Back

Bug Report Forums

Report bugs and errors to the Flight Rising development team.
TOPIC | High CPU Usage in Coli
1 2
Since yesterday, I've been seeing extremely high CPU usage while in the coli. The issue persists with all animations/effects turned off, hardware acceleration disabled, PC restarted, and numerous fixes on the browser's end (new profile, incognito, clearing cache, various browser flag settings) attempted. I'm using Brave Version 1.29.76 Chromium: 93.0.4577.58 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Ubuntu 20.04. I did not update it between yesterday when it was normal and today when it's unusually high. While normally I would be able to watch Youtube and run a game like The Sims 4 or Minecraft while in the coli, today just Youtube + coli is pushing my CPU to a consistent 95%+ and lagging the entire PC. I stop getting any lag when the coli window is closed or inactive. Brave task manager screenshot: [img]https://i.imgur.com/AOclMXP.png[/img] I'm not fast enough to catch it but I've seen the FR tab spike up to 85+. Unfortunately I don't have a metric for how it was before today because there's never been any need to look. Ubuntu system monitor (ending the highlighted process kills the coli tab, confirming it's that one in particular that is the issue) [img]https://i.imgur.com/zBK4H8s.png[/img] System information: [img]https://i.imgur.com/ijIkLDw.png[/img] For comparison's sake, here's Youtube + TS4 without coli. I'm... not gonna try all three together when it's like this. [img]https://i.imgur.com/w4herEk.png[/img] I suspect there may be some sort of relation to [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/bug/3049530]site freezing in predict morphology[/url]. While I can't reproduce that (though the CPU did spike to ~55 on that tab when I loaded it), high CPU usage could definitely cause that. I haven't tried a non-Chromium browser because Firefox spiked it back up to 98%+ just by having the browser open at all, and has performed very poorly on every PC I've had for the last decade.
Since yesterday, I've been seeing extremely high CPU usage while in the coli. The issue persists with all animations/effects turned off, hardware acceleration disabled, PC restarted, and numerous fixes on the browser's end (new profile, incognito, clearing cache, various browser flag settings) attempted. I'm using Brave Version 1.29.76 Chromium: 93.0.4577.58 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Ubuntu 20.04. I did not update it between yesterday when it was normal and today when it's unusually high.

While normally I would be able to watch Youtube and run a game like The Sims 4 or Minecraft while in the coli, today just Youtube + coli is pushing my CPU to a consistent 95%+ and lagging the entire PC. I stop getting any lag when the coli window is closed or inactive.

Brave task manager screenshot:
AOclMXP.png
I'm not fast enough to catch it but I've seen the FR tab spike up to 85+. Unfortunately I don't have a metric for how it was before today because there's never been any need to look.
Ubuntu system monitor (ending the highlighted process kills the coli tab, confirming it's that one in particular that is the issue)
zBK4H8s.png
System information:
ijIkLDw.png

For comparison's sake, here's Youtube + TS4 without coli. I'm... not gonna try all three together when it's like this.
w4herEk.png

I suspect there may be some sort of relation to site freezing in predict morphology. While I can't reproduce that (though the CPU did spike to ~55 on that tab when I loaded it), high CPU usage could definitely cause that.

I haven't tried a non-Chromium browser because Firefox spiked it back up to 98%+ just by having the browser open at all, and has performed very poorly on every PC I've had for the last decade.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
@Tserin

Have you already tried restarting your computer and running a virus scan?
@Tserin

Have you already tried restarting your computer and running a virus scan?
rFXuTGD.png
I've taken over maintaining ivycrowned's Lair Keeper and Pair Workshop tool!
Thread / Spreadsheet

You can also try updating drivers (I would Google how to do that if you don't know) and installing any new computer/browser updates.
You can also try updating drivers (I would Google how to do that if you don't know) and installing any new computer/browser updates.
rFXuTGD.png
I've taken over maintaining ivycrowned's Lair Keeper and Pair Workshop tool!
Thread / Spreadsheet

@benneyfreeman
Yes, I have restarted my PC multiple times. I have not run a virus scan because I run Ubuntu and antivirus programs do more harm than good on Linux (if you try to change anything on your PC, you get asked for a password, so it's extremely hard for them anyway, and also there are very scarce antivirus programs for Linux to begin with). I also very highly doubt it'd be a virus because the vast majority are not made for Linux, and Brave has a built-in adblock, so anything that could come from ads can't happen in the first place, and I don't have a habit of clicking virus links.

It also only happens in the coli so it'd be kind of weird to have a virus specifically for a portion of a petsite.

Everything is up to date.
@benneyfreeman
Yes, I have restarted my PC multiple times. I have not run a virus scan because I run Ubuntu and antivirus programs do more harm than good on Linux (if you try to change anything on your PC, you get asked for a password, so it's extremely hard for them anyway, and also there are very scarce antivirus programs for Linux to begin with). I also very highly doubt it'd be a virus because the vast majority are not made for Linux, and Brave has a built-in adblock, so anything that could come from ads can't happen in the first place, and I don't have a habit of clicking virus links.

