Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | anyone know a different language ?
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 18
I know a little bit of my native language, CHamoru. I have a lot of practice to go until I am fluent though. The language was banned for several decades so it isn't used much anymore, but I still hope to learn it and pass it on to whatever generation comes next.
I know a little bit of my native language, CHamoru. I have a lot of practice to go until I am fluent though. The language was banned for several decades so it isn't used much anymore, but I still hope to learn it and pass it on to whatever generation comes next.
I actually know English, Spanish, Latin, and a bit of Greek (modern). I mostly do because either 1. the area I have lived in or 2. I have a fascination with older languages. I am also trying learning ASL and Navajo. Basically I am a language freak lol
I actually know English, Spanish, Latin, and a bit of Greek (modern). I mostly do because either 1. the area I have lived in or 2. I have a fascination with older languages. I am also trying learning ASL and Navajo. Basically I am a language freak lol
BJmjb0y.pngT45QsK.png T4G0l9.png
I'm very inexperienced when it comes to other languages, I only speak and read English and Spanish, but I'm highly considering adding either Mandarin or Japanese to my list because I'm considering doing historical research there, but I'd also love to learn more about indigenous languages + ASL.

@Benplo

I did cursory research on CHamoru (because I had never heard of it, go figure as it's an indigenous language that was made illegal in the countries it was spoken), I think it's wonderful you're learning more about your native tongue. Do you know of any good resources pertaining to where I might be able to learn more about the language + people?
I'm very inexperienced when it comes to other languages, I only speak and read English and Spanish, but I'm highly considering adding either Mandarin or Japanese to my list because I'm considering doing historical research there, but I'd also love to learn more about indigenous languages + ASL.

@Benplo

I did cursory research on CHamoru (because I had never heard of it, go figure as it's an indigenous language that was made illegal in the countries it was spoken), I think it's wonderful you're learning more about your native tongue. Do you know of any good resources pertaining to where I might be able to learn more about the language + people?
UwUnl7O.png
mlHpBMC.pngmjtJ868.png 5vnsOgE.pngQ2if6VF.png
I can speak Mandarin Chinese, but writing and reading have gotten more difficult over the years as I am not a native and have not practiced in a loooooong time.
I can speak Mandarin Chinese, but writing and reading have gotten more difficult over the years as I am not a native and have not practiced in a loooooong time.
JBowF4o.png
BFTu7mZ.png
My first language is Finnish. :>
I've learned Japanese in school but it has been so long time now so I don't remember anything anymore. :DD
My first language is Finnish. :>
I've learned Japanese in school but it has been so long time now so I don't remember anything anymore. :DD
ICEWARDEN_sig.png
[center][img]http://i.imgur.com/SILLcxG.png[/img] [font=georgia] Oh! This is a fun question. 1. My native language is English, but I have a background in Hungarian. According to my mother, it was actually the first language I learned—but the advent of formal education in my childhood quickly put an end to [i]that[/i]. To this day I can understand the language fairly well, but struggle to speak it; my problem isn't the grammar but the vocabulary. I've always been worse with vocabulary, which is apparently inverse to most language learners (and I'd assume with Hungarian learners in particular, since the grammar is a veritable disaster). Guess I'm lucky that the rules were ingrained in me from a young age or I'd be absolutely [i]floundering[/i] now. 2. I used to know Armenian. I went to a private school from preschool to the third grade that taught the language, and when I switched to public education my parents started sending me to independent classes. Something interesting about Armenian is that it has two dialects: Eastern, which is spoken in the country itself, and Western, which is spoken by the Armenian diaspora. The aforementioned private school taught the Western dialect and the classes I took in the fourth and fifth grades taught the Eastern dialect. It was actually quite a linguistic shock because the Eastern dialect is a [i]lot[/i] more particular with some of its consonant phonetics. 3. I've been learning Spanish since high school. Spanish is SUCH such a refreshing change from English; I [i]adore[/i] it. I've never seen a point in throwing a fit over its gender system because it's really not that hard and the language itself is so delightfully consistent with its grammar and phonetics. Aside from the preterite's gorillion exceptions and the absolute [i]agony[/i] that is the subjunctive mood (now [i]there's[/i] an English-foreign concept that I struggle with), I LOVE Spanish and I'd love to visit a Spanish-speaking country to really get that immersion in. 10/10 awesome language shoutout to Spanish fr 4. I took Latin over the summer between my freshman and sophomore year of high school. I'd love to take Latin again because I think it's a very cool language, albeit ridiculously complicated. Truly the most lawful evil language of all time: ruthlessly structured, ruthlessly a royal pain in the a**.
SILLcxG.png

Oh! This is a fun question.

1. My native language is English, but I have a background in Hungarian. According to my mother, it was actually the first language I learned—but the advent of formal education in my childhood quickly put an end to that. To this day I can understand the language fairly well, but struggle to speak it; my problem isn't the grammar but the vocabulary. I've always been worse with vocabulary, which is apparently inverse to most language learners (and I'd assume with Hungarian learners in particular, since the grammar is a veritable disaster). Guess I'm lucky that the rules were ingrained in me from a young age or I'd be absolutely floundering now.

