Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Irrational fears are irrational
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 14
Really! Cockroach fears? I used to think they were really nasty, but after raising a bunch of Dubia roaches for my bearded dragon, they've really stopped being so gross to me. They actually kind of have cute bug faces when you flip them upside down.

But, my big irrational phobia is bees. Anything with a stinger, and I'll go nuts if I spot it. I'm moderately afraid of bumblebees, and anything else is terrifying to me. If one lands on me, I know well enough to control my urge to just totally lose it, and I just stand totally still until it goes away. Then, after it leaves me alone, I'm liable to start hyperventilating, yelling, the like. But if there's a bee in the area, I don't go anywhere near them. I've been trying to conquer the fear, but the best progress I've made is becoming less afraid of bumblebees, and now I can watch videos that have bees and buzzing in them without my heart rate increasing significantly.

I also have a fear of falling, but that's a pretty common one. I thought it was heights, and then I realized I actually love being up high. But I have this fear, whenever I'm climbing, or standing near an edge, that I'm just going to plummet straight to the ground. I've been trying to get over that one too-- Lots of thrill rides that include dropping through the air have been helping. I'm hoping that eventually I'll get to the point where I can skydive or use a bird suit without getting too anxious.
Really! Cockroach fears? I used to think they were really nasty, but after raising a bunch of Dubia roaches for my bearded dragon, they've really stopped being so gross to me. They actually kind of have cute bug faces when you flip them upside down.

But, my big irrational phobia is bees. Anything with a stinger, and I'll go nuts if I spot it. I'm moderately afraid of bumblebees, and anything else is terrifying to me. If one lands on me, I know well enough to control my urge to just totally lose it, and I just stand totally still until it goes away. Then, after it leaves me alone, I'm liable to start hyperventilating, yelling, the like. But if there's a bee in the area, I don't go anywhere near them. I've been trying to conquer the fear, but the best progress I've made is becoming less afraid of bumblebees, and now I can watch videos that have bees and buzzing in them without my heart rate increasing significantly.

I also have a fear of falling, but that's a pretty common one. I thought it was heights, and then I realized I actually love being up high. But I have this fear, whenever I'm climbing, or standing near an edge, that I'm just going to plummet straight to the ground. I've been trying to get over that one too-- Lots of thrill rides that include dropping through the air have been helping. I'm hoping that eventually I'll get to the point where I can skydive or use a bird suit without getting too anxious.
I'm tipulaphobic. ;-;

CRANEFLIES man.

They're just, the most terrible things in the world to ever have existed.

Thank goodness they're a seasonal animal, and only come out at certain times of year (Craneflies are reasons #5-#9 of why I don't like Summer, haha).

I know they're harmless but, ugh.

no

They look like giant mosquitoes, or flying spiders. I've seen some as big as my hand. ;-;
Most flies can tell that 'oh, there is an object there, I'll not fly into it'.
Craneflies are just like 'nah, man, I can go through it if I believe'.
NO
JUST GET AWAY FROM ME
NO TOUCH

Ugghhhhh. I will either freeze up or bolt when I see them. If there is a cranefly in a room, I will not enter that room until the wretched thing is confirmed to not be inside.
If necessary, I will hide in my room under a duvet and cry.

I also don't like being left alone in a house - 'what was that noise? D8'
But I can manage that if I just play music really loud. :B
I'm tipulaphobic. ;-;

CRANEFLIES man.

They're just, the most terrible things in the world to ever have existed.

Thank goodness they're a seasonal animal, and only come out at certain times of year (Craneflies are reasons #5-#9 of why I don't like Summer, haha).

I know they're harmless but, ugh.

no

They look like giant mosquitoes, or flying spiders. I've seen some as big as my hand. ;-;
Most flies can tell that 'oh, there is an object there, I'll not fly into it'.
Craneflies are just like 'nah, man, I can go through it if I believe'.
NO
JUST GET AWAY FROM ME
NO TOUCH

Ugghhhhh. I will either freeze up or bolt when I see them. If there is a cranefly in a room, I will not enter that room until the wretched thing is confirmed to not be inside.
If necessary, I will hide in my room under a duvet and cry.

