Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [BSJ] Cooking Contest (entries CLOSED)
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
pops into thread again \o/

all of the entries look v yummy and im love.
pops into thread again \o/

all of the entries look v yummy and im love.
A school of pastel-colored ASCII fish!
This sounds like fun! I love cooking <3
This sounds like fun! I love cooking <3
NFJCNCS.gif UBaiWUV.png
bYt72YT.png
rUoKR6y.png
YMPbu9R.png
BY1bl09.png ZFAfDzf.png eVSz2yG.png
I've been looking through all the recipes and drooling... I may have to try some of them this weekend!
I've been looking through all the recipes and drooling... I may have to try some of them this weekend!
XW2PxEW.png
Edit: This was supposed to be Latte Faire, not sunshine is sweet! Sorry about that! [b]Username:[/b] Lhethi [b]Category:[/b] Latte Faire [b]Entry Title:[/b] Fluffy Vanilla Ice-Cream *Note* This is made using an ice-cream maker [b]Ingredients[/b] [LIST] [*] 3 cups ice-cream salt [*] 8-12 lbs Ice [*] 3 cups sugar [*] 6 cups heavy whipping cream [*] 3 cups milk - I prefer whole milk [*] 1-1.5 Tbsp vanilla extract [/LIST] [b]Steps[/b] [LIST=1] [*] Mix sugar, heavy whipping cream, milk, and vanilla extract together, stirring well until sugar is mostly incorporated. [*] Once all ingredients are combined, carefully pour the mixture into the inner canister of your ice-cream maker. Insert dasher and place cover on top, making sure it is firmly in place. [*] Take your bucket and either set in on a towel or place it in a sink so that any ice melt can be easily captured. [*] Place your canister into the bucket and assemble your motor on top. Make sure it's latched in place. [*] Turn your motor on and let the dasher churn the mixture for approx. 2 minutes. [*] Turn off motor and start layering your ice and salt. You'll want to put a 1-2 inch layer around the canister inside the bucket and then sprinkle 1/2 cup of salt over the ice. This is followed by another layer of ice, then salt, until your ice is covering the cannister. [*] Turn your motor on and let it run for about 20-40 minutes or until the motor stops. I like letting it run until the motor stops because then everything is super fluffy. [*] Remove motor and take the the canister out of the bucket. Your ice-cream should be semi-soft, perfect for scooping! Or, if you prefer your ice-cream to be harder, remove dasher from canister, replace cover with seal, and freeze the canister for a few hours. [/LIST] [img]https://pre00.deviantart.net/e36c/th/pre/i/2018/173/e/b/20180622_214448_by_lhethi-dcf61tj.jpg[/img] Ice-cream should taste like fluffy and light. Someone told me it tastes like marshmallows but I haven't had a marshmallow in forever so...I can't verify that lol. Ice-cream goes really well with chocolate syrup, fresh fruit, or cinnamon powder sprinkled on top. It also works really well in ice-cream cookie sandwiches, milkshakes, and blueberry smoothies. It also makes a [i]ton[/i] of ice-cream. [img]https://pre00.deviantart.net/a54a/th/pre/i/2018/173/9/5/20180622_224700_by_lhethi-dcf63xp.jpg[/img]
Edit: This was supposed to be Latte Faire, not sunshine is sweet! Sorry about that!

Username: Lhethi

Category: Latte Faire

Entry Title: Fluffy Vanilla Ice-Cream

*Note* This is made using an ice-cream maker

Ingredients
  • 3 cups ice-cream salt
  • 8-12 lbs Ice
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 6 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 3 cups milk - I prefer whole milk
  • 1-1.5 Tbsp vanilla extract

Steps
  1. Mix sugar, heavy whipping cream, milk, and vanilla extract together, stirring well until sugar is mostly incorporated.
  2. Once all ingredients are combined, carefully pour the mixture into the inner canister of your ice-cream maker. Insert dasher and place cover on top, making sure it is firmly in place.
  3. Take your bucket and either set in on a towel or place it in a sink so that any ice melt can be easily captured.
  4. Place your canister into the bucket and assemble your motor on top. Make sure it's latched in place.
  5. Turn your motor on and let the dasher churn the mixture for approx. 2 minutes.
  6. Turn off motor and start layering your ice and salt. You'll want to put a 1-2 inch layer around the canister inside the bucket and then sprinkle 1/2 cup of salt over the ice. This is followed by another layer of ice, then salt, until your ice is covering the cannister.
  7. Turn your motor on and let it run for about 20-40 minutes or until the motor stops. I like letting it run until the motor stops because then everything is super fluffy.
  8. Remove motor and take the the canister out of the bucket. Your ice-cream should be semi-soft, perfect for scooping! Or, if you prefer your ice-cream to be harder, remove dasher from canister, replace cover with seal, and freeze the canister for a few hours.

