Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Wetland Cultures?
1 2
Does anyone know some specific example of cultures that exist within wetlands? I'm trying to detail a location that, due to semi-magical reasons, is permeated with wetlands. It ranges from swamps to bogs to more (not including other factors), but overall can be classified into various wetland types. There are various sapients of different body types and cultures. The relationships vary for each, ranging from friendliness to hostility. Some of the sapients (most humanoids) live in settled areas, which is why I'm trying to collect real-life knowledge.

Doing some research, I found that one crop that is possible to grow in wetlands is rice, so at least in some of the agricultural settlements, rice will be one of the main crops. It also appears there are some other potential crop options, but I still need to do more research on the subject.

I'm currently trying to build the worldbuilding from the ground (pun) up. Any resources are really appreciated.

Thank you so much for the help!
Does anyone know some specific example of cultures that exist within wetlands? I'm trying to detail a location that, due to semi-magical reasons, is permeated with wetlands. It ranges from swamps to bogs to more (not including other factors), but overall can be classified into various wetland types. There are various sapients of different body types and cultures. The relationships vary for each, ranging from friendliness to hostility. Some of the sapients (most humanoids) live in settled areas, which is why I'm trying to collect real-life knowledge.

Doing some research, I found that one crop that is possible to grow in wetlands is rice, so at least in some of the agricultural settlements, rice will be one of the main crops. It also appears there are some other potential crop options, but I still need to do more research on the subject.

I'm currently trying to build the worldbuilding from the ground (pun) up. Any resources are really appreciated.

Thank you so much for the help!
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
How about the Gulf Coast of the US?
they/them - geologist & artist

art + tabletop gaming blog
[quote name="@Halkiierid" date="2022-01-23 07:26:30" ] How about the Gulf Coast of the US? [/quote] [font=American Gothic][size=4] Thank you so much!
@Halkiierid wrote on 2022-01-23 07:26:30:

Thank you so much!
Another idea- how about a group of people who are actively trying to push back and corral the waters? Canals, dikes, you get the idea. Like the real-life Netherlands.
They might be in conflict with people who rely on the land staying swampy.
Another idea- how about a group of people who are actively trying to push back and corral the waters? Canals, dikes, you get the idea. Like the real-life Netherlands.
They might be in conflict with people who rely on the land staying swampy.
they/them - geologist & artist

art + tabletop gaming blog
May I recommend looking into the Nordic Iron age?
The area around the region was boggy and they actually harvested iron from the bogs.

Also there is a type of preservation for butter in which you bury it in a bog while in a wooden barrel or something like it. Even after centuries the butter is still edible.
May I recommend looking into the Nordic Iron age?
The area around the region was boggy and they actually harvested iron from the bogs.

Also there is a type of preservation for butter in which you bury it in a bog while in a wooden barrel or something like it. Even after centuries the butter is still edible.
sAhQN8T.png1c269cdf42db7da4517ef214bf24f65e1fab3421.png 79bdf3e03f26ca763990aa3f58ff36a432f37c6b.pngfyRIUHP.png
The North York Moors are always a fun research project! The swampy grasslands full of muddy brush are a historical jackpot for the original celtic tribes of the area before the Roman empire moved in.

The bayou areas of Florida are also very interesting with a very rich natural ecosystem that a few bayou folk managed with style.

My last recommendation would be to have a gander at the wetlands of Vietnam, and those of Ramsar in Northern Iran.

I dont know if it counts but there is a group of people in Indonesia known as fish people who deep dive on reefs to hunt for food. Very cool! They are called the Bajau! Hope this helps.
The North York Moors are always a fun research project! The swampy grasslands full of muddy brush are a historical jackpot for the original celtic tribes of the area before the Roman empire moved in.

The bayou areas of Florida are also very interesting with a very rich natural ecosystem that a few bayou folk managed with style.

My last recommendation would be to have a gander at the wetlands of Vietnam, and those of Ramsar in Northern Iran.

I dont know if it counts but there is a group of people in Indonesia known as fish people who deep dive on reefs to hunt for food. Very cool! They are called the Bajau! Hope this helps.
Researching Ireland’s bogs are a good start too! It’s also possible to get turf there, which is used to for fires and such since there aren’t that many trees there iirc. I believe I have a list of animals (magical and non-magical) that would live there because I ran a campaign (currently on hiatus, but the prep is still there) that’s heavily based on Ireland if you’d like me to send it to you!
Researching Ireland’s bogs are a good start too! It’s also possible to get turf there, which is used to for fires and such since there aren’t that many trees there iirc. I believe I have a list of animals (magical and non-magical) that would live there because I ran a campaign (currently on hiatus, but the prep is still there) that’s heavily based on Ireland if you’d like me to send it to you!
5511.png tumblr_inline_n6kdvu56Os1qlye38.gif6073.png
maybe the camargue in france could be interesting? i don't know too much about it but apparently people have been living there for ages. also they have this horse breed that i think is really neat

and then there's the spree forest which is a bog region formed by an inland river delta in germany. there is also a lot of mythology associated with it from the people who live there, maybe that could be interesting too?
maybe the camargue in france could be interesting? i don't know too much about it but apparently people have been living there for ages. also they have this horse breed that i think is really neat

and then there's the spree forest which is a bog region formed by an inland river delta in germany. there is also a lot of mythology associated with it from the people who live there, maybe that could be interesting too?
q4Td049.gif
v2PJF9u.png
06xk8gV.png
dEe2UrM.png

bCLXkrk.gif
@HawkstarTheking

@Sulfersnout

@Vrykolakas

@Antigonish

Thank you all so, so much! I’ll be editing this post when I can to give a more detailed answer to each of you. It really means a lot to me!!
@HawkstarTheking

@Sulfersnout

@Vrykolakas

@Antigonish

Thank you all so, so much! I’ll be editing this post when I can to give a more detailed answer to each of you. It really means a lot to me!!
@Requacy
Not sure if this is like 100% what ya need but
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajuns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Creole_people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayou
@Requacy
Not sure if this is like 100% what ya need but
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajuns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Creole_people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayou
Runic Bat Spectral Duskflapper Cursed Bat Armored Duskflapper Spirit of Shadow
1 2