Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Venom in the Heart | Lore Story
Don't mind me, I'm just sliding in with another lore thread. This place, for now, will be focused on a single story that's centered around these three lovelies of mine: [columns][center]Aviva[/center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=38839351][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/388394/38839351.png[/img][/url][nextcol][center]Dyzith[/center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=23031061][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/230311/23031061.png[/img][/url][nextcol][center]Thornaath[/center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=42565273][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/425653/42565273.png[/img][/url][/columns] In regards to a timeline, this piece will be taking place not too long after my Nuzlocke, [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2451658#post_2451658]Consequences and Regret[/url], which isn't completed as of yet. (I need to continue working on it but my creativity/motivation has been finicky so I'm simply following where it deems fit to lead me.) Since the Nuzlocke isn't finished yet, I plan on keeping mentions of the clan rather vague. If I'm inclined to do so, I may make edits to this story in the future once the Nuzlocke has reached its end to better reflect it. If you want to be pinged for updates, just let me know. Or else you can subscribe to the thread, I suppose. Conversation about the story is fully encouraged. If you are interested in crossovers or cameos, please feel welcomed to message me about possible opportunities. [b]Content Warning[/b] As there is bound to be some physical conflict, an obligatory warning about mild gore is in order. [b]Ping List[/b] [b]Entry List[/b] [list=1] [*] [Nightmares] [*] [Power] [*] [Beginnings] [*] [Charge] [*] [Wastelands] [*] [Trust] [*] [Sickness] [*] [Fallen] [*] [Title] [*] [Title] [/list]
Don't mind me, I'm just sliding in with another lore thread. This place, for now, will be focused on a single story that's centered around these three lovelies of mine:
Aviva
38839351.png
Dyzith
23031061.png
Thornaath
42565273.png

In regards to a timeline, this piece will be taking place not too long after my Nuzlocke, Consequences and Regret, which isn't completed as of yet. (I need to continue working on it but my creativity/motivation has been finicky so I'm simply following where it deems fit to lead me.) Since the Nuzlocke isn't finished yet, I plan on keeping mentions of the clan rather vague. If I'm inclined to do so, I may make edits to this story in the future once the Nuzlocke has reached its end to better reflect it.

If you want to be pinged for updates, just let me know. Or else you can subscribe to the thread, I suppose. Conversation about the story is fully encouraged. If you are interested in crossovers or cameos, please feel welcomed to message me about possible opportunities.

Content Warning
As there is bound to be some physical conflict, an obligatory warning about mild gore is in order.

Ping List

Entry List
  1. [Nightmares]
  2. [Power]
  3. [Beginnings]
  4. [Charge]
  5. [Wastelands]
  6. [Trust]
  7. [Sickness]
  8. [Fallen]
  9. [Title]
  10. [Title]
FR +0 | Woman
Art | Thread
Sales
Tales of Ostlea Discussion
dVkftIl.png
x
x
x

Blancblack_egg.gif
hYhXXAs.png
x
x
x

tnRVw.png
ZFPkptJ.png
Entry One: Nightmares

"Another nightmare, Aviva?"

She looked towards the Mirror, catching her red gaze just as her own eyes ceased glowing. "Dyzith..." Aviva started, a hint of relief coloring the edges of her unsteadied voice. "Yes but I - I can't remember more than fear and pain. I think someone was dying," she confided. The dark-scaled Plague dragon strode closer, lowering her head until it rested against Aviva's own. The Wind Mirror wasn't truly bothered by Dyzith's close proximity, often times taking comfort and a bit of pleasure from it.

A hum vibrated in Dyzith's throat. "Are you afraid of remembering what you've forgotten?" She knew her too well and Aviva smiled ruefully in response. "That's alright. It's okay to be afraid," she cooed softly. Gently, Dyzith nudged the side of Aviva's neck with her cheek. "Come. I'll brew some tea; that'll help soothe your nerves."

Cold swept in where warmth had flooded into Aviva's scales the very moment Dyzith moved away. Sighing quietly, more out of exhaustion than any other cause, she rose to her clawed feet and followed the other dragon. The sun would night rise for another few hours, if she judged the stars and moon correctly. Carefully, she picked her away across the grassy ground to avoid disturbing fellow clanmates that still slumbered. In the dark, she could make out the shadowed shapes of curled up dragons, incubating eggs, and clusters of flowers that swayed in the gentle breeze.

Dyzith was already gone from sight but Aviva knew where to find her companion again. Leaving the dens and nests behind, she continued through their little portion of the Everbloom Gardens that they called home, coming to the edge of a small stream where Dyzith was gathering water.

The flashing of snapping teeth filled her vision and Aviva stilled. A faint cry, echoing and alone, pierced her thoughts and she sucked in a breath. Remnants of the nightmare. They always came in pieces, never in order (as far as she could make sense of) and always missing fragments. Try as she might, afraid or not, she could never remember the full dream. Sometimes... Sometimes there were dragons, strange faces, that she couldn't fully visualize. Dyzith assured her that memories almost always returned with time.

"What if they never return?"

"Hm?" Dyzith looked over her shoulder at Aviva. "Oh. If your memories don't return... well... Then they just don't," she replied. A sad smile twitched across her face. "If that happens, it can't be helped. I wouldn't worry too much about that possibility, however."

"Why?" Aviva wondered, curling her tail around her hind leg as she sat down. Dyzith was several years older than she and, for the most part, she regarded her friend as like a mother or older sister. A couple dragons within the clan liked to tease and insinuate something more on occasion.

Setting the pot down, a clay-made thing with fading paint, the Plague dragon hummed softly. "I think you'll get yours back soon enough. If you weren't going to, I don't believe you would be having so many dreams lately. They're getting more intense, aren't they?"

As Aviva thought over the question, she watched Dyzith hold the teapot up above her head and blow a small cone of fire against the base. In no more than a minute, the fire ceased and the female reached into the herb pouch against her hip. From it, she removed a sturdy surface for the pot to rest on and a teabag to steep. Finally, Aviva responded. "I suppose they have. Definitely more frequently. It feels like they come every night, sometimes multiple times in an evening. I'm... tired," she admitted.

Dyzith nodded, another hum vibrating in her throat. "Everyone knows that, Aviva. You never could hide things; your face is too expressive for that. It's easy to tell when you've had little sleep," she expressed, worry thinning her voice. "Tell me what you recall. Has anything more come back to you?"

She had to think about that, focusing on the wisps that remained from the nightmare. Squeezing her eyes shut, she bowed her head in concentration. "Teeth... A scream... Fear and pain," Aviva whispered. "An attack, I think, and death. Someone... Someone was lost, a dear one."

"Perhaps," Dyzith started slowly, pouring tea into a handle-less cup that had been hiding in her pouch. "Perhaps you lost a loved one? I've found that seems to be a common experience shared between dragons with questionable histories, such as yourself."

Jerking at the possibility, Aviva sharply drew her gaze up to the other Mirror. "I-" Cutting off her words, she shook her head and reached to take the offered cup of tea. Did she lose someone? It could be possible. Inexplicably, her throat tightened slightly as she stared at her drink. "I think I did..." she finally breathed, throwing back the tea with a quick motion a moment after. The hot liquid scorched her throat but the real and present pain distracted her from the phantoms that loomed in her thoughts, unidentified.

Blinking back the discomfort, she met Dyzith's gaze and paused. She never knew when her eyes began to glow but she could always trust Dyzith to give it away. As infrequently as it occurred, it was still a strange expression to see on the other dragon. Aviva couldn't exactly identified what it was about the expression that vaguely unnerved her, no matter how hard she tried to put her claw on it. What she could pick out, however, fell along the lines of... waiting, perhaps eagerness or anticipation.

As quick as the expression was to settle onto Dyzith's face, it was likewise quick in disappearing entirely. "Have another cup of tea and let's get back to sleep. This time, however, drink it; don't chug it," Dyzith admonished, the tone ruined by the roll of her eyes and crooked grin on her face.

Aviva chuckled, happy for the small distraction and return to normalcy.
Entry One: Nightmares

"Another nightmare, Aviva?"

She looked towards the Mirror, catching her red gaze just as her own eyes ceased glowing. "Dyzith..." Aviva started, a hint of relief coloring the edges of her unsteadied voice. "Yes but I - I can't remember more than fear and pain. I think someone was dying," she confided. The dark-scaled Plague dragon strode closer, lowering her head until it rested against Aviva's own. The Wind Mirror wasn't truly bothered by Dyzith's close proximity, often times taking comfort and a bit of pleasure from it.

A hum vibrated in Dyzith's throat. "Are you afraid of remembering what you've forgotten?" She knew her too well and Aviva smiled ruefully in response. "That's alright. It's okay to be afraid," she cooed softly. Gently, Dyzith nudged the side of Aviva's neck with her cheek. "Come. I'll brew some tea; that'll help soothe your nerves."

Cold swept in where warmth had flooded into Aviva's scales the very moment Dyzith moved away. Sighing quietly, more out of exhaustion than any other cause, she rose to her clawed feet and followed the other dragon. The sun would night rise for another few hours, if she judged the stars and moon correctly. Carefully, she picked her away across the grassy ground to avoid disturbing fellow clanmates that still slumbered. In the dark, she could make out the shadowed shapes of curled up dragons, incubating eggs, and clusters of flowers that swayed in the gentle breeze.

Dyzith was already gone from sight but Aviva knew where to find her companion again. Leaving the dens and nests behind, she continued through their little portion of the Everbloom Gardens that they called home, coming to the edge of a small stream where Dyzith was gathering water.

The flashing of snapping teeth filled her vision and Aviva stilled. A faint cry, echoing and alone, pierced her thoughts and she sucked in a breath. Remnants of the nightmare. They always came in pieces, never in order (as far as she could make sense of) and always missing fragments. Try as she might, afraid or not, she could never remember the full dream. Sometimes... Sometimes there were dragons, strange faces, that she couldn't fully visualize. Dyzith assured her that memories almost always returned with time.

"What if they never return?"

"Hm?" Dyzith looked over her shoulder at Aviva. "Oh. If your memories don't return... well... Then they just don't," she replied. A sad smile twitched across her face. "If that happens, it can't be helped. I wouldn't worry too much about that possibility, however."

"Why?" Aviva wondered, curling her tail around her hind leg as she sat down. Dyzith was several years older than she and, for the most part, she regarded her friend as like a mother or older sister. A couple dragons within the clan liked to tease and insinuate something more on occasion.

Setting the pot down, a clay-made thing with fading paint, the Plague dragon hummed softly. "I think you'll get yours back soon enough. If you weren't going to, I don't believe you would be having so many dreams lately. They're getting more intense, aren't they?"

As Aviva thought over the question, she watched Dyzith hold the teapot up above her head and blow a small cone of fire against the base. In no more than a minute, the fire ceased and the female reached into the herb pouch against her hip. From it, she removed a sturdy surface for the pot to rest on and a teabag to steep. Finally, Aviva responded. "I suppose they have. Definitely more frequently. It feels like they come every night, sometimes multiple times in an evening. I'm... tired," she admitted.

Dyzith nodded, another hum vibrating in her throat. "Everyone knows that, Aviva. You never could hide things; your face is too expressive for that. It's easy to tell when you've had little sleep," she expressed, worry thinning her voice. "Tell me what you recall. Has anything more come back to you?"

She had to think about that, focusing on the wisps that remained from the nightmare. Squeezing her eyes shut, she bowed her head in concentration. "Teeth... A scream... Fear and pain," Aviva whispered. "An attack, I think, and death. Someone... Someone was lost, a dear one."