20180622_214448_by_lhethi-dcf61tj.jpg

Ice-cream should taste like fluffy and light. Someone told me it tastes like marshmallows but I haven't had a marshmallow in forever so...I can't verify that lol.

Ice-cream goes really well with chocolate syrup, fresh fruit, or cinnamon powder sprinkled on top. It also works really well in ice-cream cookie sandwiches, milkshakes, and blueberry smoothies. It also makes a ton of ice-cream.

20180622_224700_by_lhethi-dcf63xp.jpg

[b]Username:[/b] Equusina [b]Category:[/b] Sunshine is sweet [b]Entry Title:[/b] Orange Candied Beets So it dawned on me while I was preparing dinner that I had a perfect entry for this contest. But instead of a dessert, I chose to enter a vegetable dish. I actually grew these beets and they were fresh out of the garden. Two varieties, a Detroit Dark Red and an Albino white beet as well. Frankly they taste the same to me even before the glaze but the mix of colors was interesting. Choose your protein to complete your meal; we had shrimp salad on a bed of home grown lettuce and peppers and cheese bread on the side. [u]Recipe for Orange Candied Beets:[/u] Fresh beets, get a bunch from your local market or grow your own 1/4 cup butter 1/4 cup brown sugar 1/2-3/4 cup orange juice dash of cinnamon Cut the tops off the beets and reserve for later use. These can be cleaned, chopped and sautéed like spinach (really good with onions, garlic, peppers then drop an egg in the middle...oooh, wait, another entry). Boil the beets in a saucepan for 20-30 minutes until soft. Cool, peel, and slice. In a large sauté pan melt the butter and add the brown sugar. Heat until bubbly, then add the orange juice and cinnamon. Be careful, this can splatter. Stir well, then reduce the sauce over medium high heat until it thickens. Stir constantly and don't scorch. [img]https://imgur.com/BfX49cr.png[/img] Add the beets and heat through. The red beets will impart a gorgeous red color to the sauce as well as anything else it come in contact with so watch for splashes. [img]https://imgur.com/HnvY4mL.png[/img] Plate along side your main dish and enjoy! [img]https://imgur.com/Jf8rKBj.png[/img] Forgot the label...beets almost gone... [img]https://imgur.com/PMYKQLb.png[/img]
Username: Equusina

Category: Sunshine is sweet

Entry Title: Orange Candied Beets

So it dawned on me while I was preparing dinner that I had a perfect entry for this contest. But instead of a dessert, I chose to enter a vegetable dish. I actually grew these beets and they were fresh out of the garden. Two varieties, a Detroit Dark Red and an Albino white beet as well. Frankly they taste the same to me even before the glaze but the mix of colors was interesting. Choose your protein to complete your meal; we had shrimp salad on a bed of home grown lettuce and peppers and cheese bread on the side.

Recipe for Orange Candied Beets:

Fresh beets, get a bunch from your local market or grow your own
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2-3/4 cup orange juice
dash of cinnamon

Cut the tops off the beets and reserve for later use. These can be cleaned, chopped and sautéed like spinach (really good with onions, garlic, peppers then drop an egg in the middle...oooh, wait, another entry). Boil the beets in a saucepan for 20-30 minutes until soft. Cool, peel, and slice.

In a large sauté pan melt the butter and add the brown sugar. Heat until bubbly, then add the orange juice and cinnamon. Be careful, this can splatter. Stir well, then reduce the sauce over medium high heat until it thickens. Stir constantly and don't scorch.

BfX49cr.png

Add the beets and heat through. The red beets will impart a gorgeous red color to the sauce as well as anything else it come in contact with so watch for splashes.

HnvY4mL.png

Plate along side your main dish and enjoy!

Jf8rKBj.png

Forgot the label...beets almost gone...

