Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Optional setting: parental titles
1 2
[quote name="Almedha" date="2022-05-15 16:00:06" ] [quote name="wittykitsune" date="2022-05-15 14:30:32" ] The thing about the nesting grounds is you could never have it be accurate if your lair has many different parent situations. You could only have the two titles so it will never be able to be properly accurate. [/quote] It says it is an option in dragon settings, not the nesting grounds. I assume this title would be on each dragon and would change the mother and father titles to whatever it says for that dragon. And if it says nothing, it defaults to the original. As long as these titles were erased upon transfer to another user, I guess I can't think of a reason why not? I'm also assuming the nesting grounds is the only place this shows though. [/quote] Yeah! These would be for individual dragons so it wouldn't mess with the nesting grounds too much. It would also show in settings but beyond that, it is just a small thing you can use if you ever feel like giving your dragon a different title, ya know? Just a self-contained type of feature if it gets considered.
Almedha wrote on 2022-05-15 16:00:06:
wittykitsune wrote on 2022-05-15 14:30:32:
The thing about the nesting grounds is you could never have it be accurate if your lair has many different parent situations. You could only have the two titles so it will never be able to be properly accurate.
It says it is an option in dragon settings, not the nesting grounds. I assume this title would be on each dragon and would change the mother and father titles to whatever it says for that dragon. And if it says nothing, it defaults to the original.

As long as these titles were erased upon transfer to another user, I guess I can't think of a reason why not? I'm also assuming the nesting grounds is the only place this shows though.
Yeah! These would be for individual dragons so it wouldn't mess with the nesting grounds too much. It would also show in settings but beyond that, it is just a small thing you can use if you ever feel like giving your dragon a different title, ya know? Just a self-contained type of feature if it gets considered.
[quote name="hydde" date="2022-05-16 04:38:27" ] This is cute, but I think I would prefer the sub-suggestions others have proposed in the comments. I think adding a new variable to a dragon that would only be visible on one page for 10 seconds while you're selecting parents for the new nest might be a bit of an overkill in terms of the amount of effort that would br needed to be put into coding. I'd rather see Father and Mother be replaced with something similar to this: [center][size=5]Parent[color=transparent]_[/color][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/layout/lair/icons/male.png[/img][color=transparent]___[/color]/[color=transparent]___[/color]Parent[color=transparent]_[/color][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/layout/lair/icons/female.png[/img] [/center] [/quote] I think this would be a better option to start with - It seems like a quicker, easier solution than to try and implement variable titles IMO. Just a quick replacement of the mother/father for parent()
hydde wrote on 2022-05-16 04:38:27:
This is cute, but I think I would prefer the sub-suggestions others have proposed in the comments. I think adding a new variable to a dragon that would only be visible on one page for 10 seconds while you're selecting parents for the new nest might be a bit of an overkill in terms of the amount of effort that would br needed to be put into coding. I'd rather see Father and Mother be replaced with something similar to this:
Parent_male.png___/___Parent_female.png

I think this would be a better option to start with - It seems like a quicker, easier solution than to try and implement variable titles IMO. Just a quick replacement of the mother/father for parent()

[quote name="Orikalyn" date="2022-05-16 13:36:24" ] [quote name="hydde" date="2022-05-16 04:38:27" ] This is cute, but I think I would prefer the sub-suggestions others have proposed in the comments. I think adding a new variable to a dragon that would only be visible on one page for 10 seconds while you're selecting parents for the new nest might be a bit of an overkill in terms of the amount of effort that would br needed to be put into coding. I'd rather see Father and Mother be replaced with something similar to this: [center][size=5]Parent[color=transparent]_[/color][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/layout/lair/icons/male.png[/img][color=transparent]___[/color]/[color=transparent]___[/color]Parent[color=transparent]_[/color][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/layout/lair/icons/female.png[/img] [/center] [/quote] I think this would be a better option to start with - It seems like a quicker, easier solution than to try and implement variable titles IMO. Just a quick replacement of the mother/father for parent() [/quote] I agree, maybe something could change after, but this seems like a good start. I'm not sure on the logistics of coding everything, but this seems a lot easier to do than the open text box option right out of the gate.
Orikalyn wrote on 2022-05-16 13:36:24:
This is cute, but I think I would prefer the sub-suggestions others have proposed in the comments. I think adding a new variable to a dragon that would only be visible on one page for 10 seconds while you're selecting parents for the new nest might be a bit of an overkill in terms of the amount of effort that would br needed to be put into coding. I'd rather see Father and Mother be replaced with something similar to this:

