Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [BSJ] Cooking Contest (entries CLOSED)
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16
@sylvandyr oh jeez i didnt even notice it was the first sunny side up entry, lets hope some others get in here and give me some good competition! hoping to make an entry for some of the other catagories tomorrow-- i'd do it today, but i think i've eaten enough!
@sylvandyr oh jeez i didnt even notice it was the first sunny side up entry, lets hope some others get in here and give me some good competition! hoping to make an entry for some of the other catagories tomorrow-- i'd do it today, but i think i've eaten enough!
[b]Username:[/b] brighteningskies [b]Category:[/b] Sunshine is sweet [b]Entry Title:[/b] OG Date Sticky Toffee Pudding Cupcakes (It angers me when people make sticky toffee pudding without dates. It's just not the same!) I used a slightly edited version of [url=https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3682/ultimate-sticky-toffee-pudding]this recipe[/url] as I prefer my pudding with less richness and lighter in flavour. Ingredients: 250g whole dates 175ml boiling water 1 tsp vanilla extract 175g flour 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda 2 eggs 85g softened butter 140g dark brown sugar (Optional few teaspoons of treacle which I did not add) 100ml milk Toffee Sauce: 120g dark brown sugar 120g butter 100ml cream or full cream milk (I used semi-skimmed because all the butter provides enough richness for a lifetime tbh xD) Had the finished ramekin product with custard but the cupcakes have more sauce and thus are designed to be eaten as is: [img]https://i.imgur.com/pDg2ZnM.jpg[/img] Ran out of cupcake cases so used some ramekins: [img]https://i.imgur.com/C5d6A9G.jpg[/img] Spooning on the toffee sauce: [img]https://i.imgur.com/26imjtG.jpg[/img] Idk I'm not good with words today oops xD but I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out! ^_^
Username: brighteningskies

Category: Sunshine is sweet

Entry Title: OG Date Sticky Toffee Pudding Cupcakes (It angers me when people make sticky toffee pudding without dates. It's just not the same!) I used a slightly edited version of this recipe as I prefer my pudding with less richness and lighter in flavour.

Ingredients:
250g whole dates
175ml boiling water
1 tsp vanilla extract
175g flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 eggs
85g softened butter
140g dark brown sugar
(Optional few teaspoons of treacle which I did not add)
100ml milk

Toffee Sauce:
120g dark brown sugar
120g butter
100ml cream or full cream milk (I used semi-skimmed because all the butter provides enough richness for a lifetime tbh xD)

Had the finished ramekin product with custard but the cupcakes have more sauce and thus are designed to be eaten as is:

pDg2ZnM.jpg

Ran out of cupcake cases so used some ramekins:
C5d6A9G.jpg

Spooning on the toffee sauce:
26imjtG.jpg

Idk I'm not good with words today oops xD but I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out! ^_^
NFJCNCS.gif UBaiWUV.png
bYt72YT.png
rUoKR6y.png
YMPbu9R.png
BY1bl09.png ZFAfDzf.png eVSz2yG.png
@Roenais Omg that looks amazing! :D I'm kinda inspired by it to maybe make tamagoyaki tonight if I have the time. Egg dishes are so good <3 Also: [quote]tiny goblin stomach[/quote] [quote]a miracle[/quote] [quote]the pitiful drizzle[/quote] lmao
@Roenais
Omg that looks amazing! :D

I'm kinda inspired by it to maybe make tamagoyaki tonight if I have the time.
Egg dishes are so good <3

Also:
Quote:
tiny goblin stomach
Quote:
a miracle
Quote:
the pitiful drizzle
lmao
NFJCNCS.gif UBaiWUV.png
bYt72YT.png
rUoKR6y.png
YMPbu9R.png
BY1bl09.png ZFAfDzf.png eVSz2yG.png
[b]Username:[/b] Kitki [b]Category:[/b] Sunny Side Up [b]Entry Title:[/b] Lemon Muffins [img]https://i.imgur.com/U8Eta28.jpg[/img] [b]Ingredients[/b]: 1 3/4 cups flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt 2/3 cup granulated sugar 2 large eggs 3/4 cup plain non-fat yogurt 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter 2 1/4 tablespoons canola oil zest and juice of a lemon 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (You can leave out the canola oil and double the butter if you like) [b]Instructions[/b]: Preheat the oven to 425F. Grease a muffin pan or line with paper. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Add sugar and lemon zest. In a separate bowl, combine yogurt, butter, oil, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Add eggs and whisk together; you should get a pale yellow mix, about the consistency of the yogurt. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon. Make sure to get all the flour into the mixture. I sometimes work the flour in with my hands. Using a spoon, scoop the batter into the muffin pan. I usually need to use my finger to get the batter off the spoon. Bake muffins at 425F for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and continue cooking about 15 minutes. Remove muffin pan and stick a toothpick into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, turn the oven off. Leave the muffins in the pan until the pan is cool enough to touch, then remove muffins to a plate. Try a muffin! (I swear this makes a dozen muffins, ignore that there are only 11 in the picture.) Tip: If you want the presence of the lemon zest to be more obvious, you can peel the lemon and cut the peel into small chunks with a knife instead of using a zester.
Username: Kitki

