Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Breed Change Undertide? Should I use?
1 2
Can someone explain what this item actually does and the details of how it works

from just browsing around it seems a pretty valuable item and I got 2? (i think) from Galore.

What does reset to basic mean?

Do they revert to being a young dragon?

Why do Undertides go for so much?

does everyone get one or did I luck out? (Why am I impossibly lucky in games?)

Any other tips and Advice for using it. Oh and I assume Clanbound means untradable?
Can someone explain what this item actually does and the details of how it works

from just browsing around it seems a pretty valuable item and I got 2? (i think) from Galore.

What does reset to basic mean?

Do they revert to being a young dragon?

Why do Undertides go for so much?

does everyone get one or did I luck out? (Why am I impossibly lucky in games?)

Any other tips and Advice for using it. Oh and I assume Clanbound means untradable?
@SummoningCircles 1) breed change scrolls do what they sound like: change the dragon into a different breed. when changed into an Undertide, they'll be able to breed with other Undertides, but not other Ancients or Moderns. this change is permanent in that the dragon won't randomly change back to their original breed, and it's not a toggle, but breed can be changed again with other scrolls. 2/3) nothing to do with age; reset to Basic means all genes are removed, even parallel ones (since they're technically different). the dragon is returned to Basic primary, Basic secondary, and Basic tertiary, so you'll have to add genes back on if you don't want to have triple-Basic hatchlings when breeding. (for the record, the only way to "revert" age is to use a [gamedb item=572].) 4/5) Undertides are brand new, so demand for them is high. high demand with low supply means prices go up. since everyone gets two scrolls from Galore however (as long as they claim within the time period), and the breed itself is available freely through Arlo's Ancient Artifacts, their price will drop eventually as more are breed-changed and hatched. 6) whether you use them or not is up to you. if you want a mostly-free Undertide, you can use the scroll on one of your existing dragons, or you can save them to decide on later. you can check the Scrying Workshop to preview how your dragons might look as Undertides before deciding; clicking the [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/layout/profile/button-predict-morphology.png[/img] button on their page will take you right to it. 7) Clanbound does mean untradeable, but plenty of users "sell" their Clanbound items by having buyers send a dragon over via Crossroads. the Clanbound item owner then uses the item on the dragon before sending it back. note that, while [i]allowed[/i], it's not a site-[i]supported[/i] transaction, which means these kinds of trades can be risky. hopefully that helps, feel free to let me know if you need anything clarified! c:
@SummoningCircles

1) breed change scrolls do what they sound like: change the dragon into a different breed. when changed into an Undertide, they'll be able to breed with other Undertides, but not other Ancients or Moderns. this change is permanent in that the dragon won't randomly change back to their original breed, and it's not a toggle, but breed can be changed again with other scrolls.

2/3) nothing to do with age; reset to Basic means all genes are removed, even parallel ones (since they're technically different). the dragon is returned to Basic primary, Basic secondary, and Basic tertiary, so you'll have to add genes back on if you don't want to have triple-Basic hatchlings when breeding. (for the record, the only way to "revert" age is to use a Scroll of Eternal Youth.)

4/5) Undertides are brand new, so demand for them is high. high demand with low supply means prices go up. since everyone gets two scrolls from Galore however (as long as they claim within the time period), and the breed itself is available freely through Arlo's Ancient Artifacts, their price will drop eventually as more are breed-changed and hatched.

6) whether you use them or not is up to you. if you want a mostly-free Undertide, you can use the scroll on one of your existing dragons, or you can save them to decide on later. you can check the Scrying Workshop to preview how your dragons might look as Undertides before deciding; clicking the button-predict-morphology.png button on their page will take you right to it.

7) Clanbound does mean untradeable, but plenty of users "sell" their Clanbound items by having buyers send a dragon over via Crossroads. the Clanbound item owner then uses the item on the dragon before sending it back. note that, while allowed, it's not a site-supported transaction, which means these kinds of trades can be risky.

hopefully that helps, feel free to let me know if you need anything clarified! c:
yellow flag icon linking to After's Lair Directory
After
They/them

< Lair Directory
Sig Spotlight >
Coliseum banner showing After's avatar dragon, a steel blue and black Spiral.Coliseum banner showing a black and red Coatl.
Coliseum banner showing a Wildclaw with flames and a soot-covered face.Coliseum banner showing a black and beige Skydancer.
@After

Triple Basic? is that bad super new here and still don't understand breeding or scrying.
@After

