Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What canon lore do you disregard?
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Different tabs and dragons and in different versions of lore/canon. But yeah most breed lore is not used for me
Different tabs and dragons and in different versions of lore/canon. But yeah most breed lore is not used for me
dragon sizes, various breeds quirks have been dialed back a bit so they aren't all ripping each other to pieces, coatl not being able to understand fae, monotone fae, maren not being able to breath out of water...

there's a few more but those are the very basics at least.
dragon sizes, various breeds quirks have been dialed back a bit so they aren't all ripping each other to pieces, coatl not being able to understand fae, monotone fae, maren not being able to breath out of water...

there's a few more but those are the very basics at least.
899b13958bd8dd6201cfc8808fbe7689b2ce2e3d.png
FbBE7dN.png
bYt72YT.png
y2UYCzJ.png
a69iToJ.png
mlHpBMC.png
Ap2AjBP.gif
o090-d01-Sinornis.pngo090-d02-Sinornis.pngo090-d03-Sinornis.pngo090-d04-Sinornis.pngo090-d05-Sinornis.png
I agree with a lot of these but I also ignore language barriers
I agree with a lot of these but I also ignore language barriers
Radekee.png
a
a
a
a
a
Survival of the fittest
Made my name as a menace
Broke the rules of the business
From the bottom now I'm biggest

a
a
a
a
a
a
a
Most of it. I really dislike most of the "quirks" of each breed (tundra memories, fae monotone, etc). More importantly, I disregard exalting. I think it's kind of lame, honestly. To me, exalting = death, every time. Unnamed exalt? The poor thing didn't even make it out of the egg. I've even done it to my own hatchlings on purpose.
Most of it. I really dislike most of the "quirks" of each breed (tundra memories, fae monotone, etc). More importantly, I disregard exalting. I think it's kind of lame, honestly. To me, exalting = death, every time. Unnamed exalt? The poor thing didn't even make it out of the egg. I've even done it to my own hatchlings on purpose.
Lore shop closed for good :(
Unfortunately I just can't ignore the canon when it exists, so I usually listen to the lore. It kind of makes an interesting characterization of the dragons. For example wind spirals Janya and Adeo are quite out of character for their respective flight and species, but I take into account the fact that they were raised by a plague flight member, while still adding some subtle personality traits of a Wind and of a Spiral. Also I don't ignore canon height because I find it funny. [quote name="RosaTheRad" date="2021-06-28 17:22:47" ] I also also ignore all lore that would imply that my multi-species lair would fall into chaos due to the different breeds trying to rip each other apart. [/quote] I think however that is the only one I ignore as well, there is some hatred whether or not the other is a different type of species (depending on the individual), but it's never a mess. It's even more suprising considering a lot of backgrounds of different dragons (I'm pretty sure at least 40% killed at least once for one reason or another). [quote name="Lifeseeker" date="2021-06-28 17:27:44" ] i ignore that all dragons are sapient. there are a lot of sapient ones sure. but i like roving eternal hungering terror monsters of infinite greed. especially notable populations of Wildclaw and Mirrors. Guardians/Ridgeback there are far less of, but tend to be more dangerous to the general population of the area. [/quote] That is a cool idea actually, I might take it into account. [quote name="Realcottoncat" date="2021-06-28 17:50:52" ] For breed lore, I go by the theory that the encyclopedia articles were written by an outside observer, and are very exaggerated. Like tundras definitely have a great olfactory memory and a harder time remembering other ways, but they are not stupid and can remember you even if you leave for a year. Ridgebacks do have a "borrowing" culture, but its mostly learned and not built in. Ridgies raised in areas that are not ridge-back exclusive do not do this or do it much less. Also while most don't like water, all of them avoiding it completely is an exaggeration. The snappers always moving and never sleeping thing is also exaggerated. Sure, they rarely sleep and are often moving, but they do take naps like everyone else. [/quote] I take into consideration this as well, I did and example above with a plague flight raising wind children. Some of these "characteristics" in the Encyclopedia I take them as the extreme end, like how stereotypes work in the real world, sure they don't apply to everyone, but they come from somewhere, and some people express it more than the others.
Unfortunately I just can't ignore the canon when it exists, so I usually listen to the lore. It kind of makes an interesting characterization of the dragons. For example wind spirals Janya and Adeo are quite out of character for their respective flight and species, but I take into account the fact that they were raised by a plague flight member, while still adding some subtle personality traits of a Wind and of a Spiral.

