Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Tumblr is awful
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
i think a very important point is that no person is the same or finds offense in the same things. nobody can speak for an entire group of people. you get along fine and arent generally in fear of oppression? thats great! its great that youre able to cope well in your situation. but heres the thing; this is not the case for everyone. telling people that theyre wrong and should deal with their issues the exact same way as you do is egocentric and ignorant.

i disagree with a lot of things that are being posted on tumblr too, but i dont like how people often dismiss everything as ~*lol sjw*~ without even being willing to listen to what they have to say. sure, there are tons of bad allies who speak over the group theyre claiming to support, but there are also tons speaking from their own legitimate experience. tumblr is huge and youve only seen certain parts of it. but yeah the fact that you often cant voice a simple opinion without the possibility of death threats is a big problem.
i think a very important point is that no person is the same or finds offense in the same things. nobody can speak for an entire group of people. you get along fine and arent generally in fear of oppression? thats great! its great that youre able to cope well in your situation. but heres the thing; this is not the case for everyone. telling people that theyre wrong and should deal with their issues the exact same way as you do is egocentric and ignorant.

i disagree with a lot of things that are being posted on tumblr too, but i dont like how people often dismiss everything as ~*lol sjw*~ without even being willing to listen to what they have to say. sure, there are tons of bad allies who speak over the group theyre claiming to support, but there are also tons speaking from their own legitimate experience. tumblr is huge and youve only seen certain parts of it. but yeah the fact that you often cant voice a simple opinion without the possibility of death threats is a big problem.

That is why we live like heathens
Stealing from the trees of Eden
Living in the arms of freedom
And everything we touch is evil

To state it plainly, the world we live in is a hostile environment. I've lived in many places, including across an entire ocean, and have still met degrading and terrible people. I do not get to choose whether or not I run into those people.

Time and time again, I'm amazed that anyone can call internet sites a terrible thing. For me, it's enlightening and I can literally block the people I don't like, report condescending behavior, and keep tabs on my content.

As for tumblr, I'm really thankful for the things it has brought to my attention to, whether it be a kitten dancing or a new movement.

We all have the ability to state our thoughts plainly and I believe that everyone, including the extreme, use the internet as a medium to best describe them. Some places simply seem a bit more unfiltered than others. It all depends on yourself and how you can create the environment in which you want to be involved.

I know it doesn't help anyone when it comes to cannons or the words that end up leaking through the cracks, but I'd rather hear them and acknowledge differences (as insane as they might be) before comepletely disregarding it. I'd prefer this over the internet than at my door step... I don't really know how else to word it.

Regardless, I still enjoy tumblr and I understand those that do not. I will continue to support my beliefs in a well mannered fashion and never become one of the people I dislike most.

To state it plainly, the world we live in is a hostile environment. I've lived in many places, including across an entire ocean, and have still met degrading and terrible people. I do not get to choose whether or not I run into those people.

Time and time again, I'm amazed that anyone can call internet sites a terrible thing. For me, it's enlightening and I can literally block the people I don't like, report condescending behavior, and keep tabs on my content.

As for tumblr, I'm really thankful for the things it has brought to my attention to, whether it be a kitten dancing or a new movement.

We all have the ability to state our thoughts plainly and I believe that everyone, including the extreme, use the internet as a medium to best describe them. Some places simply seem a bit more unfiltered than others. It all depends on yourself and how you can create the environment in which you want to be involved.

I know it doesn't help anyone when it comes to cannons or the words that end up leaking through the cracks, but I'd rather hear them and acknowledge differences (as insane as they might be) before comepletely disregarding it. I'd prefer this over the internet than at my door step... I don't really know how else to word it.

