Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | If you could change 1 thing abt FR lore
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I...don't think I would change anything- Okay, I'm lying - the ins****t rhetoric; that's not how cognition works and no one gets "urges" to go to a different place in the world or has predetermined protective ins****ts. That straight up doesn't exist, it is heavily misinterpreted and has moral issues, but what I'm talking about is such vague knowledge while the former is an overwhelmingly popular myth that it's understandable mistakes were made. It's a remnant of outdated science from more than 60 years ago. However, I'm unbelievably happy to see that the Staff have taken a different approach to Dragonkind, Beastclans and other creatures in general that is much more up-to-date with ethology, ethics and cognitive sciences. Seeing that the Beastclan stuff was adapted, I wouldn't be surprised if some old dragon lore got polished as well! I'd be more than happy to see that happen, until then, I will just continue to ignore the harmful parts.

Anyway, that's it. I might not be a hardcore fan of some other things but it ain't my art or my story to tell. However, my lore is my story to tell so I can do whatever I want with that! Now, would I have been ecstatic to see super detailed worldbuilding, accurate and great attention to detail of speculative evolution and anatomy? Sure, but I think I can do that myself :^)

I know most people here enjoy the magical side of stuff and I'm glad people can do that because I have more than enough willpower and time to do my own thing. If Flight Rising and its devs hadn't captivated me, I doubt I would have stayed here for 8 years. It's good for all of us!
I...don't think I would change anything- Okay, I'm lying - the ins****t rhetoric; that's not how cognition works and no one gets "urges" to go to a different place in the world or has predetermined protective ins****ts. That straight up doesn't exist, it is heavily misinterpreted and has moral issues, but what I'm talking about is such vague knowledge while the former is an overwhelmingly popular myth that it's understandable mistakes were made. It's a remnant of outdated science from more than 60 years ago. However, I'm unbelievably happy to see that the Staff have taken a different approach to Dragonkind, Beastclans and other creatures in general that is much more up-to-date with ethology, ethics and cognitive sciences. Seeing that the Beastclan stuff was adapted, I wouldn't be surprised if some old dragon lore got polished as well! I'd be more than happy to see that happen, until then, I will just continue to ignore the harmful parts.

Anyway, that's it. I might not be a hardcore fan of some other things but it ain't my art or my story to tell. However, my lore is my story to tell so I can do whatever I want with that! Now, would I have been ecstatic to see super detailed worldbuilding, accurate and great attention to detail of speculative evolution and anatomy? Sure, but I think I can do that myself :^)

I know most people here enjoy the magical side of stuff and I'm glad people can do that because I have more than enough willpower and time to do my own thing. If Flight Rising and its devs hadn't captivated me, I doubt I would have stayed here for 8 years. It's good for all of us!
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
Guardians being from water, because they look nothing like a water dragon and look like the Shadowbinder. They're so clunky and big and would have a hard time swimming.

Another thing that's a bigger issue to me is the plague flight. I love vulture-culture and all that and plague is my second choice in flight, but man the lore is bad. The whole survival of the fittest and lack of care for disease irk me. Shouldn't they celebrate disease and death? Shouldn't they view every disease as the Plaguebringer testing them not physically but as a community and as innovators? I don't think mirrors should abandon their weak either. In fact I think the distinction between plague and nature should be made more clear- one celebrates death and the other fears it to an unhealthy degree. Idk.
Guardians being from water, because they look nothing like a water dragon and look like the Shadowbinder. They're so clunky and big and would have a hard time swimming.

Another thing that's a bigger issue to me is the plague flight. I love vulture-culture and all that and plague is my second choice in flight, but man the lore is bad. The whole survival of the fittest and lack of care for disease irk me. Shouldn't they celebrate disease and death? Shouldn't they view every disease as the Plaguebringer testing them not physically but as a community and as innovators? I don't think mirrors should abandon their weak either. In fact I think the distinction between plague and nature should be made more clear- one celebrates death and the other fears it to an unhealthy degree. Idk.
All pronouns welcome!
Still new to the forums, so big apologies if I mess stuff up! Feel free to politely let me know when I do something wrong!
Is it weird that I saw dragons less as having set personalities and more like stereotypes/behavioral patterns? Like pearlcatchers tend to be more skittish, but not all pearlcatchers are cowardly, or spirals have more energy, but are not always exceedingly excitable. I never saw it as them having set personalities, but more like different behavioral traits suited for their environment.