Triple Basic? is that bad super new here and still don't understand breeding or scrying.
@SummoningCircles no worries! triple Basic refers to genes. take your hatchling here: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/82208168][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/822082/82208168_350.png[/img][/url] if you check the Genetics section, you'll see Storm Basic, Blood Basic, and Aqua Basic, so triple Basic, meaning this Mirror doesn't have any genes (i.e. patterns). the tertiary (Aqua) only shows up if the gene is something other than Basic. if you [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/scrying/predict/82208168]put them in the Scrying Workshop[/url], you can preview how different genes will look on them. here's an example with Crystal, Bee, and Peacock - quite different! [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/scrying/predict?breed=3&gender=1&age=0&bodygene=7&body=19&winggene=20&wings=60&tertgene=24&tert=30&element=7&eyetype=0][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=19&bodygene=7&breed=3&element=7&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=30&tertgene=24&winggene=20&wings=60&auth=471d34e2a23270e2af4623c3bafb074dba69f33a&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url] each gene has a different rarity when breeding, with Basic (patternless) being the most common. Gem Marketplace genes are the rarest, and show up very rarely when breeding against other genes. you can see gene rarities [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/3109561]here[/url]. triple Basic isn't bad in itself - just means you'll have to buy new genes if you breed-change to an Ancient. however, in terms of what players want, buyers [i]vastly[/i] prefer dragons be "triple-gened" (i.e. no genes are Basic). [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/81565685]Tetsui[/url] is triple-gened, for example. Basic tends to be flat and boring compared to other genes, so even dragons with a single Basic gene usually end up exalted. (you can read more about exalting [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2009451]here[/url].)
@SummoningCircles no worries! triple Basic refers to genes. take your hatchling here:
82208168_350.png

if you check the Genetics section, you'll see Storm Basic, Blood Basic, and Aqua Basic, so triple Basic, meaning this Mirror doesn't have any genes (i.e. patterns). the tertiary (Aqua) only shows up if the gene is something other than Basic.

if you put them in the Scrying Workshop, you can preview how different genes will look on them. here's an example with Crystal, Bee, and Peacock - quite different!
dragon?age=0&body=19&bodygene=7&breed=3&element=7&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=30&tertgene=24&winggene=20&wings=60&auth=471d34e2a23270e2af4623c3bafb074dba69f33a&dummyext=prev.png

each gene has a different rarity when breeding, with Basic (patternless) being the most common. Gem Marketplace genes are the rarest, and show up very rarely when breeding against other genes. you can see gene rarities here.

triple Basic isn't bad in itself - just means you'll have to buy new genes if you breed-change to an Ancient. however, in terms of what players want, buyers vastly prefer dragons be "triple-gened" (i.e. no genes are Basic). Tetsui is triple-gened, for example. Basic tends to be flat and boring compared to other genes, so even dragons with a single Basic gene usually end up exalted. (you can read more about exalting here.)
After
They/them

< Lair Directory
Sig Spotlight >
Coliseum banner showing After's avatar dragon, a steel blue and black Spiral.Coliseum banner showing a black and red Coatl.
Coliseum banner showing a Wildclaw with flames and a soot-covered face.Coliseum banner showing a black and beige Skydancer.
@after thank you for the in depth explanation.

So ideally I should use gene change on ungene'd dragons?

And Basic genes are just flat colors.

And breeding tends to produce alot of basic genes???

and my best bet to get "interesting" looking dragons is to breed ones with genes?

Also Tetsui is great.
@after thank you for the in depth explanation.

So ideally I should use gene change on ungene'd dragons?

And Basic genes are just flat colors.

And breeding tends to produce alot of basic genes???

and my best bet to get "interesting" looking dragons is to breed ones with genes?

Also Tetsui is great.
@SummoningCircles You won't get Basic genes from breeding if neither parent has any Basic genes. It's just that a lot of people start out by immediately breeding their progens, who are generated with Basic genes, so most people's first nest ends up with triple-Basic.

Also, there is more information about Undertides in this new announcement.
@SummoningCircles You won't get Basic genes from breeding if neither parent has any Basic genes. It's just that a lot of people start out by immediately breeding their progens, who are generated with Basic genes, so most people's first nest ends up with triple-Basic.

