Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | podcast recs?
1 2
getting back into minecraft with some friends and thought i'd try a podcast or two!

i'd like to listen to dnd podcasts, so recommendations for those are welcome, and also any other kind of podcasts, although i lean more toward fictional stories
getting back into minecraft with some friends and thought i'd try a podcast or two!

i'd like to listen to dnd podcasts, so recommendations for those are welcome, and also any other kind of podcasts, although i lean more toward fictional stories
tumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o1_r2_250.gif
they/them it/its
@kryptidkoffee

Howdy!! For D&D/actual play there's The Adventure Zone and Not Another D&D podcast, both of which have multiple campaigns. TAZ: Balance is lovely and I believe it has around 69 episodes and a lovely story. They are kind of all learning how to play and the DM is learning at first but it really does pick up. I just started naddpod so I can't say much but the party is super fun! TAZ was my gateway into fiction podcasts!

As for others, some of my favorite audio dramas/audio fiction right now are Wolf 359 and Greater Boston.

Wolf 359 is a sci-fi comedy-drama that has 61 main episodes (with some longer special ones and minisodes that are super cool as well) following a small crew on a spaceship in the Gemini constellation. Doug, the first character you meet is scanning the stars for signs of alien life! You meet more characters along the way and the stakes start out small but they don't stay that way... Honestly, it's one of my favorite pieces of media everywhere and it has an excellent commentary on themes of morality, smaller vs bigger picture, risk, hierarchy, redemption, trust, capitalism, pushing boundaries, and the overall value of human life.

Greater Boston is kinda hard to explain, but it's clever and charming! It's got about just under 100 episodes out (30ish full episodes but lots of mini-episodes that are just as important). It's spec fiction that takes place in alt-reality Boston area. It's weird, it's strange, it's got cheese robots. But despite everything, it's just so real. There are a lot of characters, but they are all so human and unique, and it's got LGBTQ+ rep! A lot of the characters foil each other, and everyone matters. At first, it's got a sort of monologue-type style until the characters start talking to each other and learning. It's got insightful political commentary (racial injustice, corrupt justice system, etc.) about real-world issues! Fun 4th wall moments! Without spoiling much, it starts with the death of a man on a roller coaster and how it affects and spirals. It deals with grief and butterfly effects as well as stuff like dependence, family, and connections. It also deals with a subway line trying to secede and become its own city. Honestly a hidden gem. It doesn't have nearly enough of a following as it should have and I will take any chance I get to promote it :)

@kryptidkoffee

Howdy!! For D&D/actual play there's The Adventure Zone and Not Another D&D podcast, both of which have multiple campaigns. TAZ: Balance is lovely and I believe it has around 69 episodes and a lovely story. They are kind of all learning how to play and the DM is learning at first but it really does pick up. I just started naddpod so I can't say much but the party is super fun! TAZ was my gateway into fiction podcasts!

As for others, some of my favorite audio dramas/audio fiction right now are Wolf 359 and Greater Boston.

Wolf 359 is a sci-fi comedy-drama that has 61 main episodes (with some longer special ones and minisodes that are super cool as well) following a small crew on a spaceship in the Gemini constellation. Doug, the first character you meet is scanning the stars for signs of alien life! You meet more characters along the way and the stakes start out small but they don't stay that way... Honestly, it's one of my favorite pieces of media everywhere and it has an excellent commentary on themes of morality, smaller vs bigger picture, risk, hierarchy, redemption, trust, capitalism, pushing boundaries, and the overall value of human life.

Greater Boston is kinda hard to explain, but it's clever and charming! It's got about just under 100 episodes out (30ish full episodes but lots of mini-episodes that are just as important). It's spec fiction that takes place in alt-reality Boston area. It's weird, it's strange, it's got cheese robots. But despite everything, it's just so real. There are a lot of characters, but they are all so human and unique, and it's got LGBTQ+ rep! A lot of the characters foil each other, and everyone matters. At first, it's got a sort of monologue-type style until the characters start talking to each other and learning. It's got insightful political commentary (racial injustice, corrupt justice system, etc.) about real-world issues! Fun 4th wall moments! Without spoiling much, it starts with the death of a man on a roller coaster and how it affects and spirals. It deals with grief and butterfly effects as well as stuff like dependence, family, and connections. It also deals with a subway line trying to secede and become its own city. Honestly a hidden gem. It doesn't have nearly enough of a following as it should have and I will take any chance I get to promote it :)

fKJwbdW.png
@Mynty

thank you so much for the recs! i'll probably check out the adventure zone, since i read the first graphic novel but i'll also check out the others you suggested (maybe if i remember) thank you again!
@Mynty

thank you so much for the recs! i'll probably check out the adventure zone, since i read the first graphic novel but i'll also check out the others you suggested (maybe if i remember) thank you again!
tumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o1_r2_250.gif
they/them it/its
For D&D pocasts, I highly recommend Dimension 20 and Not Another D&D Podcast. D20 has seasons free on youtube though, and the visuals do enhance the experience a lot. D20 is also notorious for being shorter than most actual plays, and it's very comedy-forward so it helps keep my attention. As for Naddpod, I admit it took me a sec to get into it (specifically it took me til The Galaderon arc), but once I did it hasn't left my brain since. I binged the last 30 eps and cried the entire time lmao.

