Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Coliseum Seems Unbalanced?
I did the first location, where it says level 1-3. That was easy enough. But the next area, level 4-6, is way beyond my dragons' abilities. I've allocated their attribute points already, and they arent high enough level to use ability stones. I can't survive a battle long enough to get more experience, and they don't get an XP boost in the 1-3 anymore because they're level 4. All the monsters in the 4-6 area are super fast and dodge everything my dragons throw at them, and seem to have a ton of health.

How is this balanced at all? I feel like it would make sense for it to be a step up from the first area, but this is way more than a step up.
I did the first location, where it says level 1-3. That was easy enough. But the next area, level 4-6, is way beyond my dragons' abilities. I've allocated their attribute points already, and they arent high enough level to use ability stones. I can't survive a battle long enough to get more experience, and they don't get an XP boost in the 1-3 anymore because they're level 4. All the monsters in the 4-6 area are super fast and dodge everything my dragons throw at them, and seem to have a ton of health.

How is this balanced at all? I feel like it would make sense for it to be a step up from the first area, but this is way more than a step up.
@keenbtf what dragons are you using? Since you’re new you’re likely allocating your stats evenly, which make the coliseum SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult. I’d suggest heading over to the guides forum and looking up “how to train your dragon” by culex and “Sedona build”. These two show proper stat allocation methods.
@keenbtf what dragons are you using? Since you’re new you’re likely allocating your stats evenly, which make the coliseum SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult. I’d suggest heading over to the guides forum and looking up “how to train your dragon” by culex and “Sedona build”. These two show proper stat allocation methods.
giphy.gifp74ovv7.gifmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

G1 sales

p74ovv7.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
@Shinyumbreon

I am not. I've boosted attack and speed, with a little in critical attack. I've played RPG games so I know good ways to allocate points.
@Shinyumbreon

I am not. I've boosted attack and speed, with a little in critical attack. I've played RPG games so I know good ways to allocate points.
@keenbtf I took a look at your team, and the AGI is the problem. You want QCK.

Here are links to the guides I mentioned

Culex (w/eliminate)
https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1040710

Sedona (no eliminate)
https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2217190#post_2217190

I also noticed that you’re using a mage (tundra). This isn’t recommended as mages are significantly less powerful than physical attackers (scratch users)
@keenbtf I took a look at your team, and the AGI is the problem. You want QCK.

Here are links to the guides I mentioned

Culex (w/eliminate)
https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1040710

Sedona (no eliminate)
https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2217190#post_2217190

I also noticed that you’re using a mage (tundra). This isn’t recommended as mages are significantly less powerful than physical attackers (scratch users)

G1 sales

p74ovv7.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
@Shinyumbreon
I do not like making builds that other people tell me to make. That shouldn't be necessary to be able to play a game. Not being able to use a mage because they're weaker also shouldn't be a thing. So the game is unbalanced if that is the case.

I looked up what the different stats do and chose accordingly. If they want people to make things a specific way rather than a way that fits their play style, then they shoudlnt give you the choice in where to put the stat points.

Just my opinion. If I can't have fun and build them to fit my style then that will not be a feature that I will use. Since you have to use it, then I guess it breaks the game, for me at least. Sad.
@Shinyumbreon
I do not like making builds that other people tell me to make. That shouldn't be necessary to be able to play a game. Not being able to use a mage because they're weaker also shouldn't be a thing. So the game is unbalanced if that is the case.

I looked up what the different stats do and chose accordingly. If they want people to make things a specific way rather than a way that fits their play style, then they shoudlnt give you the choice in where to put the stat points.

Just my opinion. If I can't have fun and build them to fit my style then that will not be a feature that I will use. Since you have to use it, then I guess it breaks the game, for me at least. Sad.
@keenbtf I don’t know what you want me to say then. I’m not saying you have to use those guides. I didn’t, and my team works fine (I very, very loosely followed culex for the general stat allocation. You can see an example of this on Eve on the first page in my lair). You were having trouble with turn frequency and yet none of your dragons have any points in QCK- the stat that increases the amount of turns you get.
Mages are used more as healers rather that attackers, is more what I meant. They can be used offensively, but it’s rare to see with the existence of eliminate.