"Perhaps," Dyzith started slowly, pouring tea into a handle-less cup that had been hiding in her pouch. "Perhaps you lost a loved one? I've found that seems to be a common experience shared between dragons with questionable histories, such as yourself."

Jerking at the possibility, Aviva sharply drew her gaze up to the other Mirror. "I-" Cutting off her words, she shook her head and reached to take the offered cup of tea. Did she lose someone? It could be possible. Inexplicably, her throat tightened slightly as she stared at her drink. "I think I did..." she finally breathed, throwing back the tea with a quick motion a moment after. The hot liquid scorched her throat but the real and present pain distracted her from the phantoms that loomed in her thoughts, unidentified.

Blinking back the discomfort, she met Dyzith's gaze and paused. She never knew when her eyes began to glow but she could always trust Dyzith to give it away. As infrequently as it occurred, it was still a strange expression to see on the other dragon. Aviva couldn't exactly identified what it was about the expression that vaguely unnerved her, no matter how hard she tried to put her claw on it. What she could pick out, however, fell along the lines of... waiting, perhaps eagerness or anticipation.

As quick as the expression was to settle onto Dyzith's face, it was likewise quick in disappearing entirely. "Have another cup of tea and let's get back to sleep. This time, however, drink it; don't chug it," Dyzith admonished, the tone ruined by the roll of her eyes and crooked grin on her face.

Aviva chuckled, happy for the small distraction and return to normalcy.
FR +0 | Woman
Art | Thread
Sales
dVkftIl.png
x
x
x

Blancblack_egg.gif
hYhXXAs.png
x
x
x

tnRVw.png
ZFPkptJ.png
Entry Two: Power

Voices filled her head as she stared out into darkness, nausea threatening to overwhelm her as her senses failed to identify which way was up or down. Whispers carried an ancient language she couldn't translate but one word seemed to repeat over and over. Maybe it was a name or a key phrase, she didn't know.

Aviva?

At first, she wasn't certain if she'd heard it. When her name was repeated, she tried to locate its source. A third time and she opened her eyes.

What met her was chilling. For a heartbeat, Aviva thought she was still dreaming, having another nightmare. Several inches away from her nose and clawed hands, something was taking shape in the dark grass. It was akin to watching the rotting process in reverse and sped up tenfold. The soil bubbled and morphed, solidifying into bones before the scent of blood drifted into her nostrils.

"Aviva..." Dyzith whispered, dragging her attention away from the gruesome formation. Wide-eyed, she stared at the older Mirror, waiting for her to say something. "You can get up, if you want to. I don't think it'll harm you." There was something strange in Dyzith's voice that Aviva couldn't identify but it left the Plague dragon's tone almost strained.

Rising slowly, Aviva stole another look at the... thing that was growing in front of her. It had a heat signature now, blazing with warmth from the energy involved in the magic that created it. Raw flesh covered the form, some portions of muscle or innards still exposed to the outside world before they, too, became protected by reptilian scales. What remained at the conclusion was a perfectly whole snake.

"Dyzith, what is this?" Aviva breathed, the words struggling to claw out of her throat. Just an ordinary snake, that had somehow been created. The strange magic terrified her, more than she could reasonably justify. The reptile studied her, forked tongue flickering as it seemed to regard her.

There was an odd sensation in her gut and an itch crawled down between her wings. Dyzith bumped her shoulder with her head. "It's a snake but, beyond that, I'm not entirely certain. I have... some theories, however." The older Mirror glanced around then, pausing to look at -

"She's waking."

Aviva startled at the quiet voice, turning to face Zephyr as the Fae perched at the peak of a boulder. "Who?" Aviva questioned. Her chest suddenly felt heavy, body shivering from a chill that wasn't caused by the breeze.

Zephyr smiled into the night, her odd-colored eyes reflecting starlight. After a moment of silence, the Fae brought her gaze to Dyzith, the smile fading into something... sinister wasn't the right word but it seemed the closest that Aviva had. "I know you. I see you."

Abruptly, she leapt off the boulder, wings beating to carry her back towards Joria. In the dark, Aviva could just make out the male Spiral's coiled shape in the near distance. "W-What was that about?" she gasped out.

Dyzith was didn't respond immediately and Aviva began to worry when she took too long to answer. But, finally, "I'm not sure. But, Zephyr's always been a strange one. Joria's even confirmed her behavior's been odd since the day she hatched." The Mirror shook her head, tilting it towards Aviva in the next moment and giving a crooked grin. "Now, come. I have some theories about -" Throwing a sharp look at the snake that still stared at Aviva (it was really unnerving...), the female snorted once. The expression finished the rest of her sentence and, despite her nerves, Aviva gave a shaky laugh at the implied vulgarity.

"Alright. Where are you taking me?"

"Away from home."

Aviva blinked rapidly, stupefied. "What?"

"There's a place in the Scarred Wastelands that I know of. It holds a vast amount of knowledge and, I'm hoping, there might be a dragon who'll have some answers to both your lost memories and this thing that occurred tonight," Dyzith explained. "Once there, we'll figure out the next step."

"But... But..." Aviva fell silent, not knowing what she should say. She never visited the Plague region before and the thought made her anxious. However, getting answers - and sorting out her memories - made the most sense. Especially if that snake was going to continue staring at her until something else happened. Swallowing, she looked away from the animal, meeting Dyzith's red gaze. Inhaling deeply, she nodded firmly.
Entry Two: Power

Voices filled her head as she stared out into darkness, nausea threatening to overwhelm her as her senses failed to identify which way was up or down. Whispers carried an ancient language she couldn't translate but one word seemed to repeat over and over. Maybe it was a name or a key phrase, she didn't know.

Aviva?

At first, she wasn't certain if she'd heard it. When her name was repeated, she tried to locate its source. A third time and she opened her eyes.

What met her was chilling. For a heartbeat, Aviva thought she was still dreaming, having another nightmare. Several inches away from her nose and clawed hands, something was taking shape in the dark grass. It was akin to watching the rotting process in reverse and sped up tenfold. The soil bubbled and morphed, solidifying into bones before the scent of blood drifted into her nostrils.

"Aviva..." Dyzith whispered, dragging her attention away from the gruesome formation. Wide-eyed, she stared at the older Mirror, waiting for her to say something. "You can get up, if you want to. I don't think it'll harm you." There was something strange in Dyzith's voice that Aviva couldn't identify but it left the Plague dragon's tone almost strained.

Rising slowly, Aviva stole another look at the... thing that was growing in front of her. It had a heat signature now, blazing with warmth from the energy involved in the magic that created it. Raw flesh covered the form, some portions of muscle or innards still exposed to the outside world before they, too, became protected by reptilian scales. What remained at the conclusion was a perfectly whole snake.

"Dyzith, what is this?" Aviva breathed, the words struggling to claw out of her throat. Just an ordinary snake, that had somehow been created. The strange magic terrified her, more than she could reasonably justify. The reptile studied her, forked tongue flickering as it seemed to regard her.

There was an odd sensation in her gut and an itch crawled down between her wings. Dyzith bumped her shoulder with her head. "It's a snake but, beyond that, I'm not entirely certain. I have... some theories, however." The older Mirror glanced around then, pausing to look at -

"She's waking."

Aviva startled at the quiet voice, turning to face Zephyr as the Fae perched at the peak of a boulder. "Who?" Aviva questioned. Her chest suddenly felt heavy, body shivering from a chill that wasn't caused by the breeze.

Zephyr smiled into the night, her odd-colored eyes reflecting starlight. After a moment of silence, the Fae brought her gaze to Dyzith, the smile fading into something... sinister wasn't the right word but it seemed the closest that Aviva had. "I know you. I see you."

Abruptly, she leapt off the boulder, wings beating to carry her back towards Joria. In the dark, Aviva could just make out the male Spiral's coiled shape in the near distance. "W-What was that about?" she gasped out.

Dyzith was didn't respond immediately and Aviva began to worry when she took too long to answer. But, finally, "I'm not sure. But, Zephyr's always been a strange one. Joria's even confirmed her behavior's been odd since the day she hatched." The Mirror shook her head, tilting it towards Aviva in the next moment and giving a crooked grin. "Now, come. I have some theories about -" Throwing a sharp look at the snake that still stared at Aviva (it was really unnerving...), the female snorted once. The expression finished the rest of her sentence and, despite her nerves, Aviva gave a shaky laugh at the implied vulgarity.

"Alright. Where are you taking me?"

"Away from home."

Aviva blinked rapidly, stupefied. "What?"

"There's a place in the Scarred Wastelands that I know of. It holds a vast amount of knowledge and, I'm hoping, there might be a dragon who'll have some answers to both your lost memories and this thing that occurred tonight," Dyzith explained. "Once there, we'll figure out the next step."

"But... But..." Aviva fell silent, not knowing what she should say. She never visited the Plague region before and the thought made her anxious. However, getting answers - and sorting out her memories - made the most sense. Especially if that snake was going to continue staring at her until something else happened. Swallowing, she looked away from the animal, meeting Dyzith's red gaze. Inhaling deeply, she nodded firmly.
FR +0 | Woman
Art | Thread
Sales
dVkftIl.png
x
x
x

Blancblack_egg.gif
hYhXXAs.png
x
x
x

tnRVw.png
ZFPkptJ.png
Entry Three: Beginnings

If she focused on it long enough, Aviva swore she could feel the snake's heartbeat. Until she couldn't anymore. She'd only been gone long enough to gather a satchel with some basic necessities for travel: coin pouch, dehydrated preservatives, first aid supplies, and a journal to write everything down in. Joria had written down his experiences in finding a new clan and home. She figured she could do something similar.

When she returned, Dyzith had her pouch, her usual cloak and armaments... and the snake was dead. Unprepared for it, Aviva hesitated as she stared at the unmoving reptile. Beneath it, she finally noticed a dragon scale - one of her scales - pinned by the lifeless body. The scale looked scorched in the dark, as if an intense fire had burned away the surface. Or maybe it was the magic that had brought the snake to life in the first place.

"Ready?" Dyzith's voice interrupted her thoughts and she shook herself free, focusing on the other Mirror. Aviva was only a little bigger than Dyzith.

Nodding, she followed Dyzith as the Plague dragon started moving. "Shouldn't we tell someone where we're going?" Aviva wondered, worry tinting her voice.

"I already told Joria. He knows how to contact us. When we get to the Scarred Wastelands, I'll send a letter to update him about our status," Dyzith assured, glancing back and smiling.

Satisfied with the answer, she fell silent and fell into a comfortable pace that placed her just beside Dyzith. For a long while, neither of them spoke, their wings making the only sound as they flew over the narrow canal that separated the Viridian Labyrinth from the rest of Sornieth. "We'll pass through the Tangled Wood," her friend stated, maintaining a southwestern heading.

At the edge of the shadowy territory, they landed and Aviva paused to catch a glimpse of the rising sun. The streams of rosy-hued and orange light were too weak to penetrate the gloom of the strange region, its warmth denied to her. Looking towards Dyzith, she sprinted forward to catch up to the black-scaled Mirror. "Tell me about where we're going, Dyzith," Aviva entreated, slowing once she was at her shoulder.

Dyzith hummed quietly. "Have you ever seen a library, dear?" Aviva shook her head, though she knew what one was. "Well, it's somewhat similar. It's a small little hub where scholars frequently passthrough, because they are attracted to this place of study. Tomes of all sorts, collected from all the regions of Sornieth, were collected - and still are! - here to provide a vast wealth of knowledge. The trick is, of course, being strong enough to survive the journey..." Dyzith's voice roughened as it dropped into silence. Aviva recognized it as a tone of warning.

Idly shifting her wings so that the fabric of clothing fell into the right place, Aviva inhaled deeply. "Alright. Is there someone who maintain's this library?"