Also I don't ignore canon height because I find it funny.

RosaTheRad wrote on 2021-06-28 17:22:47:
I also also ignore all lore that would imply that my multi-species lair would fall into chaos due to the different breeds trying to rip each other apart.

I think however that is the only one I ignore as well, there is some hatred whether or not the other is a different type of species (depending on the individual), but it's never a mess. It's even more suprising considering a lot of backgrounds of different dragons (I'm pretty sure at least 40% killed at least once for one reason or another).

Lifeseeker wrote on 2021-06-28 17:27:44:
i ignore that all dragons are sapient.
there are a lot of sapient ones sure.
but i like roving eternal hungering terror monsters of infinite greed.
especially notable populations of Wildclaw and Mirrors.
Guardians/Ridgeback there are far less of, but tend to be more dangerous to the general population of the area.

That is a cool idea actually, I might take it into account.

Realcottoncat wrote on 2021-06-28 17:50:52:
For breed lore, I go by the theory that the encyclopedia articles were written by an outside observer, and are very exaggerated. Like tundras definitely have a great olfactory memory and a harder time remembering other ways, but they are not stupid and can remember you even if you leave for a year. Ridgebacks do have a "borrowing" culture, but its mostly learned and not built in. Ridgies raised in areas that are not ridge-back exclusive do not do this or do it much less. Also while most don't like water, all of them avoiding it completely is an exaggeration.

The snappers always moving and never sleeping thing is also exaggerated. Sure, they rarely sleep and are often moving, but they do take naps like everyone else.

I take into consideration this as well, I did and example above with a plague flight raising wind children. Some of these "characteristics" in the Encyclopedia I take them as the extreme end, like how stereotypes work in the real world, sure they don't apply to everyone, but they come from somewhere, and some people express it more than the others.
wMXAg3w.png
z3ouQq5.gif

All of it. My city now.
All of it. My city now.
~
4LEDbjY.gif
~
P T E R I

She/Her | FR +3
[quote name="Seabi" date="2021-06-29 23:49:43" ] Unfortunately I just can't ignore the canon when it exists, so I usually listen to the lore.[/quote] I don't ignore lore either. It doesn't feel right to try and build a story within Sornieth while ignoring the canon lore of Sornieth I'm surprised a lot of people don't like fae monotone or coatl communicating with clicks. I thought it made it a lot more interesting and fun to come up with interactions between dragons However, I do ignore the idea that the capsule gene is liquid. It's juuust an extra shiny underbelly is all...^^;
Seabi wrote on 2021-06-29 23:49:43:
Unfortunately I just can't ignore the canon when it exists, so I usually listen to the lore.

I don't ignore lore either. It doesn't feel right to try and build a story within Sornieth while ignoring the canon lore of Sornieth

I'm surprised a lot of people don't like fae monotone or coatl communicating with clicks. I thought it made it a lot more interesting and fun to come up with interactions between dragons

However, I do ignore the idea that the capsule gene is liquid. It's juuust an extra shiny underbelly is all...^^;
21369.png 24492.png
Most breed behaviors are ignored. Fae still use their frills, and Tundras have amazing olfactory memory, but they're still a lot more normal. Tundras can remember stuff just fine and aren't huge idiots and Fae just talk like any other dragon would, accenting with body language. Dragon breeds all get along fairly well, there isn't really any reason for breed-based discrimination. Now, individual clans can get into conflict, and some dragons might just be breed-ist for whatever reason, but it's not a widespread thing.

Dragons and Beastclans also have a much better relationship than in canon. It's really more about individual clans than Dragons vs. Beastclans. Oh, and any Beastclan with human faces don't exist in my lore.

The deities don't really live in Sornieth and actually have their own universe where they have total reign, like the Deadric Princes from TES. All exalted dragons go through a huge portal to live in and expand this elemental universe.

