Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Allow spaces in names
1 2 3 4
[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/AJwmlQb.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/uDx2PtP.png[/img][/center] (P.S. Before y'all freak out: my pics are not mods. I just used inspect element to add spaces. They go away upon refreshing.) It's occurred to me that dragon names don't really seem to be used systematically. Like, they aren't used to generate the dragon's URL; they aren't used to generate the dragon's scry, etc. It's really just their ID numbers that are used. So, that being said, I don't see why we can't have spaces in names. I'd like to see that if possible, for better readability's sake. Some preemptive counters: - "Lore" is not an excuse for the lack of spaces in names. Lore is there for the people who want to play with it so they could have the choice to follow with naming conventions if there are any, whereas others have the choice not to follow naming conventions. Kind of like in FFXIV: there are naming conventions for people to use if they want, but they don't have to. (I don't know if this is a thing, but FR peoples tend to use lore as a shield, so I'm just throwing it out there just in case.) - If line breaks happen in the offspring list that make it hard to tell one offspring from the other, there is a very easy cosmetic way to address that: bullet points and/or lines that automatically generate for each new offspring so they're still very visibly separated. - Spaces can be prevented from happening or ignored at the start of a word, so there won't be names that start with spaces. - I'm not 100% sure about this point, but I do think there are languages that will allow for spaces but not other special characters. A forum I run has this issue where players can't use any apostrophes for example, but they can use spaces. (So... we had to like.. fix that, because it caused problems on our end. But! It's a thing! So, if FR didn't want other special characters, they could probably prevent it the way my forum host prevented it.) Okay, now I leave. Whoosh!
AJwmlQb.png
uDx2PtP.png

(P.S. Before y'all freak out: my pics are not mods. I just used inspect element to add spaces. They go away upon refreshing.)

It's occurred to me that dragon names don't really seem to be used systematically. Like, they aren't used to generate the dragon's URL; they aren't used to generate the dragon's scry, etc. It's really just their ID numbers that are used.

So, that being said, I don't see why we can't have spaces in names. I'd like to see that if possible, for better readability's sake.

Some preemptive counters:
- "Lore" is not an excuse for the lack of spaces in names. Lore is there for the people who want to play with it so they could have the choice to follow with naming conventions if there are any, whereas others have the choice not to follow naming conventions. Kind of like in FFXIV: there are naming conventions for people to use if they want, but they don't have to. (I don't know if this is a thing, but FR peoples tend to use lore as a shield, so I'm just throwing it out there just in case.)

- If line breaks happen in the offspring list that make it hard to tell one offspring from the other, there is a very easy cosmetic way to address that: bullet points and/or lines that automatically generate for each new offspring so they're still very visibly separated.

- Spaces can be prevented from happening or ignored at the start of a word, so there won't be names that start with spaces.

- I'm not 100% sure about this point, but I do think there are languages that will allow for spaces but not other special characters. A forum I run has this issue where players can't use any apostrophes for example, but they can use spaces. (So... we had to like.. fix that, because it caused problems on our end. But! It's a thing! So, if FR didn't want other special characters, they could probably prevent it the way my forum host prevented it.)

Okay, now I leave. Whoosh!
@Find a Dragon forum: please don't ping unless buying
loimysO.png 3FRtP4L.png BzjAkuF.png rix3ppo.png YMPbu9R.png
SH-signature.png
I'd also like two letter names again (on top of spaces) but I'm a little biased here because I can't use the low roman numerals for my lore project. Before it's mentioned, no, I don't want to write out something like "ThirtyFive" as the name. It doesn't have the same feeling behind it and doesn't give the aesthetic I'm aiming for. Oh and numbers for people who want actual numerical values.

In regards to lore reasoning, it goes both ways. We should also have it for lore. More options are never a bad thing. This is very much a "don't like it, don't use it" argument if it's brought up. No one's lore should supercede another. Plus, names can just as equally as genes be an aesthetic choice.

For line breaks, another option is after x characters it becomes [...]. For example (from your list):
Forgiven Em...
Forgiven Ve...
Forgiven
Aggression
Innocence
Rebellion
I'd also like two letter names again (on top of spaces) but I'm a little biased here because I can't use the low roman numerals for my lore project. Before it's mentioned, no, I don't want to write out something like "ThirtyFive" as the name. It doesn't have the same feeling behind it and doesn't give the aesthetic I'm aiming for. Oh and numbers for people who want actual numerical values.

In regards to lore reasoning, it goes both ways. We should also have it for lore. More options are never a bad thing. This is very much a "don't like it, don't use it" argument if it's brought up. No one's lore should supercede another. Plus, names can just as equally as genes be an aesthetic choice.

For line breaks, another option is after x characters it becomes [...]. For example (from your list):
Forgiven Em...
Forgiven Ve...
Forgiven
Aggression
Innocence
Rebellion
Honestly? Support! I’d also love it if familiar names could have spaces too.
Honestly? Support! I’d also love it if familiar names could have spaces too.
e1hq93t.jpeg umzEeyZ.jpeg
Support for all above: space in dragon and player name. And 2 and 1 letter names (ATM there is no any real reason restrict 1-2 letter names)
Support for all above: space in dragon and player name. And 2 and 1 letter names (ATM there is no any real reason restrict 1-2 letter names)

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
Support for all of the above!
Support for all of the above!
hu72dVR.png
The reason to restrict two letter dragon names is that it breaks Search. If Search could be granted an exclusion feature of some sort (i.e. I could search "Ra" and not get a dragon named "Rachel") then I don't see an issue here.
The reason to restrict two letter dragon names is that it breaks Search. If Search could be granted an exclusion feature of some sort (i.e. I could search "Ra" and not get a dragon named "Rachel") then I don't see an issue here.
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

I agree with all of the above. I like giving my dragons names that are 2 words mixed together and it looks really awkward or reads weird on some of them without the spaces. Also yeah, I don't see why there are any restrictions on names other than we don't want them too long.
I agree with all of the above. I like giving my dragons names that are 2 words mixed together and it looks really awkward or reads weird on some of them without the spaces. Also yeah, I don't see why there are any restrictions on names other than we don't want them too long.
Hail Derek and hope for the best!
C41-B82-D4-74-CF-41-F7-82-B0-DDEF5-B909503.gif C41-B82-D4-74-CF-41-F7-82-B0-DDEF5-B909503.gif C41-B82-D4-74-CF-41-F7-82-B0-DDEF5-B909503.gif
Support
Support
3adgzZD.pnggE96VFA.pngGJVtuPg.png
GIQnAA5.pngSM9WJh6.pngAMyO6Hf.png
Support, I have three dragons just begging for this to be possible, and I'm sure there are many many more
Support, I have three dragons just begging for this to be possible, and I'm sure there are many many more
OQwOmsS.png
_

she/her
straight
quoiromantic
A link to my skin shop.
A small egg with a galaxy pattern and white hearts on it. It links to the Wholesome Void Hatchery.
_

FR time +1
A link to my Instagram.
A link to my DeviantArt.
A link to my wishlist.
PX2gJ9f.png
Support
Support
Selling my skins!
button_ah_buy.png
1 2 3 4