Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | the appeal(or lack of) of g1s for you?
1 2 3 4 5 6
When I was younger, I used to have mainly a bunch of impulse buy pretty hatchery babies that I maybe threw a handful of apparel and a matching (empty) bio code on. I came back, and as an adult exalted a bunch of those dragons. I like G1s because they pose a challenge and now that I can earn money it's actually fun to save up for a month or two to fully gem gene and buy apparel for a pretty XYZ dragon. [emoji=fae happy size=1] edit: also, as someone who can't have expensive things irl, it's fun to have valuable ones in game that don't relate to any real bank account.
When I was younger, I used to have mainly a bunch of impulse buy pretty hatchery babies that I maybe threw a handful of apparel and a matching (empty) bio code on. I came back, and as an adult exalted a bunch of those dragons. I like G1s because they pose a challenge and now that I can earn money it's actually fun to save up for a month or two to fully gem gene and buy apparel for a pretty XYZ dragon.

edit: also, as someone who can't have expensive things irl, it's fun to have valuable ones in game that don't relate to any real bank account.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

bailey
she/her
+0 fr time
x4QiZEg.png
honestly, for me there's not really any deeper reason than "i think they're neat," same as why i buy or breed for any other dragon. they're just neat in a slightly different way that's also appealing for it's own reasons

i don't care about none/none. if anything it bothers me to see "First Generation" next to "Parent 1, Parent 2" when mousing over my dragons because it feels like it stands out too much
no offspring doesn't matter either, i'll breed them anyways if i feel like - even if they cost me thousands of gems or are a double
any dragon can come in neat color combos, especially from really wide range pairs, and any dragon can be regened from scratch for that satisfying "completed project" feel. any dragon can also be a totally 1 of a kind dragon in terms of color, regardless of generation
they just don't really hold inherent value to me for those reasons, since they're not factors i care for

it really is just... i think they're fun
the first ones i hatched just to commemorate special days, but now it's kinda developed into aiming for certain challenges
aethers introduced me to how fun it is to gene up some g1s from scratch, breed them, and see what disgusting (affectionate) offspring come out, so naturally i decided it'd be really fun to do that same thing with sandsurges AND give them lore while i was at it. most of the recent g1s i bought are likely going to be involved with that project, but in the process it's also introduced me to other g1s that after scrying them, i got a few lore ideas for them and wanted to get them for that reason
also the fact that mass-hatches are possible because of unhatched eggs is really fun and not something that can be replicated with g2+s

i don't like having dragons who have no other purpose than to sit around looking pretty. it gives me really bad anxiety for some reason. so for me to want a g1, they've either got to be SO pretty and cool that i can't pass them up, or they should ideally have a place in a lore project, breeding project, or commemorate a special date. if they're really pretty and they have a spot in lore and have a suitable breeding partner? that's even better
some day i may have some whose only purpose is to sit around so i can show them off like "look at this weird and strange little creature. isn't it so weird and strange and can you believe that it exists and even works?" but i don't quite have any who fit that yet

i think there's also something about g1s, especially triple basics, that can really invite exploration for a lot of people. even though the scrying workshop is right there, and any dragon can be regened, g1s have a vibe that invites you to come see how cool they could be, and then have the dragon right there for you to make it real too
it's appealing in a "spur of the moment creativity" kind of way to me, rather than a "meticulously planned and patiently waited for" kind of way that breeding projects are. both are great, but it also depends on what you prioritize and what brings you joy
honestly, for me there's not really any deeper reason than "i think they're neat," same as why i buy or breed for any other dragon. they're just neat in a slightly different way that's also appealing for it's own reasons

i don't care about none/none. if anything it bothers me to see "First Generation" next to "Parent 1, Parent 2" when mousing over my dragons because it feels like it stands out too much
no offspring doesn't matter either, i'll breed them anyways if i feel like - even if they cost me thousands of gems or are a double
any dragon can come in neat color combos, especially from really wide range pairs, and any dragon can be regened from scratch for that satisfying "completed project" feel. any dragon can also be a totally 1 of a kind dragon in terms of color, regardless of generation
they just don't really hold inherent value to me for those reasons, since they're not factors i care for