If I do anything, more lore/description on some of the less-common BeastClans (manticores, miths, dryads, etc.). I would love more BeastClan expansion because they're super underrated. The guardians also don't look that aquatic in my eyes and the coatls don't give me fire vibes, but that's just me. I don't really have too many problems with Flight Rising, to be honest.

I personally really like the different biological traits like fae being monotone/speaking with fins or coatls having their own language because it makes the dragons not just look different, but act different. Speculative biology and psychology is my jam.
Is it weird that I saw dragons less as having set personalities and more like stereotypes/behavioral patterns? Like pearlcatchers tend to be more skittish, but not all pearlcatchers are cowardly, or spirals have more energy, but are not always exceedingly excitable. I never saw it as them having set personalities, but more like different behavioral traits suited for their environment.

If I do anything, more lore/description on some of the less-common BeastClans (manticores, miths, dryads, etc.). I would love more BeastClan expansion because they're super underrated. The guardians also don't look that aquatic in my eyes and the coatls don't give me fire vibes, but that's just me. I don't really have too many problems with Flight Rising, to be honest.

I personally really like the different biological traits like fae being monotone/speaking with fins or coatls having their own language because it makes the dragons not just look different, but act different. Speculative biology and psychology is my jam.
QB1ezjo.pngpMh8rVE.png
Make veilspuns not tiny, they look a lot bigger than they actually are
Make veilspuns not tiny, they look a lot bigger than they actually are
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
I would make it so that the people in the second age were mostly but not completely wiped out, maybe the survivors were those in underground cities. It would be cool for there to be an ancient, forgotten civilization lingering underground.
I would make it so that the people in the second age were mostly but not completely wiped out, maybe the survivors were those in underground cities. It would be cool for there to be an ancient, forgotten civilization lingering underground.
?1yJ3f=platform.png
RSUsSvx.png
Gonna go with one that was already mentioned with Mirrors not being fully flighted. The general wingspan for Mirrors are one of the most likely out of all of the breeds to be able to support powered flight wiith how large they are compared to body size and build. I understand that their metabolism supposedly limits them, but they have wings that seem to have a high surface area.

I'm not gonna sit here and do the math for this, but they should have little problem generating enough lift fairly easily for flight, which means they expend less energy overall thanks to more efficient wings...

edit: I'm also not factoring weight in to this as I don't think dragon weights are necessarily accurate!
Gonna go with one that was already mentioned with Mirrors not being fully flighted. The general wingspan for Mirrors are one of the most likely out of all of the breeds to be able to support powered flight wiith how large they are compared to body size and build. I understand that their metabolism supposedly limits them, but they have wings that seem to have a high surface area.

I'm not gonna sit here and do the math for this, but they should have little problem generating enough lift fairly easily for flight, which means they expend less energy overall thanks to more efficient wings...

edit: I'm also not factoring weight in to this as I don't think dragon weights are necessarily accurate!
1f7Wab5.png x F5AeglI.png x x
x
x
< - avatar
x

ahzidal (captain)
they / them
about
I would change veilspun size. I don't like them being tiny like that.
I would change veilspun size. I don't like them being tiny like that.
siggy.png
I'm going to make veils even smaller.
Esme, a very red and Plague-themed Skydancer. A medallion depicting the Plaguebringer in profile.
Delete the Beastclans completely.
Delete the Beastclans completely.
[quote name="Jhortanas" date="2023-03-14 10:52:02" ] I'm going to make veils even smaller. [/quote] Tiny insekt
Jhortanas wrote on 2023-03-14 10:52:02:
Tiny insekt
jGVQbew.png Glimmer
Previously QuirkyJunimo
FR +3
Wishlist
oxDm2Un.png
CB1A5LI.png
xtBKBx8.png
mlHpBMC.png
fD64ZUR.png