The other dragon nodded. "Yes. A grump of an Imperial with an unknown lifespan. Rumors suggest he uses dark magic to extend his life beyond natural lengths. I think it's all just ego and self-importance!" Dyzith snorted, humor lightly coloring her words.

Aviva smiled, the flicker of unease fading away in the wake of Dyzith's relaxed presence. "We'll make a few stops along the way; rest, food, yatta yatta," Dyzith continued, waving a clawed hand to punctuate her words. "I know some welcoming travel hubs where we shouldn't encounter too much trouble. Though, given the... welcoming atmosphere of the Tangled Wood, you never really know who you're going to encounter. So keep a close watch on your belongings and surroundings," she cautioned.

Glancing at Dyzith from the corner of her eye, Aviva frowned. "You think we'll come across pickpockets and con artists?" The older Mirror smirked before lifting her wings in the gesture of a shrug as she looked from left to right. "Right... Okay then," Aviva snickered.
Entry Three: Beginnings

If she focused on it long enough, Aviva swore she could feel the snake's heartbeat. Until she couldn't anymore. She'd only been gone long enough to gather a satchel with some basic necessities for travel: coin pouch, dehydrated preservatives, first aid supplies, and a journal to write everything down in. Joria had written down his experiences in finding a new clan and home. She figured she could do something similar.

When she returned, Dyzith had her pouch, her usual cloak and armaments... and the snake was dead. Unprepared for it, Aviva hesitated as she stared at the unmoving reptile. Beneath it, she finally noticed a dragon scale - one of her scales - pinned by the lifeless body. The scale looked scorched in the dark, as if an intense fire had burned away the surface. Or maybe it was the magic that had brought the snake to life in the first place.

"Ready?" Dyzith's voice interrupted her thoughts and she shook herself free, focusing on the other Mirror. Aviva was only a little bigger than Dyzith.

Nodding, she followed Dyzith as the Plague dragon started moving. "Shouldn't we tell someone where we're going?" Aviva wondered, worry tinting her voice.

"I already told Joria. He knows how to contact us. When we get to the Scarred Wastelands, I'll send a letter to update him about our status," Dyzith assured, glancing back and smiling.

Satisfied with the answer, she fell silent and fell into a comfortable pace that placed her just beside Dyzith. For a long while, neither of them spoke, their wings making the only sound as they flew over the narrow canal that separated the Viridian Labyrinth from the rest of Sornieth. "We'll pass through the Tangled Wood," her friend stated, maintaining a southwestern heading.

At the edge of the shadowy territory, they landed and Aviva paused to catch a glimpse of the rising sun. The streams of rosy-hued and orange light were too weak to penetrate the gloom of the strange region, its warmth denied to her. Looking towards Dyzith, she sprinted forward to catch up to the black-scaled Mirror. "Tell me about where we're going, Dyzith," Aviva entreated, slowing once she was at her shoulder.

Dyzith hummed quietly. "Have you ever seen a library, dear?" Aviva shook her head, though she knew what one was. "Well, it's somewhat similar. It's a small little hub where scholars frequently passthrough, because they are attracted to this place of study. Tomes of all sorts, collected from all the regions of Sornieth, were collected - and still are! - here to provide a vast wealth of knowledge. The trick is, of course, being strong enough to survive the journey..." Dyzith's voice roughened as it dropped into silence. Aviva recognized it as a tone of warning.

Idly shifting her wings so that the fabric of clothing fell into the right place, Aviva inhaled deeply. "Alright. Is there someone who maintain's this library?"

The other dragon nodded. "Yes. A grump of an Imperial with an unknown lifespan. Rumors suggest he uses dark magic to extend his life beyond natural lengths. I think it's all just ego and self-importance!" Dyzith snorted, humor lightly coloring her words.

Aviva smiled, the flicker of unease fading away in the wake of Dyzith's relaxed presence. "We'll make a few stops along the way; rest, food, yatta yatta," Dyzith continued, waving a clawed hand to punctuate her words. "I know some welcoming travel hubs where we shouldn't encounter too much trouble. Though, given the... welcoming atmosphere of the Tangled Wood, you never really know who you're going to encounter. So keep a close watch on your belongings and surroundings," she cautioned.

Glancing at Dyzith from the corner of her eye, Aviva frowned. "You think we'll come across pickpockets and con artists?" The older Mirror smirked before lifting her wings in the gesture of a shrug as she looked from left to right. "Right... Okay then," Aviva snickered.
FR +0 | Woman
Art | Thread
Sales
dVkftIl.png
x
x
x

Blancblack_egg.gif
hYhXXAs.png
x
x
x

tnRVw.png
ZFPkptJ.png
Entry Four: Charge

The travel hub they stopped at was nestled within the forest, protected by shorts walls of rotted wood and crumbling leaf litter. Either the hub didn't see many stray beasts or they had a competent-enough guard to keep things safe. That, or they just expected everyone to know how to fend for themselves. "Dragons call this place the Lean-To, a 'second-hand' travel hub. Ownership of the place has been passed down through the claws of various dragons, usually with coin," Dyzith filled in, probably noticing Aviva's curious gaze.

The Mirror removed the woodmask that concealed her face, glancing at Dyzith. "'Usually'?" she questioned, pondering the word choice. "You don't mean-"

"Oh yes, I do," Dyzith answered, anticipating the remark. "Some dealings here aren't always... morally acceptable." The obsidian Mirror shrugged with her wings, body relaxed. She didn't seem to be bothered by the notion of dubious dealings. Aviva wondered if she might have been raised by Shadow dragons at some point or other. Dyzith didn't really speak about her past much, only if some bit seemed important to the situation. Her companion started forward, passing through a wide opening within the protective wall. Aviva noted the lack of a gate or other barrier, suggesting the entrance was open at all hours of the day.

It wasn't a large hub, consisting of only a few key areas: a couple shops, an inn of sorts, and not much else. The structures were mostly dug into the ground, disappearing under the surface and leaving Aviva to wonder how deep the digging went. Despite the scant number of places to visit, there were plenty of dragons, several of whom were already moving about. "Is it usually this busy?"

Dyzith nodded once. "It's the only hub that can be reached outside the deeper parts of the Tangled Wood. If you aren't Shadow-born, then you'll find traveling further into the territory to be quite the challenge."

Of course. Aviva remembered that. It was often the case for many of the regions within Sornieth, with the respective elements in their own territories. Though she couldn't remember the Windswept Plateau, she wouldn't be surprised if she could spend an entire day within the air despite being comfortable on the ground. "Why are we here anyways?" Aviva wondered.

"So we can seek out the fastest route to the Scarred Wastelands, as well as to gather any important news. It's always smart to know current weather patterns, lurking dangers, all of that. Joria wasn't experienced with traveling so I handled all of that information for him."

When they had all been searching for a place to settle. Aviva hadn't thought about it before now, but it made sense. Still, it hadn't avoided every encounter with trouble.... She frowned. "Alright then. How do you know who's most likely to have this information?" she pushed. Might as well get Dyzith to teach her a thing or three.

Sidestepping to avoid collision with a Nocturne, the older Mirror paused and glanced around. "Typically... They're supposed to have an emblem. There's a sort of pact, you see, that the travel hubs throughout Sornieth were supposed to agree upon. This pact included regulations for identification. Now, for the most part, these dragons follow it to the letter. Occasionally, you'll get a bad egg or two trying to spoil the whole nest. Ah, there." She bounded forward and Aviva followed.

The dragon Dyzith spotted was a beige-scaled Bogsneak, her crest rising and falling with her words as she spoke to a blue-black Guardian. Clad in an array of colorful fabrics (bright scarves, cloaks, head coverings), Aviva almost couldn't separate dragon from clothing. The Guardian was less flamboyantly clothed, wearing dark reds and neutral browns. Funnily, she noted the rose emblems that mirrored hers - except her apparel held shades of green. Platting covered the front edges of his wings and she wondered if he'd seen battle before.

"You see the broach on the Bogsneak's scarf?" Dyzith's voice distracted Aviva from her observations, pulling her lingering gaze away from the Guardian. Focusing again on the Bogsneak, Aviva saw it this time: a round piece of silver jewelry that had a trio of arrows diagonally crossing a compass rose etched into its surface. Aviva nodded.

They waited until the Guardian was done speaking to the Bogsneak. When he turned away from the female, the first thing Aviva noticed was that he had the dark blue eyes of a Water-born. The second thing she noticed was that he was staring at Dyzith a bit too long. "Um..." Aviva started, instinctively brushing past Dyzith in an attempt to get the Guardian's attention. Something about his expression unnerved her.

Successful, she watched his focus shift from the older Mirror onto her. Beside her, she could feel Dyzith's stiffness. "I guess you've never encountered a Guardian on the Search before, have you dear?" Dyzith spoke up suddenly, abruptly breaking the silence between them before it carried on too long. "It's alright, Aviva."

"Dyzith?" she questioned, turning to look at the other female.

"Have you found your Charge, Guardian?" Dyzith ignored her, addressing the stranger instead. "Your kind always gets a certain look to them when they've finally accomplished their Search. I've seen a few cases, so I can hazard a guess. Hm?"

Was he frowning? Faint light reflected off the Filigree markings upon his face and neck as he stared down at them. Finally, to Aviva's relief, he replied. "Yes. You are?" His voice was deep and rumbled quietly.

"Dyzith. And this is my clanmate, Aviva. We're traveling to the Scarred Wastelands," Dyzith introduced. There was something in her red gaze that Aviva didn't recognize. As far as she could remember, she'd never seen it before.

The Guardian was silent for a few moments more, glancing back at the Bogsneak who watched them with a narrowed, impatient, gaze. Her claws drummed against the crooked wooden stand. "Thornaath. You won't get information about the Plague-borns' home from this one."

The Bogsneak hissed, her crest rising as she bristled. "Oi! Who do-" Thornaath cut her off with the lift of his wings, blocking her from view. His blue eyes fell upon Aviva and she stilled, her heart skipping a beat.

"So, care to inform us about your Charge, Thornaath?" His name rolled off Dyzith's tongue but Aviva noticed that she was the target of her gaze.

Lowering his head to be level with Dyzith's, he took his time studying first her, and then Aviva. Once done, he looked at Dyzith again. "You. Not one of your belongings. I am certain."

"How long?" The Mirror questioned. For whatever reason, Aviva believed that Dyzith was unsurprised, maybe even expecting this realization.

"Too many years," Thornaath replied. Lifting his head, he motioned with a clawed hand. "Shall we go, then?"

A grin spread across Dyzith's face. "Follow me."
Entry Four: Charge

The travel hub they stopped at was nestled within the forest, protected by shorts walls of rotted wood and crumbling leaf litter. Either the hub didn't see many stray beasts or they had a competent-enough guard to keep things safe. That, or they just expected everyone to know how to fend for themselves. "Dragons call this place the Lean-To, a 'second-hand' travel hub. Ownership of the place has been passed down through the claws of various dragons, usually with coin," Dyzith filled in, probably noticing Aviva's curious gaze.

The Mirror removed the woodmask that concealed her face, glancing at Dyzith. "'Usually'?" she questioned, pondering the word choice. "You don't mean-"

"Oh yes, I do," Dyzith answered, anticipating the remark. "Some dealings here aren't always... morally acceptable." The obsidian Mirror shrugged with her wings, body relaxed. She didn't seem to be bothered by the notion of dubious dealings. Aviva wondered if she might have been raised by Shadow dragons at some point or other. Dyzith didn't really speak about her past much, only if some bit seemed important to the situation. Her companion started forward, passing through a wide opening within the protective wall. Aviva noted the lack of a gate or other barrier, suggesting the entrance was open at all hours of the day.