I also don't like being left alone in a house - 'what was that noise? D8'
But I can manage that if I just play music really loud. :B
we_rode_on_the_winds_of_the_rising_storm_by_c_yang-d68stu4.giftumblr_mobg0cyIZE1sula9po1_400.gifwe_rode_on_the_winds_of_the_rising_storm_by_c_yang-d68stu4.gif
wheeeeee
There's not a phobia name for fear of roller coasters yet, but once they coin one I'll be ordering it in a neon sign.

I am literally useless at amusement parks like Six Flags and Knottsberry Farms. It's not the speed, the turns, or the danger - it's the drops. I can't do drops. That means no Splash Mountain or Tower of Terror. I didn't ride California Screamin' til I was 19 years old, and the I cried through the entire wait in line - while 8-year-olds got off begging to go again.

Like yo, it's bad. There's this derp little ride at California Universal Studios called The Mummy Returns, and it's maybe a 40-second ride. There's not even any drops, but it has a launch, meaning it catapults you from 0-45mph in about 5 seconds. I've forced myself to go on it at least 4 times, and every time I go back (annual pass holder, what whaaaat) I make myself ride it again because there's no logical reason I should be afraid of it. But getting into the car to begin the ride and pulling down the shoulder harness causes me such grief and makes me feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin and cry.

Irrational fear-ers, I feel you so hard.
There's not a phobia name for fear of roller coasters yet, but once they coin one I'll be ordering it in a neon sign.

I am literally useless at amusement parks like Six Flags and Knottsberry Farms. It's not the speed, the turns, or the danger - it's the drops. I can't do drops. That means no Splash Mountain or Tower of Terror. I didn't ride California Screamin' til I was 19 years old, and the I cried through the entire wait in line - while 8-year-olds got off begging to go again.

Like yo, it's bad. There's this derp little ride at California Universal Studios called The Mummy Returns, and it's maybe a 40-second ride. There's not even any drops, but it has a launch, meaning it catapults you from 0-45mph in about 5 seconds. I've forced myself to go on it at least 4 times, and every time I go back (annual pass holder, what whaaaat) I make myself ride it again because there's no logical reason I should be afraid of it. But getting into the car to begin the ride and pulling down the shoulder harness causes me such grief and makes me feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin and cry.

Irrational fear-ers, I feel you so hard.
clearbannerfr.png
@PuzzleDust Oh I know that. Live dinos would probably wouldn't freak me out but skeletons of anything (but dinosaurs especially) freak me out very badly. Also, the only thing I can think of is don't look at the time when you leave your room. I dunno.
@CodextheBoffin I'm not necessarily scared of time but I do hate it. There's so much I want to do with my life and I know I have the capability to do a lot of it but I don't know if there's enough time. It just makes me want to curl up in a ball...>.<
@spacestraw Oh you'd hate where I just left. My mom's family has camped on the of the Colorado River for well over 20 years and this year's trip just ended. Like we're in the car and when I got service I was so happy so I just jumped on here.
See, for river standards I think the water's relatively unpolluted (not much trash or boats) but it's a river so it's pretty murky. I do so love it though. I can totally understand your fear...I found a leech on my foot which totally surprised me since I never knew there were leeches here and it freaked my friend out so we went and watched Pacific Rim (yeah, camping with movies. Oh. Roughing it, I know.).

All I got time for to reply to right now. Will add more later.
@PuzzleDust Oh I know that. Live dinos would probably wouldn't freak me out but skeletons of anything (but dinosaurs especially) freak me out very badly. Also, the only thing I can think of is don't look at the time when you leave your room. I dunno.
@CodextheBoffin I'm not necessarily scared of time but I do hate it. There's so much I want to do with my life and I know I have the capability to do a lot of it but I don't know if there's enough time. It just makes me want to curl up in a ball...>.<
@spacestraw Oh you'd hate where I just left. My mom's family has camped on the of the Colorado River for well over 20 years and this year's trip just ended. Like we're in the car and when I got service I was so happy so I just jumped on here.
See, for river standards I think the water's relatively unpolluted (not much trash or boats) but it's a river so it's pretty murky. I do so love it though. I can totally understand your fear...I found a leech on my foot which totally surprised me since I never knew there were leeches here and it freaked my friend out so we went and watched Pacific Rim (yeah, camping with movies. Oh. Roughing it, I know.).

