Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Generation Two in the AH & Dragon Search
1 2 3 4
[center][emoji=imperial star size=2][/center] [b]TL;DR :[/b] A drop down for gen2s. So there'd be Gen1, Gen2, Gen3+ [b]For those who love to read :[/b] Back when we got the wonderful AH update I had hoped for a gen two dropdown or some way to make it easier to find them. If I recall correctly they weren't viewed as popular enough and/or "what makes a gen2?" (being parented by two gen1 dragons) As the owner of a decently populated gen2 server and poster over in Simply Impish I'd have to say they're pretty popular and that's growing. Part of the reason folks have a tough time is it's currently hard to find gen2s especially if you try the AH. I'll stop now, but if you're into the idea I'd love support ;) [center](I read the info/rules post before writing this up, hopefully I'm not messing up)[/center]
TL;DR : A drop down for gen2s. So there'd be Gen1, Gen2, Gen3+

For those who love to read :
Back when we got the wonderful AH update I had hoped for a gen two dropdown or some way to make it easier to find them.
If I recall correctly they weren't viewed as popular enough and/or "what makes a gen2?" (being parented by two gen1 dragons)

As the owner of a decently populated gen2 server and poster over in Simply Impish I'd have to say they're pretty popular and that's growing.

Part of the reason folks have a tough time is it's currently hard to find gen2s especially if you try the AH.

I'll stop now, but if you're into the idea I'd love support ;)

(I read the info/rules post before writing this up, hopefully I'm not messing up)
SUPPORT

I would love this SO MUCH, honestly. If I could go into the AH and just click to buy a g2 (heavily thinking of imps here) I would be so happy. I have trouble believing they aren't popular enough, just from imps alone haha

I think it could be really cool to add a way to search for pure dragons, for those who like to try keeping pure lines... but that isn't necessarily what this post is about, I just think it'd be a sweet extra.

I've seen both features added to other games I play and it's incredibly useful and has helped the community thrive.
SUPPORT

I would love this SO MUCH, honestly. If I could go into the AH and just click to buy a g2 (heavily thinking of imps here) I would be so happy. I have trouble believing they aren't popular enough, just from imps alone haha

I think it could be really cool to add a way to search for pure dragons, for those who like to try keeping pure lines... but that isn't necessarily what this post is about, I just think it'd be a sweet extra.

I've seen both features added to other games I play and it's incredibly useful and has helped the community thrive.
Slava Ukraini! Glory to the heroes ♥
nOym9gW.png
Support.

I'd use this not just for Imps, but for all breeds. Sometimes my oh-so-particular tastes means I can't necessarily get the dragon I want as a G1, and so for me, G2 is a nice second.

A lot of people will breed-changed G1s when a new breed is released so they can sell G2 offspring of the new breed, and it'd be nice to be able to separate them from other dragons. I know a few people who like to collect offspring from progens, which are G2, and having this dropdown would make it a lot easier for them to do that.
Support.

I'd use this not just for Imps, but for all breeds. Sometimes my oh-so-particular tastes means I can't necessarily get the dragon I want as a G1, and so for me, G2 is a nice second.

A lot of people will breed-changed G1s when a new breed is released so they can sell G2 offspring of the new breed, and it'd be nice to be able to separate them from other dragons. I know a few people who like to collect offspring from progens, which are G2, and having this dropdown would make it a lot easier for them to do that.
ZqykQT5.pngmHwnQKP.pngfgbtR64.png
support - we can specify for g1s, so no reason why not for g2s! just because not every single person would use it doesn't mean it wouldn't be a nice feature. would make finding g2 imps a lot easier
support - we can specify for g1s, so no reason why not for g2s! just because not every single person would use it doesn't mean it wouldn't be a nice feature. would make finding g2 imps a lot easier
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
support! i know a few folks who collect progen kids specifically, and honestly g2 dergs are just neat in general c:
support! i know a few folks who collect progen kids specifically, and honestly g2 dergs are just neat in general c:
ring_clear_the_bells_of_ecruteak_fr_sig_size_by_arkinine-dck2tke.png
No support for a simple problem: what is a G2? As far as I know, there are two definitions floating around, one where both parents have to be G1s and another where only one has to be G1 - whichever option staff chooses, they will be codifying something that has no objective differences from a random Gmany. I believe that staff should be making as few as possible subjective choices that do not directly affect gameplay (that is, they shouldn't be dictating the "correct" way to play the game outside of actual gameplay mechanics) and this would certainly be a subjective choice.
No support for a simple problem: what is a G2? As far as I know, there are two definitions floating around, one where both parents have to be G1s and another where only one has to be G1 - whichever option staff chooses, they will be codifying something that has no objective differences from a random Gmany. I believe that staff should be making as few as possible subjective choices that do not directly affect gameplay (that is, they shouldn't be dictating the "correct" way to play the game outside of actual gameplay mechanics) and this would certainly be a subjective choice.
JQQ3Fjt.png
I mean... if you go by the actual definition of second generation in almost all usages, it all relates to both parents being of some sort of specified "specialty". In the case of FR, the reason there are considered to be multiple definitions floating around is actually generally due to dragons such as Naomi, Talos and his sisters, and other multi-generational dragons. When referring to them, they are referred to as "G3 Naomi" or "G3 Talos" because they are three generations from each of the dragons that are being mentioned. That does not make them that specific generation, however, in anything other than distance from the parent/s that are considered the most important.