PMYKQLb.png
B17-L.pngs9-d01-Equusina.pngs9-d02-Equusina.pngs9-d03-Equusina.pngs9-d04-Equusina.pngs9-d05-Equusina.pngs9-d06-Equusina.pngs9-d07-Equusina.pngs9-d08-Equusina.pngs9-d09-Equusina.pngs9-d10-Equusina.pngs9-d11-Equusina.pngs9-d12-Equusina.pngs9-d13-Equusina.pngs9-d14-Equusina.pngB17-R.png
Hex0gCq.png
center]tWjEyu3.png[/center]
59TgHaL.png6qRiT6A.pnggLbSZXW.gif

uk9aQ3a.pngxm3SUTd.pngqyXz5ux.png kQXO8qG.gif
Btrc1b3.png

CvMCKOn.png
YS78n0y.gif
oapIRSh.png

OvJsD6v.png qS8m3Il.png
9wmtr73.gif
tZfAbHX.gif
tumblr_oesqvmhEFF1ql1x1no8_r1_100.png[/url]glitterbomb_starfall_2016_by_starkindlerstudio-dai1j8g.png 3nlGtPe.gifequusina_TODbadge.pngBzeVYAh.png
[quote name="Equusina" date="2018-06-22 23:12:54" ]Forgot the label...beets almost gone... [/quote] This is so relatable. I’m not a huge fan of beets, but my grandparents like them. I’ll try this recipe the next time I make dinner for them.
Equusina wrote on 2018-06-22 23:12:54:
Forgot the label...beets almost gone...

This is so relatable.

I’m not a huge fan of beets, but my grandparents like them. I’ll try this recipe the next time I make dinner for them.
@Equusina

That recipe looks really yummy! I'm going to have try it when my beets are ready to harvest.
@Equusina

That recipe looks really yummy! I'm going to have try it when my beets are ready to harvest.
Thanks for the amazing entries so far, everyone! :)

Today is the half-way mark of our contest. One more week to go! It's time for a weekly discussion question. Anyone is free to answer, including those not planning to enter. It's also totally fine to answer later than Saturday.

Discussion question: What was your favorite thing to eat this week?

Mine was the salmon bento box at the restaurant that I frequent! The way they cook it, the meat is firm and moist, and the skin is a lovely balance of crispiness and satisfying oily flavor. The additional pieces of the bento box also add some variety and complement the meal. I order this so frequently that I just have to walk in and sit down; the waitresses know what I want. :P

Ping list:
@sublimevoide @BrightIce @Neroli @RaiStarDragon @Alastriona1
Thanks for the amazing entries so far, everyone! :)

Today is the half-way mark of our contest. One more week to go! It's time for a weekly discussion question. Anyone is free to answer, including those not planning to enter. It's also totally fine to answer later than Saturday.

Discussion question: What was your favorite thing to eat this week?

Mine was the salmon bento box at the restaurant that I frequent! The way they cook it, the meat is firm and moist, and the skin is a lovely balance of crispiness and satisfying oily flavor. The additional pieces of the bento box also add some variety and complement the meal. I order this so frequently that I just have to walk in and sit down; the waitresses know what I want. :P

Ping list:
@sublimevoide @BrightIce @Neroli @RaiStarDragon @Alastriona1
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
[b]Username:[/b] Lhethi [b]Category:[/b] Sunshine is Sweet [b]Entry Title:[/b] Strawberries & Cream Scones Today was strawberries and cream scone day! @Moirli helped by corralling my cats and figuring out how to plate the scones and strawberries [s]and by eating all my whipped cream.[/s] [b]Ingredients[/b] [LIST] [*] 2 1/2 cups flour [*] 1/2 tsp salt - I use vanilla salt [*] 2 tsp baking powder [*] 1/2 tsp baking soda [*] 1/3 cup sugar [*] 1 stick unsalted butter - Your butter should be very cold, preferably frozen. Either grate the butter or cut it into tiny pieces [*] 1 egg [*] 1/2 cup whole milk [*] 2 Tbps heavy cream [*] 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered [/LIST] [b]Steps[/b] [LIST=1] [*] Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F) and line a large baking sheet with either parchment paper or silicone baking mat. If you plan on using foil, spray it first so it doesn't stick. [*] In a large bowl, mix together the flour salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar. Make sure everything is combined well. [*] Take out your butter and cut it into the flour until it resembles a coarse meal or is the size of small peas. Make sure not to overwork your dough. [*] In a different bowl, whisk the egg, milk, and cream together and then add to the dough mixture, using a fork to stir everything together until just moistened. Again, make sure not to overwork the dough. [*] Add in your strawberries with a rubber spatula and gently gold them into the dough. [*] Dust your work station with flour and then turn out the dough. If it's not holding together, knead the dough a few times. Once your dough is ready, shape it into a circle. You can do one circle, if you want large scones or two smaller circles if you want smaller scones. [*] Cut the dough into wedges and then transfer them to your baking sheet, making sure to keep some space between them. [*] Mix together a little milk and cream together and then brush the wash over each scone. You can then sprinkle the scones with sugar or a little bit of salt. [*] Bake for about 18 minutes or until the scones are light golden brown. [*] Top with whipped cream and strawberries or eat as is! [/LIST] [img]https://pre00.deviantart.net/5014/th/pre/i/2018/174/9/c/20180623_132031_by_lhethi-dcf7w8d.jpg[/img]