All I got time for to reply to right now. Will add more later.
80317408_UZf74sDKxq5dAIU.png ___
hey i'm lee
he/him | 24 | fr+0

art | skins | about

tblr
| twt | yt
i have an uncontrollable fear of mold and most mushrooms... like, unless they look like super mario mushrooms i start losing it. i grew up in a really crummy trailer as a kid and every so often, mold would poke through the wood paneling, where they connected. the trailer was from, like, early 70s so we were maybe the 5th or 6th family to live in something that only had around a 15 year shelf life haha. but i can't even look at mushrooms when i watch cooking shows, especially enoki mushrooms, they cause me to start shaking and i've even cried during my old job because there were mold spores on a bag. nightmarish stuff!
i have an uncontrollable fear of mold and most mushrooms... like, unless they look like super mario mushrooms i start losing it. i grew up in a really crummy trailer as a kid and every so often, mold would poke through the wood paneling, where they connected. the trailer was from, like, early 70s so we were maybe the 5th or 6th family to live in something that only had around a 15 year shelf life haha. but i can't even look at mushrooms when i watch cooking shows, especially enoki mushrooms, they cause me to start shaking and i've even cried during my old job because there were mold spores on a bag. nightmarish stuff!
@Somnambulist
You have no idea. I came off the Matterhorn, of all rides, crying and begging my mom never to force me on it again. I'm not sure why she did that though. Before that, when I was ten and my cousin was FOUR we went on this horrendous little rollercoaster (it had a loop-de-loop in it...a kiddie coaster WITH A LOOP-DE-LOOP) and I was sobbing and practically claimed a trashcan for a half hour while I recovered (read: hurled my guts up). My cousin was begging to go on it again. A few years ago I visited my relatives in Northern California and I went to a water park with my cousin. I thought I could deal with this slide that's basically a massive, angular halfpipe so we walked up and I started to chicken out when we got up top. They wouldn't let me go back down the stairs so I actually had to go on it and to this day it's one of my worst experiences ever. I could barely walk I was shaking so badly and I couldn't look at how high I'd dropped from without getting sick. Around two weeks ago (the 12th actually) my aunt tried to get me to go on Thunder Mountain and I'm like, NOPE. Pirates of the Caribbean still freaks me out on the first drop (NOBODY KNOWS THIS BUT DARK WATER DROPS ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST) and it's my all time favorite ride.
Tl;dr acrophobia fear of heights and coasterphobia well yeah
@Somnambulist
You have no idea. I came off the Matterhorn, of all rides, crying and begging my mom never to force me on it again. I'm not sure why she did that though. Before that, when I was ten and my cousin was FOUR we went on this horrendous little rollercoaster (it had a loop-de-loop in it...a kiddie coaster WITH A LOOP-DE-LOOP) and I was sobbing and practically claimed a trashcan for a half hour while I recovered (read: hurled my guts up). My cousin was begging to go on it again. A few years ago I visited my relatives in Northern California and I went to a water park with my cousin. I thought I could deal with this slide that's basically a massive, angular halfpipe so we walked up and I started to chicken out when we got up top. They wouldn't let me go back down the stairs so I actually had to go on it and to this day it's one of my worst experiences ever. I could barely walk I was shaking so badly and I couldn't look at how high I'd dropped from without getting sick. Around two weeks ago (the 12th actually) my aunt tried to get me to go on Thunder Mountain and I'm like, NOPE. Pirates of the Caribbean still freaks me out on the first drop (NOBODY KNOWS THIS BUT DARK WATER DROPS ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST) and it's my all time favorite ride.
Tl;dr acrophobia fear of heights and coasterphobia well yeah
80317408_UZf74sDKxq5dAIU.png ___
hey i'm lee
he/him | 24 | fr+0

art | skins | about

tblr
| twt | yt
T. Rexes.

I have an immense irrational fear of T.Rexes.

Only in a few situations can I deal with them. When they're drawn or on t-shirts, I'm okay.

Tv shows or movies, I get a little skeeved but I can trudge through it.

Seeing their bones in the museum, I get a chill up my spine as if they're staring at me, waiting to come to life and attack me. I tend to run right past them.