You also don’t have to use the coli. I’m not sure where you got that from. Many people don’t use coli at all, and get on fine.
@keenbtf I don’t know what you want me to say then. I’m not saying you have to use those guides. I didn’t, and my team works fine (I very, very loosely followed culex for the general stat allocation. You can see an example of this on Eve on the first page in my lair). You were having trouble with turn frequency and yet none of your dragons have any points in QCK- the stat that increases the amount of turns you get.
Mages are used more as healers rather that attackers, is more what I meant. They can be used offensively, but it’s rare to see with the existence of eliminate.

You also don’t have to use the coli. I’m not sure where you got that from. Many people don’t use coli at all, and get on fine.

G1 sales

p74ovv7.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
@KeenBTF If you don't want to use the coli that's fine but since you just said you wanted to focus on speed and attack it just seems like you've misunderstood AGI and QCK.
AGI increases your crit and dodge chance while QCK increases your turn frequency/speed.
You can stat your dragons how you like but just like in most RPGs some builds are significantly better than others.
And this is ignoring that the coli isn't the main focus of the game and isn't meant to be a proper, in-depth RPG. It's just a little monster killing game.

But if this isn't the game for you that's fine :D No sense trying to force yourself to play something you don't like.
@KeenBTF If you don't want to use the coli that's fine but since you just said you wanted to focus on speed and attack it just seems like you've misunderstood AGI and QCK.
AGI increases your crit and dodge chance while QCK increases your turn frequency/speed.
You can stat your dragons how you like but just like in most RPGs some builds are significantly better than others.
And this is ignoring that the coli isn't the main focus of the game and isn't meant to be a proper, in-depth RPG. It's just a little monster killing game.

But if this isn't the game for you that's fine :D No sense trying to force yourself to play something you don't like.
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
Even though you're not getting the boost, you can still get xp in the lower venue until your dragons are a few levels higher. That will help them be better prepared to face the next venue's enemies.
Even though you're not getting the boost, you can still get xp in the lower venue until your dragons are a few levels higher. That will help them be better prepared to face the next venue's enemies.

Available at cost to Plague flight members.
@keenbtf

Unfortunately, for purposes of training, there is an optimal configuration for beating levels. Once you do level your dragons up, things become considerably more interesting; there are mage builds and tank builds and all sorts of things. It’s just that leveling up with many of those builds is excessively time-consuming, which is why stat guides and what have you exist.

Flight Rising isn’t a game that’s meant to be ‘won’ by achieving some specific goal. It’s almost better to compare it to a sandbox-style game such as Minecraft. Can you do it alone? Sure. But learning from others and collaborating is so much more fun.
@keenbtf

Unfortunately, for purposes of training, there is an optimal configuration for beating levels. Once you do level your dragons up, things become considerably more interesting; there are mage builds and tank builds and all sorts of things. It’s just that leveling up with many of those builds is excessively time-consuming, which is why stat guides and what have you exist.

Flight Rising isn’t a game that’s meant to be ‘won’ by achieving some specific goal. It’s almost better to compare it to a sandbox-style game such as Minecraft. Can you do it alone? Sure. But learning from others and collaborating is so much more fun.
mkpoaHZ.png
@KeenBTF Mages can also be very useful. The battles won''t be ended as quickly as with a lvl 25 eliminate-equiped physical fighter (the eliminate stone is VERY powerful, and it works based on the STR stat, which I suspect is the main reason mages aren't as highly regarded - that and the fact that they can't attack and gain breath on the same turn, unlike a scratcher), but you can make a team of mages able to hold their own against enemies. (though I must admit that all of my teams so far have had at least one physical fighter on them, they have all also had mages on them who contributed to the team just as much as the physical fighters) If they have a heal and a regenerate between them, then you can get along fine without ever having to refresh due to low health or use heal potions. Contuse is a helpful stone to have to reduce the attack of the opposing team - especially helpful against bosses and for cases when the dragon is elementally weak against all of the enemies. Learn the elemental strengths of your mages - when your mage is up against an enemy that it is elementally strong against, the dragon's elemental bolt attack will do a LOT of damage. Keep an eye on the elemental weaknesses as well - if there's an enemy mage it helps to know who of your dragons is at risk.
This paragraph is a bit long and I'm not in the mood to edit it, so the short of it is: mages can't finish battles as quickly as eliminate-equipped physical fighters, but they can perfectly well be used in the coliseum, both as healers and for powerful elemental attack. Here's one of my best mages, he works in a team of three with a mage and a fighter and is great in the golem workshop because so many of the enemies there are weak to the arcane element.