Regardless, I still enjoy tumblr and I understand those that do not. I will continue to support my beliefs in a well mannered fashion and never become one of the people I dislike most.
pixel_pebble.gif
@firiath [quote]But women have a tendency to get more lenient sentences for the same crime. Being a man rather than a woman increases your prison sentence more than it does being black vs white.[/quote] I'm suspicious of that claim, because women who killed their significant others get longer sentences than men who do (I believe it's a 15 years to 2 years respectively). Keep in mind that most women who kill their male partners do it out of self defense, in comparison to men who kill their female partners out of jealousy. The "men get longer sentences" is said a lot but it doesn't necessarily make it true. I will say that I cannot say for sure. I don't know why you're repeatedly telling me that things aren't black and white. I never denied that bad things happen to privileged groups. [i]I'm terrified to hear people say things like that, because people will think that's the dominant and accepted point of view within the trans, gay, etc. communities. That could cause people to treat me differently, because they don't want to be put in a situation where they will be insulted (which is understandable!). This could cause me to lose my job, even if they would have never fired me for my gender or sexuality before.[/i] No one has ever thought "you know, I'd treat you like a human if those people on Tumblr weren't so mean." As I've said several times, politeness will not guarantee favor. No one in the history of human kind has thought "oh those people we hate are so nice, we should let them have rights". What happens is that activists get angry, challenge their oppressors, and fight for change. I don't believe it's the communities' responsibility to make their oppressors feel comfortable and I truly believe it's better if we don't try to (we as in oppressed groups). That time and energy is better spent on other things. Society has always hated those who advocate for change. It always will. Always. For example, people have considered feminists to be society destroying radicals for wanting voting rights. Tell me, do you think it would have been easier if those feminists were just nicer? What makes the bigots of today different? I just...don't care that girls on tumblr are saying they hate men and everything else. Not one iota. I've explained why many times so I won't anymore. I'm burning out on this thread, so I'm not guaranteeing that I'll keep posting.
@firiath
Quote:
But women have a tendency to get more lenient sentences for the same crime. Being a man rather than a woman increases your prison sentence more than it does being black vs white.

I'm suspicious of that claim, because women who killed their significant others get longer sentences than men who do (I believe it's a 15 years to 2 years respectively). Keep in mind that most women who kill their male partners do it out of self defense, in comparison to men who kill their female partners out of jealousy. The "men get longer sentences" is said a lot but it doesn't necessarily make it true. I will say that I cannot say for sure.

I don't know why you're repeatedly telling me that things aren't black and white. I never denied that bad things happen to privileged groups.

I'm terrified to hear people say things like that, because people will think that's the dominant and accepted point of view within the trans, gay, etc. communities. That could cause people to treat me differently, because they don't want to be put in a situation where they will be insulted (which is understandable!). This could cause me to lose my job, even if they would have never fired me for my gender or sexuality before.

No one has ever thought "you know, I'd treat you like a human if those people on Tumblr weren't so mean."

As I've said several times, politeness will not guarantee favor. No one in the history of human kind has thought "oh those people we hate are so nice, we should let them have rights". What happens is that activists get angry, challenge their oppressors, and fight for change.

I don't believe it's the communities' responsibility to make their oppressors feel comfortable and I truly believe it's better if we don't try to (we as in oppressed groups). That time and energy is better spent on other things.

Society has always hated those who advocate for change. It always will. Always. For example, people have considered feminists to be society destroying radicals for wanting voting rights. Tell me, do you think it would have been easier if those feminists were just nicer? What makes the bigots of today different?

I just...don't care that girls on tumblr are saying they hate men and everything else. Not one iota. I've explained why many times so I won't anymore.

I'm burning out on this thread, so I'm not guaranteeing that I'll keep posting.
479.png"I don't want to set the world on fire~"
?????????

This thread is an Actual Disaster. Cis is not a slur, it will never be a slur, and you can go around outside as an openly cis person and not be killed or beaten for being cis and people will not ever be screaming at you, in person, "Die Cis Scum" while they try to kill you, it's not a slur. A slur is used to dehumanize people and to allow them to feel self-righteous about their prejudices, it's not a word that makes you feel bad. The connotations are different. If someone is using "cis" in a way that makes you feel bad, it's an insult, not a slur.

I will agree that Radical Feminism is harmful, but I also don't believe it's not actively harming the entire female gender, that would be literally impossible and ridiculous. If you are using the entirety of the RadFem movement to write off the female gender, that's your problem. Intersectional Feminism works to better society. If you have a problem with that, I have no idea what to tell you.

If people telling you that they are oppressed makes you hate them, you are a problem and need to seriously re-evaluate why on Earth you feel the need to hate people.

