Back

Bug Report Forums

Report bugs and errors to the Flight Rising development team.
TOPIC | High CPU Usage in Coli
1 2
@BayoDino

i should specify, my issues are happening with any tab of fr open, and i haven't been able to use the coli because of it causing huge lag spikes in weeks, which might be connected. it could just be on the front page, or a forum page, not just running the active animations
@BayoDino

i should specify, my issues are happening with any tab of fr open, and i haven't been able to use the coli because of it causing huge lag spikes in weeks, which might be connected. it could just be on the front page, or a forum page, not just running the active animations
they/them || if you're pinging me, there's only one 'i' in my username!
[quote name="@hatesprit" date="2021-09-04 12:39:13" ] @/BayoDino i should specify, my issues are happening with any tab of fr open, and i haven't been able to use the coli because of it causing huge lag spikes in weeks, which might be connected. it could just be on the front page, or a forum page, not just running the active animations [/quote] Mine doesn't peek cpu usage while I open normal tabs on FR, I use Firefox version 91.0.2
@hatesprit wrote on 2021-09-04 12:39:13:
@/BayoDino

Mine doesn't peek cpu usage while I open normal tabs on FR, I use Firefox version 91.0.2
He/They
@BayoDino
It's not uncommon to write browser-specific parts of code to handle issues like this, as different browsers work in different ways. The fact that Firefox doesn't spike has nothing to do with whether or not FR can adjust the code so that Chromium-based browsers don't.

On the general topic of this thread, I don't see big spikes from FR. If I'm, say, writing a post, it sits at 0.3-1.4% (though I do have a lot of CPU memory). Loading the coli spikes up to maybe 4.5-6.3%, but then settles back down to ~2.3%

The only extensions I have are a disabled adblock and a password manager. I'd be interested to see if peoples' numbers change in incognito mode.

EDIT: The first two times I took actions, it spiked up to 10%. I've run through several battles now and it's never gone above 4% again, usually around 3.
@BayoDino
It's not uncommon to write browser-specific parts of code to handle issues like this, as different browsers work in different ways. The fact that Firefox doesn't spike has nothing to do with whether or not FR can adjust the code so that Chromium-based browsers don't.

On the general topic of this thread, I don't see big spikes from FR. If I'm, say, writing a post, it sits at 0.3-1.4% (though I do have a lot of CPU memory). Loading the coli spikes up to maybe 4.5-6.3%, but then settles back down to ~2.3%

The only extensions I have are a disabled adblock and a password manager. I'd be interested to see if peoples' numbers change in incognito mode.

EDIT: The first two times I took actions, it spiked up to 10%. I've run through several battles now and it's never gone above 4% again, usually around 3.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
[quote name="Vendrus" date="2021-09-05 01:18:00" ] On the general topic of this thread, I don't see big spikes from FR. If I'm, say, writing a post, it sits at 0.3-1.4% (though I do have a lot of RAM). Loading the coli spikes up to maybe 4.5-6.3%, but then settles back down to ~2.3% The only extensions I have are a disabled adblock and a password manager. I'd be interested to see if peoples' numbers change in incognito mode. [/quote] My numbers did not change in incognito mode or even a completely fresh Brave install.
Vendrus wrote on 2021-09-05 01:18:00:
On the general topic of this thread, I don't see big spikes from FR. If I'm, say, writing a post, it sits at 0.3-1.4% (though I do have a lot of RAM). Loading the coli spikes up to maybe 4.5-6.3%, but then settles back down to ~2.3%

My numbers did not change in incognito mode or even a completely fresh Brave install.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
[quote name="@Vendrus" date="2021-09-05 01:18:00" ] @/BayoDino It's not uncommon to write browser-specific parts of code to handle issues like this, as different browsers work in different ways. The fact that Firefox doesn't spike has nothing to do with whether or not FR can adjust the code so that Chromium-based browsers don't. [/quote] Generally, it is the browser that compiles which consumes power. So most of times no matter how you optimize the usage is still high due to how browser works, Chrome tends to use high amount of memory and CPU power due to how it is optimized. I had to migrate to Firefox due to that lol, unless by adjusting code you mean removing most of parts which consume cpu the result could only be a raw HTML page.
@Vendrus wrote on 2021-09-05 01:18:00:
@/BayoDino
Generally, it is the browser that compiles which consumes power. So most of times no matter how you optimize the usage is still high due to how browser works, Chrome tends to use high amount of memory and CPU power due to how it is optimized.

I had to migrate to Firefox due to that lol, unless by adjusting code you mean removing most of parts which consume cpu the result could only be a raw HTML page.
He/They
@BayoDino
If you read the posts on this thread, they're talking about memory bloat that does not occur on other pages in Chrome. That means that either FR or it interaction with an extension is using more memory than other pages that you'd expect similar usage from.

There could be a memory leak somewhere. It could be poor use of resources. It could be an extension either misidentifying FR as its target (see all the issues regularly caused by tumblr extensions) or being poorly optimised. There is absolutely no justification at this time to claim that there is nothing either users or FR can do about it.

EDIT: Someone also reported the issue happening on Firefox as well, so it's either a separate issue or not directly Chromium-related.
@BayoDino
If you read the posts on this thread, they're talking about memory bloat that does not occur on other pages in Chrome. That means that either FR or it interaction with an extension is using more memory than other pages that you'd expect similar usage from.

There could be a memory leak somewhere. It could be poor use of resources. It could be an extension either misidentifying FR as its target (see all the issues regularly caused by tumblr extensions) or being poorly optimised. There is absolutely no justification at this time to claim that there is nothing either users or FR can do about it.

EDIT: Someone also reported the issue happening on Firefox as well, so it's either a separate issue or not directly Chromium-related.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
Ah right, I reached 500MB of ram usage once due to it.
Ah right, I reached 500MB of ram usage once due to it.
He/They
[quote name="Vendrus" date="2021-09-05 02:45:36" ] If you read the posts on this thread, they're talking about memory bloat that does not occur on other pages in Chrome. That means that either FR or it interaction with an extension is using more memory than other pages that you'd expect similar usage from. There could be a memory leak somewhere. It could be poor use of resources. It could be an extension either misidentifying FR as its target (see all the issues regularly caused by tumblr extensions) or being poorly optimised. There is absolutely no justification at this time to claim that there is nothing either users or FR can do about it. EDIT: Someone also reported the issue happening on Firefox as well, so it's either a separate issue or not directly Chromium-related. [/quote] I do want to emphasize that this is about CPU usage. I'm not seeing seeing anything abnormal in my RAM usage on FR. The RAM issue one person is seeing is a separate issue.
Vendrus wrote on 2021-09-05 02:45:36:

I do want to emphasize that this is about CPU usage. I'm not seeing seeing anything abnormal in my RAM usage on FR. The RAM issue one person is seeing is a separate issue.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
1 2