Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | I'll help you price your art (Retired)
1 2 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 76 77
@fukanzen

So the ratio of Gems to USD is 100g to $1. I price based off that ratio. The problem is art value is subjective and changes between person to person. What one person thinks is $10 work is entirely different to what another person thinks.

For your work I'd say $30 for a fully rendered fullbody is absolutely a fair price. You've got the skillset and experience for the final product to be worth $30. The thing I'm going to recommend for you; stop worrying about if people think it is worth it. There will always be people who think you're overcharging and there will always be people who think you're undercharging. Unfortunately that's just how people are. Price where you feel the level of work you've done and the time you've spent on it is worth what you're getting paid.

As for your chibis, I knock the prices down on chibis personally because chibis are in essence just simplified characters. A full detail piece is going to be a lot more time intensive than a chibi because there's more detail involved. You could likely charge a scale up to $10 for a more complex chibi and probably somewhere as low as $5 for a very simple chibi. Again, it's up to you to feel out if it feels worth the price you're being paid. There's no real "bonus" for getting a piece done faster or slower unfortunately. Getting a comm done quickly is good because it lets you take on more, but it can also be viewed as rushed. Again, time is a weirdly subjective thing with a lot of people. In the end it's up to your personal feelings on your payment. If you feel you're not being paid enough, then raise your prices!
@fukanzen

So the ratio of Gems to USD is 100g to $1. I price based off that ratio. The problem is art value is subjective and changes between person to person. What one person thinks is $10 work is entirely different to what another person thinks.

For your work I'd say $30 for a fully rendered fullbody is absolutely a fair price. You've got the skillset and experience for the final product to be worth $30. The thing I'm going to recommend for you; stop worrying about if people think it is worth it. There will always be people who think you're overcharging and there will always be people who think you're undercharging. Unfortunately that's just how people are. Price where you feel the level of work you've done and the time you've spent on it is worth what you're getting paid.

As for your chibis, I knock the prices down on chibis personally because chibis are in essence just simplified characters. A full detail piece is going to be a lot more time intensive than a chibi because there's more detail involved. You could likely charge a scale up to $10 for a more complex chibi and probably somewhere as low as $5 for a very simple chibi. Again, it's up to you to feel out if it feels worth the price you're being paid. There's no real "bonus" for getting a piece done faster or slower unfortunately. Getting a comm done quickly is good because it lets you take on more, but it can also be viewed as rushed. Again, time is a weirdly subjective thing with a lot of people. In the end it's up to your personal feelings on your payment. If you feel you're not being paid enough, then raise your prices!
vDH0pGc.png
@myriadofstars A photography background might actually be really useful here since you'll have an understanding of good greyscale and color balancing later on. Essentially think of your drawing like a greyscale photograph. Dark shadows, bright highlights, and enough midtones to balance everything out! Headshots are usually what most beginner artists do a lot of and work to mastery... Then have awesome heads on bad fullbodies. (Calling myself out here lmao) Keep practicing all your anatomy and your fullbodies! Do sketches of individual limbs like wings and legs, even tails! Alright so erasing sketchwork is pretty much the bane of a lot of people's existence. You have a couple options here. The one I tend to recommend is erase-as-you-go sketching. Essentially draw as light as you can and every now and then take an eraser lightly over your sketch to keep those lines light and clean. If it is getting too dark or you're pressing hard enough to leave a dark mark then you need to lighten it. The other option is working your sketch into the final piece. This is easier when you're doing nothing but a pencil sketch but not good most of the time with ink and color. Just keeping yourself aware of how dark your sketch is getting is really a useful tactic to master. If you have access to a kneaded eraser I highly recommend rolling it over your sketch every couple minutes! Alright I have a skill drill for you with lines. Every day get a regular ol' piece of paper and a pen. You need literally nothing else. To start with draw a single straight line, bonus points if you use a ruler/straight edge. Go over that line 10 times without making it thicker. Repeat the straight line 5 more times. Then go on to curved lines. Then circles. Then waves. Then funky patterns. Whatever you want. If you do this every day your lining and inking confidence will SKYROCKET. You will teach yourself to hold your hand steady, how to pace your pen, how to predict lines and understand exactly how much pressure to use to keep the line width consistent. [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/708527273502048316/757479259672674365/unknown.png[/img] Oh so you mean a sketch like this? :P I'm kidding but I'm also not. Messy sketches, as long as you can read them in the end, are really helpful for beginning/intermediate artists. You need that wiggle room to really find the anatomy and implied lines. Learning the lines and shapes is done through sketching. Final details come later. This is the bulk of your learning process. Learning is messy. You'll clean up and get better as you go. :) Your expressions are really nice! I want to see what happens if you try. >:) As for the anatomy and posing, yeah that can be tricky. While wings are technically arms, they're very distorted and extended. You'll always want to find a reference that matches the limbs you're trying to draw. Practicing weird poses is GOOD. It teaches you that stretch and foreshortening. I'd first recommend sitting there and drawing out a few pages of wings just learning the bone structure. Knowing the skeleton is half the battle right there. For proportions, learn where the rib cage is. Literally for everything. Rib cage is your saving grace, everything builds around it. (You already draw skeletons so you have an edge here) Animal rib cages give you the best sense of proportion and scale that you can ask for. Same with humans. This is also where you can play around with wonky proportions, but you need to learn the rules first in order to break them! You're fine, I enjoy the long reply and seeing how excited you are! I can tell you're excited to keep learning and creating! Keep at it, I believe in you! :D
@myriadofstars