Category: Sunshine is Sweet

Entry Title: Strawberries & Cream Scones

Today was strawberries and cream scone day! @Moirli helped by corralling my cats and figuring out how to plate the scones and strawberries and by eating all my whipped cream.

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt - I use vanilla salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 stick unsalted butter - Your butter should be very cold, preferably frozen. Either grate the butter or cut it into tiny pieces
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 2 Tbps heavy cream
  • 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered

Steps
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F) and line a large baking sheet with either parchment paper or silicone baking mat. If you plan on using foil, spray it first so it doesn't stick.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar. Make sure everything is combined well.
  3. Take out your butter and cut it into the flour until it resembles a coarse meal or is the size of small peas. Make sure not to overwork your dough.
  4. In a different bowl, whisk the egg, milk, and cream together and then add to the dough mixture, using a fork to stir everything together until just moistened. Again, make sure not to overwork the dough.
  5. Add in your strawberries with a rubber spatula and gently gold them into the dough.
  6. Dust your work station with flour and then turn out the dough. If it's not holding together, knead the dough a few times. Once your dough is ready, shape it into a circle. You can do one circle, if you want large scones or two smaller circles if you want smaller scones.
  7. Cut the dough into wedges and then transfer them to your baking sheet, making sure to keep some space between them.
  8. Mix together a little milk and cream together and then brush the wash over each scone. You can then sprinkle the scones with sugar or a little bit of salt.
  9. Bake for about 18 minutes or until the scones are light golden brown.
  10. Top with whipped cream and strawberries or eat as is!

20180623_132031_by_lhethi-dcf7w8d.jpg
[b]Username:[/b] Lhethi [b]Category:[/b] Entreepreneur [b]Entry Title:[/b] Spicy Buffalo Chicken Nuggets After making scones, @Moirli and I decided it was time for something with a little kick. Moirli went out and hunted down some buffalo for me while I prepped the chicken. [b]Ingredients[/b] [LIST] [*] Chicken - cubed [*] Flour [*] Egg - Beaten [*] Panko [*] Buffalo Sauce [*] Ranch [/LIST] Steps [LIST=1] [*] Preheat your oven to 400 degrees (F) and line a baking sheet with foil or silicone mat. [*] Cube your chicken into bite sized nuggets. [*] Dredge the chicken in flour, then your egg bath, then toss them with the panko. [*] Place the chicken on your baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip the chicken, and bake for another 10 minutes. [*] Let the chicken cool for a few minutes and then toss with buffalo sauce. Drizzle chicken with ranch and enjoy! [/LIST] [img]https://img00.deviantart.net/36ba/i/2018/174/2/3/20180623_134503_by_lhethi-dcf80yi.jpg[/img]

Category: Entreepreneur

Entry Title: Spicy Buffalo Chicken Nuggets

After making scones, @Moirli and I decided it was time for something with a little kick. Moirli went out and hunted down some buffalo for me while I prepped the chicken.

Ingredients
  • Chicken - cubed
  • Flour
  • Egg - Beaten
  • Panko
  • Buffalo Sauce
  • Ranch

Steps
  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees (F) and line a baking sheet with foil or silicone mat.
  2. Cube your chicken into bite sized nuggets.
  3. Dredge the chicken in flour, then your egg bath, then toss them with the panko.
  4. Place the chicken on your baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip the chicken, and bake for another 10 minutes.
  5. Let the chicken cool for a few minutes and then toss with buffalo sauce. Drizzle chicken with ranch and enjoy!

20180623_134503_by_lhethi-dcf80yi.jpg
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16