it really is just... i think they're fun
the first ones i hatched just to commemorate special days, but now it's kinda developed into aiming for certain challenges
aethers introduced me to how fun it is to gene up some g1s from scratch, breed them, and see what disgusting (affectionate) offspring come out, so naturally i decided it'd be really fun to do that same thing with sandsurges AND give them lore while i was at it. most of the recent g1s i bought are likely going to be involved with that project, but in the process it's also introduced me to other g1s that after scrying them, i got a few lore ideas for them and wanted to get them for that reason
also the fact that mass-hatches are possible because of unhatched eggs is really fun and not something that can be replicated with g2+s

i don't like having dragons who have no other purpose than to sit around looking pretty. it gives me really bad anxiety for some reason. so for me to want a g1, they've either got to be SO pretty and cool that i can't pass them up, or they should ideally have a place in a lore project, breeding project, or commemorate a special date. if they're really pretty and they have a spot in lore and have a suitable breeding partner? that's even better
some day i may have some whose only purpose is to sit around so i can show them off like "look at this weird and strange little creature. isn't it so weird and strange and can you believe that it exists and even works?" but i don't quite have any who fit that yet

i think there's also something about g1s, especially triple basics, that can really invite exploration for a lot of people. even though the scrying workshop is right there, and any dragon can be regened, g1s have a vibe that invites you to come see how cool they could be, and then have the dragon right there for you to make it real too
it's appealing in a "spur of the moment creativity" kind of way to me, rather than a "meticulously planned and patiently waited for" kind of way that breeding projects are. both are great, but it also depends on what you prioritize and what brings you joy
Nonbinary
Trans Masculine
Xenogender

Avatar Dragon. The button is linked to my current avatar dragon.
For sale. The button is linked to my dragon sales lair tab.
limes, benrey, or belial || they/them & neos

fr time but im on at really weird hours sometimes
very anxious, so forum activity is sporadic at best
for my dragons - pose =/= pronouns. please use they/them for any of them unless otherwise specified
I'm largely a g1 lair (though I'm not adverse to grabbing a pretty imp now and then), and there's a few reasons why I prefer g1s!

I'm very particular about my lore. In a way that made past lore with g2s a hassle to deal with. There were so many times where I'd want a canonical and biological child for a lore dragon, but the colors/looks I had in mind were basically impossible to get (e.g wanting a xxy white/whatever dragon with a xxx abyss or something-similar child). I know I could just get another dragon and say that they're related, but the rats in my brain simply couldn't get that idea to stick.
With g1s, I don't have to worry about familial relationships at ALL. "none" is so much easier to ignore than random entirely unrelated dragons.

The challenge that comes with scrying a completely random assortment of colors is just always so fun. Taking colors that wouldn't really work together normally and/or colors that aren't used often and making a stunning dragon out of them makes my brain release the happy chemicals.
The vast majority of my g1s came entirely ungened, so there's also a bit of "I made this :}" pride mixed in there.

I also just got so tired of breeding projects. I had so many dreamie scries that never went anywhere because the colors didn't exist and/or would require thousands of gems of geneing and multiple months of breeding to get to. Getting the 20th project fail after half a year just murdered my passion for "that perfect dragon". Double pain when I couldn't swap for better parents because of the issue from paragraph 1.

Also, hovering over my dragons and seeing the big ol' red bold letters that say "First Generation" is the equivalent to dangling car keys over a baby for me. I am easily enamored by things.

Sorry for the ramble! I just love my drags a ton and I love sharing why :}
I'm largely a g1 lair (though I'm not adverse to grabbing a pretty imp now and then), and there's a few reasons why I prefer g1s!

I'm very particular about my lore. In a way that made past lore with g2s a hassle to deal with. There were so many times where I'd want a canonical and biological child for a lore dragon, but the colors/looks I had in mind were basically impossible to get (e.g wanting a xxy white/whatever dragon with a xxx abyss or something-similar child). I know I could just get another dragon and say that they're related, but the rats in my brain simply couldn't get that idea to stick.
With g1s, I don't have to worry about familial relationships at ALL. "none" is so much easier to ignore than random entirely unrelated dragons.

The challenge that comes with scrying a completely random assortment of colors is just always so fun. Taking colors that wouldn't really work together normally and/or colors that aren't used often and making a stunning dragon out of them makes my brain release the happy chemicals.
The vast majority of my g1s came entirely ungened, so there's also a bit of "I made this :}" pride mixed in there.