I have raised a number of dragons to level 25 from scratch, without using any guides because I wanted to see how I would do it for myself, so I completely understand your sentiment about wanting to experiment. It's also fun to progress upwards through the venues. :) That said, the jump up to the Scorched Forest is a bit steep, so you might want to train your dragons in the venue below that for another level. They might not have the boost any more, but they still earn experience, and those extra stat points will make the scorched forest easier to handle.

Now, I didn't really read any guides in-depth, but I gathered a bit of info on the various stats, so here are my observations.
STR and INT - determine how much damage your dragon does. Most effective seems to be to choose either one or the other. Your dragon is either a mage or a fighter, there just aren't enough stat points available to make it good at both. Usually dragons using Meditate are made to be mages, because of the debuff on strength attacks that it carries. By the same token, scratch users are statted as fighters since scratch does damage based on strength. On that note, make sure to always check whether a stone does damage based on STR or INT - if a dragon with high INT and low STR tries to use a STR-fuelled stone, it will do abysmally little damage; same for a STR dragon using mage stones. Basically - choose whether the dragon will use strength or intelligence, and make sure the stones you give it are geared towards the correct stat.

QCK - this increases how often your dragons get a turn, which makes it another highly useful stat, for obvious reasons. The more often your dragons act, the less often the enemies have a chance at damaging your dragons. I try to gauge how much I need based on the enemies' and the dragons' turn frequencies - if I go into a battle and see that up next are mostly the enemies and rarely my dragons, then I need more quickness. If the frequency is about equal, I might add a bit, or I might focus on other stats for that level's stats instead.

DEF, MND and VIT - these affect damage to your dragon. Defence decreases damage taken from physical attacks, mind decreases damage taken from magical attacks. Vitality increases the number of health points the dragon has to lose before it goes down. I tend to add DEF and MND equally, but focus on VIT more, since it helps the dragon survive longer regardless of the attack type, thus feels more effective for me. However, this is definitely an area where I'd say you should try and experiment and see what works for you.

AGI - the oddest one. It's supposed to increase the chances of dodging and of landing a critical hit, but it barely seems to do anything. I don't know if it's bugged, or unbalanced, or what, but generally stat points you're considering putting here could be better used elsewhere. I still add a few here as a sort of good-luck charm, but I'm not sure to what extent they actually affect anything. (I keep wanting to do an experiment with two dragons, statted equally except for one having a ton of agility and the other - not, and recording who dodges and crit-hits and how often,, but I haven't got around to it yet)

Sorry this is rather long, but I wanted to share my observations on general principles rather than specific models. The guides are actually really cool in seeing how people have optimised stat allocation, but it's a lot of fun to experiment for yourself as well. If you have any questions about specific stones or something, feel free to send me a private message. Or reply here, whatever floats your boat.

Edit: And here's a team of two, a fighter and a mage, who I use as a pair in the kelp beds quite effectively. Fighter and mage, stats allocated on the go, whatever seemed like a good idea at the time in order to have them able to survive as a pair rather than a threesome as I had done before.