It wasn't a large hub, consisting of only a few key areas: a couple shops, an inn of sorts, and not much else. The structures were mostly dug into the ground, disappearing under the surface and leaving Aviva to wonder how deep the digging went. Despite the scant number of places to visit, there were plenty of dragons, several of whom were already moving about. "Is it usually this busy?"

Dyzith nodded once. "It's the only hub that can be reached outside the deeper parts of the Tangled Wood. If you aren't Shadow-born, then you'll find traveling further into the territory to be quite the challenge."

Of course. Aviva remembered that. It was often the case for many of the regions within Sornieth, with the respective elements in their own territories. Though she couldn't remember the Windswept Plateau, she wouldn't be surprised if she could spend an entire day within the air despite being comfortable on the ground. "Why are we here anyways?" Aviva wondered.

"So we can seek out the fastest route to the Scarred Wastelands, as well as to gather any important news. It's always smart to know current weather patterns, lurking dangers, all of that. Joria wasn't experienced with traveling so I handled all of that information for him."

When they had all been searching for a place to settle. Aviva hadn't thought about it before now, but it made sense. Still, it hadn't avoided every encounter with trouble.... She frowned. "Alright then. How do you know who's most likely to have this information?" she pushed. Might as well get Dyzith to teach her a thing or three.

Sidestepping to avoid collision with a Nocturne, the older Mirror paused and glanced around. "Typically... They're supposed to have an emblem. There's a sort of pact, you see, that the travel hubs throughout Sornieth were supposed to agree upon. This pact included regulations for identification. Now, for the most part, these dragons follow it to the letter. Occasionally, you'll get a bad egg or two trying to spoil the whole nest. Ah, there." She bounded forward and Aviva followed.

The dragon Dyzith spotted was a beige-scaled Bogsneak, her crest rising and falling with her words as she spoke to a blue-black Guardian. Clad in an array of colorful fabrics (bright scarves, cloaks, head coverings), Aviva almost couldn't separate dragon from clothing. The Guardian was less flamboyantly clothed, wearing dark reds and neutral browns. Funnily, she noted the rose emblems that mirrored hers - except her apparel held shades of green. Platting covered the front edges of his wings and she wondered if he'd seen battle before.

"You see the broach on the Bogsneak's scarf?" Dyzith's voice distracted Aviva from her observations, pulling her lingering gaze away from the Guardian. Focusing again on the Bogsneak, Aviva saw it this time: a round piece of silver jewelry that had a trio of arrows diagonally crossing a compass rose etched into its surface. Aviva nodded.

They waited until the Guardian was done speaking to the Bogsneak. When he turned away from the female, the first thing Aviva noticed was that he had the dark blue eyes of a Water-born. The second thing she noticed was that he was staring at Dyzith a bit too long. "Um..." Aviva started, instinctively brushing past Dyzith in an attempt to get the Guardian's attention. Something about his expression unnerved her.

Successful, she watched his focus shift from the older Mirror onto her. Beside her, she could feel Dyzith's stiffness. "I guess you've never encountered a Guardian on the Search before, have you dear?" Dyzith spoke up suddenly, abruptly breaking the silence between them before it carried on too long. "It's alright, Aviva."

"Dyzith?" she questioned, turning to look at the other female.

"Have you found your Charge, Guardian?" Dyzith ignored her, addressing the stranger instead. "Your kind always gets a certain look to them when they've finally accomplished their Search. I've seen a few cases, so I can hazard a guess. Hm?"

Was he frowning? Faint light reflected off the Filigree markings upon his face and neck as he stared down at them. Finally, to Aviva's relief, he replied. "Yes. You are?" His voice was deep and rumbled quietly.

"Dyzith. And this is my clanmate, Aviva. We're traveling to the Scarred Wastelands," Dyzith introduced. There was something in her red gaze that Aviva didn't recognize. As far as she could remember, she'd never seen it before.

The Guardian was silent for a few moments more, glancing back at the Bogsneak who watched them with a narrowed, impatient, gaze. Her claws drummed against the crooked wooden stand. "Thornaath. You won't get information about the Plague-borns' home from this one."

The Bogsneak hissed, her crest rising as she bristled. "Oi! Who do-" Thornaath cut her off with the lift of his wings, blocking her from view. His blue eyes fell upon Aviva and she stilled, her heart skipping a beat.

"So, care to inform us about your Charge, Thornaath?" His name rolled off Dyzith's tongue but Aviva noticed that she was the target of her gaze.

Lowering his head to be level with Dyzith's, he took his time studying first her, and then Aviva. Once done, he looked at Dyzith again. "You. Not one of your belongings. I am certain."

"How long?" The Mirror questioned. For whatever reason, Aviva believed that Dyzith was unsurprised, maybe even expecting this realization.

"Too many years," Thornaath replied. Lifting his head, he motioned with a clawed hand. "Shall we go, then?"

A grin spread across Dyzith's face. "Follow me."
FR +0 | Woman
Art | Thread
Sales
dVkftIl.png
x
x
x

Blancblack_egg.gif
hYhXXAs.png
x
x
x

tnRVw.png
ZFPkptJ.png
Entry Five: Wastelands

Aviva and Dyzith raced along the ground as Thornaath kept pace up above. Through the thick canopy, Aviva could catch glimpses of the Guardian just past the treetops. They had quickened their pace because Dyzith cautioned against lingering and Thornaath had agreed. It didn’t matter to her; she loved running.

As the dark forest that gave the Tangled Wood it’s name began to fall away, the land ahead took on a reddish hue. Aviva slowed as she approached the boarder, hesitating when her claws sunk into something... fleshy? She eyed the edge of the Wandering Contagion. Beside her, Dyzith waited, scaled lips ever so slightly curved at the corner.

Beating wings disturbed the air nearby, causing the Mirrors' apparel to shift and flutter. Thornaath lit upon the mutated ground. "How should we cross?" Aviva asked, turning her gaze away from the Guardian to focus on the obsidian Mirror.

"Carefully. We've been through the territory before, Aviva, but it won't be like the last time with Joria and the others. We need to reach the Rotrock Rim and getting there won't be as easy as simply passing through the Contagion. I..." Dyzith trailed off, her small smile fading into a grimace of worry. "I might have something in my herbs to protect you from the air-born toxins. However, it's very important to avoid any injury; blood-born diseases are vicious.

"We might as well search for a place to camp," Dyzith continued, switching focus as her gaze searched the sky. Aviva did her best to measure the amount of daylight remaining. She hazard there weren't many hours left.

Almost wordlessly, they started moving again at a jog, Dyzith leading. She found them a place to rest within the hallows of a forgotten den, one too small for Thornaath. The Guardian made no protest. "Hunt with me, Aviva," Dyzith beckoned, leaving Thornaath at the abandoned den. This time he did protest but the Mirror silenced him quickly, claiming knowledge of the land as her supporting reason.

"How much luck do you think we'll have?" Aviva asked, once out of sight and hearing of the dark Guardian.

Dyzith shifted her wings in a shrug. "It's always difficult to say about the Wastelands. However, the Contagion and Rim are the more... thriving areas of the region. We might want to consider preserving what we can for the trip ahead." The older dragon fell silent then, slipping into a familiar state that Aviva always dubbed 'the huntress'. She was ruthless and quick in that silence.

Following Dyzith's lead, she focused on the heat signatures that bloomed within the sickly air of the land. Claws dug into the mutated ground as she stalked and sprinted. Teeth found flesh and prey found death.

Something bumped into her and Aviva stumbled, angling her head to look at Dyzith. "What was that f -"

"Sh! Keep quiet!" Dyzith hissed, voice drifting on her breath as she crouched low. Pushing Aviva, she guided them quickly into a shallow crater, one of many pockmarking the ground.

Trying to keep her breathing steady, Aviva all but hugged the ground, straining her senses in an attempt to detect what Dyzith had noticed. She couldn't hear or smell anything, however, and she wondered if her friend was merely seeing things. But she trusted Dyzith's judgement. Eventually, Dyzith snuck away, urging Aviva to remain in place. Her heart quickened its pace and she tucked her wings tightly against her flanks.

A loud roar startled her, causing her to jump and dart out of the crater. Skidding to a halt, she searched frantically until she spotted them. Dyzith was sprinting back towards her. Chasing her was an Imperial, his violet-hued scales layered in dark crystal and his leathery wings laced with toxic colors. His eyes were sunken and sick, his body festering with scars and unclean wounds.

"Dyzith!" Aviva shouted. The obsidian Mirror wasn't going to outpace the enraged Imperial. Acting fast, Aviva rushed to meet the dragons. She slammed her shoulder and wing into Dyzith's side, causing them both to tumble in a tangle of limbs. Pain burned across her back and Aviva snarled in agony.

Wingbeats reached her ears and a shadow passed over. Aviva could barely see it from the corner of her eye but she heard the Imperial roar again, the sound of heavy bodies hitting the ground hardly a moment after. Dyzith untangled herself first and Aviva turned.

Thornaath was a large dragon, certainly dwarfing Aviva by about three times her size. The Imperial was larger still, possessing at least another few meters in size over the Guardian. Still, they rivaled each other as if equals. Horrified by the sight, Aviva found her gaze rooted on the battle, even as Dyzith tried to guide her away.

The Imperial struck with a clawed hand and snapping maw, wings flapping sporadically as if they were broken or weak. Thornaath jerked aside and brought his claws up from beneath the Imperial's vulnerable stomach. As Thornaath's claws marred flesh, the Imperial twisted and bore down on the Guardian, a jagged antler knocking into his neck.

Aviva winced, starting to rush forward as the large dragons tumbled and twisted. Their bodies hit the ground, wings floundering. Dyzith barreled into Aviva. "No! You'll be crushed! Let him fight and stay out of the way!" the Mirror shouted.

"We - We have to help him!" Aviva urged, pain washing through her back.

"You're already hurt! Stop flailing so I can take a look! Eleven above, Aviva!" She stopped struggling, shutting her eyes tightly to block out the battle. Thornaath's snarl rang in her ears. Something dribbled into the wound on her back, causing it to sting and she hissed, jerking. "Stop it," Dyzith growled. "I know it stings but it's an oil that'll prevent infection," she continued.

Opening her eyes again, Aviva's field of vision was obscured by Dyzith's outstretched wing. The obsidian scaled Mirror shifted and suddenly Aviva could see the fight again.

Thornaath was pinned down, the Imperial pressing all his weight upon the Guardian and furiously attempting to get at his throat. Only the fanned out fins kept Thornaath safe from powerful jaws. Somehow, Thornaath broke free and leapt, wrapping himself around the Imperial and grabbing hold of his wings. The enraged beast roared in agony as his wings were bent in ways they shouldn't be, the leather membrane ripped apart by savage claws.

They continued, rolling again and becoming entangled. Finally, Thornaath found a hold on the Imperial's jugular. And then, as violent as the battle had been, it ended too swiftly. Aviva stared as the Imperial fell limply to the ground and Thornaath staggered free of the corpse. Without the trashing of bodies, she could better see the damage he suffered.

His regal apparel was torn and soiled, streaks of blood decorating the neutral-toned fabrics and blending into the red-hued accents. His blue and black scales hid the wounds easily but she could see his limp and the glimmer of his Filigree was interrupted in wide sections.

But his head wasn't low and, despite the tears, his wings were held partially unfurled at his sides. "How is she?" The first words from his maw as he neared.

Dyzith glanced up at him and tsk'd. "Aviva'll be just fine. Now, what about you? You've clearly taken a beating," she scowled.

