Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Skin & Accent Database Proposal
1 2 3
hello! so if any of you know me from the plague flight discord server, you may have heard about an insane idea i had: a full skin & accent database, aka SAD (thanks to those already in the project with me haha).

now what does this mean?
im proposing a database with images of every skin and accent on flight rising, logged with the artist's username, ID, a link to their skin shop (if available), and if it is retired, shelved, or the artist's account has been locked, etc.

why would i want to do this?
well. for one, i make spreadsheets for fun. i love data entry, it's my favorite pastime. second, i've always wanted a searchable database of existing skins & accents where i can filter extensively, so i can make sure the item i'm looking for isn't retired, or the person who made it is inactive or has gotten banned, and in addition, search for specific themes or keywords for what i'm looking for. i'm essentially looking to condense all of this information into a single sleek database for the FR community!

now you may be asking, 'NT, why are you putting this in FRD?' because! i need help for this project to get started, mostly on the platform to host it on. i'm not sure what i would be looking for because i haven't ever done a project like this before, and my coding is... extremely rusty. i know there are some talented coders here on FR, and this is my formal request for some help!

i basically need to find a way to make a searchable database, where i can tag data entries (either with metadata or somehow else) and make them searchable. because i intend to log every single skin and accent on the site, i need something that can handle over... 39k+ entries, and it would be ever-growing too. (there's also the problem of money, because i am just a broke college student)

like i said, i am extremely rusty with coding, and i have never worked with SQL as a programming language, so github SQL codespaces are entirely lost on me. i'd love for more people to join me in this project, i'm really excited to try and make it happen!

like i said, i'm open to any suggestion on the platform in which to hold the database. and no, i cannot use google sheets or excel, as those both are awful for databases/data entry that requires search parameters, so please don't suggest that to me.

please let me know if anyone has any ideas! additionally, i have a discord server that you may join if you choose you'd like to help out; just let me know if you think you can help and ill PM you a link to it.

thanks for your time reading this! i hope to make this project a reality soon!
hello! so if any of you know me from the plague flight discord server, you may have heard about an insane idea i had: a full skin & accent database, aka SAD (thanks to those already in the project with me haha).

now what does this mean?
im proposing a database with images of every skin and accent on flight rising, logged with the artist's username, ID, a link to their skin shop (if available), and if it is retired, shelved, or the artist's account has been locked, etc.

why would i want to do this?
well. for one, i make spreadsheets for fun. i love data entry, it's my favorite pastime. second, i've always wanted a searchable database of existing skins & accents where i can filter extensively, so i can make sure the item i'm looking for isn't retired, or the person who made it is inactive or has gotten banned, and in addition, search for specific themes or keywords for what i'm looking for. i'm essentially looking to condense all of this information into a single sleek database for the FR community!

now you may be asking, 'NT, why are you putting this in FRD?' because! i need help for this project to get started, mostly on the platform to host it on. i'm not sure what i would be looking for because i haven't ever done a project like this before, and my coding is... extremely rusty. i know there are some talented coders here on FR, and this is my formal request for some help!

i basically need to find a way to make a searchable database, where i can tag data entries (either with metadata or somehow else) and make them searchable. because i intend to log every single skin and accent on the site, i need something that can handle over... 39k+ entries, and it would be ever-growing too. (there's also the problem of money, because i am just a broke college student)

like i said, i am extremely rusty with coding, and i have never worked with SQL as a programming language, so github SQL codespaces are entirely lost on me. i'd love for more people to join me in this project, i'm really excited to try and make it happen!

like i said, i'm open to any suggestion on the platform in which to hold the database. and no, i cannot use google sheets or excel, as those both are awful for databases/data entry that requires search parameters, so please don't suggest that to me.

please let me know if anyone has any ideas! additionally, i have a discord server that you may join if you choose you'd like to help out; just let me know if you think you can help and ill PM you a link to it.

thanks for your time reading this! i hope to make this project a reality soon!
floppy.gif NT
> they/it

> sparkletext img shop
> uma shop
> my hatchery
aaa sig-banner.png
considering the constraints you listed, if this is something you strongly want to do, why not just comment on the already existing skin database? a lot of UMA artists already do this and i can't imagine that anyone will complain if you find yourself so inclined to go through the entire database to comment on UMAs that don't list that information

it seems silly to remake an already existing database that allows for comments, especially if you don't have the coding skills required or money to pay a coder/hosting/etc
considering the constraints you listed, if this is something you strongly want to do, why not just comment on the already existing skin database? a lot of UMA artists already do this and i can't imagine that anyone will complain if you find yourself so inclined to go through the entire database to comment on UMAs that don't list that information

it seems silly to remake an already existing database that allows for comments, especially if you don't have the coding skills required or money to pay a coder/hosting/etc
42978694_MHOUAk0oybKLsTZ.png
@hag see the thing is, on the skin database, you can't sort by theme. this won't just be used for the status of skins & accents, but also providing a tagging system to sort all of the existing entries into categories and subcategories.

such as a 'plants' tag, with 'fruits', 'florals', etc as subtags for more organization to find what you're looking for!
@hag see the thing is, on the skin database, you can't sort by theme. this won't just be used for the status of skins & accents, but also providing a tagging system to sort all of the existing entries into categories and subcategories.