also yeah, there's plenty to do on flight rising without using the coliseum, if you don't want to use it. Personally I find breeding dragons, dressing them up and writing lore to be just as entertaining, perhaps even more so.
@KeenBTF Mages can also be very useful. The battles won''t be ended as quickly as with a lvl 25 eliminate-equiped physical fighter (the eliminate stone is VERY powerful, and it works based on the STR stat, which I suspect is the main reason mages aren't as highly regarded - that and the fact that they can't attack and gain breath on the same turn, unlike a scratcher), but you can make a team of mages able to hold their own against enemies. (though I must admit that all of my teams so far have had at least one physical fighter on them, they have all also had mages on them who contributed to the team just as much as the physical fighters) If they have a heal and a regenerate between them, then you can get along fine without ever having to refresh due to low health or use heal potions. Contuse is a helpful stone to have to reduce the attack of the opposing team - especially helpful against bosses and for cases when the dragon is elementally weak against all of the enemies. Learn the elemental strengths of your mages - when your mage is up against an enemy that it is elementally strong against, the dragon's elemental bolt attack will do a LOT of damage. Keep an eye on the elemental weaknesses as well - if there's an enemy mage it helps to know who of your dragons is at risk.
This paragraph is a bit long and I'm not in the mood to edit it, so the short of it is: mages can't finish battles as quickly as eliminate-equipped physical fighters, but they can perfectly well be used in the coliseum, both as healers and for powerful elemental attack. Here's one of my best mages, he works in a team of three with a mage and a fighter and is great in the golem workshop because so many of the enemies there are weak to the arcane element.

I have raised a number of dragons to level 25 from scratch, without using any guides because I wanted to see how I would do it for myself, so I completely understand your sentiment about wanting to experiment. It's also fun to progress upwards through the venues. :) That said, the jump up to the Scorched Forest is a bit steep, so you might want to train your dragons in the venue below that for another level. They might not have the boost any more, but they still earn experience, and those extra stat points will make the scorched forest easier to handle.

Now, I didn't really read any guides in-depth, but I gathered a bit of info on the various stats, so here are my observations.
STR and INT - determine how much damage your dragon does. Most effective seems to be to choose either one or the other. Your dragon is either a mage or a fighter, there just aren't enough stat points available to make it good at both. Usually dragons using Meditate are made to be mages, because of the debuff on strength attacks that it carries. By the same token, scratch users are statted as fighters since scratch does damage based on strength. On that note, make sure to always check whether a stone does damage based on STR or INT - if a dragon with high INT and low STR tries to use a STR-fuelled stone, it will do abysmally little damage; same for a STR dragon using mage stones. Basically - choose whether the dragon will use strength or intelligence, and make sure the stones you give it are geared towards the correct stat.

QCK - this increases how often your dragons get a turn, which makes it another highly useful stat, for obvious reasons. The more often your dragons act, the less often the enemies have a chance at damaging your dragons. I try to gauge how much I need based on the enemies' and the dragons' turn frequencies - if I go into a battle and see that up next are mostly the enemies and rarely my dragons, then I need more quickness. If the frequency is about equal, I might add a bit, or I might focus on other stats for that level's stats instead.

DEF, MND and VIT - these affect damage to your dragon. Defence decreases damage taken from physical attacks, mind decreases damage taken from magical attacks. Vitality increases the number of health points the dragon has to lose before it goes down. I tend to add DEF and MND equally, but focus on VIT more, since it helps the dragon survive longer regardless of the attack type, thus feels more effective for me. However, this is definitely an area where I'd say you should try and experiment and see what works for you.

AGI - the oddest one. It's supposed to increase the chances of dodging and of landing a critical hit, but it barely seems to do anything. I don't know if it's bugged, or unbalanced, or what, but generally stat points you're considering putting here could be better used elsewhere. I still add a few here as a sort of good-luck charm, but I'm not sure to what extent they actually affect anything. (I keep wanting to do an experiment with two dragons, statted equally except for one having a ton of agility and the other - not, and recording who dodges and crit-hits and how often,, but I haven't got around to it yet)

Sorry this is rather long, but I wanted to share my observations on general principles rather than specific models. The guides are actually really cool in seeing how people have optimised stat allocation, but it's a lot of fun to experiment for yourself as well. If you have any questions about specific stones or something, feel free to send me a private message. Or reply here, whatever floats your boat.

Edit: And here's a team of two, a fighter and a mage, who I use as a pair in the kelp beds quite effectively. Fighter and mage, stats allocated on the go, whatever seemed like a good idea at the time in order to have them able to survive as a pair rather than a threesome as I had done before.

also yeah, there's plenty to do on flight rising without using the coliseum, if you don't want to use it. Personally I find breeding dragons, dressing them up and writing lore to be just as entertaining, perhaps even more so.
Bat_on_a_string_sig_size.pngoIKb3Tj.png5hHSdlu.gif