"I will mend," he replied simply. He was staring at Aviva, just as she stared back. Suddenly realizing it, she blinked and quickly looked away. "Can you walk?" He was asking her. Of course he was.

Nodding, Aviva stood. "Yes, I'll be okay." That hadn't been his question but something made her believe it had been what he was asking.
Entry Five: Wastelands

Aviva and Dyzith raced along the ground as Thornaath kept pace up above. Through the thick canopy, Aviva could catch glimpses of the Guardian just past the treetops. They had quickened their pace because Dyzith cautioned against lingering and Thornaath had agreed. It didn’t matter to her; she loved running.

As the dark forest that gave the Tangled Wood it’s name began to fall away, the land ahead took on a reddish hue. Aviva slowed as she approached the boarder, hesitating when her claws sunk into something... fleshy? She eyed the edge of the Wandering Contagion. Beside her, Dyzith waited, scaled lips ever so slightly curved at the corner.

Beating wings disturbed the air nearby, causing the Mirrors' apparel to shift and flutter. Thornaath lit upon the mutated ground. "How should we cross?" Aviva asked, turning her gaze away from the Guardian to focus on the obsidian Mirror.

"Carefully. We've been through the territory before, Aviva, but it won't be like the last time with Joria and the others. We need to reach the Rotrock Rim and getting there won't be as easy as simply passing through the Contagion. I..." Dyzith trailed off, her small smile fading into a grimace of worry. "I might have something in my herbs to protect you from the air-born toxins. However, it's very important to avoid any injury; blood-born diseases are vicious.

"We might as well search for a place to camp," Dyzith continued, switching focus as her gaze searched the sky. Aviva did her best to measure the amount of daylight remaining. She hazard there weren't many hours left.

Almost wordlessly, they started moving again at a jog, Dyzith leading. She found them a place to rest within the hallows of a forgotten den, one too small for Thornaath. The Guardian made no protest. "Hunt with me, Aviva," Dyzith beckoned, leaving Thornaath at the abandoned den. This time he did protest but the Mirror silenced him quickly, claiming knowledge of the land as her supporting reason.

"How much luck do you think we'll have?" Aviva asked, once out of sight and hearing of the dark Guardian.

Dyzith shifted her wings in a shrug. "It's always difficult to say about the Wastelands. However, the Contagion and Rim are the more... thriving areas of the region. We might want to consider preserving what we can for the trip ahead." The older dragon fell silent then, slipping into a familiar state that Aviva always dubbed 'the huntress'. She was ruthless and quick in that silence.

Following Dyzith's lead, she focused on the heat signatures that bloomed within the sickly air of the land. Claws dug into the mutated ground as she stalked and sprinted. Teeth found flesh and prey found death.

Something bumped into her and Aviva stumbled, angling her head to look at Dyzith. "What was that f -"

"Sh! Keep quiet!" Dyzith hissed, voice drifting on her breath as she crouched low. Pushing Aviva, she guided them quickly into a shallow crater, one of many pockmarking the ground.

Trying to keep her breathing steady, Aviva all but hugged the ground, straining her senses in an attempt to detect what Dyzith had noticed. She couldn't hear or smell anything, however, and she wondered if her friend was merely seeing things. But she trusted Dyzith's judgement. Eventually, Dyzith snuck away, urging Aviva to remain in place. Her heart quickened its pace and she tucked her wings tightly against her flanks.

A loud roar startled her, causing her to jump and dart out of the crater. Skidding to a halt, she searched frantically until she spotted them. Dyzith was sprinting back towards her. Chasing her was an Imperial, his violet-hued scales layered in dark crystal and his leathery wings laced with toxic colors. His eyes were sunken and sick, his body festering with scars and unclean wounds.

"Dyzith!" Aviva shouted. The obsidian Mirror wasn't going to outpace the enraged Imperial. Acting fast, Aviva rushed to meet the dragons. She slammed her shoulder and wing into Dyzith's side, causing them both to tumble in a tangle of limbs. Pain burned across her back and Aviva snarled in agony.

Wingbeats reached her ears and a shadow passed over. Aviva could barely see it from the corner of her eye but she heard the Imperial roar again, the sound of heavy bodies hitting the ground hardly a moment after. Dyzith untangled herself first and Aviva turned.

Thornaath was a large dragon, certainly dwarfing Aviva by about three times her size. The Imperial was larger still, possessing at least another few meters in size over the Guardian. Still, they rivaled each other as if equals. Horrified by the sight, Aviva found her gaze rooted on the battle, even as Dyzith tried to guide her away.

The Imperial struck with a clawed hand and snapping maw, wings flapping sporadically as if they were broken or weak. Thornaath jerked aside and brought his claws up from beneath the Imperial's vulnerable stomach. As Thornaath's claws marred flesh, the Imperial twisted and bore down on the Guardian, a jagged antler knocking into his neck.

Aviva winced, starting to rush forward as the large dragons tumbled and twisted. Their bodies hit the ground, wings floundering. Dyzith barreled into Aviva. "No! You'll be crushed! Let him fight and stay out of the way!" the Mirror shouted.

"We - We have to help him!" Aviva urged, pain washing through her back.

"You're already hurt! Stop flailing so I can take a look! Eleven above, Aviva!" She stopped struggling, shutting her eyes tightly to block out the battle. Thornaath's snarl rang in her ears. Something dribbled into the wound on her back, causing it to sting and she hissed, jerking. "Stop it," Dyzith growled. "I know it stings but it's an oil that'll prevent infection," she continued.

Opening her eyes again, Aviva's field of vision was obscured by Dyzith's outstretched wing. The obsidian scaled Mirror shifted and suddenly Aviva could see the fight again.

Thornaath was pinned down, the Imperial pressing all his weight upon the Guardian and furiously attempting to get at his throat. Only the fanned out fins kept Thornaath safe from powerful jaws. Somehow, Thornaath broke free and leapt, wrapping himself around the Imperial and grabbing hold of his wings. The enraged beast roared in agony as his wings were bent in ways they shouldn't be, the leather membrane ripped apart by savage claws.

They continued, rolling again and becoming entangled. Finally, Thornaath found a hold on the Imperial's jugular. And then, as violent as the battle had been, it ended too swiftly. Aviva stared as the Imperial fell limply to the ground and Thornaath staggered free of the corpse. Without the trashing of bodies, she could better see the damage he suffered.

His regal apparel was torn and soiled, streaks of blood decorating the neutral-toned fabrics and blending into the red-hued accents. His blue and black scales hid the wounds easily but she could see his limp and the glimmer of his Filigree was interrupted in wide sections.

But his head wasn't low and, despite the tears, his wings were held partially unfurled at his sides. "How is she?" The first words from his maw as he neared.

Dyzith glanced up at him and tsk'd. "Aviva'll be just fine. Now, what about you? You've clearly taken a beating," she scowled.

"I will mend," he replied simply. He was staring at Aviva, just as she stared back. Suddenly realizing it, she blinked and quickly looked away. "Can you walk?" He was asking her. Of course he was.

Nodding, Aviva stood. "Yes, I'll be okay." That hadn't been his question but something made her believe it had been what he was asking.
FR +0 | Woman
Art | Thread
Sales
dVkftIl.png
x
x
x

Blancblack_egg.gif
hYhXXAs.png
x
x
x

tnRVw.png
ZFPkptJ.png
Entry Six: Trust

Dyzith scavenged up what she could of their hunt, carrying it back to their temporary camp by wing as Aviva and Thornaath walked. She was in no state to fly with deep claw marks gouged into her back. It wasn't her back she worried about.

The Guardian dwarfed her, his wings loosely held at his sides. She wondered if Thornaath was aware that one hovered over her, as if to shield against the possibility of rain. Aviva didn't even know if it rained in the Scarred Wastelands but she hadn't seen anything but the foul-smelling fog that clung to the land.

He had ignored Dyzith's protests, refusing her assistance and herbal treatments in favor for a small casting of magic. Most of the superficial injuries, the minor cuts and scrapes, had vanished under the brilliant green sparks. But the larger and deeper injuries remained almost untouched, though the bleeding had appeared to cease. Maybe it washed away any threats of infection, too?

A quick, unobtrusive, sniff didn't reveal any stench of disease coming from him. But then, the entire region smelt strange to her. It didn't do much to soothe her anxiousness.

"Aviva." She almost collided against his side. When had Thornaath cut in front of her? So lost in her thoughts of worry, she had failed to notice. A blunder she was embarrassed to have in front of a virtual stranger, within the boarders of a foreign region she was uneducated about. "How well do you know Dyzith?"

Looking up, she was startled to realize she didn't have to shift her gaze far. His face was close to hers, just a fraction lower than her nose. His breath washed against the scales of her jaw instead of directly into her face. "Um..." She didn't know how to answer at first and fell silent.

Maybe he sensed her hesitation because he spoke again. "How well do you trust Dyzith?" Thornaath's gravely voice was gentle, as if to soothe instead of accuse. A tone that made the tension in her shoulders ebb away.

Regaining composure, Aviva shifted her wings and took a step to put a fraction of space between them without yielding any ground. "I don't have any memories past some months ago. The earliest thing I remember is waking up under Dyzith's care, recovering from too many wounds. I..." She paused again, never having considered this before. "I guess... I guess I trust her with my life."

Something nagged at the back of her mind, stirring like a beast slowly becoming more alert. She couldn't put her claw on why, however, and shoved it away as best she could. When Thornaath continued to stare, remaining silent this time, Aviva shifted her weight from one side of her body to the other. "She's been a good friend to me and she's even teaching me a few things about healing wounds and illnesses." Why did she suddenly feel so... unnerved?

Gratefully, he switched topics. "What have you been learning to become a healer?" His voice shifted as well, becoming more conversational and perhaps interested. The Guardian lifted his head and started moving once more, falling back to her flank again.

"Nothing magical. At least not yet. Mostly just herbs and basic remedies. When we crossed paths with Joria's group, Dyzith needed help in caring for wounds so I jumped at the opportunity. I think I wanted to repay her in some small way for taking care of me. But that quickly turned into a genuine desire to learn about healing. I like helping others," Aviva explained.

He didn't respond immediately. "I can teach you what I know of healing magic," he offered.

"Really?" Aviva paused momentarily, watching the larger dragon as a flicker of excitement built within her chest. "I would appreciate that," she accepted, scaly lips curving at the corners. It was difficult to see on his face, hidden by his dark scales, but the Mirror caught a glimpse of his faint smile.

"Well, it's about time! I wondered if I was going to have to search for you two," Dyzith called, their temporary camp coming into view. The obsidian-scaled dragon was brewing tea, the scent of cooked meat wafting to Aviva's nose. "Thornaath, I hope you don't mind my cooking. I had to ensure anything harmful was seared away."

The Guardian shrugged his wings. If the motion pained him, he didn't show it. "Would you like some tea?" Aviva asked him, knowing Dyzith would push a cup into his reach unless she was given a clear 'no'. The Mirror always brewed different herbal blends, trying various flavors. She had more 'volunteers' whenever she 'forgot' to ask. Aviva made sure to do so.

As her nose picked out the scents of mint and lavender (a rather safe mixture), Thornaath nodded once. They ate and Dyzith took care of Aviva's back, making use of the supplies that the green-scaled Mirror had packed. Hissing from the pain, Aviva did her best not to squirm under the discomfort and sighed in relief when the necessary torture was finished. "You're turn," Dyzith ordered Thornaath, sharply.

He stared at Dyzith a moment before finally yielding. Lowering himself as much as he could, Aviva watched as her friend tended to the bigger dragon. He had far better control of any involuntary twitches than Aviva did. Maybe he was used to pain? The thought faintly distressed her.

