Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What canon lore do you disregard?
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Let's see....

I don't do magic, that's for sure, I do everything based on known science or occasionally sci-fi.
I don't do elements as that's really magic so that falls under the first point but just wanted to point out that eye colour is a genetic thing, so heterochromia is a thing that occurs.
I don't do god creation either, I go with evolution because it's a great thought training exercise for me since I do taxonomy, anatomy, etc. Xenobiology and speculative evolution are great.
All modern (that also includes some Ancients; it's complicated) dragons have opposable thumbs, I simply refuse to think otherwise because of societal requirements.
The sizes are much smaller; Imperial dragons aren't 30 meters long but around 5-6 meters in length. The smallest dragon would be around 50 cm long and the longest around 6.
I correct all nonsensical quirks such as "urges" (falsely listed as instinct which has nothing to do with urges but is instead a cognitive processing ability) like for example in Coatl how they have a desire to return to the Ashfall Waste because a) it has nothing to do with instinct as that's not an urge or impulse b) it has nothing to do with urges either, it can only be culture, learned and imprinting c) there's no such thing as mindless or uncontrollable behaviour, everything non-reflexive an individual does is a conscious decision, only some actions can be altered by the effect of emotions and hormones.
Snappers do in fact sleep.
All dragons have more mammalian head muscles and jaw joints so they can make expressions.
I don't do breeding between species as that's genetically implausible or even impossible (there are some possibilities with the whole "alien life" narrative but that would also require changing a lot about other beings so it's best left alone)
The Shade isn't a being of pure evil, it's a fungus-like organism that attacks organic tissue and is slowly being eradicated through successful evolution and resistance to it so modern organisms aren't affected by it.
Multi-species settlements are completely normal as all modern dragons share the same ancient ancestor and they're just very diversified communities that lived together for thousands of years, slowly diversifying, then moving across the continent and diversifying even more.
Many cultures, languages, fashion styles, histories, and types of art and architecture exist.
I have no opinion on undead Imperials, I assume that could be explained through the whole Shade fungus thing so I might keep it.
The wars and conquests are MUCH more intricate. Beastclans and Dragonkind coexist in specific regions, just like different tribes or nations of humans coexist on Earth, but there are enemy dragons and Beastclans trying to infiltrate and take over regions, etc.

Also, just a note but it has been pointed out by the Staff that those quirks are just quirks and do not define an entire population. So "Ridgeback hating water" or "Tundra are forgetful" aren't really synonymous to "all humans hate the heat" or "all humans are good at math" as that's not true. They're all people, they're individuals with different aspects of intelligence, cultures, experiences, childhoods and interests.
Let's see....

I don't do magic, that's for sure, I do everything based on known science or occasionally sci-fi.
I don't do elements as that's really magic so that falls under the first point but just wanted to point out that eye colour is a genetic thing, so heterochromia is a thing that occurs.
I don't do god creation either, I go with evolution because it's a great thought training exercise for me since I do taxonomy, anatomy, etc. Xenobiology and speculative evolution are great.
All modern (that also includes some Ancients; it's complicated) dragons have opposable thumbs, I simply refuse to think otherwise because of societal requirements.
The sizes are much smaller; Imperial dragons aren't 30 meters long but around 5-6 meters in length. The smallest dragon would be around 50 cm long and the longest around 6.
I correct all nonsensical quirks such as "urges" (falsely listed as instinct which has nothing to do with urges but is instead a cognitive processing ability) like for example in Coatl how they have a desire to return to the Ashfall Waste because a) it has nothing to do with instinct as that's not an urge or impulse b) it has nothing to do with urges either, it can only be culture, learned and imprinting c) there's no such thing as mindless or uncontrollable behaviour, everything non-reflexive an individual does is a conscious decision, only some actions can be altered by the effect of emotions and hormones.
Snappers do in fact sleep.
All dragons have more mammalian head muscles and jaw joints so they can make expressions.
I don't do breeding between species as that's genetically implausible or even impossible (there are some possibilities with the whole "alien life" narrative but that would also require changing a lot about other beings so it's best left alone)
The Shade isn't a being of pure evil, it's a fungus-like organism that attacks organic tissue and is slowly being eradicated through successful evolution and resistance to it so modern organisms aren't affected by it.
Multi-species settlements are completely normal as all modern dragons share the same ancient ancestor and they're just very diversified communities that lived together for thousands of years, slowly diversifying, then moving across the continent and diversifying even more.
Many cultures, languages, fashion styles, histories, and types of art and architecture exist.
I have no opinion on undead Imperials, I assume that could be explained through the whole Shade fungus thing so I might keep it.
The wars and conquests are MUCH more intricate. Beastclans and Dragonkind coexist in specific regions, just like different tribes or nations of humans coexist on Earth, but there are enemy dragons and Beastclans trying to infiltrate and take over regions, etc.