I also just got so tired of breeding projects. I had so many dreamie scries that never went anywhere because the colors didn't exist and/or would require thousands of gems of geneing and multiple months of breeding to get to. Getting the 20th project fail after half a year just murdered my passion for "that perfect dragon". Double pain when I couldn't swap for better parents because of the issue from paragraph 1.

Also, hovering over my dragons and seeing the big ol' red bold letters that say "First Generation" is the equivalent to dangling car keys over a baby for me. I am easily enamored by things.

Sorry for the ramble! I just love my drags a ton and I love sharing why :}
4T0426g.png ~~~ Dragon Training

LF UMAs

I think I just like the potential of making a death-,,,, exalt row dragon a permanent installment in a lair with just a little bit of TLC way more endearing than hunting for a brand new hathcling to gene from scratch.

But I'm also too greedy to gene so many dragons and I like gene breeds-genes too much to be stuck with a bunch of treasure gene "projects"
I think I just like the potential of making a death-,,,, exalt row dragon a permanent installment in a lair with just a little bit of TLC way more endearing than hunting for a brand new hathcling to gene from scratch.

But I'm also too greedy to gene so many dragons and I like gene breeds-genes too much to be stuck with a bunch of treasure gene "projects"
[quote name="Achaius" date="2023-10-04 19:14:37" ] [quote name="@Gymnopaedy" date="2023-10-04 17:46:14" ] The big turn-off for G1s for me is the pricetag! I'm pretty casual about FR so $$$$ is hard to come by lol, and when I get treasure/gems I'd much rather spend them on lair expansions and smaller, more manageable projects. BUT that being SAID whenever FR gives us free babies.....!!! I think I only have one G1 in my lair that isn't a progen lol... orz [/quote] (But geneing them up is the big expense lol) [/quote] Kekekeke bingo! I absolutely LUUUURVE a beautiful XYZ but then when I scry that Soap tert I feel sadness :')
Achaius wrote on 2023-10-04 19:14:37:
@Gymnopaedy wrote on 2023-10-04 17:46:14:
The big turn-off for G1s for me is the pricetag! I'm pretty casual about FR so $$$$ is hard to come by lol, and when I get treasure/gems I'd much rather spend them on lair expansions and smaller, more manageable projects. BUT that being SAID whenever FR gives us free babies.....!!!

I think I only have one G1 in my lair that isn't a progen lol... orz

(But geneing them up is the big expense lol)

Kekekeke bingo! I absolutely LUUUURVE a beautiful XYZ but then when I scry that Soap tert I feel sadness :')
nC079FU.gif
FObX7rS.png
TO5f5vS.png
QUIpVFE.png
Al1BEGR.png
b1d9d7038ed5f6df160810683bbdaaad19236e65.png
I guess I'll chime in as the opposition! I don't have any G1s, and I don't really care to start collecting them, even ten years into the game. Personally, the naming aspect has never been a factor to me- hell, I exalted two of my progens' first clutch Unnamed. If I was going to start caring about wonky offspring or parent lists, I think I'd be very upset with myself for that "mistake" on a daily basis. As is, it's just a funny memory of a silly little noob! I'm also not a lore lair, so the idea of other people having influence or history with my dragons is another non-issue. Mainly though, I've just always enjoyed breeding projects! I'm extremely particular about my permas, I love playing around in the scrying workshop to design the exactly perfect dragon- and more often than not I have to breed for the exact colour combo and gene them up from scratch. It's a similar experience to G1 collectors I'm sure, but I'm more of a "take destiny by the reins" kind of gal. Like, my most recent dream dragon was Peridot/White/Honeydew. All the other dragons with that combo were exalted, and none of them had the right eye colour anyway! So I had to find parents and breed for increasingly narrow ranges until I got lucky. If I were a G1 collector, I could be sitting around waiting forever for that hatch to randomly come into existence, and even then it's not a guarantee I'd get it- what if the owner doesn't sell? Regarding the inherent prestige of G1 lairs- wellllllll not to be too coy about it, but I guess I get to be snobby and say my bragging rights come from other aspects of gameplay! [emoji=coatl winking size=1]
I guess I'll chime in as the opposition!

I don't have any G1s, and I don't really care to start collecting them, even ten years into the game.

