Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Any STAR TREK Fans on Flightrising?
1 2 3 4 5
@Sharpjay217

Agh, yes! *shudders at memory* That was just...wrong.

*the klingons*
@Sharpjay217

Agh, yes! *shudders at memory* That was just...wrong.

*the klingons*
shadow | 2hrs. ahead of server time | i hoard salt, nickel ore, silver ore, gravel, copper ore, and sand
@Sharpjay217

Eurgh, good point. I mean, if you really want to use those designs, why not just invent a new species? Or even set the series in an alternate universe (we already know they exist in Star Trek)? Seems like a bit of a weird choice, probably a grab for a new audience or something. I'm not sure why; the redesign's kind of aesthetically weird.
@Sharpjay217

Eurgh, good point. I mean, if you really want to use those designs, why not just invent a new species? Or even set the series in an alternate universe (we already know they exist in Star Trek)? Seems like a bit of a weird choice, probably a grab for a new audience or something. I'm not sure why; the redesign's kind of aesthetically weird.
lll.gif She/her l 15 l Resident Music/Book Dork
@kouchima

I don't have any problem with the expansion of the Klingons' culture. Monoculture worlds in sci fi are kind of boring, imo. It's much more interesting when there are different cultures on the same planet like there are on Earth. It's just the redesign of the Klingons' features that I don't like. I really liked how they looked in TNG/VOY/DS9/ENT. The change from TOS to TNG was understandable as they got a bigger budget to do different makeup but I don't feel they needed to change the look for DIS. It feels like they did it "just because." Like how they changed the Romulans in the movies. They're just changing some things for the sake of changing them, imo.

I do like the characters in DIS, though, even the Klingon ones. I'm very emotionally invested in the characters and I don't often get that emotionally invested in characters. They feel like real people, not just "the Klingon", "the pretty psychic lady", "the weird new alien guy", etc. As much as I love me some older Trek most of the characters are very one dimensional. It didn't help that most episodes were "hardheaded alien of the week" or "personal problem arises that doesn't affect any other episode." I loved that DS9 had an overarching story so I was really glad that's what Discovery's been about as well! A few episodes where they just visit another planet and explore are awesome, but an entire series like that isn't as interesting. Even though I love TNG and grew up with it there was very little character development.
@kouchima

I don't have any problem with the expansion of the Klingons' culture. Monoculture worlds in sci fi are kind of boring, imo. It's much more interesting when there are different cultures on the same planet like there are on Earth. It's just the redesign of the Klingons' features that I don't like. I really liked how they looked in TNG/VOY/DS9/ENT. The change from TOS to TNG was understandable as they got a bigger budget to do different makeup but I don't feel they needed to change the look for DIS. It feels like they did it "just because." Like how they changed the Romulans in the movies. They're just changing some things for the sake of changing them, imo.

I do like the characters in DIS, though, even the Klingon ones. I'm very emotionally invested in the characters and I don't often get that emotionally invested in characters. They feel like real people, not just "the Klingon", "the pretty psychic lady", "the weird new alien guy", etc. As much as I love me some older Trek most of the characters are very one dimensional. It didn't help that most episodes were "hardheaded alien of the week" or "personal problem arises that doesn't affect any other episode." I loved that DS9 had an overarching story so I was really glad that's what Discovery's been about as well! A few episodes where they just visit another planet and explore are awesome, but an entire series like that isn't as interesting. Even though I love TNG and grew up with it there was very little character development.
I feel like I'm in the minority that thought the "augment virus" was an okay in-universe explanation for the Klingons losing their ridges and regaining them later. XD It was funny but at the same time sort of made sense. Many Klingons would jump at the chance to make themselves more powerful using genetic augmentation, especially since the Empire became so corrupt. Most Klingons blustered more than anything, like Gowron.

I think one of my favourite in-universe acknowledgement of the lack of ridges was in DS9's "Trials and Tribblations" when Odo, O'Brien and Bashir didn't recognize the Klingons on the TOS-era space station and turned to Worf who was like, "We do not discuss it with outsiders."
I feel like I'm in the minority that thought the "augment virus" was an okay in-universe explanation for the Klingons losing their ridges and regaining them later. XD It was funny but at the same time sort of made sense. Many Klingons would jump at the chance to make themselves more powerful using genetic augmentation, especially since the Empire became so corrupt. Most Klingons blustered more than anything, like Gowron.

I think one of my favourite in-universe acknowledgement of the lack of ridges was in DS9's "Trials and Tribblations" when Odo, O'Brien and Bashir didn't recognize the Klingons on the TOS-era space station and turned to Worf who was like, "We do not discuss it with outsiders."
@SquidQueen
You do have a point. It very well could just be that they're changing things just because they can. And I have to agree with you, the design of the Romulans in the movies seriously made me angry. It's supposed to be nearly impossible to tell them apart from Vulcans. That was just... no. Just no.

I also agree with your thoughts on the lack of character development in TNG (and TOS, for that matter). It's really frustrating. It's more apparent to me now as I'm rewatching TNG. I get reeeeaaaaally bored. I have to be doing something else at the same time while watching, tbh. Lol
But Discovery's characters are pretty amazing. I like that they're introducing new species and actually expanding on them rather than having them show up for one episode and then vanishing.
@SquidQueen
You do have a point. It very well could just be that they're changing things just because they can. And I have to agree with you, the design of the Romulans in the movies seriously made me angry. It's supposed to be nearly impossible to tell them apart from Vulcans. That was just... no. Just no.

I also agree with your thoughts on the lack of character development in TNG (and TOS, for that matter). It's really frustrating. It's more apparent to me now as I'm rewatching TNG. I get reeeeaaaaally bored. I have to be doing something else at the same time while watching, tbh. Lol
But Discovery's characters are pretty amazing. I like that they're introducing new species and actually expanding on them rather than having them show up for one episode and then vanishing.
Vy9KW6B.png
1 2 3 4 5