Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Any STAR TREK Fans on Flightrising?
1 2 3 4 5
@Endeavour

Oh, cool! Yeah, I need to look into that the next time my family takes a vacation.
@Endeavour

Oh, cool! Yeah, I need to look into that the next time my family takes a vacation.
shadow | 2hrs. ahead of server time | i hoard salt, nickel ore, silver ore, gravel, copper ore, and sand
@ConspiracyTheory A tie between Qwark and Odo! (The TNG characters too, but I kinda group them over there instead since they started there.)

Man do I love the Odo/Quark banter. :D
@ConspiracyTheory A tie between Qwark and Odo! (The TNG characters too, but I kinda group them over there instead since they started there.)

Man do I love the Odo/Quark banter. :D
My writing project.
@Chronosplit

Haha yep! can't get enough of those two.
@Chronosplit

Haha yep! can't get enough of those two.
shadow | 2hrs. ahead of server time | i hoard salt, nickel ore, silver ore, gravel, copper ore, and sand
I've watched all of the originals, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and we are currently watching Enterprise. :) In fact, we're watching an episode of Enterprise as I type!

However...I never plan to watch Discovery...As far as I've heard it's just butchered Star Trek in general...
I've watched all of the originals, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and we are currently watching Enterprise. :) In fact, we're watching an episode of Enterprise as I type!

However...I never plan to watch Discovery...As far as I've heard it's just butchered Star Trek in general...
WjyjP9T.pngtumblr_p1dtysGz331wvvm88o2_100.png
@Sharpjay217

I think it's just that Discovery is different... just like every Star Trek series has been different. Some people are having trouble adjusting, just like they always do. Many people said TNG was "too different", a lot of people hated DS9 because "being on a space station isn't Star Trek!" and people didn't like Voyager either because it was "just Lost in Space." Personally, I like Discovery and while I can see why people say it's "darker" but it really isn't. It's just that some of the darker things in it, that were also in other series, can be shown more graphically now because they can push the envelope a bit and they have a huge budget for special effects.

I can't wait for January!! My family has already started a new tradition of getting together and watching Star Trek on Sundays. :3

I'm currently re-watching DS9 again. My favourite character has to be Kira. <3 She's awesome and it was nice to have a person with a non-Federation viewpoint to call out their hypocrisy and challenge them a bit.
@Sharpjay217

I think it's just that Discovery is different... just like every Star Trek series has been different. Some people are having trouble adjusting, just like they always do. Many people said TNG was "too different", a lot of people hated DS9 because "being on a space station isn't Star Trek!" and people didn't like Voyager either because it was "just Lost in Space." Personally, I like Discovery and while I can see why people say it's "darker" but it really isn't. It's just that some of the darker things in it, that were also in other series, can be shown more graphically now because they can push the envelope a bit and they have a huge budget for special effects.

I can't wait for January!! My family has already started a new tradition of getting together and watching Star Trek on Sundays. :3

I'm currently re-watching DS9 again. My favourite character has to be Kira. <3 She's awesome and it was nice to have a person with a non-Federation viewpoint to call out their hypocrisy and challenge them a bit.
@SquidQueen

Cool tradition! And yeah, Kira's awesome!

As for Discovery, you have a good point but...but the Klingons...
@SquidQueen

Cool tradition! And yeah, Kira's awesome!

As for Discovery, you have a good point but...but the Klingons...
@Sharpjay217

OKAY THAT IS THE ONE THING I CANNOT *STAND* ABOUT DISCOVERY OMG

I hate hate HATE the new design for the Klingons! They would even look fine if they had their long hair! I don't understand why they had to change the design completely! It was the same thing with the Romulans in Star Trek 2009.

I totally 100% agree with people hating on the new design.
@Sharpjay217

OKAY THAT IS THE ONE THING I CANNOT *STAND* ABOUT DISCOVERY OMG

I hate hate HATE the new design for the Klingons! They would even look fine if they had their long hair! I don't understand why they had to change the design completely! It was the same thing with the Romulans in Star Trek 2009.

