Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Accessibility
1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
[quote name="bakugames" date="2023-08-25 20:09:43" ] @krondar I use simple dark redux for firefox, it works really well. You need to use stylus for it, but its super easy to install [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/526056693046575115/1144830969443004538/image.png[/img] [/quote] Chrome has a similar extension, it’s nice.
bakugames wrote on 2023-08-25 20:09:43:
@krondar

I use simple dark redux for firefox, it works really well. You need to use stylus for it, but its super easy to install
image.png
Chrome has a similar extension, it’s nice.
@PhoenixAshes
The hoard and vault have had search bars for years - click the magnifying glass to the left of the tab buttons
@PhoenixAshes
The hoard and vault have had search bars for years - click the magnifying glass to the left of the tab buttons
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
Fantastic!
Fantastic!
Dark mode acknowledged!!! Let's goooo, my migraine-having photosensitive self will be saved \o/

But seriously, thank you guys for all the work you put into this website. Especially on the accessibility front.
Dark mode acknowledged!!! Let's goooo, my migraine-having photosensitive self will be saved \o/

But seriously, thank you guys for all the work you put into this website. Especially on the accessibility front.
Ly | It/its | FRT+ 0 | 22
Art shop
I am so glad to hear there'll be a dark mode!
I am so glad to hear there'll be a dark mode!
60Avnmu.png
QgilwX7.png Looking for colors or near miss:
—Mantis/Peacock/Peridot
—Ginger/Auburn/Sanguine
—Cerulean/Teal/Ice
—Periwinkle/Plum/Fuschia
Yay this is exciting!
Yay this is exciting!
NFJCNCS.gif UBaiWUV.png
bYt72YT.png
rUoKR6y.png
YMPbu9R.png
BY1bl09.png ZFAfDzf.png eVSz2yG.png
dark mode will be so nice!! thank you devs for your hard work on making the site more accessible [emoji=familiar heart size=1]
dark mode will be so nice!! thank you devs for your hard work on making the site more accessible
FRCPsZL.png
eon -- they/them • frt+3

formerly Marge
pixel - Stormdragon

accentsartdoodlessidha
cant wait for the dark mode!! :O
cant wait for the dark mode!! :O
ZBR4StZ.png
-

memtro

fr+3
play UNBEATABLE [white label]
splatoon & twewy enjoyer

word soccer
[quote name="Nekroba" date="2023-08-25 19:52:02" ] @krondar I find that a bit hard to believe. Do you stare at a screen in an otherwise dark room? Because if so, of course it's causing issues. Dark modes are actually proven to be more harmful than not for people like me, who actually have astigmatism, so I have problems perceiving it as anything that actually helps anyone, instead of just a trendy thing for people who want to use their devices in a dark room. I can only hope that in pursuit of a 'dark mode', they don't decide to fiddle with the site default, or set it as default on mobile, where I sometimes play. Reddit having dark mode as the default if my device is in power saving mode hurts me. [/quote] [quote name="Nekroba" date="2023-08-25 21:16:31" ] [quote name="Werepunk" date="2023-08-25 20:31:57" ] No doubt dark mode will come with a toggle. If it bothers you, simply don't use it. [/quote] Again, I can only hope that this is the case. Lots of things on my mobile phone in power saver mode default to dark mode with no option to change it. And, as I guessed as much, someone has already provided your friend with a solution to their problem without FR having to do a thing, so again, why make something if it's not needed. [/quote] It's important to remember that everyone has a unique experience of the world, and where some things are helpful to you they can be harmful to others, and vice-versa. Dark mode is incredibly good for some people - e.g. I am autistic and suffer with migraines (I [i]also[/i] have astigmatism), so I usually default to dark mode where I can as it both helps to reduce sensory overload for me and makes sites easier to use without triggering/worsening a migraine (sometimes I don't realise I'm getting one until it gets particularly bad). It's also useful if you can only use the site late at night, as it's less likely to trick your brain into thinking it's light out. Features like this are [i]guaranteed[/i] to come with a toggle - FR won't just throw away all of their old themes just like that, that would just be silly, and to insist otherwise is just to force unnecessary drama. A site shouldn't rely on extensions to fix what is for plenty of people a genuine accessibility option, and even if it's overdue that's no reason it shouldn't be implemented. Your attitude towards this is coming off as very un-empathetic and self-focused for a feature you will be able to avoid completely.
Nekroba wrote on 2023-08-25 19:52:02:
@krondar I find that a bit hard to believe. Do you stare at a screen in an otherwise dark room? Because if so, of course it's causing issues.
Dark modes are actually proven to be more harmful than not for people like me, who actually have astigmatism, so I have problems perceiving it as anything that actually helps anyone, instead of just a trendy thing for people who want to use their devices in a dark room.

I can only hope that in pursuit of a 'dark mode', they don't decide to fiddle with the site default, or set it as default on mobile, where I sometimes play. Reddit having dark mode as the default if my device is in power saving mode hurts me.
Nekroba wrote on 2023-08-25 21:16:31:
Werepunk wrote on 2023-08-25 20:31:57:
No doubt dark mode will come with a toggle. If it bothers you, simply don't use it.

Again, I can only hope that this is the case. Lots of things on my mobile phone in power saver mode default to dark mode with no option to change it.

And, as I guessed as much, someone has already provided your friend with a solution to their problem without FR having to do a thing, so again, why make something if it's not needed.

It's important to remember that everyone has a unique experience of the world, and where some things are helpful to you they can be harmful to others, and vice-versa. Dark mode is incredibly good for some people - e.g. I am autistic and suffer with migraines (I also have astigmatism), so I usually default to dark mode where I can as it both helps to reduce sensory overload for me and makes sites easier to use without triggering/worsening a migraine (sometimes I don't realise I'm getting one until it gets particularly bad). It's also useful if you can only use the site late at night, as it's less likely to trick your brain into thinking it's light out.

Features like this are guaranteed to come with a toggle - FR won't just throw away all of their old themes just like that, that would just be silly, and to insist otherwise is just to force unnecessary drama. A site shouldn't rely on extensions to fix what is for plenty of people a genuine accessibility option, and even if it's overdue that's no reason it shouldn't be implemented. Your attitude towards this is coming off as very un-empathetic and self-focused for a feature you will be able to avoid completely.
Lore
Hatchery
Dream Dragons
bepadepadept line long line short boop bepepepep
VPsWmjb.gif
How do you know? Discord kept it on for an entire April fools joke.
How do you know? Discord kept it on for an entire April fools joke.
tundrasig_small.png
#1 Speckle Fan * Old Dragon Collector * FR+3
1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29