Category: Sunny Side Up

Entry Title: Lemon Muffins

U8Eta28.jpg
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup plain non-fat yogurt
3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
2 1/4 tablespoons canola oil
zest and juice of a lemon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
(You can leave out the canola oil and double the butter if you like)

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 425F. Grease a muffin pan or line with paper.

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Add sugar and lemon zest.

In a separate bowl, combine yogurt, butter, oil, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Add eggs and whisk together; you should get a pale yellow mix, about the consistency of the yogurt.

Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon. Make sure to get all the flour into the mixture. I sometimes work the flour in with my hands.

Using a spoon, scoop the batter into the muffin pan. I usually need to use my finger to get the batter off the spoon.

Bake muffins at 425F for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and continue cooking about 15 minutes.

Remove muffin pan and stick a toothpick into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, turn the oven off. Leave the muffins in the pan until the pan is cool enough to touch, then remove muffins to a plate.

Try a muffin! (I swear this makes a dozen muffins, ignore that there are only 11 in the picture.)

Tip: If you want the presence of the lemon zest to be more obvious, you can peel the lemon and cut the peel into small chunks with a knife instead of using a zester.
SNH9aOp.gifiSeAVDm.gifdagsvSj.gifIhwCFGI.gif
ive realised that the light flight has tricked me into eating something other that processed instant noodles >:0 i cannot believe this!
ive realised that the light flight has tricked me into eating something other that processed instant noodles >:0 i cannot believe this!
[quote name="Roenais" date="2018-06-24 13:23:16" ] ive realised that the light flight has tricked me into eating something other that processed instant noodles >:0 i cannot believe this! [/quote] Muahahaha, our plan to make people eat a well-balanced diet is working!
Roenais wrote on 2018-06-24 13:23:16:

Muahahaha, our plan to make people eat a well-balanced diet is working!
[b]Username:[/b] BrightIce [b]Category:[/b] Latte Fair [b]Entry Title:[/b] Strawberry Shortcake [b]Recipe:[/b] ~1 quart strawberries sugar for berries 2 c. flour 2 Tbsp sugar 3 tsp baking powder 1 tsp salt 1/3 c butter, softened (approximately 5Tbsp + 1 tsp) 1 c milk one or two pints heavy whipping cream confectioner's sugar to taste [b]Directions:[/b] Hull, wash, and slice strawberries. Sprinkle a few Tbsp sugar over them and stir well. Put in fridge (or just set aside if you don't like your berries cold). Heat oven to 450 and lightly grease a baking sheet. Mix flour, 2 Tbsp sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk until just blended. Dough looks like goopy biscuit dough. Spoon onto the baking sheet in a big round lump. Basically you are making one gigantic drop biscuit. Bake around 15 minutes or until the top starts to get golden brown. Pour heavy whipping cream into a large mixing bowl and whip with electric mixer until peaks start to form. Add confectioner's sugar slowly, continuing to mix, until cream can hold a peak and the sweetness is to your taste. I tend to like a lighter flavor and usually only add about 1/3 c confectioner's sugar to 2 pints cream. You can also add vanilla along with the sugar if you like. Serve a generous piece of the shortcake hot with the cold strawberries and whipped cream on top. Add your favorite breakfast foods to make this a good fancy breakfast or other meal. (I ate mine for lunch after I made it.) Serves around 4-8 depending on whether you serve it as a dessert or a meal and how big of eaters your family are! [b]Photo:[/b] Full disclosure: I was feeling lazy and used Cool Whip instead of homemade whipped cream, although homemade is always much better. [img]https://i.imgur.com/iotN9G0.jpg[/img]
Username: BrightIce

Category: Latte Fair

Entry Title: Strawberry Shortcake

Recipe:
~1 quart strawberries
sugar for berries
2 c. flour
2 Tbsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 c butter, softened (approximately 5Tbsp + 1 tsp)
1 c milk
one or two pints heavy whipping cream
confectioner's sugar to taste

Directions:
Hull, wash, and slice strawberries. Sprinkle a few Tbsp sugar over them and stir well. Put in fridge (or just set aside if you don't like your berries cold).