I think this would be a better option to start with - It seems like a quicker, easier solution than to try and implement variable titles IMO. Just a quick replacement of the mother/father for parent()
I agree, maybe something could change after, but this seems like a good start. I'm not sure on the logistics of coding everything, but this seems a lot easier to do than the open text box option right out of the gate.
66283183.png 66719993.png
[quote name="fluteloops0329" date="2022-05-16 13:45:27" ] [quote name="Orikalyn" date="2022-05-16 13:36:24" ] [quote name="hydde" date="2022-05-16 04:38:27" ] This is cute, but I think I would prefer the sub-suggestions others have proposed in the comments. I think adding a new variable to a dragon that would only be visible on one page for 10 seconds while you're selecting parents for the new nest might be a bit of an overkill in terms of the amount of effort that would br needed to be put into coding. I'd rather see Father and Mother be replaced with something similar to this: [center][size=5]Parent[color=transparent]_[/color][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/layout/lair/icons/male.png[/img][color=transparent]___[/color]/[color=transparent]___[/color]Parent[color=transparent]_[/color][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/layout/lair/icons/female.png[/img] [/center] [/quote] I think this would be a better option to start with - It seems like a quicker, easier solution than to try and implement variable titles IMO. Just a quick replacement of the mother/father for parent() [/quote] I agree, maybe something will change later, but this seems like a good start. I'm not sure on the logistics of coding everything, but this seems a lot easier to do than the open text box option right out of the gate. [/quote] While the amount of effort it might take for a dev to implement something is a decent concern I want to mention that it shouldn't necessarily break a suggestion. I mean, just look at all the big updates they have done! I still think an add for parental titles would be nice. It could allow dragons to use a different gendered title or no gender title at all. It would be individually tied to the dragon so this wouldn't really change much beyond that. Plus, it is optional so anyone who wouldn't want it could just ignore it.
fluteloops0329 wrote on 2022-05-16 13:45:27:

I agree, maybe something will change later, but this seems like a good start. I'm not sure on the logistics of coding everything, but this seems a lot easier to do than the open text box option right out of the gate.
While the amount of effort it might take for a dev to implement something is a decent concern I want to mention that it shouldn't necessarily break a suggestion. I mean, just look at all the big updates they have done!
I still think an add for parental titles would be nice. It could allow dragons to use a different gendered title or no gender title at all. It would be individually tied to the dragon so this wouldn't really change much beyond that. Plus, it is optional so anyone who wouldn't want it could just ignore it.
[quote name="Swampbird" date="2022-05-16 13:53:34" ] [quote name="fluteloops0329" date="2022-05-16 13:45:27" ] [quote name="Orikalyn" date="2022-05-16 13:36:24" ] [quote name="hydde" date="2022-05-16 04:38:27" ] This is cute, but I think I would prefer the sub-suggestions others have proposed in the comments. I think adding a new variable to a dragon that would only be visible on one page for 10 seconds while you're selecting parents for the new nest might be a bit of an overkill in terms of the amount of effort that would br needed to be put into coding. I'd rather see Father and Mother be replaced with something similar to this: [center][size=5]Parent[color=transparent]_[/color][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/layout/lair/icons/male.png[/img][color=transparent]___[/color]/[color=transparent]___[/color]Parent[color=transparent]_[/color][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/layout/lair/icons/female.png[/img] [/center] [/quote] I think this would be a better option to start with - It seems like a quicker, easier solution than to try and implement variable titles IMO. Just a quick replacement of the mother/father for parent() [/quote] I agree, maybe something will change later, but this seems like a good start. I'm not sure on the logistics of coding everything, but this seems a lot easier to do than the open text box option right out of the gate. [/quote] While the amount of effort it might take for a dev to implement something is a decent concern I want to mention that it shouldn't necessarily break a suggestion. I mean, just look at all the big updates they have done! I still think an add for parental titles would be nice. It could allow dragons to use a different gendered title or no gender title at all. It would be individually tied to the dragon so this wouldn't really change much beyond that. Plus, it is optional so anyone who wouldn't want it could just ignore it. [/quote] I understand what you mean, and I'm not saying they should ignore your suggestion. I'm just saying that I think the devs should start with changing the titles to Parent (Male) / Parent (Female) for now to get rid of the titles Father / Mother quicker and avoid mislabeling our dragons in that way. Edit to add: A lot of the other large updates FR has gone through were long time coming. The devs worked on them for a long time. I'm not sure how big this change would be, so I'm agreeing with a suggestion that could help people uncomfortable with the titles Father / Mother until a time if/when your suggestion would get implemented.
Swampbird wrote on 2022-05-16 13:53:34:
fluteloops0329 wrote on 2022-05-16 13:45:27:

I agree, maybe something will change later, but this seems like a good start. I'm not sure on the logistics of coding everything, but this seems a lot easier to do than the open text box option right out of the gate.
While the amount of effort it might take for a dev to implement something is a decent concern I want to mention that it shouldn't necessarily break a suggestion. I mean, just look at all the big updates they have done!
I still think an add for parental titles would be nice. It could allow dragons to use a different gendered title or no gender title at all. It would be individually tied to the dragon so this wouldn't really change much beyond that. Plus, it is optional so anyone who wouldn't want it could just ignore it.
I understand what you mean, and I'm not saying they should ignore your suggestion. I'm just saying that I think the devs should start with changing the titles to Parent (Male) / Parent (Female) for now to get rid of the titles Father / Mother quicker and avoid mislabeling our dragons in that way.

Edit to add: A lot of the other large updates FR has gone through were long time coming. The devs worked on them for a long time. I'm not sure how big this change would be, so I'm agreeing with a suggestion that could help people uncomfortable with the titles Father / Mother until a time if/when your suggestion would get implemented.
66283183.png 66719993.png
Support is tentative depending on whether these custom titles would completely remove the reference to the dragon's sex, for clarity of information.

Especially because FR is used by a lot of younger players and players whose first language isn't English, my concern would be making important information regarding a major site mechanic obfuscated for people who might have difficulty adapting to the new system.

I think Parent (male) / Parent (female) or reducing the titles to simply male/female or the venus/mars symbols would be a better way to remove the terms mother and father without hurting visibility.
Support is tentative depending on whether these custom titles would completely remove the reference to the dragon's sex, for clarity of information.

Especially because FR is used by a lot of younger players and players whose first language isn't English, my concern would be making important information regarding a major site mechanic obfuscated for people who might have difficulty adapting to the new system.

I think Parent (male) / Parent (female) or reducing the titles to simply male/female or the venus/mars symbols would be a better way to remove the terms mother and father without hurting visibility.
5a8uMoF.png   
« snailie »
• female
• FR +3
• rp / lore clan

   art shop
bio codes
hatchery
clan lore
If this were a completely optional change (including the change of 'mother/father' to 'parent (female)/parent(male)') then I wouldn't mind.

The default would be as it is now, with the ability to optionally change it for those who want.

This way those who are, as snailie mentioned, young or don't have english as a first language, wouldn't have to worry about symbols (as in using the venus/mars symbol instead of the words 'male/female') or be confused about exactly what is meant in the nesting grounds.
If this were a completely optional change (including the change of 'mother/father' to 'parent (female)/parent(male)') then I wouldn't mind.

The default would be as it is now, with the ability to optionally change it for those who want.