Statues...I begin shaking and have panic attacks. We have a mini golf course up in Canada next to the parking lot where we always park. My friends have to shield me, talk to me, and keep me from having a panic attack or screaming and running away. Willing through I'll go hug the velociraptor ones (they are cute to me at least).

Animatronics. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...I'm shaking just thinking about it. I had a traumatic experience involving one. My dad dared me to touch one when we were at the museum. Went to do it, it started moving and roaring, screamed and ran. It just got worse since the first entrance to the special exhibit involved a T.Rex roaring and attacking another dinosaur. The lights were flashing and there was fog. Once again I screamed, ran, and hid in the mummy exhibit.

So yea. Fear of T.rexes. Completely irrational in every way.

P.S. I'll never go see the Walking with Dinosaurs Live Spectacular unless someone has me so doped up on something that I can't even form a coherent sentence. Actually...thinking about that...probably not a good idea...I'd probably still run away screaming and get kicked out of he arena.
T. Rexes.

I have an immense irrational fear of T.Rexes.

Only in a few situations can I deal with them. When they're drawn or on t-shirts, I'm okay.

Tv shows or movies, I get a little skeeved but I can trudge through it.

Seeing their bones in the museum, I get a chill up my spine as if they're staring at me, waiting to come to life and attack me. I tend to run right past them.

Statues...I begin shaking and have panic attacks. We have a mini golf course up in Canada next to the parking lot where we always park. My friends have to shield me, talk to me, and keep me from having a panic attack or screaming and running away. Willing through I'll go hug the velociraptor ones (they are cute to me at least).

Animatronics. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...I'm shaking just thinking about it. I had a traumatic experience involving one. My dad dared me to touch one when we were at the museum. Went to do it, it started moving and roaring, screamed and ran. It just got worse since the first entrance to the special exhibit involved a T.Rex roaring and attacking another dinosaur. The lights were flashing and there was fog. Once again I screamed, ran, and hid in the mummy exhibit.

So yea. Fear of T.rexes. Completely irrational in every way.

P.S. I'll never go see the Walking with Dinosaurs Live Spectacular unless someone has me so doped up on something that I can't even form a coherent sentence. Actually...thinking about that...probably not a good idea...I'd probably still run away screaming and get kicked out of he arena.
t7GyuAE.png
Ghosts. Or technically, a ghost from my childhood.

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I believe in the existence of the supernatural. Or at least, a part of it. Mainly the spectral aspect.

I've experienced loads of ghostly phenomenon over the years and had slowly developed a caution when dealing with the supernatural. But it only truly took one experience to put the fear of god in me completely and create an outright fear.

Basically, I was in 4th grade and woke up one night to see a girl in my closet but she had eyes with slit pupils like a cat. She kept staring at me and I couldn't scream; after what seemed like forever I pulled myself out of bed and turned on the light causing her to disappear. Slept in another room for the rest of the night.

Dream or not?
I have no idea but for the rest of the year, my friends thought it would be funny to play around with me when they slept over and pretend that they saw her appear at night and I would cry and scream.

To this day, I still have the irrational fear that I'll see her again if I EVER sleep at night with my closet open.

She is my worst nightmare come true.
Ghosts. Or technically, a ghost from my childhood.

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I believe in the existence of the supernatural. Or at least, a part of it. Mainly the spectral aspect.

I've experienced loads of ghostly phenomenon over the years and had slowly developed a caution when dealing with the supernatural. But it only truly took one experience to put the fear of god in me completely and create an outright fear.

Basically, I was in 4th grade and woke up one night to see a girl in my closet but she had eyes with slit pupils like a cat. She kept staring at me and I couldn't scream; after what seemed like forever I pulled myself out of bed and turned on the light causing her to disappear. Slept in another room for the rest of the night.

Dream or not?
I have no idea but for the rest of the year, my friends thought it would be funny to play around with me when they slept over and pretend that they saw her appear at night and I would cry and scream.

To this day, I still have the irrational fear that I'll see her again if I EVER sleep at night with my closet open.

