Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Recommend me PS4/Switch Games?
1 2 3 4
I know some of these have already been recommended by others, but these are my personal recommendations for switch/ps4.

PS4:
Persona 5/Persona 5 Royal - The main difference between the two is that Royal has some additional content compared to the base game, but it's more expensive compared to the vanilla game.

Persona 5 Strikers - This is a sequel to the above game, so there are minor story spoilers for Persona 5. Gameplay wise it's similar to other Warriors games (Hyrule Warriors, etc) but with a lot of mechanics from Persona. Overall it feels more like a sequel than a spin-off.

Either:
Disgaea - This is a very fun turn-based strategy game series. Each game has a cast of several main characters and multiple "generic" units that you can recruit to build your army. The level cap is 9999, though the main story can be beat around level 100-150 depending on the game (most games have a ton of postgame content). You can also throw other units around the map and the attack animations are very over the top. And if you are a fan of sprite-based games, all the games prior to 6 make extensive use of sprites.
There are currently seven mainline games with an eighth set to release in the US later this year, and most of them are available on either the switch or the ps4 (2 is available on steam, not sure about 3, and D2 is only for the PS3). Each game's story is pretty self-contained and has its own cast of characters, so for the most part you don't need to play previous games in the series to understand the plot of the later ones.
That being said each entry does introduce more quality-of-life features, so it is difficult to play older games after having done newer ones. I'd recommend starting with Disgaea 1 Complete (or maybe Disgaea 6 complete) if you're interested in multiple games in the series, but if you only want to play one than you should pick Disgaea 5 complete.

Switch
Zelda: Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom - These are two of the best games for the Switch and arguably among the best Zelda games. TotK is a direct sequel to BotW so there are some story spoilers. TotK also has several added features, so generally I'd recommend playing BotW first if you want to play both games, but if not then play TotK.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Compared to other Animal Crossing games this one has a bit of a slow tutorial before everything unlocks (about a week) but it's a nice relaxing game and there's a lot of stuff you can do. You can catch fish and bugs to donate to the museum, decorate and expand your house, befriend villagers, and lots more.

Xenoblade Chronicles - With the exception of X, all the Xenoblade games are playable on the Switch. I'd probably recommend the first one over 2 because 2 has a worse story and some gameplay issues (getting new blades is highly reliant on what amounts to a gacha system, though at least it doesn't cost actual money). 3 is also good but you should probably play through 1 and/or watch a playthrough of 1 and 2 before starting 3.

The World Ends with You: NEO - This is a great sequel to an amazing DS game! I wouldn't recommend getting the first TWEWY for the switch because the controls are a bit wonky. TWEWY was very much designed to be played on the DS and doesn't handle as well on other systems. So if you don't have TWEWY for the DS I would watch a playthrough.
I know some of these have already been recommended by others, but these are my personal recommendations for switch/ps4.

PS4:
Persona 5/Persona 5 Royal - The main difference between the two is that Royal has some additional content compared to the base game, but it's more expensive compared to the vanilla game.

Persona 5 Strikers - This is a sequel to the above game, so there are minor story spoilers for Persona 5. Gameplay wise it's similar to other Warriors games (Hyrule Warriors, etc) but with a lot of mechanics from Persona. Overall it feels more like a sequel than a spin-off.

Either:
Disgaea - This is a very fun turn-based strategy game series. Each game has a cast of several main characters and multiple "generic" units that you can recruit to build your army. The level cap is 9999, though the main story can be beat around level 100-150 depending on the game (most games have a ton of postgame content). You can also throw other units around the map and the attack animations are very over the top. And if you are a fan of sprite-based games, all the games prior to 6 make extensive use of sprites.
There are currently seven mainline games with an eighth set to release in the US later this year, and most of them are available on either the switch or the ps4 (2 is available on steam, not sure about 3, and D2 is only for the PS3). Each game's story is pretty self-contained and has its own cast of characters, so for the most part you don't need to play previous games in the series to understand the plot of the later ones.
That being said each entry does introduce more quality-of-life features, so it is difficult to play older games after having done newer ones. I'd recommend starting with Disgaea 1 Complete (or maybe Disgaea 6 complete) if you're interested in multiple games in the series, but if you only want to play one than you should pick Disgaea 5 complete.