Personally, the naming aspect has never been a factor to me- hell, I exalted two of my progens' first clutch Unnamed. If I was going to start caring about wonky offspring or parent lists, I think I'd be very upset with myself for that "mistake" on a daily basis. As is, it's just a funny memory of a silly little noob!

I'm also not a lore lair, so the idea of other people having influence or history with my dragons is another non-issue.

Mainly though, I've just always enjoyed breeding projects! I'm extremely particular about my permas, I love playing around in the scrying workshop to design the exactly perfect dragon- and more often than not I have to breed for the exact colour combo and gene them up from scratch. It's a similar experience to G1 collectors I'm sure, but I'm more of a "take destiny by the reins" kind of gal.

Like, my most recent dream dragon was Peridot/White/Honeydew. All the other dragons with that combo were exalted, and none of them had the right eye colour anyway! So I had to find parents and breed for increasingly narrow ranges until I got lucky. If I were a G1 collector, I could be sitting around waiting forever for that hatch to randomly come into existence, and even then it's not a guarantee I'd get it- what if the owner doesn't sell?

Regarding the inherent prestige of G1 lairs- wellllllll not to be too coy about it, but I guess I get to be snobby and say my bragging rights come from other aspects of gameplay!
M i s s A r i #29593
windie at heart | familiar collector | master of trades
A pixel adoptable of an Aqua/Rose Skydancer from Wind flight. She is wearing pearly jewellery and pink arm silks.
For me, I enjoy G1 and G2+ dragons equally, and for different reasons.

It took me a while to warm up to G1s, as I don't particularly care about the "status" aspect, and found the rigid expectations around collecting them and what makes certain dragons "better" to be off-putting. Over time, I really came to appreciate them and enjoy the project aspect of them! Once you reach a certain point in the game, there's a natural need to build in some challenges to keep things interesting (and to keep lair space manageable), so G1 gene projects can really fill that niche.

For me, I enjoy G1s as projects where I don't have to worry about gene rarity like I would for a breeding pair. Genes with bold accent colors and low rarity (like Fade/Blend) are fantastic for G1s, whereas they can be a nightmare for breeding consistently pretty dragons with any decent spread in their color range. G1s get to exist as a display piece, really, and they encourage me to be more experimental in the genes and colors I use. I also like the satisfaction from making unusual color combos work with just the right gene/outfit/accent combo. Having an active G1 community on FR is a nice bonus, too.

For G2+, I love building breeding pairs and getting to spread gorgeous combos to others. Breeding projects to bring colors that never existed before on FR are so very satisfying too. But even just putting together a pair that I know I'll never make a profit on, but still allows me to share dragons with others? It's such a nice experience. Developing subspecies is another great thing to do with G2+. I also really like the lineage aspect, and tracking down relatives of my dragons. Seeing where those connections go can be a lot of fun.

To me, collecting oldies (6-digits and older) combines what I love about both G1s and G2+. You get the gene project aspect of a G1 with the lineage and history that you can get from G2+ dragons, so it's the best (and worst) of both worlds!

In the end of the day, the important thing is to find a playstyle that is rewarding to you, regardless of what others may think is optimal. Mix playstyles at will, toss your lore in a blender, etc.
For me, I enjoy G1 and G2+ dragons equally, and for different reasons.

It took me a while to warm up to G1s, as I don't particularly care about the "status" aspect, and found the rigid expectations around collecting them and what makes certain dragons "better" to be off-putting. Over time, I really came to appreciate them and enjoy the project aspect of them! Once you reach a certain point in the game, there's a natural need to build in some challenges to keep things interesting (and to keep lair space manageable), so G1 gene projects can really fill that niche.

For me, I enjoy G1s as projects where I don't have to worry about gene rarity like I would for a breeding pair. Genes with bold accent colors and low rarity (like Fade/Blend) are fantastic for G1s, whereas they can be a nightmare for breeding consistently pretty dragons with any decent spread in their color range. G1s get to exist as a display piece, really, and they encourage me to be more experimental in the genes and colors I use. I also like the satisfaction from making unusual color combos work with just the right gene/outfit/accent combo. Having an active G1 community on FR is a nice bonus, too.