"There. I ran out of bandages but that should all hold until we can get our claws onto more. Wonder if we should bother with a seamster, too. Your lovely apparel is a mess," Dyzith hummed, a slight coo in the tone of her voice. It made Aviva smirk, focusing on the shift of her wings to prevent a chuckle from escaping. Dyzith clearly liked Thornaath, despite his quiet and perhaps cautious nature.

Aviva saw rejection etch itself into his features and she spoke up before he could. "We'll sort that out as we go." A yawn stretched out her maw and she slunk towards the abandoned den. "I'm getting some shuteye now."

She was more exhausted than she thought. So much so, she barely had time to register Dyzith settling down close by before sleep claimed her.
Entry Six: Trust

Dyzith scavenged up what she could of their hunt, carrying it back to their temporary camp by wing as Aviva and Thornaath walked. She was in no state to fly with deep claw marks gouged into her back. It wasn't her back she worried about.

The Guardian dwarfed her, his wings loosely held at his sides. She wondered if Thornaath was aware that one hovered over her, as if to shield against the possibility of rain. Aviva didn't even know if it rained in the Scarred Wastelands but she hadn't seen anything but the foul-smelling fog that clung to the land.

He had ignored Dyzith's protests, refusing her assistance and herbal treatments in favor for a small casting of magic. Most of the superficial injuries, the minor cuts and scrapes, had vanished under the brilliant green sparks. But the larger and deeper injuries remained almost untouched, though the bleeding had appeared to cease. Maybe it washed away any threats of infection, too?

A quick, unobtrusive, sniff didn't reveal any stench of disease coming from him. But then, the entire region smelt strange to her. It didn't do much to soothe her anxiousness.

"Aviva." She almost collided against his side. When had Thornaath cut in front of her? So lost in her thoughts of worry, she had failed to notice. A blunder she was embarrassed to have in front of a virtual stranger, within the boarders of a foreign region she was uneducated about. "How well do you know Dyzith?"

Looking up, she was startled to realize she didn't have to shift her gaze far. His face was close to hers, just a fraction lower than her nose. His breath washed against the scales of her jaw instead of directly into her face. "Um..." She didn't know how to answer at first and fell silent.

Maybe he sensed her hesitation because he spoke again. "How well do you trust Dyzith?" Thornaath's gravely voice was gentle, as if to soothe instead of accuse. A tone that made the tension in her shoulders ebb away.

Regaining composure, Aviva shifted her wings and took a step to put a fraction of space between them without yielding any ground. "I don't have any memories past some months ago. The earliest thing I remember is waking up under Dyzith's care, recovering from too many wounds. I..." She paused again, never having considered this before. "I guess... I guess I trust her with my life."

Something nagged at the back of her mind, stirring like a beast slowly becoming more alert. She couldn't put her claw on why, however, and shoved it away as best she could. When Thornaath continued to stare, remaining silent this time, Aviva shifted her weight from one side of her body to the other. "She's been a good friend to me and she's even teaching me a few things about healing wounds and illnesses." Why did she suddenly feel so... unnerved?

Gratefully, he switched topics. "What have you been learning to become a healer?" His voice shifted as well, becoming more conversational and perhaps interested. The Guardian lifted his head and started moving once more, falling back to her flank again.

"Nothing magical. At least not yet. Mostly just herbs and basic remedies. When we crossed paths with Joria's group, Dyzith needed help in caring for wounds so I jumped at the opportunity. I think I wanted to repay her in some small way for taking care of me. But that quickly turned into a genuine desire to learn about healing. I like helping others," Aviva explained.

He didn't respond immediately. "I can teach you what I know of healing magic," he offered.

"Really?" Aviva paused momentarily, watching the larger dragon as a flicker of excitement built within her chest. "I would appreciate that," she accepted, scaly lips curving at the corners. It was difficult to see on his face, hidden by his dark scales, but the Mirror caught a glimpse of his faint smile.

"Well, it's about time! I wondered if I was going to have to search for you two," Dyzith called, their temporary camp coming into view. The obsidian-scaled dragon was brewing tea, the scent of cooked meat wafting to Aviva's nose. "Thornaath, I hope you don't mind my cooking. I had to ensure anything harmful was seared away."

The Guardian shrugged his wings. If the motion pained him, he didn't show it. "Would you like some tea?" Aviva asked him, knowing Dyzith would push a cup into his reach unless she was given a clear 'no'. The Mirror always brewed different herbal blends, trying various flavors. She had more 'volunteers' whenever she 'forgot' to ask. Aviva made sure to do so.

As her nose picked out the scents of mint and lavender (a rather safe mixture), Thornaath nodded once. They ate and Dyzith took care of Aviva's back, making use of the supplies that the green-scaled Mirror had packed. Hissing from the pain, Aviva did her best not to squirm under the discomfort and sighed in relief when the necessary torture was finished. "You're turn," Dyzith ordered Thornaath, sharply.

He stared at Dyzith a moment before finally yielding. Lowering himself as much as he could, Aviva watched as her friend tended to the bigger dragon. He had far better control of any involuntary twitches than Aviva did. Maybe he was used to pain? The thought faintly distressed her.

"There. I ran out of bandages but that should all hold until we can get our claws onto more. Wonder if we should bother with a seamster, too. Your lovely apparel is a mess," Dyzith hummed, a slight coo in the tone of her voice. It made Aviva smirk, focusing on the shift of her wings to prevent a chuckle from escaping. Dyzith clearly liked Thornaath, despite his quiet and perhaps cautious nature.

Aviva saw rejection etch itself into his features and she spoke up before he could. "We'll sort that out as we go." A yawn stretched out her maw and she slunk towards the abandoned den. "I'm getting some shuteye now."

She was more exhausted than she thought. So much so, she barely had time to register Dyzith settling down close by before sleep claimed her.
FR +0 | Woman
Art | Thread
Sales
dVkftIl.png
x
x
x

Blancblack_egg.gif
hYhXXAs.png
x
x
x

tnRVw.png
ZFPkptJ.png
Author's Note: Yes, hi, hello. It's been a long while. I had lots of things happening on the personal side and it left me with little to no motivation. I set this story down so I wouldn't feel bad for not giving it my best with future posts. Then school started. Now that classes have ended for the summer, I'm returning to this story.
Entry Seven: Sickness

When morning came, Aviva cracked open only a pair of her eyes. The Contagion was awash with heat, as if overcome with a fever. She remained where she lay, hardly bothering to uncurl her body. How do Plague-born survive living in a land like this? Maybe she was too accustomed to seeing lands bursting with healthy life. Shutting her eyes against the sickly heat signature, Aviva attempted to return to slumber. Dyzith was still asleep so she figured it was safe for her to continue doing the same.

All four eyes snapped open.

Thornaath was gone. Lurching to her feet, she exited the old den and looked about quickly. "Thornaath?" Aviva glanced back at Dyzith. The older Mirror was beginning to stir. "Thornaath isn't here."

Dyzith blinked wearily at her for a moment more before alertness came to her red eyes. "He's likely hunting and chose not to wake us. Fool. Can't be helped, I suppose; he's a Guardian, after all, and needs more than we do for sustenance." Dyzith's wings lifted in a shrug. "Let's take a look at your back, shall we? We can't exactly continue forward yet anyways unless we want to leave him behind."

The Mirror began shuffling through her supplies as Aviva hesitated. Something twisted in her gut, an insistence to find Thornaath sooner than later. She shook out her body, trying to ward off the dreary feeling. "Okay." Stepping closer, Aviva lowered herself to the mutated ground again, drooping her wings so as to provide Dyzith better access.

She stared out towards the Wasteland as she felt bandages pull away from tender flesh. Aviva had dreamed about the sick Imperial, about his claws viciously slashing. She hissed, wincing faintly when Dyzith pressed something against raw gashes. Curious, Aviva lifted her head and craned her neck, turning in an attempt to see yesterday's damage.

"Hold still."

"Sorry."

"No you're not."

Aviva smiled, a snicker floating free from her maw. "No. I just want to know--"

"I'm aware. You'll heal fine. If you were going to get an infection, you would have gotten one by now. However--" the tone in Dyzith's voice dropped a few notes, her scaled brow shifting with worry--"I don't think we should push too fast in our travels until you and Thornaath are healed proper. The further in we get, the more merciless the environment; which includes air-born viruses and such."

"Don't you Plague-born have magic that can ward non-Plague clan mates and visitors from such dangers? Just as Water dragons use magic so those of other elements can survive within the Tidelord's domain."

Aviva jerked her gaze and attention towards Thornaath. She hadn't heard his approach. Looking up--way up--she found his face. It was hard to gauge his expression, ocean eyes barely visible. They almost looked dull. Hadn't they been brighter yesterday?

Dyzith hummed, following with a sound of sorts. "Plague dragons are not as... considerate, as you Water-born. Either a dragon survives with their own will and power or they don't. That has been the way of the Scarred Wastelands for centuries." Dyzith's eyes narrowed slightly. Aviva watched Dyzith inhale deeply, nostrils flaring for a moment. "Thornaath."

"No concern of yours."

"Don't you try for coy with me! Not while we are in the Wasteland!"

Thornaath's scaled lips pulled away from sharp teeth, a snarl that threatened violence escaping his throat. Aviva stood abruptly, instinctively coming to stand between the other two as she flicked her gaze back and forth. "Wait, stop." What had Dyzith seen? She focused on Thornaath. She didn't know if she could rely on body heat--his was nearly equivalent to the Contagion. Scent? Everything smelt like disease. Dyzith smelt like her herbs and pungent ointments. Aviva was still mostly unfamiliar with the salty tinge of sea water that clung to Thornaath's hide like a second layer of musk, laced with the sting of magic and--

"Thornaath, you're infected...."

His gaze turned to her, head lowering to be level with hers. His eyes were definitely brighter the day before. She could see the fog of weakened magic.

Unexpectedly, he jerked his head back and up, wings unfurling as he rounded on Dyzith. "Stop that. Yours will interfere with mine."

Aviva blinked, looking to Dyzith and catching the tail-ends of some incantation. She didn't recognize all of it, but a few words were familiar from other healing spells. "'Interfere'?"

The older Mirror bit off the rest of her spell, disrupting it with a snarl. "Yes. Not every magic blends well with that of other elements, dear. If you had told me, Thornaath, I wouldn't have wasted energy."

"Wait. You mean you're using your own magic to heal?" Aviva probably should have known that already; she felt like she should have. But she still searched for the explanation, looking back and forth between the other dragons.

Thornaath nodded. "None of your concern, as I already stated."

"But, why not just say so from the start?"

He brought his gaze back to Aviva and she swore his features softened a fraction when she expected them to be harsher. "Guardians are particular about revealing weaknesses," Dyzith responded, brushing past Aviva and gently bumping her. "Especially in front of their Charge."

As Dyzith moved around Thornaath, the Guardian shifted his wings, folding them against his sides. In the next moment, he took a step away and followed the Plague dragon with his gaze. "Oh hold still, will you? I just want to see how well your magic is working for those wounds! I might even be able to come up with something that complements it."

"Leave it. Use your energy on Aviva if you must."

The Mirror made a sound of disapproval but finally backed away. Shrugging her wings, Dyzith went to their pile of supplies and began packing it away. "Suit yourself then. We'll get leaving shortly."

Aviva stared at her friend. After a few moments, she glanced at Thornaath. He was already watching her. Again, her heartbeat did a funny thing. And Thornaath's expression changed into something not unlike Dyzith's did when her eyes began to glow.

Blinking rapidly, Aviva turned away from him and reached for her woodmask, gathering the last few items Dyzith missed.