She is my worst nightmare come true.
y0YshUu.png
[quote name="swinub" date="2014-06-28 12:48:52"]I've got a few that are embarrassingly irrational. unu; I've always had this fear of insects. Like, I can barely even look at photos of them. I can't sleep if I think they're in my room. If I find a bug, no matter how small or harmless, I probably won't be able to kill it myself. I can't even go NEAR them. ...Now, cockroaches are on a whooole other level. I can barely even talk about them, I can barely even THINK about them without getting extremely nervous. If I hear the name, I get anxious. Sometimes I have nightmares where I'm trapped in a house that's literally covered with them. Once, not too long ago, my cat found one crawling across my bedroom floor right as I was getting ready to sleep and I screamed at the top of my lungs for my mom to help me and I couldn't sleep the entire night. [/quote] This. But I think I'm slightly better; family and friends helped me for a period of time with that fear of mine, and now I'm not exactly /terrified/ of small insects like fruit flies and mosquitoes and swatting/killing them is much easier for me. But the cockroach thing... Totally in agreement w/ @swinub I cannot stand them. At all. Thinking about them makes me get goose bumps... But the real fear is when I think about dead, mushed bodies of big insects like cockroaches and moths and thinking about trying to kill them and getting their... Stuff... All over your hand and... Just EWWWWW. (Ugh, now I have a horrible feeling that I'll have nightmares tonight) I think that's what I'm afraid of most. Just. Ew. (And now I can't believe I just typed all that out! I can barely think about it.)
swinub wrote on 2014-06-28 12:48:52:
I've got a few that are embarrassingly irrational. unu;

I've always had this fear of insects. Like, I can barely even look at photos of them. I can't sleep if I think they're in my room. If I find a bug, no matter how small or harmless, I probably won't be able to kill it myself. I can't even go NEAR them.

...Now, cockroaches are on a whooole other level. I can barely even talk about them, I can barely even THINK about them without getting extremely nervous. If I hear the name, I get anxious. Sometimes I have nightmares where I'm trapped in a house that's literally covered with them. Once, not too long ago, my cat found one crawling across my bedroom floor right as I was getting ready to sleep and I screamed at the top of my lungs for my mom to help me and I couldn't sleep the entire night.

This.

But I think I'm slightly better; family and friends helped me for a period of time with that fear of mine, and now I'm not exactly /terrified/ of small insects like fruit flies and mosquitoes and swatting/killing them is much easier for me.
But the cockroach thing... Totally in agreement w/ @swinub I cannot stand them. At all. Thinking about them makes me get goose bumps... But the real fear is when I think about dead, mushed bodies of big insects like cockroaches and moths and thinking about trying to kill them and getting their... Stuff... All over your hand and... Just EWWWWW. (Ugh, now I have a horrible feeling that I'll have nightmares tonight) I think that's what I'm afraid of most. Just. Ew. (And now I can't believe I just typed all that out! I can barely think about it.)
I have this crazy fear about life that I'm somehow Doing It Wrong and I won't know for years until everyone but my husband and I are rich, well settled, and looking down on us. (Well, I know that last bit might be true, but that's mostly from our families). The fact that we're looking into buying a house (in one of the most expensive states to live in the US, but that's where our jobs are) is just compounding that. I've got a pretty good job that will eventually get us benefits, and we don't live with our parents and that puts us light years ahead of most of our friends. In fact, loads of people live their entire lives with less than we have right now. Heck, we don't even want to be rich, but some of the basics we always assumed we'd have if we worked hard (owning a house, retirement, going on vacation ever) seem permanently out of reach.
I have this crazy fear about life that I'm somehow Doing It Wrong and I won't know for years until everyone but my husband and I are rich, well settled, and looking down on us. (Well, I know that last bit might be true, but that's mostly from our families). The fact that we're looking into buying a house (in one of the most expensive states to live in the US, but that's where our jobs are) is just compounding that. I've got a pretty good job that will eventually get us benefits, and we don't live with our parents and that puts us light years ahead of most of our friends. In fact, loads of people live their entire lives with less than we have right now. Heck, we don't even want to be rich, but some of the basics we always assumed we'd have if we worked hard (owning a house, retirement, going on vacation ever) seem permanently out of reach.
Courage is the price which life exacts for granting peace...
-Amelia Earhart
EOrlrwo.gif
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 14