Switch
Zelda: Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom - These are two of the best games for the Switch and arguably among the best Zelda games. TotK is a direct sequel to BotW so there are some story spoilers. TotK also has several added features, so generally I'd recommend playing BotW first if you want to play both games, but if not then play TotK.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Compared to other Animal Crossing games this one has a bit of a slow tutorial before everything unlocks (about a week) but it's a nice relaxing game and there's a lot of stuff you can do. You can catch fish and bugs to donate to the museum, decorate and expand your house, befriend villagers, and lots more.

Xenoblade Chronicles - With the exception of X, all the Xenoblade games are playable on the Switch. I'd probably recommend the first one over 2 because 2 has a worse story and some gameplay issues (getting new blades is highly reliant on what amounts to a gacha system, though at least it doesn't cost actual money). 3 is also good but you should probably play through 1 and/or watch a playthrough of 1 and 2 before starting 3.

The World Ends with You: NEO - This is a great sequel to an amazing DS game! I wouldn't recommend getting the first TWEWY for the switch because the controls are a bit wonky. TWEWY was very much designed to be played on the DS and doesn't handle as well on other systems. So if you don't have TWEWY for the DS I would watch a playthrough.
Demiguy; He/Him or They/Them
Seconding-thirding-whatevering Slime Rancher.

Great game, but just a warning that the PS4 version has performance issues. It gets unreasonably laggy in certain maps, and dampens the overall experience. :X
(Which is a shame, because it was smooth peanut butter on my potato PC... Don't know what the deal is with the PS4 performance.)
Seconding-thirding-whatevering Slime Rancher.

Great game, but just a warning that the PS4 version has performance issues. It gets unreasonably laggy in certain maps, and dampens the overall experience. :X
(Which is a shame, because it was smooth peanut butter on my potato PC... Don't know what the deal is with the PS4 performance.)
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
I know it has a bad rep for good reasons…but if you like wondering around in procengirally generated world for hours on end, funny aliens, fun resource gathering and non-bad fourth wall breaks, I'd recommend No Man's Sky!
I know it has a bad rep for good reasons…but if you like wondering around in procengirally generated world for hours on end, funny aliens, fun resource gathering and non-bad fourth wall breaks, I'd recommend No Man's Sky!
STRANGEFLESH
>It/It's
>friendly/open to chat! I love pings and messages
>wishlist
>lineage
>About me
tumblr-paypl0-G37c1xpxfk5o4-250.png
rain world! it's on both platforms but I prefer it on ps4. my fav game for nearly 6 years, I've bought it 4 different times on multiple devices. It has some really fascinating (and very existential) lore and the devs recently released a DLC that practically doubles the games content and then some. has an outstanding soundtrack too
rain world! it's on both platforms but I prefer it on ps4. my fav game for nearly 6 years, I've bought it 4 different times on multiple devices. It has some really fascinating (and very existential) lore and the devs recently released a DLC that practically doubles the games content and then some. has an outstanding soundtrack too
RIuVQv5.png
oh and I also second no man's sky but only if you're ok opening a reddit guide every 20 minutes. lots of fun nonetheless
oh and I also second no man's sky but only if you're ok opening a reddit guide every 20 minutes. lots of fun nonetheless
RIuVQv5.png
Are you a fan of visual novel style games? Because if so, I couldn't recommend Hakuouki, Piofiore, and Birushana more!! If you're not a fan of visual novels, Stardew Valley is always the best game to recommend. It's definitely one of the best games ever made, hands down.
Are you a fan of visual novel style games? Because if so, I couldn't recommend Hakuouki, Piofiore, and Birushana more!! If you're not a fan of visual novels, Stardew Valley is always the best game to recommend. It's definitely one of the best games ever made, hands down.
e8spY.gifBuW1T.gifXpEp1.gif4gjv9.gif
ytkEBod.png5iXiC8z.pngbYt72YT.png2VtxnMX.pngN16btBO.pnggTTW2gA.png9UL9aXL.pngrI18gRz.pngHymO0Fu.pngBS4vqBB.pngGgsJQUx.pngBPYwrtz.pngCFC3MoA.pngw6vHQhK.pngNQ1Ze0S.png0HBKL8H.png4w8OesX.png5vnsOgE.pngqGabqd5.png4SVfFPD.pngqeWy3Ik.pngZorymKT.pnglAvpyOQ.pngJiRHw6i.png4kekx4D.png12ilQ62.pngYUzmw5z.pngSbjC1hQ.pngo4KdtaP.pnguPNWHgD.png
for games exclusive to ps4, BLOODBORNE it is my absolute favorite game, does not disappoint, the lore is incredible. everything about it is incredible

