Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Pinglists & More
1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 73 74
[quote name="888" date="2023-10-26 10:47:45" ] But I'm asking for understanding, for me and the thousands of users who rely on mass pings and will continue to do so far into the future. [/quote] @888, we do understand. That's why we didn't launch with a ping-cap already implemented. That's why there's an open-ended (no hard date set) transition period between Pinglist feature and the cap. We're balancing a lot of needs with pinglists, with privacy, security, and safety as priority and as demanded by players in both the Suggestions Forums and in tickets. Many, [i]many[/i] tickets. We are aware that there are exceptions to the standard and individual use cases, and we're going to need that player use and feedback to hit the sweet spot.
888 wrote on 2023-10-26 10:47:45:
But I'm asking for understanding, for me and the thousands of users who rely on mass pings and will continue to do so far into the future.

@888, we do understand. That's why we didn't launch with a ping-cap already implemented. That's why there's an open-ended (no hard date set) transition period between Pinglist feature and the cap. We're balancing a lot of needs with pinglists, with privacy, security, and safety as priority and as demanded by players in both the Suggestions Forums and in tickets. Many, many tickets.

We are aware that there are exceptions to the standard and individual use cases, and we're going to need that player use and feedback to hit the sweet spot.
watching the pvp updates since they teased it, completely understandable you guys are working hard and we know it! keep it up!!!

if I went on forums more id be so stoked for that ping list smh, but hey I've been dying to make skins for ages so this might make it a bit easier for me to grasp haha
very excited
watching the pvp updates since they teased it, completely understandable you guys are working hard and we know it! keep it up!!!

if I went on forums more id be so stoked for that ping list smh, but hey I've been dying to make skins for ages so this might make it a bit easier for me to grasp haha
very excited
uMxHF7g.png
yMIyxYl.png
J74TxJz.pngApGammr.pngCpGkQ4K.pngZK1PTgS.png
jtJi4zA.pnge8SAWsa.pnge8SAWsa.pnge8SAWsa.pnge8SAWsa.png
A3L5B4e.pngkFw6KP5.png9vcebAv.pngj1AKFqe.pngg6kV50o.png
7dsqZbE.png

oh my god these QOL improvements sound AMAZING!! Very excited for everything to be implimented haha
oh my god these QOL improvements sound AMAZING!! Very excited for everything to be implimented haha
cd49yeB.png

SOAPY | THEY/THEM | +8 FR TIME
uBrBqTm.png
Very excited to see pinglists integrated into the site as I like to keep all my stuff as on-site as possible (I am recalcitrant even to be in Discord servers!), but I'm not a huge fan about removing the ability to mass ping wholesale, seeing as the ping list system as it's proposed does have a great deal less versatility compared to, for example, the ping list google sheet that I have for my hatchery.

Currently, with the way my google sheet is set up, I have a ping list for every breeding pair in my hatchery. Within those ping lists, I can label each individual with whether they only want pings for male dragons, certain species, certain color ranges, etc. The way that ping lists work on-site just pings everyone within a specific lists and doesn't allow me to remove certain names (for example, people who only want male hatchlings when I hatched a female-only nest) prior to pinging, and it would be super unreasonable to then triple or quadruple the number of ping lists I have to differentiate between people who want pings for Glowlight Corpse vs Glowlight Corpse (female only).

There are also lots of ping lists currently maintained that are meant to be usable by multiple people, so the functionality of those services (coli training, dom efforts, baldwin services, etc, etc, there are MANY) would be completely destroyed if only the owner of a ping list could ping it.

I love being able to do things on-site, but I don't like being forced to do things on-site when the on-site version has reduced functionality... I think as-is the ping list feature needs to be improved.
Very excited to see pinglists integrated into the site as I like to keep all my stuff as on-site as possible (I am recalcitrant even to be in Discord servers!), but I'm not a huge fan about removing the ability to mass ping wholesale, seeing as the ping list system as it's proposed does have a great deal less versatility compared to, for example, the ping list google sheet that I have for my hatchery.

Currently, with the way my google sheet is set up, I have a ping list for every breeding pair in my hatchery. Within those ping lists, I can label each individual with whether they only want pings for male dragons, certain species, certain color ranges, etc. The way that ping lists work on-site just pings everyone within a specific lists and doesn't allow me to remove certain names (for example, people who only want male hatchlings when I hatched a female-only nest) prior to pinging, and it would be super unreasonable to then triple or quadruple the number of ping lists I have to differentiate between people who want pings for Glowlight Corpse vs Glowlight Corpse (female only).

There are also lots of ping lists currently maintained that are meant to be usable by multiple people, so the functionality of those services (coli training, dom efforts, baldwin services, etc, etc, there are MANY) would be completely destroyed if only the owner of a ping list could ping it.