Heat oven to 450 and lightly grease a baking sheet. Mix flour, 2 Tbsp sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk until just blended. Dough looks like goopy biscuit dough. Spoon onto the baking sheet in a big round lump. Basically you are making one gigantic drop biscuit. Bake around 15 minutes or until the top starts to get golden brown.

Pour heavy whipping cream into a large mixing bowl and whip with electric mixer until peaks start to form. Add confectioner's sugar slowly, continuing to mix, until cream can hold a peak and the sweetness is to your taste. I tend to like a lighter flavor and usually only add about 1/3 c confectioner's sugar to 2 pints cream. You can also add vanilla along with the sugar if you like.

Serve a generous piece of the shortcake hot with the cold strawberries and whipped cream on top. Add your favorite breakfast foods to make this a good fancy breakfast or other meal. (I ate mine for lunch after I made it.) Serves around 4-8 depending on whether you serve it as a dessert or a meal and how big of eaters your family are!

Photo:
Full disclosure: I was feeling lazy and used Cool Whip instead of homemade whipped cream, although homemade is always much better.
iotN9G0.jpg
XW2PxEW.png
I did a lot of baking this weekend! [b]Username:[/b] BrightIce [b]Category:[/b] Sunny Side Up [b]Entry Title:[/b] Peach Kuchen (this is an odd dessert, halfway between a pie and a cake) [b]Recipe:[/b] 1 c flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 c butter, softened 1/4 c sugar 1 egg 1 tsp almond extract (if you don't like or have this, you can substitute vanilla) Fresh peaches, sliced Berries for garnish, if desired Topping: slivered or sliced almonds, 3 Tbsp turbinado sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon [b]Directions:[/b] Preheat oven to 350 and butter and flour a 9" round cake pan or pie plate. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl cream together butter and sugar, then add egg and almond extract and blend until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and blend well. Spoon dough into the pan or pie plate and spread with a spatula or back of spoon. There is not much batter and it's more like cookie dough than cake batter. See photos of batter before and after spreading. Arrange peach slices in a pretty spiral in the bottom. Fresh peaches are best but thawed frozen or even canned are okay. Sprinkle with cinnamon, turbinado sugar (the kind with big crystals that some people like to put in their coffee), and almond pieces. I like to garnish with blackberries or other contrasting color berries in the very middle of the dish to make it look prettier. Bake 25-30 minutes for a glass or ceramic dish, a little longer for a cake pan. Note: because peaches release a lot of moisture as they cook, the batter frequently looks underdone. This is normal. People who like to eat batter and cookie dough will LOVE this recipe as a result. Pictures of the dough before and after spreading, to give you an idea of how this will look. Note that the batter does not anywhere near fill the pie plate: [img]https://i.imgur.com/Pmz5qYL.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/AxoCwjE.jpg[/img] [b]Photo:[/b] I almost forgot to take a picture of the finished dish with my BSJ information! I took it to my aunt and uncle's house since they had invited me to dinner, and fortunately I remembered the picture before we dug in. Sorry it's a little blurry. A prettier photo is [url=https://i.imgur.com/FMu6Jtb.jpg]here[/url]. [img]https://i.imgur.com/DIA3Kro.jpg[/img]
I did a lot of baking this weekend!

Username: BrightIce

Category: Sunny Side Up

Entry Title: Peach Kuchen (this is an odd dessert, halfway between a pie and a cake)

Recipe:
1 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c butter, softened
1/4 c sugar
1 egg
1 tsp almond extract (if you don't like or have this, you can substitute vanilla)
Fresh peaches, sliced
Berries for garnish, if desired

Topping: slivered or sliced almonds, 3 Tbsp turbinado sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 and butter and flour a 9" round cake pan or pie plate. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl cream together butter and sugar, then add egg and almond extract and blend until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and blend well.

Spoon dough into the pan or pie plate and spread with a spatula or back of spoon. There is not much batter and it's more like cookie dough than cake batter. See photos of batter before and after spreading.

Arrange peach slices in a pretty spiral in the bottom. Fresh peaches are best but thawed frozen or even canned are okay. Sprinkle with cinnamon, turbinado sugar (the kind with big crystals that some people like to put in their coffee), and almond pieces. I like to garnish with blackberries or other contrasting color berries in the very middle of the dish to make it look prettier.

Bake 25-30 minutes for a glass or ceramic dish, a little longer for a cake pan.

Note: because peaches release a lot of moisture as they cook, the batter frequently looks underdone. This is normal. People who like to eat batter and cookie dough will LOVE this recipe as a result.