[quote name="SquidQueen" date=2017-12-04 20:33:26] I hate hate HATE the new design for the Klingons! They would even look fine if they had their long hair! I don't understand why they had to change the design completely! It was the same thing with the Romulans in Star Trek 2009. I totally 100% agree with people hating on the new design. [/quote] If they would just bring about some rational reason, I might be able to accept it. While I haven't seen Discovery, I've heard the Klingons cultural portrayal is a bit different than what has been built up before, so I'm really hoping this isn't just a total redesign of Klingons, but rather a different kind than what we've seen (just think how among humans there are different ethnic groups with different physical features from others) or another off-shoot like the Augment Klingons. But if it is just a redesign, what is the point? Why fundamentally change what has been built up for years in the past series, movies and everything? It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
SquidQueen wrote on 2017-12-04:

If they would just bring about some rational reason, I might be able to accept it. While I haven't seen Discovery, I've heard the Klingons cultural portrayal is a bit different than what has been built up before, so I'm really hoping this isn't just a total redesign of Klingons, but rather a different kind than what we've seen (just think how among humans there are different ethnic groups with different physical features from others) or another off-shoot like the Augment Klingons.

But if it is just a redesign, what is the point? Why fundamentally change what has been built up for years in the past series, movies and everything? It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Formerly known as Brenning.
@SquidQueen @Brenning

THANK YOU!!! I'm not the only one! I really hope that is they ever make another Star Trek after Discovery they scrap the redesign and go back to the old version. Like, who can imagine Worf or B'Elanna looking like the Klingons in the redesign. :/
@SquidQueen @Brenning

THANK YOU!!! I'm not the only one! I really hope that is they ever make another Star Trek after Discovery they scrap the redesign and go back to the old version. Like, who can imagine Worf or B'Elanna looking like the Klingons in the redesign. :/
@SquidQueen
I agree. Some people really don't like Discovery, but I think because it's just a totally new take. (Also, I think a lot of people think it's "cooler" to hate new series like this, unfortunately.)

I think the main thing is people don't really take into consideration is the limitations of makeup and special effects in past series. For example, the Klingons looked almost completely human in TOS, but then as new series and new advances in special effects came out, they changed. They came out with some silly excuse about a sickness or something? that made Klingons lose the ridges on their heads, which I found kind of... meh. But it is what it is.

If they had these types of effects and higher budget limits in the past, it's very possible that this is what the Klingons would have looked like from the beginning. It took some time to get used to, but I appreciate the fact that they're trying to expand on the Klingon culture, so I accepted it and moved on. They're trying to make them look more like the Klingons that were in the movies. To be honest, the leap from TOS to TNG was much bigger than the differences between Discovery and TNG. And this is, what... 100 years before TNG? Something like that? By the time Worf comes around, Klingons may have evolved a bit more to have hair. *shrugs* It's also possible that since the Klingons in TOS have hair (during the epidemic that was used to explain away their lack of the signature Klingon features) that it's some sort of permanent mutation brought on by the pandemic.

Aaron Harberts:
"In the different versions of Trek, the Klingons have never been completely consistent. We will introduce several different houses with different styles. Hopefully, fans will become more invested in the characters than worried about the redesign."

Honestly, I'm glad to have a series that satisfies my inner nerd and also serves up some super bad*** women in main roles.
@SquidQueen
I agree. Some people really don't like Discovery, but I think because it's just a totally new take. (Also, I think a lot of people think it's "cooler" to hate new series like this, unfortunately.)

I think the main thing is people don't really take into consideration is the limitations of makeup and special effects in past series. For example, the Klingons looked almost completely human in TOS, but then as new series and new advances in special effects came out, they changed. They came out with some silly excuse about a sickness or something? that made Klingons lose the ridges on their heads, which I found kind of... meh. But it is what it is.

If they had these types of effects and higher budget limits in the past, it's very possible that this is what the Klingons would have looked like from the beginning. It took some time to get used to, but I appreciate the fact that they're trying to expand on the Klingon culture, so I accepted it and moved on. They're trying to make them look more like the Klingons that were in the movies. To be honest, the leap from TOS to TNG was much bigger than the differences between Discovery and TNG. And this is, what... 100 years before TNG? Something like that? By the time Worf comes around, Klingons may have evolved a bit more to have hair. *shrugs* It's also possible that since the Klingons in TOS have hair (during the epidemic that was used to explain away their lack of the signature Klingon features) that it's some sort of permanent mutation brought on by the pandemic.

Aaron Harberts:
"In the different versions of Trek, the Klingons have never been completely consistent. We will introduce several different houses with different styles. Hopefully, fans will become more invested in the characters than worried about the redesign."

Honestly, I'm glad to have a series that satisfies my inner nerd and also serves up some super bad*** women in main roles.
Vy9KW6B.png
1 2 3 4 5