2. I used to know Armenian. I went to a private school from preschool to the third grade that taught the language, and when I switched to public education my parents started sending me to independent classes. Something interesting about Armenian is that it has two dialects: Eastern, which is spoken in the country itself, and Western, which is spoken by the Armenian diaspora. The aforementioned private school taught the Western dialect and the classes I took in the fourth and fifth grades taught the Eastern dialect. It was actually quite a linguistic shock because the Eastern dialect is a lot more particular with some of its consonant phonetics.

3. I've been learning Spanish since high school. Spanish is SUCH such a refreshing change from English; I adore it. I've never seen a point in throwing a fit over its gender system because it's really not that hard and the language itself is so delightfully consistent with its grammar and phonetics. Aside from the preterite's gorillion exceptions and the absolute agony that is the subjunctive mood (now there's an English-foreign concept that I struggle with), I LOVE Spanish and I'd love to visit a Spanish-speaking country to really get that immersion in. 10/10 awesome language shoutout to Spanish fr

4. I took Latin over the summer between my freshman and sophomore year of high school. I'd love to take Latin again because I think it's a very cool language, albeit ridiculously complicated. Truly the most lawful evil language of all time: ruthlessly structured, ruthlessly a royal pain in the a**.
left-hori.pngright-hori.png
Slovak is my native language. I do have a Hungarian background but I don´t speak Hungarian. I can only I understand a few words tho.
I also can speak/write/read in Czech since this language is VERY similar to Slovak.

And the last language I can write and read is English (Having a little trouble with speaking since my Slovak accent is very strong). I learned this in school but just basic stuff. Was kinda forced to learn the rest myself. Now I only read books/watch movies/play games in English. I keep practising like this every day, so I don´t forget :)
Slovak is my native language. I do have a Hungarian background but I don´t speak Hungarian. I can only I understand a few words tho.
I also can speak/write/read in Czech since this language is VERY similar to Slovak.

And the last language I can write and read is English (Having a little trouble with speaking since my Slovak accent is very strong). I learned this in school but just basic stuff. Was kinda forced to learn the rest myself. Now I only read books/watch movies/play games in English. I keep practising like this every day, so I don´t forget :)
I learned a fair bit of French thanks to my Canadian background (French classes are mandatory from 4th to 8th grade up here, at least in my province), and I was able to cross reference to learn some Spanish and Italian vocabulary thanks to that.

I also know the days of the week in Greek, but for a totally different reason.
I learned a fair bit of French thanks to my Canadian background (French classes are mandatory from 4th to 8th grade up here, at least in my province), and I was able to cross reference to learn some Spanish and Italian vocabulary thanks to that.

I also know the days of the week in Greek, but for a totally different reason.
0304941-D-23-B9-407-C-925-C-1-A4-DDF7-D58-B6.giflfh.png
I studied Spanish 7th grade-senior yr of HS. I can read it, my speaking however is kind of lacking lol. I don't have much confidence in the language, but I love it and it is one of my favorite languages. Other times in HS I studied German, Japanese, Mandarin and Portuguese on my own. Tho I can only kinda understand German, and can only sort of introduce myself in Japanese now. The others I've unfortunately forgotten how to say things </3 ...
I'd like to return to portuguese tho one day!!! And learn ASL

I still practice Spanish and German tho!!!
I studied Spanish 7th grade-senior yr of HS. I can read it, my speaking however is kind of lacking lol. I don't have much confidence in the language, but I love it and it is one of my favorite languages. Other times in HS I studied German, Japanese, Mandarin and Portuguese on my own. Tho I can only kinda understand German, and can only sort of introduce myself in Japanese now. The others I've unfortunately forgotten how to say things </3 ...
I'd like to return to portuguese tho one day!!! And learn ASL

I still practice Spanish and German tho!!!
I love linguistics and language-learning is a big hobby of mine.
I speak English and Kalaallisut natively.

I studied French and Japanese during my schooling, though Japanese is the only language I still have grasp in and use actively. Thank you to all of my FC buddies on FFXIV's JPN Datacenter. You keep me on my toes.

I'm conversational enough in Norwegian and am learning Icelandic currently!
I also am a fan of conlangs, I'm pretty decent at Dovahzul and I picked up Na'vi a long while back but fell off of it.

ASL and Hindi are on my list to tackle eventually!
I love linguistics and language-learning is a big hobby of mine.
I speak English and Kalaallisut natively.

I studied French and Japanese during my schooling, though Japanese is the only language I still have grasp in and use actively. Thank you to all of my FC buddies on FFXIV's JPN Datacenter. You keep me on my toes.

I'm conversational enough in Norwegian and am learning Icelandic currently!
I also am a fan of conlangs, I'm pretty decent at Dovahzul and I picked up Na'vi a long while back but fell off of it.

ASL and Hindi are on my list to tackle eventually!
_____ bcfrplague_gem_by_littlefiredragon-dbjxzc0.pngda
zLwbKxI.png
kE8PZoU.png
GdVZ87H.png
GW180jv.png

Grotesque-2-L.png

"Vyre"
JvUa9ma.png
Just an Unhinged, Wandering Vam-pirate.
wind_rune_20.pnglightning_rune_20.pngwater_rune_20.pngice_rune_20.pngfire_rune_20.pngplague_rune_20.png

Grotesque-2-R.png
bcfrplague_gem_by_littlefiredragon-dbjxzc0.pngda
lAvpyOQ.png
11efmKl.png
2nkYPWq.png
p3Lr8aR.png
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 18