Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Pinglists & More
1 2 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 73 74
I appreciate the feature and trying to give the playerbase more tools for this kind of pinging, but the 'we didn't add a deletion feature' thing seems very strange to me.

Surely a double confirmation is more than than adequate?

"Do you want to delete this pinglist?"
> Yes
"Are you sure? A deleted pinglist cannot be recovered."
> Yes

The player is given the information they need to decide whether or not they want to delete the pinglist rather than having ununused/test ones just...sitting on your account. This seems a very standard way of handling this from various websites/games etc I've played.
I appreciate the feature and trying to give the playerbase more tools for this kind of pinging, but the 'we didn't add a deletion feature' thing seems very strange to me.

Surely a double confirmation is more than than adequate?

"Do you want to delete this pinglist?"
> Yes
"Are you sure? A deleted pinglist cannot be recovered."
> Yes

The player is given the information they need to decide whether or not they want to delete the pinglist rather than having ununused/test ones just...sitting on your account. This seems a very standard way of handling this from various websites/games etc I've played.
raccoon.png
I'm really hoping they close this thread soon. @/Aequorin, if you are willing please lock the thread. People are no longer giving feedback but rather attacking each other at this point.
I'm really hoping they close this thread soon. @/Aequorin, if you are willing please lock the thread. People are no longer giving feedback but rather attacking each other at this point.
1RsBrUA.pngu0zgn1V.pngWFhlmNb.pngOVImhZU.pngBCSOpq7.png
[quote name="butcherbaby" date="2023-10-27 13:20:48" ] [quote name="BMO" date="2023-10-27 08:24:46" ] I don't think the pinglist is an oversight of the player's usage as-is; I just think that they're not done with it yet and they're being transparent along the way, like we asked them to, so that we could give feedback. The features we want, as we want them, will take time to develop. They've done great keeping us updated in the meantime.[/quote] The issue here is that if they had gotten player input BEFORE designing the new system, they would have known what players wanted & needed in a pinglist feature and been able to plan and design it with that in mind, even if the system they initially introduced was much more basic while they worked out all the kinks. As it is, they appear to be completely surprised by the fact that most people who rely on pin lists absolutely require a much more complex and customizable system that is currently in place, and I’m sure it does not feel good for the devs & other people behind the scenes to put in tons of work on a feature like this only to be met with a huge wave of negativity because they did not have a layer needs in mind while designing it, and I know it doesn’t feel good on this end to continually feel like major features are designed without consideration of how the game is actually played. Getting player feedback and a feel for how people actually play the game would have gone very far to eliminating the bad feelings on BOTH sides of this issue. [/quote] i will say that while the more i look at it, the less i agree with (but i do REALLY like the feature) - they DID say they were looking at suggestion forum and player feedback i think its more that they implement changes and features without letting [i]actual[/i] players beta test things - which leads to inconsistencies between what the devs [i]think[/i] we want and what we [i]actually[/i] want for example, a big one is arlo
butcherbaby wrote on 2023-10-27 13:20:48:
BMO wrote on 2023-10-27 08:24:46:
I don't think the pinglist is an oversight of the player's usage as-is; I just think that they're not done with it yet and they're being transparent along the way, like we asked them to, so that we could give feedback. The features we want, as we want them, will take time to develop. They've done great keeping us updated in the meantime.

The issue here is that if they had gotten player input BEFORE designing the new system, they would have known what players wanted & needed in a pinglist feature and been able to plan and design it with that in mind, even if the system they initially introduced was much more basic while they worked out all the kinks. As it is, they appear to be completely surprised by the fact that most people who rely on pin lists absolutely require a much more complex and customizable system that is currently in place, and I’m sure it does not feel good for the devs & other people behind the scenes to put in tons of work on a feature like this only to be met with a huge wave of negativity because they did not have a layer needs in mind while designing it, and I know it doesn’t feel good on this end to continually feel like major features are designed without consideration of how the game is actually played. Getting player feedback and a feel for how people actually play the game would have gone very far to eliminating the bad feelings on BOTH sides of this issue.

i will say that while the more i look at it, the less i agree with (but i do REALLY like the feature) - they DID say they were looking at suggestion forum and player feedback

i think its more that they implement changes and features without letting actual players beta test things - which leads to inconsistencies between what the devs think we want and what we actually want

for example, a big one is arlo
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether

I'm glad to see that there won't be a cap to the number of people that can be on a pinglist. However, without the ability to have public pinglists that anyone can use, large parts of the community will have to keep using spreadsheets.

