But I do not support coli being AFK and think it would be a huge blow to the economy if that were to happen.
Gonna come in and say no support. All this would do is cause inflation if coli drops/grinding fodder was made easier. And for what? If there's something you need from the coli you can buy it on the AH if you can't coli. And what good is leveling up dragons if you can't coli? If you want a lvl X dragon for lore purpose you can train someone to level your dragon or purchase a dragon at that level.

I find it strange that they would be able to say go into a late stage venue like forbidden portal without having any moves (i guess other than the 2 basic moves all dragons have to start with) under this proposal. Like that doesn't feel right at all lore wise or just logically. Dragons with better stats and better moves should be able to get better/more loot cause they would be stronger and able to get through enemies quicker. Making moves redundant seems weird.
Quote:
Ability for busy OR low-treasure new players to more easily accrue loot and levels, without needing the time or treasure funds to build up a combat team and then grind out loot

I'm gonna be frank, building up a coli team is not an expensive barrier. You can (for FREE) rent trainers out to grind your own dragons up or you can buy fully built up lvl 25 dragons (elim included) on the AH for 300g (i waited to find a good deal and got a trainer at 250g). Considering how easy it is to get treasure/gems on flight rising that really is not very expensive.

Idk I don't really see the good in this suggestion in terms of the overall economy. All this will do is lower price of coli drops and levelled dragons since they will be more easy to get, which will in turn make grinding coli less profitable for those of us that actually put in the work.

Idk not everything is meant to be easy and super accessible for new players. It's like, why not just give our gene/breed change scrolls for free instead of charging gems/treasure? Many players get stuck and frustrated with breeding projects due to cost, so why not make it easier for them by just eliminating that cost? Because this is a GAME. Many things have to cost (in time, energy, or currency) or else what is the point? Some things require effort and time and I don't think it's a flaw of FR that those who invest more time into the game (by grinding coli) are rewarded for that engagement.

Now coli actually becoming more disability friendly I would support such as various options for visuals to help those with visual impairments or to reduce eyestrain. Maybe a way of altering the battle layout so there a less clicks needed per turn to reduce hand and wrist strain. But I do not support coli being AFK and think it would be a huge blow to the economy if that were to happen.
I was just thinking of something like this! I'd love to spend some time training a few teams I could send on passive adventures, even if it took several days per adventure. Or completely rework how coliseum works, because currently it's either grinding for hours or nothing.
I was just thinking of something like this! I'd love to spend some time training a few teams I could send on passive adventures, even if it took several days per adventure. Or completely rework how coliseum works, because currently it's either grinding for hours or nothing.
zbfZPyc.png

Coliseum drop rates are ridiculous and ingame economy is not worth forcing people to mindlessly grind
1 2