Also, just a note but it has been pointed out by the Staff that those quirks are just quirks and do not define an entire population. So "Ridgeback hating water" or "Tundra are forgetful" aren't really synonymous to "all humans hate the heat" or "all humans are good at math" as that's not true. They're all people, they're individuals with different aspects of intelligence, cultures, experiences, childhoods and interests.
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
[quote name="Pteri" date="2021-06-29 23:52:12" ] All of it. My city now. [/quote] amen alleluiah baby
Pteri wrote on 2021-06-29 23:52:12:
All of it. My city now.

amen alleluiah baby
tumblr_pm57dgUmg91x46ojxo8_250.png iii
calypso
she/her
fr +2
@RosaTheRad I don't write a lot of lore, but I generally disregard things that would force me to treat the breeds differently or could make community living among them difficult. Like the communication issues between Faes and Coatls, or how Ridgebacks don't understand the issue with stealing, or how Tundras have bad memory. That being said, the site itself seems to disregard some of its lore... Maybe the Encyclopedia isn't as accurate as you'd think? [img]https://i.imgur.com/rELZrf5.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/Ah9GFsA.png[/img] (They're very clearly sleeping [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/effort/1/3][link][/url])
@RosaTheRad I don't write a lot of lore, but I generally disregard things that would force me to treat the breeds differently or could make community living among them difficult. Like the communication issues between Faes and Coatls, or how Ridgebacks don't understand the issue with stealing, or how Tundras have bad memory.

That being said, the site itself seems to disregard some of its lore... Maybe the Encyclopedia isn't as accurate as you'd think?

rELZrf5.png
Ah9GFsA.png
(They're very clearly sleeping [link])
3e94Gpa.png MXmMK3p.png
Ping me to get
my attention in the forums, please!
MXmMK3p.png 4oO1RBo.png
You fools. This entire time I have been gathering your ideas to use in my own lore! I can feel my power growing! Muhuahaha!
You fools. This entire time I have been gathering your ideas to use in my own lore! I can feel my power growing! Muhuahaha!
pigeon sitting (link)pigeon sitting (link)puffy brown dove (link)very flat pigeon (link)
genderqueer
asexual
she/her
ADHD
Canadian
FR Time +4
I disregard anything that makes things inconvenient, e.g. breed sizes and hostility between elements. There is a war going on, but what side you're on is less a matter of what color your eyes are and more a matter of where you live, because it'd be really inconvenient making sure all my dragons have pink eyes. I keep or toss breed quirks depending on if it fits a character or not, and in general don't stress too hard about whether or not I'm sticking to canon. 1920's technology, though? That's a keeper.
I disregard anything that makes things inconvenient, e.g. breed sizes and hostility between elements. There is a war going on, but what side you're on is less a matter of what color your eyes are and more a matter of where you live, because it'd be really inconvenient making sure all my dragons have pink eyes. I keep or toss breed quirks depending on if it fits a character or not, and in general don't stress too hard about whether or not I'm sticking to canon. 1920's technology, though? That's a keeper.
vojnGCQ.png
eye color. the colors of your eyes are purely hereditary, like humans. they have nothing to do with your flight allegiance at all.
eye color. the colors of your eyes are purely hereditary, like humans. they have nothing to do with your flight allegiance at all.
torture_isaac.png
[quote name="RosaTheRad" date="2021-06-28 17:22:47" ] I also also ignore all lore that would imply that my multi-species lair would fall into chaos due to the different breeds trying to rip each other apart. [/quote] This. It feels completely at odds for both how the canon NPCs live (the short stories, trading post NPCs, etc), and the reality of how the game works. I have no idea why most of the breed lore articles are written with the assumption that dragon breeds tend to live in mono-species exclusive or dominated communities... Most of the rest of the lore I can account for and implement in some way, but this is incompatible with the game as a whole!
RosaTheRad wrote on 2021-06-28 17:22:47:
I also also ignore all lore that would imply that my multi-species lair would fall into chaos due to the different breeds trying to rip each other apart.

