Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Scared 4 tumblr
1 2 3 4 5
[quote name="cloudyaether" date="2023-07-10 16:41:56" ] Hello, I hope it's ok if I join this conversation! Unfortunately I don't think this trend of algorithms and monetization are going to slow down. Most large sites worry more about profit than user-autonomy, and that's the main problem, as far as I've been able to see. To keep their apps and sites connected to payment services they have to meet expectations, and that's usually where the ridiculous enforcement of rules and content restrictions start to pop up. I'm holding out for the return of forums and galleries ? [/quote] Many people are turning to the new "de-centralized" Network Bluesky because of the slew of terrible decisions current social media platforms are taking because of this. Oh yeah, and Mastodon too.
cloudyaether wrote on 2023-07-10 16:41:56:
Hello, I hope it's ok if I join this conversation!
Unfortunately I don't think this trend of algorithms and monetization are going to slow down. Most large sites worry more about profit than user-autonomy, and that's the main problem, as far as I've been able to see. To keep their apps and sites connected to payment services they have to meet expectations, and that's usually where the ridiculous enforcement of rules and content restrictions start to pop up. I'm holding out for the return of forums and galleries ?
Many people are turning to the new "de-centralized" Network Bluesky because of the slew of terrible decisions current social media platforms are taking because of this.

Oh yeah, and Mastodon too.
Give a like if you think they're cool--->86520977.png93331792.png88744101.png
In all honesty I'm not too worried, at least about people living, because other websites like Twitter for example have died like 5 times by now and people still continue to use them, so I'm sure Tumblr is gonna be mostly fine
In all honesty I'm not too worried, at least about people living, because other websites like Twitter for example have died like 5 times by now and people still continue to use them, so I'm sure Tumblr is gonna be mostly fine
bulbasaur.gifivysaur.gifvenusaur-f.gif

knives || it/he || art shop
[quote name="knify" date="2023-07-11 02:58:08" ] In all honesty I'm not too worried, at least about people living, because other websites like Twitter for example have died like 5 times by now and people still continue to use them, so I'm sure Tumblr is gonna be mostly fine [/quote] I can see what many people are worried about, though, as people have learned that Monotization/algorithms is what steers most websites to their demise.
knify wrote on 2023-07-11 02:58:08:
I can see what many people are worried about, though, as people have learned that Monotization/algorithms is what steers most websites to their demise.
[quote name="ChaoticFriendzy" date="2023-07-11 03:03:36" ] [quote name="knify" date="2023-07-11 02:58:08" ] In all honesty I'm not too worried, at least about people living, because other websites like Twitter for example have died like 5 times by now and people still continue to use them, so I'm sure Tumblr is gonna be mostly fine [/quote] I can see what many people are worried about, though, as people have learned that Monotization/algorithms is what steers most websites to their demise. [/quote] Oh no for sure, I'm not saying there aren't things to be worried about, I'm just sure the community of users will stay strong ya know. Tumblr is a mess and always has been, but the userbase is as stubborn as they come, haha.
ChaoticFriendzy wrote on 2023-07-11 03:03:36:
I can see what many people are worried about, though, as people have learned that Monotization/algorithms is what steers most websites to their demise.
Oh no for sure, I'm not saying there aren't things to be worried about, I'm just sure the community of users will stay strong ya know. Tumblr is a mess and always has been, but the userbase is as stubborn as they come, haha.
bulbasaur.gifivysaur.gifvenusaur-f.gif

knives || it/he || art shop
[quote name="deztora" date="2023-07-10 22:43:25" ] [quote name="cloudyaether" date="2023-07-10 16:41:56" ]I'm holding out for the return of forums and galleries ? [/quote] Oh man, [i]please![/i] I vastly prefer forums to social media type sites. As much as I used to like tumblr back in the day, it was still really awful for mental health, and forums are such a better way to produce and consume content and connect with people. [/quote] Hundred times this.
deztora wrote on 2023-07-10 22:43:25:
cloudyaether wrote on 2023-07-10 16:41:56:
I'm holding out for the return of forums and galleries ?
Oh man, please! I vastly prefer forums to social media type sites. As much as I used to like tumblr back in the day, it was still really awful for mental health, and forums are such a better way to produce and consume content and connect with people.

