Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | 17776?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
@MrFrenchFrybrows

Jon Bois, the creator of this... thing... is an associate editor at the website that hosts this (SB Nation).
@MrFrenchFrybrows

Jon Bois, the creator of this... thing... is an associate editor at the website that hosts this (SB Nation).
NXwxhXo.png
oh god thank heck this forum is back because as someone whos loved & personified satellites for a while now (almost a year, with the personifications? and even longer for loving satellites, gosh dang) i love this series a LOT

more than anything? i wanna like. make a version/fanfic/??? with satellites like planck and wmap bc theyre some of my favorite satellites ever
oh god thank heck this forum is back because as someone whos loved & personified satellites for a while now (almost a year, with the personifications? and even longer for loving satellites, gosh dang) i love this series a LOT

more than anything? i wanna like. make a version/fanfic/??? with satellites like planck and wmap bc theyre some of my favorite satellites ever
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
.np7f4Fm.png current icon:
NUuorfS.png .
I really like 17776 and I've been telling everyone I meet about it. My favorite part of the story so far is all the different kinds of football Bois comes up with. It's cool to see how nonchalantly the humans take immortality. I don't really understand why the 2,000+ yr. long football game was so frightening to Nine, though.

Disclaimer: I have only read to chapter five at the time of writing this.

@GroundControl I wonder if JUICE and Ten tried communicating with other satellites but gave up because they got no response. In 15,000 years, I think that most of the satellites have either drifted too far away or have crashed and burned.

I wonder why the humans haven't tried to colonize other planets yet. Maybe it's because there's only ~8 billion left forever and they don't want to get lonely if the other humans leave.
I really like 17776 and I've been telling everyone I meet about it. My favorite part of the story so far is all the different kinds of football Bois comes up with. It's cool to see how nonchalantly the humans take immortality. I don't really understand why the 2,000+ yr. long football game was so frightening to Nine, though.

Disclaimer: I have only read to chapter five at the time of writing this.

@GroundControl I wonder if JUICE and Ten tried communicating with other satellites but gave up because they got no response. In 15,000 years, I think that most of the satellites have either drifted too far away or have crashed and burned.

I wonder why the humans haven't tried to colonize other planets yet. Maybe it's because there's only ~8 billion left forever and they don't want to get lonely if the other humans leave.
Live for today, gone tomorrow.
swclpXz.jpg
That's me.
@kragnes

I think it was because humanity had done so much in 2000 years that just playing a football game seemed like a waste of time and potential. While they may be immortal, humanity stopped innovating. Think of all we've done on the last 2000 years. Now replace all of that with a football game and you'll understand why Nine was so upset.
@kragnes

I think it was because humanity had done so much in 2000 years that just playing a football game seemed like a waste of time and potential. While they may be immortal, humanity stopped innovating. Think of all we've done on the last 2000 years. Now replace all of that with a football game and you'll understand why Nine was so upset.
bEY99am.gif
All the stars seem so far gone
~He/him
~FR+3

Replace by the fading of the dawn
@kragnes

hoooo boy, wait till you catch up ;)

But the distance between satellites/space probes doesn't matter when it comes to establishing the quantum communication thing 9, 10 & JUICE use for communicating. Both 9 and 10 are ridiculously apart in miles (as in, reaaally outside of our solar system), and they can still communicate just fine with JUICE, who is orbiting Jupiter still (presumably), and Earth.
@kragnes

hoooo boy, wait till you catch up ;)

But the distance between satellites/space probes doesn't matter when it comes to establishing the quantum communication thing 9, 10 & JUICE use for communicating. Both 9 and 10 are ridiculously apart in miles (as in, reaaally outside of our solar system), and they can still communicate just fine with JUICE, who is orbiting Jupiter still (presumably), and Earth.
NXwxhXo.png
[color=Darkviolet]Woah woah, hold up a minute. It [i]ends[/i] on the [i]15th[/i]? Something this good should [i][u]never[/u][/i] end! ... Although I [i]do[/i] desperately want to know how it ends... [b][Insert frustrated screeching][/b] Oh also in case you didn't know the author confirmed how you say it [img]http://i.imgur.com/DQkrYKm.jpg[/img]
Woah woah, hold up a minute.
It ends on the 15th?

Something this good should never end!

Although I do desperately want to know how it ends...