For G2+, I love building breeding pairs and getting to spread gorgeous combos to others. Breeding projects to bring colors that never existed before on FR are so very satisfying too. But even just putting together a pair that I know I'll never make a profit on, but still allows me to share dragons with others? It's such a nice experience. Developing subspecies is another great thing to do with G2+. I also really like the lineage aspect, and tracking down relatives of my dragons. Seeing where those connections go can be a lot of fun.

To me, collecting oldies (6-digits and older) combines what I love about both G1s and G2+. You get the gene project aspect of a G1 with the lineage and history that you can get from G2+ dragons, so it's the best (and worst) of both worlds!

In the end of the day, the important thing is to find a playstyle that is rewarding to you, regardless of what others may think is optimal. Mix playstyles at will, toss your lore in a blender, etc.
Divider by dreamingcity _Pixel of Cathartes by Quintillion_ ____
Divider by dreamingcity
_
vortexbreakdown
Lightning Dom Lead
FR+2 | she/her
wishlist | lore | avatar

______Trinket bottle by Amariel
I actually really love seeing the history in my G2+ dragons! One of my favorites is a guy who's 3+ years old with an offspring list a mile long. I like being able to click through his ancestors or descendants to see how they're doing - it's a fun way for me to feel connected with other players, and thinking about where this dragon has been only to end up in my lair is a lot of fun.

The way I see it, I can gene up a G2 dragon just as easily as a G1 if I'm looking for a project. I also tend to scry up weird color combos, so breeding projects are the only realistic option at that point. I will admit that seeing a fully dressed and gened G1 is very impressive, though!
I actually really love seeing the history in my G2+ dragons! One of my favorites is a guy who's 3+ years old with an offspring list a mile long. I like being able to click through his ancestors or descendants to see how they're doing - it's a fun way for me to feel connected with other players, and thinking about where this dragon has been only to end up in my lair is a lot of fun.

The way I see it, I can gene up a G2 dragon just as easily as a G1 if I'm looking for a project. I also tend to scry up weird color combos, so breeding projects are the only realistic option at that point. I will admit that seeing a fully dressed and gened G1 is very impressive, though!
FR time + 3
they/it
wishlist
______ flashing background warning
I love the challenge of gen1s. My lair is mostly bred gem gene dragons, but gen1s make me actually use non-gem genes. I also just love finding the combo of genes that make a dragon with funky colors work. Most of my gen1s probably look very ugly when thinking of the color combos in a basic sense, but I find something to make them all work together. It's a lot of fun!
I love the challenge of gen1s. My lair is mostly bred gem gene dragons, but gen1s make me actually use non-gem genes. I also just love finding the combo of genes that make a dragon with funky colors work. Most of my gen1s probably look very ugly when thinking of the color combos in a basic sense, but I find something to make them all work together. It's a lot of fun!
Hail Derek and hope for the best!
C41-B82-D4-74-CF-41-F7-82-B0-DDEF5-B909503.gif C41-B82-D4-74-CF-41-F7-82-B0-DDEF5-B909503.gif C41-B82-D4-74-CF-41-F7-82-B0-DDEF5-B909503.gif
[quote name="vihuff" date="2023-10-04 16:33:34" ] I like the whole starting from scratch thing and making an XYZ nice and matchy. There's just a sense of accomplishment there. And I don't do it for other dragons because it just doesn't feel the same. Other dragons can be basic sure but their colors can be bred for and aren't truly random like a G1. G1s have something them makes them a bit different while most dragons are fairly interchangeable. I also do like the clean lists but it's also a bit of value and trophy factor. It gives more of a sense of accomplishment like being able to line up trophies on a shelf. After completing a project it feels like I've been rewarded or won something. Idk if that makes sense. [/quote] [color=412924][size=4][font=cambria]Pretty much ^^^
vihuff wrote on 2023-10-04 16:33:34:
I like the whole starting from scratch thing and making an XYZ nice and matchy. There's just a sense of accomplishment there. And I don't do it for other dragons because it just doesn't feel the same. Other dragons can be basic sure but their colors can be bred for and aren't truly random like a G1. G1s have something them makes them a bit different while most dragons are fairly interchangeable. I also do like the clean lists but it's also a bit of value and trophy factor. It gives more of a sense of accomplishment like being able to line up trophies on a shelf. After completing a project it feels like I've been rewarded or won something. Idk if that makes sense.
Pretty much ^^^
UDy41Fx.png
1 2 3 4 5 6