Hundred times this.
[quote name="knify" date="2023-07-11 03:06:45" ] [quote name="ChaoticFriendzy" date="2023-07-11 03:03:36" ] [quote name="knify" date="2023-07-11 02:58:08" ] In all honesty I'm not too worried, at least about people living, because other websites like Twitter for example have died like 5 times by now and people still continue to use them, so I'm sure Tumblr is gonna be mostly fine [/quote] I can see what many people are worried about, though, as people have learned that Monotization/algorithms is what steers most websites to their demise. [/quote] Oh no for sure, I'm not saying there aren't things to be worried about, I'm just sure the community of users will stay strong ya know. Tumblr is a mess and always has been, but the userbase is as stubborn as they come, haha. [/quote] That is true.
knify wrote on 2023-07-11 03:06:45:
ChaoticFriendzy wrote on 2023-07-11 03:03:36:
Oh no for sure, I'm not saying there aren't things to be worried about, I'm just sure the community of users will stay strong ya know. Tumblr is a mess and always has been, but the userbase is as stubborn as they come, haha.
That is true.
I'd rather have an algorithm than have people spam trending tags.
I'd rather have an algorithm than have people spam trending tags.
ytkEBod.pngJkqGYr7.pngvZmPWxA.pnga129Nss.pngAQPJNOh.png5hF3FGk.png
Huh, interesting. I don't use social media besides discord, whatsapp and microsoft teams though XD
Huh, interesting. I don't use social media besides discord, whatsapp and microsoft teams though XD
Duanwu will shamelessly eat your likes. Art by celaine.
Some day, there will be art here.
Wishlist | Lore [WIP] | Gallery | Archive
G1 sales thread here.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Harvest RaffleKeikoKat's Raffe
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Might start working on a personal website tbh. Maybe start trying to get people into forums, share emails with my friends.

Fandom has been around for a long time before tumblr and it will survive.
Might start working on a personal website tbh. Maybe start trying to get people into forums, share emails with my friends.

Fandom has been around for a long time before tumblr and it will survive.
7eb73ea7ba19f787490a57822f0ee4885760d03e.png
[quote name="yansie" date="their Tumblr at 2023-07-11 17:18:40" ] the @staffcon2023 Tumblr Live hosted by the CEO Matt (@photomatt) and COO Zandy (@zingring) was not recorded by staff, so I wanted to make my notes of the Live accessible to anyone unable to make it [...] they will be more careful about their messaging to avoid similar misunderstandings to the chronological timeline debacle [...] [b]They are not removing the chronological timeline nor do they plan on ever removing it.[/b] [/quote] (bold added by me, original links removed for easy copy-pasting) Please feel free to read the rest of [url=https://yansie.tumblr.com/post/722595856504832000/staffcon2023-tumblr-live]yansie's meeting notes[/url].
yansie wrote on their Tumblr at 2023-07-11 17:18:40:
the @staffcon2023 Tumblr Live hosted by the CEO Matt (@photomatt) and COO Zandy (@zingring) was not recorded by staff, so I wanted to make my notes of the Live accessible to anyone unable to make it [...] they will be more careful about their messaging to avoid similar misunderstandings to the chronological timeline debacle [...] They are not removing the chronological timeline nor do they plan on ever removing it.
(bold added by me, original links removed for easy copy-pasting)

Please feel free to read the rest of yansie's meeting notes.
90px-Applications-office.svg.png When people draw up a warm bath and put in flower petals,
Writing Prompts
are they bathing in flower tea?
1 2 3 4 5