Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Facts most people don't know!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[quote name="GirlGamer1001" date="2019-04-22 17:50:19" ] Orcas, aka killer whales, are not whales. They're dolphins. [/quote] This isn't true: Orcas (and all other dolphins) belong to the infraorder of Cetacea, which is composed of whales. In Cetacea, the two extant parvorders are toothed whales and baleen whales; dolphins are toothed whales. Thus, dolphins are whales, including orcas. A commonly parroted (but false) fact is that snakes "unhinge" their jaws to feed; this is false. Instead, a snake's lower mandible is not fused with one another at the "chin", and they possess a ligament where it would be fused in other animals. This allows them to stretch their bottom jaw open very wide, and wiggle their prey into their mouths. No dislocation or unhinging needed [emoji=obelisk winking size=2]
GirlGamer1001 wrote on 2019-04-22 17:50:19:
Orcas, aka killer whales, are not whales. They're dolphins.

This isn't true: Orcas (and all other dolphins) belong to the infraorder of Cetacea, which is composed of whales. In Cetacea, the two extant parvorders are toothed whales and baleen whales; dolphins are toothed whales. Thus, dolphins are whales, including orcas.

A commonly parroted (but false) fact is that snakes "unhinge" their jaws to feed; this is false. Instead, a snake's lower mandible is not fused with one another at the "chin", and they possess a ligament where it would be fused in other animals. This allows them to stretch their bottom jaw open very wide, and wiggle their prey into their mouths. No dislocation or unhinging needed
Check out my YCH thread HERE!

591.png
Dolphins sleep by shutting off one hemisphere of their brain at a time, while the other half keeps the animal breathing and has one eye active to look for predators. This is called "logging".

Spiders have been sent into orbit to test how zero gravity would effect them, they apparently wove their webs normally without any trouble.

Dolphins sleep by shutting off one hemisphere of their brain at a time, while the other half keeps the animal breathing and has one eye active to look for predators. This is called "logging".

Spiders have been sent into orbit to test how zero gravity would effect them, they apparently wove their webs normally without any trouble.

FL_QUD_THEMED_FORUM_SIG_1.png
A cat's tongue is made up of papillae which consists of keratin! Keratin also makes up our fingernails. Learned that one from Jackson Galaxy

One I didn't know until like a year or two ago
Rabbits don't have paw pads
A cat's tongue is made up of papillae which consists of keratin! Keratin also makes up our fingernails. Learned that one from Jackson Galaxy

One I didn't know until like a year or two ago
Rabbits don't have paw pads
She/Her | Pinging is always fine! | Current icon dragon is Rose | Yoyo trinket suggestion
Some snake facts!

Snakes are not entirely deaf- they do not have the structures for an outer or middle ear, but they do have one middle ear bone that allows them to detect low frequencies such as ground vibrations. Higher frequencies that travel through the air aren’t in their frequency range, however.

Gaboon vipers have an interesting feeding habit; where some species will envenomate prey and let their food wander off succumb, these vipers sink their fangs in and rear up. Luckily for them they posses the longest fangs of any venomous snake, clocking in at 2 inches, with a rather high venom yield (I think they got bumped to either second or third in the world). Good luck to any critter getting out of those! Funnily enough, gaboons are quite slow moving and rather non-confrontational. What a noodle.

Rattle snakes lead incredibly social lives! Some species live in family dens, and will even raise communal nests. While babies are fully functional from birth, rattlers have been observed staying with the babies until their first shed, and even long after. ASP has a lot of cool documentation about these behaviors; there’s still a lot to be learned about these little guys!

Quite a lot of snakes only posses one functioning lung. They have no diaphragm, but contract the muscles between their ribs to take a breath.

Snakes don’t dislocate or unhinge their jaw to swallow meals, in fact, they have no bone connecting their mandibles. Instead, they have a stretchable ligament that can expand laterally. Additionally, their mandibles are more loosely connected to the back of the skull, allowing for more maneuverability.
Some snake facts!

Snakes are not entirely deaf- they do not have the structures for an outer or middle ear, but they do have one middle ear bone that allows them to detect low frequencies such as ground vibrations. Higher frequencies that travel through the air aren’t in their frequency range, however.

Gaboon vipers have an interesting feeding habit; where some species will envenomate prey and let their food wander off succumb, these vipers sink their fangs in and rear up. Luckily for them they posses the longest fangs of any venomous snake, clocking in at 2 inches, with a rather high venom yield (I think they got bumped to either second or third in the world). Good luck to any critter getting out of those! Funnily enough, gaboons are quite slow moving and rather non-confrontational. What a noodle.

Rattle snakes lead incredibly social lives! Some species live in family dens, and will even raise communal nests. While babies are fully functional from birth, rattlers have been observed staying with the babies until their first shed, and even long after. ASP has a lot of cool documentation about these behaviors; there’s still a lot to be learned about these little guys!

Quite a lot of snakes only posses one functioning lung. They have no diaphragm, but contract the muscles between their ribs to take a breath.

Snakes don’t dislocate or unhinge their jaw to swallow meals, in fact, they have no bone connecting their mandibles. Instead, they have a stretchable ligament that can expand laterally. Additionally, their mandibles are more loosely connected to the back of the skull, allowing for more maneuverability.
NSZvCod.png
y0rbHJY.png
bYt72YT.png
AQPJNOh.png
D9xaprH.png
ZCtHkwl.png
NAh145F.png LuMKHMO.pngG8Qs5W9.gif8XSywhD.gifH0bF1BC.gifnxaQasR.png
4cdc2a9735636bd168eb917575eef8170b393f80.png
These are all very cool nature facts, but I thought I’d share this

Because of advancements in cloth-dyeing techniques since the invention of washing machines, you don’t actually have to separate your light clothes from your darks! It is recommended, sure, but not necessary. I haven’t separated my lights and darks for months, no issues have arisen.
These are all very cool nature facts, but I thought I’d share this

Because of advancements in cloth-dyeing techniques since the invention of washing machines, you don’t actually have to separate your light clothes from your darks! It is recommended, sure, but not necessary. I haven’t separated my lights and darks for months, no issues have arisen.
7eb73ea7ba19f787490a57822f0ee4885760d03e.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7