such as a 'plants' tag, with 'fruits', 'florals', etc as subtags for more organization to find what you're looking for!
floppy.gif NT
> they/it

> sparkletext img shop
> uma shop
> my hatchery
aaa sig-banner.png
That sounds awesome! Unfortunately I don’t know jack about actual coding (limited to FR itself) but comment bump sorta to keep it up.
That sounds awesome! Unfortunately I don’t know jack about actual coding (limited to FR itself) but comment bump sorta to keep it up.
oy11GHf.png tumblr_inline_ny7iugii4Q1qmzhvw_540.png
Wishlist | Lore Shop
[emoji=star size=1]
N5bWDYz.gif
Well... I don't know anything about coding, but if you need an extra pair of eyes to go through the database, I'd be happy to help!

It might be easier to sort things if you assign people a 'theme' to tag. For example, one person is asked to list UMAs with a 'plant' theme, while someone else catalogues 'rainbow' UMAs! UMAs that end up tagged by multiple people just get the relevant tags (eg, an UMA with rainbow flowers is tagged 'rainbow' and 'plant'). This would help divide up the work, and help catch UMAs that fulfill multiple tag categories ^^

Or maybe a couple tags could be assigned to each person? Or, you could divide the labor by breeds: someone is assigned Skydancer UMAs, while someone else covers Bogsneak, Snapper, and Banescale UMAs.
Well... I don't know anything about coding, but if you need an extra pair of eyes to go through the database, I'd be happy to help!

It might be easier to sort things if you assign people a 'theme' to tag. For example, one person is asked to list UMAs with a 'plant' theme, while someone else catalogues 'rainbow' UMAs! UMAs that end up tagged by multiple people just get the relevant tags (eg, an UMA with rainbow flowers is tagged 'rainbow' and 'plant'). This would help divide up the work, and help catch UMAs that fulfill multiple tag categories ^^

Or maybe a couple tags could be assigned to each person? Or, you could divide the labor by breeds: someone is assigned Skydancer UMAs, while someone else covers Bogsneak, Snapper, and Banescale UMAs.
LEpJMnn.png
mTAp2ld.png
qjxrAwx.png
bYt72YT.png
1YB0OjO.png
EB9jVcQ.png

@SerafinaZephyr thats what i was thinking to do, and thanks for the offer! i was thinking to have multiple people, but i want to get the platform sorted! i already have a few ideas from some of my friends in the server on categories and tags :D
@SerafinaZephyr thats what i was thinking to do, and thanks for the offer! i was thinking to have multiple people, but i want to get the platform sorted! i already have a few ideas from some of my friends in the server on categories and tags :D
floppy.gif NT
> they/it

> sparkletext img shop
> uma shop
> my hatchery
aaa sig-banner.png
I think the tag thing could be implemented on the onsite database- I've thought about doing this before but didn't have the mental energy.

Basically, if you choose a format for tags that's extremely unlikely to be used by accident, then we can use Google's "search on site" feature (I don't know if Bing or DuckDuckGo have an equivalent...) to return every page with that string. I'm talking something like, three layers of brackets (so, maybe "[<!(Tag)!>]" or something, bonus points for a character most people have to copy/paste) so that other sites are very unlikely to do this by accident.
I think the tag thing could be implemented on the onsite database- I've thought about doing this before but didn't have the mental energy.

Basically, if you choose a format for tags that's extremely unlikely to be used by accident, then we can use Google's "search on site" feature (I don't know if Bing or DuckDuckGo have an equivalent...) to return every page with that string. I'm talking something like, three layers of brackets (so, maybe "[<!(Tag)!>]" or something, bonus points for a character most people have to copy/paste) so that other sites are very unlikely to do this by accident.
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

[quote name="Kreide" date="2023-01-05 18:23:38" ] [emoji=star size=1] [/quote]
Kreide wrote on 2023-01-05 18:23:38:
IMG_3849.png
[quote name="nothingtown" date="2023-01-05 19:34:08" ] SerafinaZephyr thats what i was thinking to do, and thanks for the offer! i was thinking to have multiple people, but i want to get the platform sorted! i already have a few ideas from some of my friends in the server on categories and tags :D [/quote] GASP is another good resource for tag ideas! Also, I think it's worth considering /not/ adding some UMAs to the DB? Personal-only UMAs and one-off customs should probably be kept off it, if possible, to avoid the artist getting unwanted requests for them ;^^
nothingtown wrote on 2023-01-05 19:34:08:
SerafinaZephyr thats what i was thinking to do, and thanks for the offer! i was thinking to have multiple people, but i want to get the platform sorted! i already have a few ideas from some of my friends in the server on categories and tags :D

GASP is another good resource for tag ideas!

Also, I think it's worth considering /not/ adding some UMAs to the DB? Personal-only UMAs and one-off customs should probably be kept off it, if possible, to avoid the artist getting unwanted requests for them ;^^
LEpJMnn.png
mTAp2ld.png
qjxrAwx.png
bYt72YT.png
1YB0OjO.png
EB9jVcQ.png

1 2 3