Briefly, she lingered on the wonder of how Thornaath didn't say anything about her eyes.
Author's Note: Yes, hi, hello. It's been a long while. I had lots of things happening on the personal side and it left me with little to no motivation. I set this story down so I wouldn't feel bad for not giving it my best with future posts. Then school started. Now that classes have ended for the summer, I'm returning to this story.
Entry Seven: Sickness

When morning came, Aviva cracked open only a pair of her eyes. The Contagion was awash with heat, as if overcome with a fever. She remained where she lay, hardly bothering to uncurl her body. How do Plague-born survive living in a land like this? Maybe she was too accustomed to seeing lands bursting with healthy life. Shutting her eyes against the sickly heat signature, Aviva attempted to return to slumber. Dyzith was still asleep so she figured it was safe for her to continue doing the same.

All four eyes snapped open.

Thornaath was gone. Lurching to her feet, she exited the old den and looked about quickly. "Thornaath?" Aviva glanced back at Dyzith. The older Mirror was beginning to stir. "Thornaath isn't here."

Dyzith blinked wearily at her for a moment more before alertness came to her red eyes. "He's likely hunting and chose not to wake us. Fool. Can't be helped, I suppose; he's a Guardian, after all, and needs more than we do for sustenance." Dyzith's wings lifted in a shrug. "Let's take a look at your back, shall we? We can't exactly continue forward yet anyways unless we want to leave him behind."

The Mirror began shuffling through her supplies as Aviva hesitated. Something twisted in her gut, an insistence to find Thornaath sooner than later. She shook out her body, trying to ward off the dreary feeling. "Okay." Stepping closer, Aviva lowered herself to the mutated ground again, drooping her wings so as to provide Dyzith better access.

She stared out towards the Wasteland as she felt bandages pull away from tender flesh. Aviva had dreamed about the sick Imperial, about his claws viciously slashing. She hissed, wincing faintly when Dyzith pressed something against raw gashes. Curious, Aviva lifted her head and craned her neck, turning in an attempt to see yesterday's damage.

"Hold still."

"Sorry."

"No you're not."

Aviva smiled, a snicker floating free from her maw. "No. I just want to know--"

"I'm aware. You'll heal fine. If you were going to get an infection, you would have gotten one by now. However--" the tone in Dyzith's voice dropped a few notes, her scaled brow shifting with worry--"I don't think we should push too fast in our travels until you and Thornaath are healed proper. The further in we get, the more merciless the environment; which includes air-born viruses and such."

"Don't you Plague-born have magic that can ward non-Plague clan mates and visitors from such dangers? Just as Water dragons use magic so those of other elements can survive within the Tidelord's domain."

Aviva jerked her gaze and attention towards Thornaath. She hadn't heard his approach. Looking up--way up--she found his face. It was hard to gauge his expression, ocean eyes barely visible. They almost looked dull. Hadn't they been brighter yesterday?

Dyzith hummed, following with a sound of sorts. "Plague dragons are not as... considerate, as you Water-born. Either a dragon survives with their own will and power or they don't. That has been the way of the Scarred Wastelands for centuries." Dyzith's eyes narrowed slightly. Aviva watched Dyzith inhale deeply, nostrils flaring for a moment. "Thornaath."

"No concern of yours."

"Don't you try for coy with me! Not while we are in the Wasteland!"

Thornaath's scaled lips pulled away from sharp teeth, a snarl that threatened violence escaping his throat. Aviva stood abruptly, instinctively coming to stand between the other two as she flicked her gaze back and forth. "Wait, stop." What had Dyzith seen? She focused on Thornaath. She didn't know if she could rely on body heat--his was nearly equivalent to the Contagion. Scent? Everything smelt like disease. Dyzith smelt like her herbs and pungent ointments. Aviva was still mostly unfamiliar with the salty tinge of sea water that clung to Thornaath's hide like a second layer of musk, laced with the sting of magic and--

"Thornaath, you're infected...."

His gaze turned to her, head lowering to be level with hers. His eyes were definitely brighter the day before. She could see the fog of weakened magic.

Unexpectedly, he jerked his head back and up, wings unfurling as he rounded on Dyzith. "Stop that. Yours will interfere with mine."

Aviva blinked, looking to Dyzith and catching the tail-ends of some incantation. She didn't recognize all of it, but a few words were familiar from other healing spells. "'Interfere'?"

The older Mirror bit off the rest of her spell, disrupting it with a snarl. "Yes. Not every magic blends well with that of other elements, dear. If you had told me, Thornaath, I wouldn't have wasted energy."

"Wait. You mean you're using your own magic to heal?" Aviva probably should have known that already; she felt like she should have. But she still searched for the explanation, looking back and forth between the other dragons.

Thornaath nodded. "None of your concern, as I already stated."

"But, why not just say so from the start?"

He brought his gaze back to Aviva and she swore his features softened a fraction when she expected them to be harsher. "Guardians are particular about revealing weaknesses," Dyzith responded, brushing past Aviva and gently bumping her. "Especially in front of their Charge."

As Dyzith moved around Thornaath, the Guardian shifted his wings, folding them against his sides. In the next moment, he took a step away and followed the Plague dragon with his gaze. "Oh hold still, will you? I just want to see how well your magic is working for those wounds! I might even be able to come up with something that complements it."

"Leave it. Use your energy on Aviva if you must."

The Mirror made a sound of disapproval but finally backed away. Shrugging her wings, Dyzith went to their pile of supplies and began packing it away. "Suit yourself then. We'll get leaving shortly."

Aviva stared at her friend. After a few moments, she glanced at Thornaath. He was already watching her. Again, her heartbeat did a funny thing. And Thornaath's expression changed into something not unlike Dyzith's did when her eyes began to glow.

Blinking rapidly, Aviva turned away from him and reached for her woodmask, gathering the last few items Dyzith missed.

Briefly, she lingered on the wonder of how Thornaath didn't say anything about her eyes.
FR +0 | Woman
Art | Thread
Sales
dVkftIl.png
x
x
x

Blancblack_egg.gif
hYhXXAs.png
x
x
x

tnRVw.png
ZFPkptJ.png
Entry Eight: Fallen

They hadn't run into any more trouble, not since the sick Imperial and, despite her worry, Aviva couldn't deny that Thornaath seemed like he would be okay. However, the increasing quantity of bones and rotting corpses was beginning to make the Mirror uneasy. "Dyzith? Did--Did something--"

"Yes and no, dear. The Boneyard's just a little ways further."

Aviva focused on the other Mirror, catching the drop in her voice. "What is it?"

Dyzith didn't look at her. Instead, she looked up at Thornaath. "How far have you traveled? Any experiences in the Wasteland?"

The Guardian's answer was slow to come. "Not enough." Aviva had started to notice that Thornaath--well, seemed to avoid Dyzith. As they traveled, he never stood beside the Plague dragon; he either followed at the rear or positioned himself on Aviva's opposite side. She might have to ask about it--she caught each time when Dyzith stiffened with offense.

"How well do you trust Dyzith?"

Aviva shook her head, allowing the motion to carry through the rest of her body. She was overthinking; they were virtual strangers and Aviva wasn't naive about the prejudices against Plague dragons. She missed Dyzith's response but it no longer mattered. "I want to stretch my legs. Should we run?" Aviva said.

"No."

"Why not?" She almost stopped walking to stare at Dyzith.

The other Mirror did stop walking, making a thoughtful sound as she sat. "Aviva, the Abiding Boneyard is a place of lost souls. It claims dragons not through death by disease or famine, but by trapping unwary travelers in an inescapable labyrinth. We can't rush recklessly into this part of the region."

She paused, humming faintly. Aviva recognized it. Dyzith had thought of something and it was only a matter of time before--"Although," Dyzith tapped a claw against the ground. "We might be able to fly right over and cut down the risk."

"Do you think we can make it that far?"

"I can carry you, should you tire before we reach the Rim." Thornaath stepped closer to Aviva, lowering his head to glance at her from the corner of his eye.

"Oh, fantastic idea." Dyzith almost purred. "Why don't you start with me? This way, we can see just how far Aviva can fly. When she needs rest, she and I can swap. This way, we avoid the situation of us both faltering at the same time."

Before anyone could possibly say something in response, Dyzith moved close to Thornaath, her body only a fraction the size of the Guardian's. "Ready?"

Did he roll his eyes? Aviva watched his face but she couldn't be certain of his expression. Maybe it was a scowl. Stretching out her wings, she lifted them high and beat them once, twice, thrice, testing. Her back was stiff and her muscles quivered with echoes of pain. This couldn't be such a good idea.

Wind buffeted her as Thornaath's wings worked to lift him from the ground. As he climbed, he gathered Dyzith into his claws. It didn't look very dignified with the older Mirror all but dangling from the Guardian's hold like a partially limp sack. Aviva snickered, discomfort momentarily pushed back. "Will this work?" Both of them looked down at her, one solemn and the other... smug, for some reason. "What is it, Dyzith?" Aviva called up.

Waving a clawed hand, Dyzith's grin widened. "I always wanted a lift from a bigger dragon! What do you think? The start of a new fly-share business? Courier dragons but for other dragons instead of letters?"

"I highly recommend against it; it's a rather odd thing to see."

"Agreed," Thornaath said. The deep bass of his voice complimented the lack of amusement in his features.

Aviva grinned. She couldn't help it. Powering her wings, she sucked back the sharp hiss that wanted to leave her maw when her muscles cried out. Her eyes watered but the feeling gradually dulled into something more tolerable as her feet left the mutated ground.

Fog collected around her as they approached the Boneyard, her wings doing their best to lift her higher above it. "We need to stay out of the fog; it'll be the source of any tricks our minds might play on us," Dyzith was saying. She and Thornaath were ahead of Aviva, his giant wings unwavering despite the injuries Aviva knew he had.

Again, the young Mirror wondered about his past and if he had been--or still was--a warrior of sorts. But maybe, it was just some natural ability that Guardians had to work through any amount of damage dealt to them. Aviva would have to ask later; there was a lot she didn't know about other dragons. I hardly know anything about Mirrors. How pathetic is that? she thought.

Thornaath's dark figure started to grow smaller, less visible. Putting more energy behind her wingbeats, Aviva hurried to keep up. Her back burned and her vision blurred. She focused on Thornaath's heat, trusting it not to fail despite the fog.

It grew thicker and Thornaath continued to grow smaller. "Hey? Thornaath?" Aviva's voice was absorbed by the fog. "Thornaath! Hey, wait!" The spot of heat that he gave off vanished. Aviva swallowed hard, mouth and throat running dry.

Hissing from pain, she frantically powered her wings, trying to catch up. Her wings faltered, muscles seizing and shooting fire into her back. Tumbling, she cried out and the fog consumed her voice, yielding no response.

She was going to hit the ground. Panic raced into her chest, strangling her lungs and electrifying her heart.

You've been here before.

Aviva sucked in a breath, shutting her eyes against the fog and what could only be the rushing ground. Her wings wouldn't obey her; she couldn't feel them anymore.

Lost--
Entry Eight: Fallen

They hadn't run into any more trouble, not since the sick Imperial and, despite her worry, Aviva couldn't deny that Thornaath seemed like he would be okay. However, the increasing quantity of bones and rotting corpses was beginning to make the Mirror uneasy. "Dyzith? Did--Did something--"

"Yes and no, dear. The Boneyard's just a little ways further."

Aviva focused on the other Mirror, catching the drop in her voice. "What is it?"

Dyzith didn't look at her. Instead, she looked up at Thornaath. "How far have you traveled? Any experiences in the Wasteland?"