obviously if you havent played scarlet/violet or any other pokemon game on the switch, i would definitely try those!! very very fun
breath of the wild and tears of the kingdom are also must-plays

night in the woods is on both ps4 and switch!!! would also highly recommend
for games exclusive to ps4, BLOODBORNE it is my absolute favorite game, does not disappoint, the lore is incredible. everything about it is incredible

obviously if you havent played scarlet/violet or any other pokemon game on the switch, i would definitely try those!! very very fun
breath of the wild and tears of the kingdom are also must-plays

night in the woods is on both ps4 and switch!!! would also highly recommend
i loved pokemon arceus, you gotta stick with it through the... Very grating tutorial, though LOL. rainworld is also fantastic, but very difficult!

and if you're aspiring for some inspiration to become a game-dev, to the moon and oneshot are a games made in rpgmaker, and they give you a good view on what a small team can do with a more beginner-friendly engine!
i loved pokemon arceus, you gotta stick with it through the... Very grating tutorial, though LOL. rainworld is also fantastic, but very difficult!

and if you're aspiring for some inspiration to become a game-dev, to the moon and oneshot are a games made in rpgmaker, and they give you a good view on what a small team can do with a more beginner-friendly engine!
funny he/him lesbian
[font=american gothic][size=4]Woah, thanks for the recommendations everyone! I'm gonna edit the first post sometime to list everyone's recs, but I really appreciate it [emoji=undertide laughing size=1]
Woah, thanks for the recommendations everyone! I'm gonna edit the first post sometime to list everyone's recs, but I really appreciate it
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
[quote name="LouckyKoneko" date="2023-08-05 05:37:26" ] The World Ends With You (if you can get it on DS, do so, but the Final Remix version on switch is good too) and its sequel Neo:The World Ends With You. best game series I've ever played. both are Action-RPG style games with great stories. be sure to take your time going through them; I rushed Neo on my first playthrough and I will forever regret that. if you're familiar with the Kingdom Hearts series, I can recommend Melody of Memory (a rhythm game). if you aren't familiar with the series, though, don't start with Melody of Memory; play the other games - or watch someone play them - in release order first. you will be confused otherwise. [/quote] Omg, I SUPER second this! TWEWY is amazing, the first game was such a big part of my childhood. I actually haven't finished Neo TWEWY yet but it plays super smoothly as well, I definitely need to get back to it... Also throwing in a +1 to other recs people have made for Dredge, Spirit Farer, and of course Hades.
LouckyKoneko wrote on 2023-08-05 05:37:26:
The World Ends With You (if you can get it on DS, do so, but the Final Remix version on switch is good too) and its sequel Neo:The World Ends With You. best game series I've ever played. both are Action-RPG style games with great stories. be sure to take your time going through them; I rushed Neo on my first playthrough and I will forever regret that.

if you're familiar with the Kingdom Hearts series, I can recommend Melody of Memory (a rhythm game). if you aren't familiar with the series, though, don't start with Melody of Memory; play the other games - or watch someone play them - in release order first. you will be confused otherwise.

Omg, I SUPER second this! TWEWY is amazing, the first game was such a big part of my childhood. I actually haven't finished Neo TWEWY yet but it plays super smoothly as well, I definitely need to get back to it...

Also throwing in a +1 to other recs people have made for Dredge, Spirit Farer, and of course Hades.
npUP8G8.png

Liesmith
> dawning hatchery
> profile dragon

LxswJzX.png
1 2 3 4