I love being able to do things on-site, but I don't like being forced to do things on-site when the on-site version has reduced functionality... I think as-is the ping list feature needs to be improved.
npUP8G8.png

Liesmith
> dawning hatchery
> profile dragon

LxswJzX.png
I’m part of both the GASP pinglist and the g1 list, so while I am slightly concerned, I don’t see any reason for panic. Based on staff actions in the past, I believe a solution will be implemented that is both fair and takes into account player concerns. I am excited for a new pinglist option, since I’ve seen players and artists be negatively affected by people being signed up for skin runs without their consent for harassment purposes. I’m thankful for the implementation of both options being available and I’m curious to see how things will play out on a long term scale.
I’m part of both the GASP pinglist and the g1 list, so while I am slightly concerned, I don’t see any reason for panic. Based on staff actions in the past, I believe a solution will be implemented that is both fair and takes into account player concerns. I am excited for a new pinglist option, since I’ve seen players and artists be negatively affected by people being signed up for skin runs without their consent for harassment purposes. I’m thankful for the implementation of both options being available and I’m curious to see how things will play out on a long term scale.
Untitled47-20231219225403.png
FObX7rS.png5hF3FGk.png
fDSaoY3.pngNN9NPXA.pngtqGkHih.png
Untitled48-20231219225437.png
I love the updates about the custom skin/accent system as it's something to look forward to as a future custom skin creator!

However, I agree with the sentiment of many other people on this forum, where the possibility of a limited mass ping in forums seems like a pretty bad idea, especially since many people who currently make use of these mass pinglists are not the original owner (and in some cases, these original owners may be inactive and these pinglists are only kept going by other people adding/removing themselves onto them and other people using them for sales).

As an artist who has been doing art sales on this site, I can say for sure that the Art & Writing Dragon Sales pinglist spreadsheet has been a godsend for getting other people to look at my art, where otherwise it'd be difficult to stand out among a list of forum titles that all look the same after a while. For this community alone, this spreadsheet has half a dozen tabs, each of them having dozens of different lists to add yourself to, such as specific breeds, auctions, flat sales, and many others. The longest pinglist alone has almost 250 people, and that's not counting all the others who aren't in the most general pinglist. And this is just one small part of one community that heavily utilizes pinglists. I for sure don't know all of them, but just listing off the top of my head, I know these communities also all have heavily organized pinglists that mainly take place on spreadsheets: G1 Sales, Special ID Hunters, XXX Sales, GASP, Old Oaks

So while the overall new pinglist mechanic is nice in theory, the fact that the community relies so heavily on outside pinglists and mass pings for art, custom skins/accents, and dragon sales makes the possible removal of mass pings that are more than 12 people a little scary.
I love the updates about the custom skin/accent system as it's something to look forward to as a future custom skin creator!

However, I agree with the sentiment of many other people on this forum, where the possibility of a limited mass ping in forums seems like a pretty bad idea, especially since many people who currently make use of these mass pinglists are not the original owner (and in some cases, these original owners may be inactive and these pinglists are only kept going by other people adding/removing themselves onto them and other people using them for sales).

As an artist who has been doing art sales on this site, I can say for sure that the Art & Writing Dragon Sales pinglist spreadsheet has been a godsend for getting other people to look at my art, where otherwise it'd be difficult to stand out among a list of forum titles that all look the same after a while. For this community alone, this spreadsheet has half a dozen tabs, each of them having dozens of different lists to add yourself to, such as specific breeds, auctions, flat sales, and many others. The longest pinglist alone has almost 250 people, and that's not counting all the others who aren't in the most general pinglist. And this is just one small part of one community that heavily utilizes pinglists. I for sure don't know all of them, but just listing off the top of my head, I know these communities also all have heavily organized pinglists that mainly take place on spreadsheets: G1 Sales, Special ID Hunters, XXX Sales, GASP, Old Oaks

So while the overall new pinglist mechanic is nice in theory, the fact that the community relies so heavily on outside pinglists and mass pings for art, custom skins/accents, and dragon sales makes the possible removal of mass pings that are more than 12 people a little scary.
OIUN2Fc.png eoeoeo eoeoeo rAns2Aq.png

Cool!
Cool!
mlHpBMC.png
dT9HQge.png
WQA384m.png
BzjAkuF.png
oouioVf.png
NQvcoP6.png
I love the idea of on-site pinglists - but as mentioned above I would also like to have the option for "public" and "private" pinglists? There are a lot of things that are community organized - like the Flash Sale, G1s/Oldies/GASP, that only work if multiple people have access to the list.
I love the idea of on-site pinglists - but as mentioned above I would also like to have the option for "public" and "private" pinglists? There are a lot of things that are community organized - like the Flash Sale, G1s/Oldies/GASP, that only work if multiple people have access to the list.
leWQTdB.png5hF3FGk.png
Wait, Dragonmeet's still on the table? Incredible! Hopefully a Skin tagging system will become easier to implement once this new Skin submission/reprinting UI is in place!
Wait, Dragonmeet's still on the table? Incredible! Hopefully a Skin tagging system will become easier to implement once this new Skin submission/reprinting UI is in place!
Water Runestone WishlistFlairotlsFTU Bio GeneratorWant Prismatic Tokens?
Forum pings and PMs welcome.
Most of lair is in HibDen and open for forum games.
This Water Runestone is the most decoration this signature has ever had. I know, it scares me too.
SUPER excited for the new skin/accent submission system, I imagine this will take a huge toll off the dev team responsible for reviewing submissions. Win-win for everyone!
SUPER excited for the new skin/accent submission system, I imagine this will take a huge toll off the dev team responsible for reviewing submissions. Win-win for everyone!
look ma first skins -->
1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 73 74