It also only happens in the coli so it'd be kind of weird to have a virus specifically for a portion of a petsite.

Everything is up to date.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
Small addition: Running just the coli and Discord spikes my CPU usage from 2% to 40-52%. This is kind of a lot for something that never used to cause issues.

Tried Firefox and CPU usage in the coli (just the coli, nothing else demanding) is at 22%. So... Chromium angry?
Small addition: Running just the coli and Discord spikes my CPU usage from 2% to 40-52%. This is kind of a lot for something that never used to cause issues.

Tried Firefox and CPU usage in the coli (just the coli, nothing else demanding) is at 22%. So... Chromium angry?
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
i'm seeing high CPU usage all over flight rising - i usually have a ton of tabs open so i never really noticed, but after tserin mentioned it i did some testing. watching a vod on twitch was at 11%. looking at a forum thread on fr was double that - 22%. coli uses between 30 and 50% consistently. for comparison, discord uses about 4-9%. im also using brave (Version 1.29.76 Chromium: 93.0.4577.58 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and kubuntu 20.04. [u][/u] system information: [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/452042992539402251/882556255120551966/Screenshot_20210901_112316.png[/img] [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/284730588437413888/882558071086403604/Screenshot_20210901_112823.png[/img] the 30% brave is having [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2205043/1]this thread[/url] open. yes it is an image heavy thread but i still feel like it should not be using 30% of my cpu.
i'm seeing high CPU usage all over flight rising - i usually have a ton of tabs open so i never really noticed, but after tserin mentioned it i did some testing.

watching a vod on twitch was at 11%. looking at a forum thread on fr was double that - 22%. coli uses between 30 and 50% consistently. for comparison, discord uses about 4-9%.

im also using brave (Version 1.29.76 Chromium: 93.0.4577.58 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and kubuntu 20.04.

system information:
Screenshot_20210901_112316.png

Screenshot_20210901_112823.png

the 30% brave is having this thread open. yes it is an image heavy thread but i still feel like it should not be using 30% of my cpu.
WS4dI9K.png k9EUmvc.png remus
they/xe
fr +9
opening coli and twitch my total cpu usages spikes up to 95%.

just coli got it to spike to 89% at a high, but usually hovers around 50-60%. switching tabs or closing the coli tab brings it down to 10-14% almost immediately.
opening coli and twitch my total cpu usages spikes up to 95%.

just coli got it to spike to 89% at a high, but usually hovers around 50-60%. switching tabs or closing the coli tab brings it down to 10-14% almost immediately.
WS4dI9K.png k9EUmvc.png remus
they/xe
fr +9
Huh, strange.
Coli takes about 13%-ish CPU when I run the Coli, but under 1% on any other FR page. I am running Windows, however.

Perhaps this is an issue with FR and the Brave/Kubuntu set up.
Huh, strange.
Coli takes about 13%-ish CPU when I run the Coli, but under 1% on any other FR page. I am running Windows, however.

Perhaps this is an issue with FR and the Brave/Kubuntu set up.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
this may belong in this thread, it may belong in another. but, whenever i have a tab of fr open, firefox starts absolutely burning through memory, to the point that it's crashed my computer twice. if every 15-20 minutes i manually, within firefox, purge the memory, i can keep it from crashing, but it'll get north of 50gb of memory within 20 minutes, which is *highly* unusual. this has been happening for a week or two as best as i can remember; it wasn't until i saw this thread today that i considered it could be fr and not a bug/error within firefox itself causing the issue; when i closed my fr tab, my memory consumption wasn't totally normal, but it did decrease significantly, especially in speed – for 5 minutes, i went from ~1gb to ~6gb, whereas in the time since i've been typing this i'm already at ~15gb. my computer is a mac on big sur, and both my computer and firefox should be fully up to date.
this may belong in this thread, it may belong in another. but, whenever i have a tab of fr open, firefox starts absolutely burning through memory, to the point that it's crashed my computer twice. if every 15-20 minutes i manually, within firefox, purge the memory, i can keep it from crashing, but it'll get north of 50gb of memory within 20 minutes, which is *highly* unusual. this has been happening for a week or two as best as i can remember; it wasn't until i saw this thread today that i considered it could be fr and not a bug/error within firefox itself causing the issue; when i closed my fr tab, my memory consumption wasn't totally normal, but it did decrease significantly, especially in speed – for 5 minutes, i went from ~1gb to ~6gb, whereas in the time since i've been typing this i'm already at ~15gb. my computer is a mac on big sur, and both my computer and firefox should be fully up to date.
they/them || if you're pinging me, there's only one 'i' in my username!
It is actually normal while playing Coli and other games on browser that use visual animation. It is due to browser compiling and it is what causes high cpu usage.
That is a problem with the browser especially Chrome.
It is actually normal while playing Coli and other games on browser that use visual animation. It is due to browser compiling and it is what causes high cpu usage.
That is a problem with the browser especially Chrome.
He/They
1 2