I don't know how you feel about Batman, but Batman: Unburied is excellent. The characterizations, writing, sound design, pacing? Chef's kiss.
For D&D pocasts, I highly recommend Dimension 20 and Not Another D&D Podcast. D20 has seasons free on youtube though, and the visuals do enhance the experience a lot. D20 is also notorious for being shorter than most actual plays, and it's very comedy-forward so it helps keep my attention. As for Naddpod, I admit it took me a sec to get into it (specifically it took me til The Galaderon arc), but once I did it hasn't left my brain since. I binged the last 30 eps and cried the entire time lmao.

I don't know how you feel about Batman, but Batman: Unburied is excellent. The characterizations, writing, sound design, pacing? Chef's kiss.
kal. she/they. 22. fr+15.
UmbraWL.pngAmaranthineBL.pngApricitaIT.pngshapelight-prodart-sig.pngRevenantFD.pngDahliaDS.pngArchmageDSE.png
I also have a couple (Note: There is a heavy horror focus, as I love the medium of audio for horror. It just hits a nice midpoint for me where it's visceral enough to be more engaging than horror prose can, while not being so visceral that I get too scared/squicked out like a lot of horror movies do.):

Boston Harbor Horror: A member of the Coast Guard finds a strange artifact on a rescue, and through his investigations into it gets drawn into all kinds of horrifying supernatural happenings. Partially recommending it because though it's not an actual play podcast, it definitely gives off the vibes of a Call of Cthulhu campaign.

A Voice from Darkness: Stars a parapsychologist who has a radio show devoted to helping people with their supernatural problems. There's a plot emerging between the episodes centered around the mysterious Traveling Salesman. Kind of like an American Magnus Archives (to the point where at some point, I want to write a fic crossing the two over), though it definitely has its own vibe.

The White Vault: Found footage recordings from an ill-fated expedition to a research station in Svalbard, where the expedition members are being hunted by a strange monster, all while an unnaturally harsh and long-lasting winter storm is raging. Has a bit of a slow-paced beginning, but when it gets going, it really gets going, and the slow pacing does help you feel for the characters when they inevitably die.

Dungeons/Shadows/Fate of Drakkenheim (each season has a different title): Actual play DnD podcast about events surrounding a city that got hit with a strange meteor about 20 years before the events of the story, destroying large parts of it and covering the rest of it in strange crystals and a haze that either kills or mutates living things in it. There's some nice horror and character interactions in it, and the cast have great chemistry with each other. I'd actually probably recommend starting with Campaign 2, Shadows of Drakkenheim, as it at least starts out fairly disconnected with Campaign 1 (the two do cross over more after like the 2/3 point, so my personal strategy was to do episodes 1-34 of Shadows, watch all of Dungeons, then go back to Shadows. I have not yet gotten to Fate yet.), and it's after the point where the players have gotten more experience doing a live play, so it runs a lot smoother and is easier to get into.

Also, Night Vale and The Magnus Archives are definitely worth listens, though I'm not going to go as deeply in them due to being pretty behind in both, and the fact that they are both popular enough that I'm fairly certain someone else in this thread will recommend them and give a better description/pitch than I can.

Also, not a fiction podcast, but I really like Writing Excuses. It's a podcast where some combination of Dan Wells, Howard Tayler, Brandon Sanderson, Mary Robinette Kowal, and any number of other guest authors get together and take 15-20 minutes discussing some aspect of writing craft. All of them have great chemistry, it's really enjoyable to listen to, and I've learned so much about writing from it.
I also have a couple (Note: There is a heavy horror focus, as I love the medium of audio for horror. It just hits a nice midpoint for me where it's visceral enough to be more engaging than horror prose can, while not being so visceral that I get too scared/squicked out like a lot of horror movies do.):

Boston Harbor Horror: A member of the Coast Guard finds a strange artifact on a rescue, and through his investigations into it gets drawn into all kinds of horrifying supernatural happenings. Partially recommending it because though it's not an actual play podcast, it definitely gives off the vibes of a Call of Cthulhu campaign.