Since the pinglist mechanic on the site is already opt-in, there isn't really a reason why public/shareable ones couldn't exist apart from the time it might take to code.

Apart from the numerous groups that rely on such pinglists, they're also necessary for things like flight food banks and dominance. Dominance alone often takes large amounts of people needing to be able to ping each other quickly - it's not reasonable to expect a single person to be able to be available 24/7 that would be required for using the various dom pinglists during a push. I'd suggest not disabling mass pings until some system is in place allowing people to make public pinglists that others can use.

I'm glad to see that there won't be a cap to the number of people that can be on a pinglist. However, without the ability to have public pinglists that anyone can use, large parts of the community will have to keep using spreadsheets.

Since the pinglist mechanic on the site is already opt-in, there isn't really a reason why public/shareable ones couldn't exist apart from the time it might take to code.

Apart from the numerous groups that rely on such pinglists, they're also necessary for things like flight food banks and dominance. Dominance alone often takes large amounts of people needing to be able to ping each other quickly - it's not reasonable to expect a single person to be able to be available 24/7 that would be required for using the various dom pinglists during a push. I'd suggest not disabling mass pings until some system is in place allowing people to make public pinglists that others can use.

@theNightmareKing no miscommunication. But the staff have made it clear that:
1. There is currently no set date on when the mass pings will be ceased; they'll make clear updates on when that does approach
2. There are already plans to sort out a 'replacement' or 'solution' to mimic mass pings on-site before cutting the old and unstable method out
3. The team are and have always been listening to the feedback. Heck, they even increased the limit creation of on-site Ping Lists from 50 to 300 per user; each of which have zero caps on how many can subscribe to a Ping List

@Butcherbaby above, the staff rolled out the Ping List feature because users have been requesting for/suggesting their creation for a long time now. The staff didn't just create this new system on a whim. It's been asked for by the community at large. They created the system using those very suggestions and feedback that you claim they should have listened to.
@theNightmareKing no miscommunication. But the staff have made it clear that:
1. There is currently no set date on when the mass pings will be ceased; they'll make clear updates on when that does approach
2. There are already plans to sort out a 'replacement' or 'solution' to mimic mass pings on-site before cutting the old and unstable method out
3. The team are and have always been listening to the feedback. Heck, they even increased the limit creation of on-site Ping Lists from 50 to 300 per user; each of which have zero caps on how many can subscribe to a Ping List

@Butcherbaby above, the staff rolled out the Ping List feature because users have been requesting for/suggesting their creation for a long time now. The staff didn't just create this new system on a whim. It's been asked for by the community at large. They created the system using those very suggestions and feedback that you claim they should have listened to.
FR +0 | Woman
Art | Thread
Sales
Tales of Ostlea Discussion
dVkftIl.png
x
x
x

Blancblack_egg.gif
hYhXXAs.png
x
x
x

tnRVw.png
ZFPkptJ.png
@ValidEmotions, @butcherbaby, @theNightmareKing, I'm going to need all three of you to take a step back now. Your discussion is becoming more about each other, groups of players, and the team, not the feature. It's also getting late on a Friday. We'd like to be able to keep this thread up and open. We'd also like for our community to focus on constructive feedback about the feature, preferably in the Suggestion Forum long-term, and not about how players are or are not reacting, assumptions of intent (player or [I]Flight Rising[/I] team), etc. I appreciate that this is all borne from a love of our game and we just need to make sure we stay constructive. Thank you. [emoji=new friend size=1]
@ValidEmotions, @butcherbaby, @theNightmareKing, I'm going to need all three of you to take a step back now. Your discussion is becoming more about each other, groups of players, and the team, not the feature. It's also getting late on a Friday. We'd like to be able to keep this thread up and open. We'd also like for our community to focus on constructive feedback about the feature, preferably in the Suggestion Forum long-term, and not about how players are or are not reacting, assumptions of intent (player or Flight Rising team), etc.