Also, there is more information about Undertides in this new announcement.
deseczka2.png
@SummoningCircles yes and no. adding genes is where gameplay (or at least personal play styles) gets a bit different. genes can be applied to any dragon, but they're expensive, usually worth a lot more than the dragon itself. you typically only buy genes for dragons you like and want to keep; putting them on something you want to sell is wasting money. "gene projects" like this are a popular aspect of the game for collectors' dragons, but usually not something beginners do until they're more settled in what they want. (not that they [i]can't[/i], just that they often don't see the point or feel the need.) replacing a gene is something you can do (for example, changing a Crystal primary to Starmap primary), but that usually falls under the same reasoning - do it for things you want to keep. plenty of players have years-old dragons with equally old genes, so sometimes they decide to update them by buying new ones. this is all personal preference. to clarify, breeding produces a lot of Basic only if a parent has it. if you breed a parent with Crystal primary against a parent with a Basic primary, the hatchlings will have a 99% chance each of getting the Basic primary, since it's the most common. if you breed Crystal against a Starmap primary however, there's a 50/50 chance for each hatchling to have either gene since they're the same rarity. "interesting" looking dragons is up to personal taste, but in essence, yes. that said, while most people like triple genes, there's a [i]lot[/i] of variation in what that actually looks like! some people prefer simpler patterns - even Basic in some cases - while others like shiny and complex. you can always take a look at other players' lairs to get some idea of how they look, and see if you can figure out what dragons you'd like for yours! kind of a lot, whew! hopefully this isn't completely confusing. [emoji=ridgeback laughing size=1]
@SummoningCircles yes and no. adding genes is where gameplay (or at least personal play styles) gets a bit different. genes can be applied to any dragon, but they're expensive, usually worth a lot more than the dragon itself. you typically only buy genes for dragons you like and want to keep; putting them on something you want to sell is wasting money. "gene projects" like this are a popular aspect of the game for collectors' dragons, but usually not something beginners do until they're more settled in what they want. (not that they can't, just that they often don't see the point or feel the need.)

replacing a gene is something you can do (for example, changing a Crystal primary to Starmap primary), but that usually falls under the same reasoning - do it for things you want to keep. plenty of players have years-old dragons with equally old genes, so sometimes they decide to update them by buying new ones. this is all personal preference.

to clarify, breeding produces a lot of Basic only if a parent has it. if you breed a parent with Crystal primary against a parent with a Basic primary, the hatchlings will have a 99% chance each of getting the Basic primary, since it's the most common. if you breed Crystal against a Starmap primary however, there's a 50/50 chance for each hatchling to have either gene since they're the same rarity.

"interesting" looking dragons is up to personal taste, but in essence, yes. that said, while most people like triple genes, there's a lot of variation in what that actually looks like! some people prefer simpler patterns - even Basic in some cases - while others like shiny and complex. you can always take a look at other players' lairs to get some idea of how they look, and see if you can figure out what dragons you'd like for yours!

kind of a lot, whew! hopefully this isn't completely confusing.
After
They/them

< Lair Directory
Sig Spotlight >
@after thank you again!

I meant use the undertide breed change scrolls on ungene'd dragons since they revert to basic anyway.

@GrayGriffin thanks for the heads up that helps immensely
@after thank you again!

I meant use the undertide breed change scrolls on ungene'd dragons since they revert to basic anyway.

@GrayGriffin thanks for the heads up that helps immensely
@SummoningCircles oh! that makes more sense, ahah. it doesn't really matter, you're not losing or gaining anything either way since it happens regardless of genes. it might feel like more of a waste if you'd bought and applied genes beforehand that get removed, but otherwise it's just accepted as a site mechanic. you're free to breed change whichever dragons you like. c:
@SummoningCircles oh! that makes more sense, ahah. it doesn't really matter, you're not losing or gaining anything either way since it happens regardless of genes. it might feel like more of a waste if you'd bought and applied genes beforehand that get removed, but otherwise it's just accepted as a site mechanic. you're free to breed change whichever dragons you like. c:
After
They/them

< Lair Directory
Sig Spotlight >
[quote name="After" date="2022-11-22 21:18:01" ] @/SummoningCircles no worries! triple Basic refers to genes. take your hatchling here: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/82208168][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/822082/82208168_350.png[/img][/url] if you check the Genetics section, you'll see [s]Blood[/s] [b]Storm[/b] Basic, Blood Basic, and Aqua Basic, so triple Basic, meaning this Mirror doesn't have any genes (i.e. patterns). the tertiary (Aqua) only shows up if the gene is something other than Basic.[/quote] @After @SummoningCircles Small typo :) The hatchling's primary colour is Storm.
After wrote on 2022-11-22 21:18:01:
@/SummoningCircles no worries! triple Basic refers to genes. take your hatchling here:
82208168_350.png

if you check the Genetics section, you'll see Blood Storm Basic, Blood Basic, and Aqua Basic, so triple Basic, meaning this Mirror doesn't have any genes (i.e. patterns). the tertiary (Aqua) only shows up if the gene is something other than Basic.

@After @SummoningCircles

Small typo :) The hatchling's primary colour is Storm.

tumblr_inline_nhxp29cBNA1qcphlu.png
Buying an additional apparel slot
unlocks it for ALL your dragons,
not just one!
1 2