This way those who are, as snailie mentioned, young or don't have english as a first language, wouldn't have to worry about symbols (as in using the venus/mars symbol instead of the words 'male/female') or be confused about exactly what is meant in the nesting grounds.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
... Why not just put these things in your dragons bio? Wouldn't it be easier to do that rather than coding in however many options people want for just the nesting grounds?
... Why not just put these things in your dragons bio? Wouldn't it be easier to do that rather than coding in however many options people want for just the nesting grounds?
899b13958bd8dd6201cfc8808fbe7689b2ce2e3d.png
FbBE7dN.png
bYt72YT.png
y2UYCzJ.png
a69iToJ.png
mlHpBMC.png
Ap2AjBP.gif
o090-d01-Sinornis.pngo090-d02-Sinornis.pngo090-d03-Sinornis.pngo090-d04-Sinornis.pngo090-d05-Sinornis.png
[quote name="Sinornis" date="2022-05-17 05:22:36" ] ... Why not just put these things in your dragons bio? Wouldn't it be easier to do that rather than coding in however many options people want for just the nesting grounds? [/quote] Because the software misgenders your dragons. It would be WAY too much effort to type in the exact thing for every hatchling, and most people wouldn't notice. For the main thread, I don't know if this has been brought up before, but why not just change it to Parent/Parent? It's a gender-neutral term, and the people saying "Parent(Male)/Parent(Female) "would still have the misgendering issue, so why not erase the male/female show setting entirely? For choosing the breeding pair, use only the symbols.
Sinornis wrote on 2022-05-17 05:22:36:

Because the software misgenders your dragons. It would be WAY too much effort to type in the exact thing for every hatchling, and most people wouldn't notice.

For the main thread, I don't know if this has been brought up before, but why not just change it to Parent/Parent? It's a gender-neutral term, and the people saying "Parent(Male)/Parent(Female) "would still have the misgendering issue, so why not erase the male/female show setting entirely? For choosing the breeding pair, use only the symbols.
lesbiancatcher.png
[quote name="Cadybug8484" date="2022-05-18 11:40:43" ] [quote name="Sinornis" date="2022-05-17 05:22:36" ] ... Why not just put these things in your dragons bio? Wouldn't it be easier to do that rather than coding in however many options people want for just the nesting grounds? [/quote] Because the software misgenders your dragons. It would be WAY too much effort to type in the exact thing for every hatchling, and most people wouldn't notice. For the main thread, I don't know if this has been brought up before, but why not just change it to Parent/Parent? It's a gender-neutral term, and the people saying "Parent(Male)/Parent(Female) "would still have the misgendering issue, so why not erase the male/female show setting entirely? For choosing the breeding pair, use only the symbols. [/quote] I don't understand how the symbol only are any better. I doubt someone who identifies as female would like to have the Mars symbol attached to them? It's a matter of mechanical sex. It has nothing to do with gender or identification. We need to keep the labels for people who don't use symbols/don't read pictures (I don't read pictures, so I would have a problem with the symbols-only approach) and people who are new to the site or breeding. A picture being "misgendered" by the website for ten seconds or less, twice a month or less, frankly seems like the smallest of prices to pay when the bio is always available. And it's not an outsized amount of effort either, at least not in the way the capitalization would seem to imply. Alternatively, change your definition of "mother" or "father" to align. That's very easy and requires no coding at all.
Cadybug8484 wrote on 2022-05-18 11:40:43:
Sinornis wrote on 2022-05-17 05:22:36:
Because the software misgenders your dragons. It would be WAY too much effort to type in the exact thing for every hatchling, and most people wouldn't notice.

For the main thread, I don't know if this has been brought up before, but why not just change it to Parent/Parent? It's a gender-neutral term, and the people saying "Parent(Male)/Parent(Female) "would still have the misgendering issue, so why not erase the male/female show setting entirely? For choosing the breeding pair, use only the symbols.
I don't understand how the symbol only are any better. I doubt someone who identifies as female would like to have the Mars symbol attached to them?

It's a matter of mechanical sex. It has nothing to do with gender or identification. We need to keep the labels for people who don't use symbols/don't read pictures (I don't read pictures, so I would have a problem with the symbols-only approach) and people who are new to the site or breeding.

A picture being "misgendered" by the website for ten seconds or less, twice a month or less, frankly seems like the smallest of prices to pay when the bio is always available. And it's not an outsized amount of effort either, at least not in the way the capitalization would seem to imply. Alternatively, change your definition of "mother" or "father" to align. That's very easy and requires no coding at all.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
1 2