I appreciate that this is all borne from a love of our game and we just need to make sure we stay constructive. Thank you.
I think this is an interesting move to deal with how the playing field of the internet has changed so so much over the past decade. There’s so few routes what with how spread out resources and servers and sites have become versus the original landscape of forums and chat boxes being one of the only ways you could talk to people online. I do wonder how server load of ping lists will be versus the giant ping lists, since it seems common right now for a singular user to have massive amounts of lists! It’s been a bit exhausting to chase down all my notifications to make sure I’m on ping lists before the mass pings sunset, but I hope this will be beneficial in the long run once it’s cleared up. I’m crazy thankful I’m on vacation right now to catch everything!
I’m mostly watching with a lot of interest, however this thread has also become very aggressive and worrying to tap into recently. (EDIT: ironically as I was typing this was addressed, thank you!)
I think this is an interesting move to deal with how the playing field of the internet has changed so so much over the past decade. There’s so few routes what with how spread out resources and servers and sites have become versus the original landscape of forums and chat boxes being one of the only ways you could talk to people online. I do wonder how server load of ping lists will be versus the giant ping lists, since it seems common right now for a singular user to have massive amounts of lists! It’s been a bit exhausting to chase down all my notifications to make sure I’m on ping lists before the mass pings sunset, but I hope this will be beneficial in the long run once it’s cleared up. I’m crazy thankful I’m on vacation right now to catch everything!
I’m mostly watching with a lot of interest, however this thread has also become very aggressive and worrying to tap into recently. (EDIT: ironically as I was typing this was addressed, thank you!)
BlFBKpO.png
I don't have time to catch up on what everyone has said, so this may have already been discussed or resolved, but I'm pretty concerned about the ability to manually ping more than 12 people being removed while pinglists are only usable by the list creator.

If I'm understanding correctly, hatcheries/shops/etc with more than one mod would be forced to rely on one user to ping everyone, and more than that it would completely eliminate the functionality of popular groups like the nest network, where anyone in the network can ping all other participants in a particular flight to find a nest, and the General Accent and Skin Pinglist, where anyone selling skins can ping users who have signed up to see specific types of skin.

I do understand why some lists might benefit from privacy, i.e. only the list creator can see participants and send pings. But we really need the option for some lists to be set as public so anyone can ping them, otherwise huge aspects of how I and many others use the forums are going to be completely shut down. Could also allow private lists to have multiple owners or authorized users, but having the option to set some as public would still be necessary.

I'm sure adding to this new feature will take time, I just hope this will be addressed before the mass ping limit is put in place. On-site pinglists are a great idea and I really like a lot of what y'all have done with it, but in its current form it isn't actually a replacement for all the uses of mass pings.
I don't have time to catch up on what everyone has said, so this may have already been discussed or resolved, but I'm pretty concerned about the ability to manually ping more than 12 people being removed while pinglists are only usable by the list creator.

If I'm understanding correctly, hatcheries/shops/etc with more than one mod would be forced to rely on one user to ping everyone, and more than that it would completely eliminate the functionality of popular groups like the nest network, where anyone in the network can ping all other participants in a particular flight to find a nest, and the General Accent and Skin Pinglist, where anyone selling skins can ping users who have signed up to see specific types of skin.

I do understand why some lists might benefit from privacy, i.e. only the list creator can see participants and send pings. But we really need the option for some lists to be set as public so anyone can ping them, otherwise huge aspects of how I and many others use the forums are going to be completely shut down. Could also allow private lists to have multiple owners or authorized users, but having the option to set some as public would still be necessary.

I'm sure adding to this new feature will take time, I just hope this will be addressed before the mass ping limit is put in place. On-site pinglists are a great idea and I really like a lot of what y'all have done with it, but in its current form it isn't actually a replacement for all the uses of mass pings.
K9VvLCk.pngJmqzN7p.pngEd93VYs.pngpMZsqug.png84RxSjP.pngQzQhFeR.png
@theNightmareKing, @butcherbaby, your comments have been removed under forum moderation. I appreciate your acknowledgement but part of taking a step back is not leaving up comments that continue the line of discussion after the fact. Thank you.
@theNightmareKing, @butcherbaby, your comments have been removed under forum moderation. I appreciate your acknowledgement but part of taking a step back is not leaving up comments that continue the line of discussion after the fact. Thank you.
@Aequorin no offense meant, my ND brain interpreted your comment extremely literally as “do not make a new comment after reading this post” and assumed that a comment I had started writing before you posted would be fine >_< apologies and I appreciate the clarification.
@Aequorin no offense meant, my ND brain interpreted your comment extremely literally as “do not make a new comment after reading this post” and assumed that a comment I had started writing before you posted would be fine >_< apologies and I appreciate the clarification.
Dappervolk ID #27689
Rbf96Oh.gifCuK85yM.pngtRNevRC.gif
1 2 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 73 74