Pictures of the dough before and after spreading, to give you an idea of how this will look. Note that the batter does not anywhere near fill the pie plate:
Pmz5qYL.jpg
AxoCwjE.jpg

Photo:
I almost forgot to take a picture of the finished dish with my BSJ information! I took it to my aunt and uncle's house since they had invited me to dinner, and fortunately I remembered the picture before we dug in. Sorry it's a little blurry. A prettier photo is here.
DIA3Kro.jpg
XW2PxEW.png
[img]https://i.imgur.com/yZr8whP.jpg[/img] [b]Username:[/b] anika [b]Category:[/b] Latte Faire [b]Entry Title:[/b] Creamy Cauliflower “Risotto” This dish has the creamy richness of a risotto with none of the hassle. As delicious as risotto is, it is unforgiving and requires a lot of attention. This cauliflower imitation is far easier to make. The milk in this dish is key: it coats the bottom of the pan while the cauliflower is cooking, serving as a buffer that prevents the cauliflower from burning. Thanks to this, unlike with regular risotto, you can turn your attention elsewhere while making this dish, allowing you to prepare other dishes or do some chores. The result is just as good as that of a regular risotto, though- this dish is mild and smooth thanks to the cheeses and milk, and just enough bite from the pepper. It’s a good thing it’s filling, otherwise I could eat it all day… This can be eaten on its own as a main dish or as a side dish. The recipe yields enough to serve 3 main dishes or to be a side dish for a large family. It’ll stay good for a few days, so you can save leftovers to heat up and eat later. [u]Ingredients:[/u] [LIST] [*]5 c. riced cauliflower [*]3 Tb. butter [*]3 cloves garlic, minced (equivalent to 1.5 t. if pre-minced from a jar) [*]6 Tb. parmesan cheese* [*]1/2 cup gouda cheese (I recommend a softer, milder gouda)* [*]3/4 cup milk [*]Salt and pepper, to taste [/list] *You can use a block of cheese, but cut it into slices or shred it before using it. Cubes of cheese won’t melt down well in this dish. [u]Instructions:[/u] Put garlic and butter in a deep pan on medium heat. Once butter melts, let the garlic and butter cook for 2-3 minutes. Be sure to stir the garlic to prevent it from burning. Pour the butter mixture in a bowl. Add the riced cauliflower to the pan. If you’re using frozen riced cauliflower like I do, use a spoon to break apart chunks of the rice. Pour the butter mixture over the riced cauliflower. Add in the parmesan cheese, gouda cheese, and milk. Let cook, stirring occasionally. When the riced cauliflower is cooked (soft) and the cheese has melted, season to taste with the salt and pepper. The dish will be bland if underseasoned, so don’t shy away from those shakers!
yZr8whP.jpg

Username: anika

Category: Latte Faire

Entry Title: Creamy Cauliflower “Risotto”

This dish has the creamy richness of a risotto with none of the hassle. As delicious as risotto is, it is unforgiving and requires a lot of attention. This cauliflower imitation is far easier to make. The milk in this dish is key: it coats the bottom of the pan while the cauliflower is cooking, serving as a buffer that prevents the cauliflower from burning. Thanks to this, unlike with regular risotto, you can turn your attention elsewhere while making this dish, allowing you to prepare other dishes or do some chores. The result is just as good as that of a regular risotto, though- this dish is mild and smooth thanks to the cheeses and milk, and just enough bite from the pepper. It’s a good thing it’s filling, otherwise I could eat it all day…

This can be eaten on its own as a main dish or as a side dish. The recipe yields enough to serve 3 main dishes or to be a side dish for a large family. It’ll stay good for a few days, so you can save leftovers to heat up and eat later.

Ingredients:
  • 5 c. riced cauliflower
  • 3 Tb. butter
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced (equivalent to 1.5 t. if pre-minced from a jar)
  • 6 Tb. parmesan cheese*
  • 1/2 cup gouda cheese (I recommend a softer, milder gouda)*
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
*You can use a block of cheese, but cut it into slices or shred it before using it. Cubes of cheese won’t melt down well in this dish.

Instructions:
Put garlic and butter in a deep pan on medium heat. Once butter melts, let the garlic and butter cook for 2-3 minutes. Be sure to stir the garlic to prevent it from burning.

Pour the butter mixture in a bowl. Add the riced cauliflower to the pan. If you’re using frozen riced cauliflower like I do, use a spoon to break apart chunks of the rice. Pour the butter mixture over the riced cauliflower. Add in the parmesan cheese, gouda cheese, and milk. Let cook, stirring occasionally. When the riced cauliflower is cooked (soft) and the cheese has melted, season to taste with the salt and pepper. The dish will be bland if underseasoned, so don’t shy away from those shakers!
Thanks so much for so many amazing entries, everyone! This thread is making me delightfully hungry :)
Thanks so much for so many amazing entries, everyone! This thread is making me delightfully hungry :)
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16