Looking at other pet sites I have been on/am playing, to be classified as G2 means to have both parents as G1s. Otherwise it's not really a G2. This would be the simplest, easiest, and most reasonable way to go about it. If we assume a G2 is G1 x any generation, half of the dragons on site (hyperbole, don't take that literally) are going to show up.

In regards to the "no effect on gameplay" aspect, neither do ID numbers. Yet we can search by those because it became so popular as to make it easier on players that wanted to search for those specifics. There's no dictation here on how to play the game by adding a convenience feature. G1s are listed on their own as a dropdown (not a checkbox, which has significance). Does that mean we need to play as a G1 lair just because it exists? Is FR trying to tell me I should collect G1s and only G1s, or use them in some specific way? What about ID numbers? Should I be collecting those too because the site lists them on an optional dropdown for dragon preferences? No.

The idea that because these dragons have no mechanical difference is truly one that boggles my mind because the same can be said about literally any dragon of any ID, barring if they have G1 status. If it were so important for them to have mechanical difference to be added to an optional dropdown, the ID dropdown would not exist in the first place. IDs are just as subjective as G2 and, since we have those, this isn't an unreasonable ask either.
I mean... if you go by the actual definition of second generation in almost all usages, it all relates to both parents being of some sort of specified "specialty". In the case of FR, the reason there are considered to be multiple definitions floating around is actually generally due to dragons such as Naomi, Talos and his sisters, and other multi-generational dragons. When referring to them, they are referred to as "G3 Naomi" or "G3 Talos" because they are three generations from each of the dragons that are being mentioned. That does not make them that specific generation, however, in anything other than distance from the parent/s that are considered the most important.

Looking at other pet sites I have been on/am playing, to be classified as G2 means to have both parents as G1s. Otherwise it's not really a G2. This would be the simplest, easiest, and most reasonable way to go about it. If we assume a G2 is G1 x any generation, half of the dragons on site (hyperbole, don't take that literally) are going to show up.

In regards to the "no effect on gameplay" aspect, neither do ID numbers. Yet we can search by those because it became so popular as to make it easier on players that wanted to search for those specifics. There's no dictation here on how to play the game by adding a convenience feature. G1s are listed on their own as a dropdown (not a checkbox, which has significance). Does that mean we need to play as a G1 lair just because it exists? Is FR trying to tell me I should collect G1s and only G1s, or use them in some specific way? What about ID numbers? Should I be collecting those too because the site lists them on an optional dropdown for dragon preferences? No.

The idea that because these dragons have no mechanical difference is truly one that boggles my mind because the same can be said about literally any dragon of any ID, barring if they have G1 status. If it were so important for them to have mechanical difference to be added to an optional dropdown, the ID dropdown would not exist in the first place. IDs are just as subjective as G2 and, since we have those, this isn't an unreasonable ask either.
[quote name="RedWillia" date="2022-10-08 13:36:51" ] No support for a simple problem: what is a G2? As far as I know, there are two definitions floating around, one where both parents have to be G1s and another where only one has to be G1 - whichever option staff chooses, they will be codifying something that has no objective differences from a random Gmany. I believe that staff should be making as few as possible subjective choices that do not directly affect gameplay (that is, they shouldn't be dictating the "correct" way to play the game outside of actual gameplay mechanics) and this would certainly be a subjective choice. [/quote] The problem with only one parent being a g1 is that that is inherently [i]not[/i] a g2. The generation of that child would be +1 to whatever that non-g1 parent was, because that's how generations work. 20+ gens of dragons aren't just suddenly going to cease to exist in this theoretical hatchling's lineage just because one parent is a g1, there's a whole dang family tree on that other side
RedWillia wrote on 2022-10-08 13:36:51:
The problem with only one parent being a g1 is that that is inherently not a g2. The generation of that child would be +1 to whatever that non-g1 parent was, because that's how generations work.

20+ gens of dragons aren't just suddenly going to cease to exist in this theoretical hatchling's lineage just because one parent is a g1, there's a whole dang family tree on that other side
ring_clear_the_bells_of_ecruteak_fr_sig_size_by_arkinine-dck2tke.png
Support on this. I'm a g2 collector and this would be a great feature. I am concerned that this would be difficult to implement (I have no idea on how viable the idea is) but I would love to see this as a feature, for sure.
Support on this. I'm a g2 collector and this would be a great feature. I am concerned that this would be difficult to implement (I have no idea on how viable the idea is) but I would love to see this as a feature, for sure.
1xcX4j2.gif
[quote name="RedWillia" date="2022-10-08 13:36:51" ] No support for a simple problem: what is a G2? As far as I know, there are two definitions floating around, one where both parents have to be G1s and another where only one has to be G1 - whichever option staff chooses, they will be codifying something that has no objective differences from a random Gmany. I believe that staff should be making as few as possible subjective choices that do not directly affect gameplay (that is, they shouldn't be dictating the "correct" way to play the game outside of actual gameplay mechanics) and this would certainly be a subjective choice. [/quote] i don't think anybody defines a g2 as only having one g1 parent? both parents have to be g1s or it isn't a g2, that's universally accepted from my experience.
RedWillia wrote on 2022-10-08 13:36:51:

i don't think anybody defines a g2 as only having one g1 parent? both parents have to be g1s or it isn't a g2, that's universally accepted from my experience.
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
1 2 3 4