A Voice from Darkness: Stars a parapsychologist who has a radio show devoted to helping people with their supernatural problems. There's a plot emerging between the episodes centered around the mysterious Traveling Salesman. Kind of like an American Magnus Archives (to the point where at some point, I want to write a fic crossing the two over), though it definitely has its own vibe.

The White Vault: Found footage recordings from an ill-fated expedition to a research station in Svalbard, where the expedition members are being hunted by a strange monster, all while an unnaturally harsh and long-lasting winter storm is raging. Has a bit of a slow-paced beginning, but when it gets going, it really gets going, and the slow pacing does help you feel for the characters when they inevitably die.

Dungeons/Shadows/Fate of Drakkenheim (each season has a different title): Actual play DnD podcast about events surrounding a city that got hit with a strange meteor about 20 years before the events of the story, destroying large parts of it and covering the rest of it in strange crystals and a haze that either kills or mutates living things in it. There's some nice horror and character interactions in it, and the cast have great chemistry with each other. I'd actually probably recommend starting with Campaign 2, Shadows of Drakkenheim, as it at least starts out fairly disconnected with Campaign 1 (the two do cross over more after like the 2/3 point, so my personal strategy was to do episodes 1-34 of Shadows, watch all of Dungeons, then go back to Shadows. I have not yet gotten to Fate yet.), and it's after the point where the players have gotten more experience doing a live play, so it runs a lot smoother and is easier to get into.

Also, Night Vale and The Magnus Archives are definitely worth listens, though I'm not going to go as deeply in them due to being pretty behind in both, and the fact that they are both popular enough that I'm fairly certain someone else in this thread will recommend them and give a better description/pitch than I can.

Also, not a fiction podcast, but I really like Writing Excuses. It's a podcast where some combination of Dan Wells, Howard Tayler, Brandon Sanderson, Mary Robinette Kowal, and any number of other guest authors get together and take 15-20 minutes discussing some aspect of writing craft. All of them have great chemistry, it's really enjoyable to listen to, and I've learned so much about writing from it.
I recommend SAYER, which is about the titular AI talking to you, the listener, who in universe is a resident of a space station run by a shady company called Aerolith. Lots of dark humour, very snarky. Just getting into it myself but from what I've looked at it's worth it.
I recommend SAYER, which is about the titular AI talking to you, the listener, who in universe is a resident of a space station run by a shady company called Aerolith. Lots of dark humour, very snarky. Just getting into it myself but from what I've looked at it's worth it.
zdkBiZa.png
Unprepared Casters is a great DnD podcast that i've been listening to a lot lately!
Unprepared Casters is a great DnD podcast that i've been listening to a lot lately!
hIRhjMz.png
FroggedFriend
+2 FR Time | They/Them | Arcane
*busts through wall like the kool aid man*

Did someone say they want DnD podcast recs?

Well since you asked, Listen to just roll with it! It's a really fun ride and the characters are all amazing, the current main campaign is called riptide and is about pirates if that's your thing. And if you enjoy that one and can afford it there are two other campaigns on their patreon (that are also both very good)
*busts through wall like the kool aid man*

Did someone say they want DnD podcast recs?

Well since you asked, Listen to just roll with it! It's a really fun ride and the characters are all amazing, the current main campaign is called riptide and is about pirates if that's your thing. And if you enjoy that one and can afford it there are two other campaigns on their patreon (that are also both very good)
-Twigg-
-they/she/moth/ey/raven Gr15mqs.png advAsr3.png-
-+2 fr time-
This is something of a tentative recommendation, since I'm still listening it through, but I'd have to say WOE.BEGONE. I can't say much, since the story is massively improved by going in not knowing what's going on, but it's an excellent sci-fi thriller. Listen to the first episode in full, then you'll figure out if you enjoy it or not.
This is something of a tentative recommendation, since I'm still listening it through, but I'd have to say WOE.BEGONE. I can't say much, since the story is massively improved by going in not knowing what's going on, but it's an excellent sci-fi thriller. Listen to the first episode in full, then you'll figure out if you enjoy it or not.
D85VtAy.png _____ >> Tumblr | Ao3

>> Reef Water Radio

>> FAQ
seconding the TAZ and D20 recs! very lovely people involved in those games. really awesome stories and characters in all of their campaigns. Wolf 359 is my all-time favourite podcast as well.... King Falls AM is incredible too but i'd caution you getting into it only because it's been on a long hiatus after a huge cliffhanger :') SAYER's a lot of fun too
seconding the TAZ and D20 recs! very lovely people involved in those games. really awesome stories and characters in all of their campaigns. Wolf 359 is my all-time favourite podcast as well.... King Falls AM is incredible too but i'd caution you getting into it only because it's been on a long hiatus after a huge cliffhanger :') SAYER's a lot of fun too
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Sailor
she/he
milkchai-cacat.png
1 2