This. It feels completely at odds for both how the canon NPCs live (the short stories, trading post NPCs, etc), and the reality of how the game works. I have no idea why most of the breed lore articles are written with the assumption that dragon breeds tend to live in mono-species exclusive or dominated communities... Most of the rest of the lore I can account for and implement in some way, but this is incompatible with the game as a whole!
[quote name="Denial" date="2021-06-30 08:01:58" ] That being said, the site itself seems to disregard some of its lore... Maybe the Encyclopedia isn't as accurate as you'd think? [img]https://i.imgur.com/rELZrf5.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/Ah9GFsA.png[/img] (They're very clearly sleeping [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/effort/1/3][link][/url]) [/quote] @/Denial Dev says he's not actually sleeping. just because they don't sleep the body doesn't get worn out. especially if you're nonstop mining. [quote name="Undel" date="2021-06-08 20:34:48" ] Snapper just resting weary limbs ;-) [/quote]
Denial wrote on 2021-06-30 08:01:58:
That being said, the site itself seems to disregard some of its lore... Maybe the Encyclopedia isn't as accurate as you'd think?

rELZrf5.png
Ah9GFsA.png
(They're very clearly sleeping [link])

@/Denial
Dev says he's not actually sleeping.
just because they don't sleep the body doesn't get worn out.
especially if you're nonstop mining.
Undel wrote on 2021-06-08 20:34:48:
Snapper just resting weary limbs ;-)
is very likely to take your posts literally - has difficulty discerning if tone is joking
Eye color doesn't have to equal elemental ability or Flight loyalties. Just say they hatched in that area.

I also mostly ignore Flight/species disparities because my multi-species, multi-element lair needs to have at least some level of peace. Except for Forte but he was one of my free Banescale eggs so it connects to Banescale lore

Imperials are NOT mistakes and you can FIGHT me on that

also my Coatls can speak Draconic just fine, thank you very much
Eye color doesn't have to equal elemental ability or Flight loyalties. Just say they hatched in that area.

I also mostly ignore Flight/species disparities because my multi-species, multi-element lair needs to have at least some level of peace. Except for Forte but he was one of my free Banescale eggs so it connects to Banescale lore

Fishes ____ she/her | +3 FR time | wishlist | avatar
ra01-icon-goldfish.gif s02-icon-whale.gif
[quote name="HydreigonOxide" date="2021-06-30 09:51:44" ] Eye color doesn't have to equal elemental ability or Flight loyalties. Just say they hatched in that area. I also mostly ignore Flight/species disparities because my multi-species, multi-element lair needs to have at least some level of peace. Except for Forte but he was one of my free Banescale eggs so it connects to Banescale lore Imperials are NOT mistakes and you can FIGHT me on that also my Coatls can speak Draconic just fine, thank you very much [/quote] I mean ya tool the words right outta my mouth! I take inspiration from the breed quirks when it works just so there are some differences between the different dragon types but I don't follow it word from word myself The only thing that I do like that seems unpopular here is the different breed sizes, I think it can lead to so interesting character interactions and dynamics [i]I accidentally sometimes imagine veilspun slightlysmaller then they're supposedto be though lol[/i]
HydreigonOxide wrote on 2021-06-30 09:51:44:

I mean ya tool the words right outta my mouth!
I take inspiration from the breed quirks when it works just so there are some differences between the different dragon types but I don't follow it word from word myself

The only thing that I do like that seems unpopular here is the different breed sizes, I think it can lead to so interesting character interactions and dynamics
I accidentally sometimes imagine veilspun slightlysmaller then they're supposedto be though lol
IeBhKII.png bicatcher.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11