The Guardian's answer was slow to come. "Not enough." Aviva had started to notice that Thornaath--well, seemed to avoid Dyzith. As they traveled, he never stood beside the Plague dragon; he either followed at the rear or positioned himself on Aviva's opposite side. She might have to ask about it--she caught each time when Dyzith stiffened with offense.

"How well do you trust Dyzith?"

Aviva shook her head, allowing the motion to carry through the rest of her body. She was overthinking; they were virtual strangers and Aviva wasn't naive about the prejudices against Plague dragons. She missed Dyzith's response but it no longer mattered. "I want to stretch my legs. Should we run?" Aviva said.

"No."

"Why not?" She almost stopped walking to stare at Dyzith.

The other Mirror did stop walking, making a thoughtful sound as she sat. "Aviva, the Abiding Boneyard is a place of lost souls. It claims dragons not through death by disease or famine, but by trapping unwary travelers in an inescapable labyrinth. We can't rush recklessly into this part of the region."

She paused, humming faintly. Aviva recognized it. Dyzith had thought of something and it was only a matter of time before--"Although," Dyzith tapped a claw against the ground. "We might be able to fly right over and cut down the risk."

"Do you think we can make it that far?"

"I can carry you, should you tire before we reach the Rim." Thornaath stepped closer to Aviva, lowering his head to glance at her from the corner of his eye.

"Oh, fantastic idea." Dyzith almost purred. "Why don't you start with me? This way, we can see just how far Aviva can fly. When she needs rest, she and I can swap. This way, we avoid the situation of us both faltering at the same time."

Before anyone could possibly say something in response, Dyzith moved close to Thornaath, her body only a fraction the size of the Guardian's. "Ready?"

Did he roll his eyes? Aviva watched his face but she couldn't be certain of his expression. Maybe it was a scowl. Stretching out her wings, she lifted them high and beat them once, twice, thrice, testing. Her back was stiff and her muscles quivered with echoes of pain. This couldn't be such a good idea.

Wind buffeted her as Thornaath's wings worked to lift him from the ground. As he climbed, he gathered Dyzith into his claws. It didn't look very dignified with the older Mirror all but dangling from the Guardian's hold like a partially limp sack. Aviva snickered, discomfort momentarily pushed back. "Will this work?" Both of them looked down at her, one solemn and the other... smug, for some reason. "What is it, Dyzith?" Aviva called up.

Waving a clawed hand, Dyzith's grin widened. "I always wanted a lift from a bigger dragon! What do you think? The start of a new fly-share business? Courier dragons but for other dragons instead of letters?"

"I highly recommend against it; it's a rather odd thing to see."

"Agreed," Thornaath said. The deep bass of his voice complimented the lack of amusement in his features.

Aviva grinned. She couldn't help it. Powering her wings, she sucked back the sharp hiss that wanted to leave her maw when her muscles cried out. Her eyes watered but the feeling gradually dulled into something more tolerable as her feet left the mutated ground.

Fog collected around her as they approached the Boneyard, her wings doing their best to lift her higher above it. "We need to stay out of the fog; it'll be the source of any tricks our minds might play on us," Dyzith was saying. She and Thornaath were ahead of Aviva, his giant wings unwavering despite the injuries Aviva knew he had.

Again, the young Mirror wondered about his past and if he had been--or still was--a warrior of sorts. But maybe, it was just some natural ability that Guardians had to work through any amount of damage dealt to them. Aviva would have to ask later; there was a lot she didn't know about other dragons. I hardly know anything about Mirrors. How pathetic is that? she thought.

Thornaath's dark figure started to grow smaller, less visible. Putting more energy behind her wingbeats, Aviva hurried to keep up. Her back burned and her vision blurred. She focused on Thornaath's heat, trusting it not to fail despite the fog.

It grew thicker and Thornaath continued to grow smaller. "Hey? Thornaath?" Aviva's voice was absorbed by the fog. "Thornaath! Hey, wait!" The spot of heat that he gave off vanished. Aviva swallowed hard, mouth and throat running dry.

Hissing from pain, she frantically powered her wings, trying to catch up. Her wings faltered, muscles seizing and shooting fire into her back. Tumbling, she cried out and the fog consumed her voice, yielding no response.

She was going to hit the ground. Panic raced into her chest, strangling her lungs and electrifying her heart.

You've been here before.

Aviva sucked in a breath, shutting her eyes against the fog and what could only be the rushing ground. Her wings wouldn't obey her; she couldn't feel them anymore.

Lost--
FR +0 | Woman
Art | Thread
Sales
dVkftIl.png
x
x
x

Blancblack_egg.gif
hYhXXAs.png
x
x
x

tnRVw.png
ZFPkptJ.png
Entry Nine: Fog

He needed to climb higher, above the fog. Wind tugged at his wings like thick fingers. It was awkward to carry Dyzith, in part because he didn't know the best way to hold her. In another part, because the magic that ran through his veins sizzled and oozed with her close proximity. It bucked and twisted, writhing within the aura of her cursed nature.

Thornaath much preferred Aviva's. Hers was strange, certainly, but it did not aggravate.

The Guardian glanced down at Dyzith and the dark Mirror looked up in turn. She grinned at him, red eyes narrowing faintly. Thornaath frowned, shifting his gaze away. "Thornaath!" He jerked his head to the side, searching.

"Hearing things?" Dyzith questioned, concern noticeably lacking from her voice. He didn't respond to her, blue eyes scanning the fog around them. "Probably the echoes of memories, dear."

I am not your 'dear'. He left the thought unspoken. His pace slowed until Thornaath simply hovered in the air, wings back-beating. Something--

"What are you doing? We have to keep moving or else we'll become lost."

"Aviva is not with us." Thornaath's gaze flicked more rapidly. His heartbeat momentarily forgot its rhythm.

"What?" Dyzith shifted in his hold and he released her with little thought. "Well, where is she?"

"As if I know." However, he should. Aviva was his to protect as much as his Charge. Briefly, he wondered how Aviva might receive such confession; she seemed more timid than her Plague-born companion.

Dyzith growled something he didn't quite catch, wings working steadily. "I don't see her, not a trace of body heat. She's injured; I should have let you carry her first."

He didn't hear a single note of regret in her voice, only the undercurrents of anger and frustration. But Thornaath didn't know her well; her anger could just be a shield. "Get to the Rim--before your wings tire."

"Wai--"

"Now, Dyzith."

She jerked her head back, a scowl crossing her features. However, she obeyed and turned her back to him, hurrying in the direction they had been flying. Turning his focus away from the Mirror, he surged forward in surge of Aviva.

Great Ones. Help me find her. With Dyzith's magic no longer crowding his own, he could feel the feverish ache in his body once more. Fog clung to his scales. He couldn't trust his eyes, not in such low visibility, so he reached out with his senses as if he were in the Sea.

Memories, aged and crumbling like parchment in a forgotten library, began to murmur in his ears. You've been here before.

Have I? Then show me. The fog began to shift, silhouettes conjured into begin before they broke apart and reshaped themselves. He tried to remember. It was difficult to remember so many lifetimes.

Lost--

No. I do not accept that. Thornaath roared, magic blasting outward like a single pulse.

Something responded.

It hit him from the side, disrupting the rhythm of his wings and sending him into a roll. Leveling himself, Thornaath turned. The Imperial he killed wrapped its body around him, immobilizing massive wings. Thornaath snarled, snapping his teeth at anything he could reach. This is not real. This is only memory.

He struck the ground, grunting from the pain as he bounced once and rolled. The Imperial's claws found his wounds, gouging fresh trenches. Memory or not, Thornaath had to fight. A trial? So be it.

Lurching, Thornaath found diseased flesh to score with thick claws. Using his wings and tail, he at last managed to loosen the Imperial's hold and slip free, gaining better leverage in the process. Biting at the jugular and cutting off air supply was not going to work this time. A quick glance told him a more permanent solution was necessary.

But as he surged towards the dragon, it broke apart like the silhouettes from before, leaving him to close on empty space. Snorting, Thornaath shook himself and scanned the fog. A bone snapped under his clawed hand. Stretching his wings, he prepared to leap back into the sky.

In the distance, a green glow bloomed.
Entry Nine: Fog

He needed to climb higher, above the fog. Wind tugged at his wings like thick fingers. It was awkward to carry Dyzith, in part because he didn't know the best way to hold her. In another part, because the magic that ran through his veins sizzled and oozed with her close proximity. It bucked and twisted, writhing within the aura of her cursed nature.

Thornaath much preferred Aviva's. Hers was strange, certainly, but it did not aggravate.

The Guardian glanced down at Dyzith and the dark Mirror looked up in turn. She grinned at him, red eyes narrowing faintly. Thornaath frowned, shifting his gaze away. "Thornaath!" He jerked his head to the side, searching.

"Hearing things?" Dyzith questioned, concern noticeably lacking from her voice. He didn't respond to her, blue eyes scanning the fog around them. "Probably the echoes of memories, dear."

I am not your 'dear'. He left the thought unspoken. His pace slowed until Thornaath simply hovered in the air, wings back-beating. Something--

"What are you doing? We have to keep moving or else we'll become lost."

"Aviva is not with us." Thornaath's gaze flicked more rapidly. His heartbeat momentarily forgot its rhythm.

"What?" Dyzith shifted in his hold and he released her with little thought. "Well, where is she?"

"As if I know." However, he should. Aviva was his to protect as much as his Charge. Briefly, he wondered how Aviva might receive such confession; she seemed more timid than her Plague-born companion.

Dyzith growled something he didn't quite catch, wings working steadily. "I don't see her, not a trace of body heat. She's injured; I should have let you carry her first."

He didn't hear a single note of regret in her voice, only the undercurrents of anger and frustration. But Thornaath didn't know her well; her anger could just be a shield. "Get to the Rim--before your wings tire."

"Wai--"

"Now, Dyzith."

She jerked her head back, a scowl crossing her features. However, she obeyed and turned her back to him, hurrying in the direction they had been flying. Turning his focus away from the Mirror, he surged forward in surge of Aviva.

Great Ones. Help me find her. With Dyzith's magic no longer crowding his own, he could feel the feverish ache in his body once more. Fog clung to his scales. He couldn't trust his eyes, not in such low visibility, so he reached out with his senses as if he were in the Sea.

Memories, aged and crumbling like parchment in a forgotten library, began to murmur in his ears. You've been here before.

Have I? Then show me. The fog began to shift, silhouettes conjured into begin before they broke apart and reshaped themselves. He tried to remember. It was difficult to remember so many lifetimes.

Lost--

No. I do not accept that. Thornaath roared, magic blasting outward like a single pulse.

Something responded.

It hit him from the side, disrupting the rhythm of his wings and sending him into a roll. Leveling himself, Thornaath turned. The Imperial he killed wrapped its body around him, immobilizing massive wings. Thornaath snarled, snapping his teeth at anything he could reach. This is not real. This is only memory.

He struck the ground, grunting from the pain as he bounced once and rolled. The Imperial's claws found his wounds, gouging fresh trenches. Memory or not, Thornaath had to fight. A trial? So be it.

Lurching, Thornaath found diseased flesh to score with thick claws. Using his wings and tail, he at last managed to loosen the Imperial's hold and slip free, gaining better leverage in the process. Biting at the jugular and cutting off air supply was not going to work this time. A quick glance told him a more permanent solution was necessary.

But as he surged towards the dragon, it broke apart like the silhouettes from before, leaving him to close on empty space. Snorting, Thornaath shook himself and scanned the fog. A bone snapped under his clawed hand. Stretching his wings, he prepared to leap back into the sky.

In the distance, a green glow bloomed.
FR +0 | Woman
Art | Thread
Sales
dVkftIl.png
x
x
x

Blancblack_egg.gif
hYhXXAs.png
x