I am white and I have never felt ashamed of being white, only of what other white people do in racist circumstances. Overcoming some deeply held shame over the things you did before you knew better is part of growing up and becoming an active part of society as a whole.

The violent aggression on tumblr would happen anywhere on the internet for any reason, because the internet grants anonymity. This is nothing new or noteworthy about the internet and you can just turn of Anon asks if you're getting hate.

To conclude: the Social Justice crowd are not attacking you or anyone for "not liking the same thing." They are primarily interested in getting the word out there on oppression and letting people know if they are problematic. Harmful opinions, such as you hating oppressed minorities for talking about their oppression, is nothing more than prejudice.

I'm sure you'll write off me and anyone who has said otherwise or agrees with me as little more than an SJW, unworthy of your time or attention or god forbid, someone who is actively oppressing you or something, but the fact is that this thread is a hot mess and anyone who agrees with you needs to sorely take a sociology course stat.

Also... tumblr is not the hivemind that people seem to think it is. It's not an amorphous entity. You can change your dash if you want to quite easily. ...I'm honestly constantly surprised how many people I see complaining about the SJ crowd on tumblr, but no one ever complains about the literal Neo-Nazis or White Supremacists that are all over the place on tumblr.

Edit: @Fabiform The thing you quoted is, in fact, incorrect. Women often get heavier or equivalent prison sentences. In the cases of spousal murder, women almost across the board get heavier sentences, even in cases where it was self-defense.
?????????

This thread is an Actual Disaster. Cis is not a slur, it will never be a slur, and you can go around outside as an openly cis person and not be killed or beaten for being cis and people will not ever be screaming at you, in person, "Die Cis Scum" while they try to kill you, it's not a slur. A slur is used to dehumanize people and to allow them to feel self-righteous about their prejudices, it's not a word that makes you feel bad. The connotations are different. If someone is using "cis" in a way that makes you feel bad, it's an insult, not a slur.

I will agree that Radical Feminism is harmful, but I also don't believe it's not actively harming the entire female gender, that would be literally impossible and ridiculous. If you are using the entirety of the RadFem movement to write off the female gender, that's your problem. Intersectional Feminism works to better society. If you have a problem with that, I have no idea what to tell you.

If people telling you that they are oppressed makes you hate them, you are a problem and need to seriously re-evaluate why on Earth you feel the need to hate people.

I am white and I have never felt ashamed of being white, only of what other white people do in racist circumstances. Overcoming some deeply held shame over the things you did before you knew better is part of growing up and becoming an active part of society as a whole.

The violent aggression on tumblr would happen anywhere on the internet for any reason, because the internet grants anonymity. This is nothing new or noteworthy about the internet and you can just turn of Anon asks if you're getting hate.

To conclude: the Social Justice crowd are not attacking you or anyone for "not liking the same thing." They are primarily interested in getting the word out there on oppression and letting people know if they are problematic. Harmful opinions, such as you hating oppressed minorities for talking about their oppression, is nothing more than prejudice.

I'm sure you'll write off me and anyone who has said otherwise or agrees with me as little more than an SJW, unworthy of your time or attention or god forbid, someone who is actively oppressing you or something, but the fact is that this thread is a hot mess and anyone who agrees with you needs to sorely take a sociology course stat.

Also... tumblr is not the hivemind that people seem to think it is. It's not an amorphous entity. You can change your dash if you want to quite easily. ...I'm honestly constantly surprised how many people I see complaining about the SJ crowd on tumblr, but no one ever complains about the literal Neo-Nazis or White Supremacists that are all over the place on tumblr.

Edit: @Fabiform The thing you quoted is, in fact, incorrect. Women often get heavier or equivalent prison sentences. In the cases of spousal murder, women almost across the board get heavier sentences, even in cases where it was self-defense.
27y0sxl.jpg
I am not sure what this thread was hoping to accomplish but it is being locked for generally spiraling out of control.

Please don't post subjects of this nature in the future, thank you.
I am not sure what this thread was hoping to accomplish but it is being locked for generally spiraling out of control.

Please don't post subjects of this nature in the future, thank you.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10