A photography background might actually be really useful here since you'll have an understanding of good greyscale and color balancing later on. Essentially think of your drawing like a greyscale photograph. Dark shadows, bright highlights, and enough midtones to balance everything out!

Headshots are usually what most beginner artists do a lot of and work to mastery... Then have awesome heads on bad fullbodies. (Calling myself out here lmao) Keep practicing all your anatomy and your fullbodies! Do sketches of individual limbs like wings and legs, even tails!

Alright so erasing sketchwork is pretty much the bane of a lot of people's existence. You have a couple options here. The one I tend to recommend is erase-as-you-go sketching. Essentially draw as light as you can and every now and then take an eraser lightly over your sketch to keep those lines light and clean. If it is getting too dark or you're pressing hard enough to leave a dark mark then you need to lighten it. The other option is working your sketch into the final piece. This is easier when you're doing nothing but a pencil sketch but not good most of the time with ink and color. Just keeping yourself aware of how dark your sketch is getting is really a useful tactic to master. If you have access to a kneaded eraser I highly recommend rolling it over your sketch every couple minutes!

Alright I have a skill drill for you with lines. Every day get a regular ol' piece of paper and a pen. You need literally nothing else. To start with draw a single straight line, bonus points if you use a ruler/straight edge. Go over that line 10 times without making it thicker. Repeat the straight line 5 more times. Then go on to curved lines. Then circles. Then waves. Then funky patterns. Whatever you want. If you do this every day your lining and inking confidence will SKYROCKET. You will teach yourself to hold your hand steady, how to pace your pen, how to predict lines and understand exactly how much pressure to use to keep the line width consistent.

unknown.png
Oh so you mean a sketch like this? :P

I'm kidding but I'm also not. Messy sketches, as long as you can read them in the end, are really helpful for beginning/intermediate artists. You need that wiggle room to really find the anatomy and implied lines. Learning the lines and shapes is done through sketching. Final details come later. This is the bulk of your learning process. Learning is messy. You'll clean up and get better as you go. :)

Your expressions are really nice! I want to see what happens if you try. >:) As for the anatomy and posing, yeah that can be tricky. While wings are technically arms, they're very distorted and extended. You'll always want to find a reference that matches the limbs you're trying to draw. Practicing weird poses is GOOD. It teaches you that stretch and foreshortening. I'd first recommend sitting there and drawing out a few pages of wings just learning the bone structure. Knowing the skeleton is half the battle right there.

For proportions, learn where the rib cage is. Literally for everything. Rib cage is your saving grace, everything builds around it. (You already draw skeletons so you have an edge here) Animal rib cages give you the best sense of proportion and scale that you can ask for. Same with humans. This is also where you can play around with wonky proportions, but you need to learn the rules first in order to break them!

You're fine, I enjoy the long reply and seeing how excited you are! I can tell you're excited to keep learning and creating! Keep at it, I believe in you! :D
vDH0pGc.png
Oh hey there, dude this is one of the coolest and nicest things I've ever seen done before and I thank you so much ^^ I've been working on and planning out a shop for me, and I was wondering if you could help ^^ I am going to be doing quiet a few different things for my commissions so here only like a small bit. [img]https://i.imgur.com/gJZeYCg.png[/img] This one was a gift of sorts, as is this next one. [img]https://i.imgur.com/C4x11Kg.png[/img] I am going to have a more simplified and complexed variant of these lined and painted styles. And I did this background Commission for 20 USD Took me a lot longer than I care to admit for making that one ^^" [img]https://i.imgur.com/SYc9Jjx.png[/img] I also got pixel art here. [img]https://i.imgur.com/iwAMQjB.png[/img] What do you think I should do about these Viscere?
Oh hey there, dude this is one of the coolest and nicest things I've ever seen done before and I thank you so much ^^
I've been working on and planning out a shop for me, and I was wondering if you could help ^^

I am going to be doing quiet a few different things for my commissions so here only like a small bit.
gJZeYCg.png
This one was a gift of sorts, as is this next one.
C4x11Kg.png
I am going to have a more simplified and complexed variant of these lined and painted styles.