Emperors do not exist. Imperials are just like every other dragon, they survive indefinitely unless they are killed by an external force. Oh, also Imperials love being in groups, are rarely alone, and sleep in big noodly piles or as rows of Imp-loafs.

Different Flights are not in conflict nearly as much either. In fact, Elements work a lot differently. Every dragon has up to three Elements based on various traits, independant of their breed, location, etc. Oftentimes colors can indicate the secondary and tertiary elements, but this isn't always the case.

Also most, if not all dragons can breathe fire. They need to be able to breathe fire!!

And technology. My dragons have a superintelligent AI far beyond anything even on Earth, who created a synthetic body for himself and created a ton of synthetic dragons. This AI can control the ecosystem of a massive system of caverns, terraforming it into a huge jungle. Now, he is unique, but many other advanced, magic-based technologies exist all round the world.

Something I have added on to the lore is that many different kinds of unicorns exist and are on par with dragons in terms of scale and power. A lot of it is based on a personal project I have involving unicorns but hey, why not incorporate it! The unicorns even have their own set of deities that they worship.

One of the things I do keep is breed sizes. I love that they're all so different and it leads to a lot of accomodations for everyone's unique needs. However, there's a lot of variation in sizes so that tiny dragons are possible (represented by eternally youthful dragons in my lair)

Oh... and Snappers don't exist.
Most breed behaviors are ignored. Fae still use their frills, and Tundras have amazing olfactory memory, but they're still a lot more normal. Tundras can remember stuff just fine and aren't huge idiots and Fae just talk like any other dragon would, accenting with body language. Dragon breeds all get along fairly well, there isn't really any reason for breed-based discrimination. Now, individual clans can get into conflict, and some dragons might just be breed-ist for whatever reason, but it's not a widespread thing.

Dragons and Beastclans also have a much better relationship than in canon. It's really more about individual clans than Dragons vs. Beastclans. Oh, and any Beastclan with human faces don't exist in my lore.

The deities don't really live in Sornieth and actually have their own universe where they have total reign, like the Deadric Princes from TES. All exalted dragons go through a huge portal to live in and expand this elemental universe.

Emperors do not exist. Imperials are just like every other dragon, they survive indefinitely unless they are killed by an external force. Oh, also Imperials love being in groups, are rarely alone, and sleep in big noodly piles or as rows of Imp-loafs.

Different Flights are not in conflict nearly as much either. In fact, Elements work a lot differently. Every dragon has up to three Elements based on various traits, independant of their breed, location, etc. Oftentimes colors can indicate the secondary and tertiary elements, but this isn't always the case.

Also most, if not all dragons can breathe fire. They need to be able to breathe fire!!

And technology. My dragons have a superintelligent AI far beyond anything even on Earth, who created a synthetic body for himself and created a ton of synthetic dragons. This AI can control the ecosystem of a massive system of caverns, terraforming it into a huge jungle. Now, he is unique, but many other advanced, magic-based technologies exist all round the world.

Something I have added on to the lore is that many different kinds of unicorns exist and are on par with dragons in terms of scale and power. A lot of it is based on a personal project I have involving unicorns but hey, why not incorporate it! The unicorns even have their own set of deities that they worship.

One of the things I do keep is breed sizes. I love that they're all so different and it leads to a lot of accomodations for everyone's unique needs. However, there's a lot of variation in sizes so that tiny dragons are possible (represented by eternally youthful dragons in my lair)

Oh... and Snappers don't exist.
I don't have a clue, do you? // Aberrant Cauldron Project
Since canon lore says that there is nothing different about a special-eyed dragon other than cosmetics...yeah, that's out the window.
Since canon lore says that there is nothing different about a special-eyed dragon other than cosmetics...yeah, that's out the window.
V9b7SpH.png sig_button.png
Everything, mine dragons aren´t living on Sornieth even.
Everything, mine dragons aren´t living on Sornieth even.
Spyro OC lair.
Finnish.
She/her, ace.
Capricorn.
Monster Hunter fan.
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/rathaloshunter16
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11