And I did this background Commission for 20 USD
Took me a lot longer than I care to admit for making that one ^^"
SYc9Jjx.png

I also got pixel art here.
iwAMQjB.png
What do you think I should do about these Viscere?
sAhQN8T.png1c269cdf42db7da4517ef214bf24f65e1fab3421.png 79bdf3e03f26ca763990aa3f58ff36a432f37c6b.pngfyRIUHP.png
@Viscere

Oh lord I've been schooled

Thank you very much for the help, I'll make sure to punt my prices into the stratosphere after getting bonked so much lmao-

Thank you!

EDIT:
I've bumped up the prices, are they better now?
@Viscere

Oh lord I've been schooled

Thank you very much for the help, I'll make sure to punt my prices into the stratosphere after getting bonked so much lmao-

Thank you!

EDIT:
I've bumped up the prices, are they better now?

-She/Her They/Them
-CET (+9 FR)
-Check out my Art Shop!
EYES_for_fr.png
@viscere
thank you so much for taking your time to reply! i really appreciate it, i'll keep your advice in mind!! thank you for all the help so far :D
@viscere
thank you so much for taking your time to reply! i really appreciate it, i'll keep your advice in mind!! thank you for all the help so far :D
xxxxxxxxxx
XEgPYe5.gif
xxxxx
oogam // they // fr+15
KORONESUKI :3
~ ART shop ~

yubi
CHOUDAI.
xxxxx
fmWbO7I.png
@Viscere I'm setting up my art store again, and I need help with pricing. The picture below was charged for 90 gems, but the person paid 120. I increased my prices, so that piece would now cost 2160 gems. I know that's a price jump, but I've spent quite a while on redoing my shop, and looking at other people's commission prices for reference. [url=https://ibb.co/pQywdW1][img]https://i.ibb.co/xYHL6m2/IMG-2075.png[/img][/url] Also, here's a drawing I did of your bab Aurelia [url=https://ibb.co/rFCZv1V][img]https://i.ibb.co/ckGNx7j/IMG-9502.jpg[/img][/url]
@Viscere

I'm setting up my art store again, and I need help with pricing. The picture below was charged for 90 gems, but the person paid 120. I increased my prices, so that piece would now cost 2160 gems. I know that's a price jump, but I've spent quite a while on redoing my shop, and looking at other people's commission prices for reference.

IMG-2075.png

Also, here's a drawing I did of your bab Aurelia
IMG-9502.jpg
Art Shop! We're Open!
The contents of this message have been removed. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to Flight Rising Support.
The contents of this message have been removed. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to Flight Rising Support.
I’m hoping for some word on what I should be charging for pieces like these in FR currency: https://sta.sh/2yzlayvyrul

My regular currency prices stand at around £8 for this kind of thing, but converting that directly into site currency is like - a lot of gems/treasure, and I’m not sure I can actually find interest for that,,

Any advice on that regard would be super appreciated! Thanks in advance ^^
I’m hoping for some word on what I should be charging for pieces like these in FR currency: https://sta.sh/2yzlayvyrul

My regular currency prices stand at around £8 for this kind of thing, but converting that directly into site currency is like - a lot of gems/treasure, and I’m not sure I can actually find interest for that,,

Any advice on that regard would be super appreciated! Thanks in advance ^^
MlzLY3o.png
Friendly bump
Friendly bump
iiILKcw.png You pay me:
Mystic Arts Shop
Crow's Bow-tique
Fallen Moon's Warriors
•••••••••••••••••••
I pay you:
Grind for me
Melt for me
•••••••••••••••••••
wVdpf6V.png
@Aetherstorm

What is consistent reply schedule ahahaha sorry for the wait!

Looks like your link doesn't work anymore! Did you have the art posted somewhere else where I can take a peep at it?
@Aetherstorm

What is consistent reply schedule ahahaha sorry for the wait!

Looks like your link doesn't work anymore! Did you have the art posted somewhere else where I can take a peep at it?
vDH0pGc.png
1 2 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 76 77