[Insert frustrated screeching]

Oh also in case you didn't know the author confirmed how you say it

DQkrYKm.jpg
hi there ♥ she/her ♥ cat ♥ infp ♥ bisexual ♥ need a shoulder to lean or cry on? I'm here for you ♥
vUH4HYR.png
♥ ♥ ♥
Just a friendly reminder
to stretch a little,
give your eyes a rest,
and stay hydrated.
Look after yourself!
Have a wonderful day
♥ ♥ ♥

7gEpwhd.png
tumblr_inline_mqd7wjmoeq1qz4rgp.png

tumblr_inline_ojq6kuB42C1r2ao8y_540.png
My theories on kids' existence (or lack thereof)

SPOILERS 4 TODAYS UPDA7E (kinda)

J: "you know who would've wondered out there? just to do it?"

9: "...Children."

J: "children"

Theory 1)

Now now, while I don't think this means there's a confirmation that there aren't any children left on Earth, I think that this is a confirmation that there aren't any children left on Earth.

People stopped aging in 2026, that includes kids, yes--but, the kids all probably just grew up mentally. Age gaps become basically meaningless when everyone has over 15,000+ years. That's a lot of time to get virtually all the damn experience to life that there is to get, so everyone has the same level of maturity.

Basically, what I'm saying is that you'll find a baby at your local Denny's at 6am, reading the paper and smoking a cigarette before going to their office work at 8:00am.

Theory 2)

WELL, Bois said that people stopped aging, not growing up. Growing up is the process that we go through from being conceived to ending puberty. After puberty is when you start aging. So, what could've also happened is that all kids stopped growing right after ending puberty (average range of 16 to 21 years), and thus they never aged.

Which kinda sounds even worse, because the most noticeable form of humanity continuing to be, well, humanity is seeing how our kids grow up from being a single-celled organism, to being a grown up 18 year old. So, it could've taken humanity around 18 or so years to realized it stopped aging. (The death thing they could've noticed earlier though).
My theories on kids' existence (or lack thereof)

SPOILERS 4 TODAYS UPDA7E (kinda)

J: "you know who would've wondered out there? just to do it?"

9: "...Children."

J: "children"

Theory 1)

Now now, while I don't think this means there's a confirmation that there aren't any children left on Earth, I think that this is a confirmation that there aren't any children left on Earth.

People stopped aging in 2026, that includes kids, yes--but, the kids all probably just grew up mentally. Age gaps become basically meaningless when everyone has over 15,000+ years. That's a lot of time to get virtually all the damn experience to life that there is to get, so everyone has the same level of maturity.

Basically, what I'm saying is that you'll find a baby at your local Denny's at 6am, reading the paper and smoking a cigarette before going to their office work at 8:00am.

Theory 2)

WELL, Bois said that people stopped aging, not growing up. Growing up is the process that we go through from being conceived to ending puberty. After puberty is when you start aging. So, what could've also happened is that all kids stopped growing right after ending puberty (average range of 16 to 21 years), and thus they never aged.

Which kinda sounds even worse, because the most noticeable form of humanity continuing to be, well, humanity is seeing how our kids grow up from being a single-celled organism, to being a grown up 18 year old. So, it could've taken humanity around 18 or so years to realized it stopped aging. (The death thing they could've noticed earlier though).
NXwxhXo.png
Okay, I've never seen this before, but it looks fascinating!
Okay, I've never seen this before, but it looks fascinating!
Quote:
To love is to be afraid. You are frightened, deathly terrified, that something will happen to those you love. Think of the possibilities. Does your heart clench with each thought? That, my friend, is love.
-Marie Lu, The Young Elites
i really really need to see more of this universe. and also - the animala didn't stop aging! and how are their environmental practices - & is everything just a trade system of inifite worthless money for everyone to have and use
i really really need to see more of this universe. and also - the animala didn't stop aging! and how are their environmental practices - & is everything just a trade system of inifite worthless money for everyone to have and use
cottonee.gifjoltik.gif
I attempted to read it but it made no sense to me what so ever. There was no real context to be gleaned, everything was disjointed and illogical. I honestly can't fathom how anyone could even understand it enough to like it.

There's no scene description, something I find integral to a good story, just nonsense about 'american football' and a very distressed, disoriented sapient satellite no one seems to bother explaining anything to (at least to the point I got to).
I attempted to read it but it made no sense to me what so ever. There was no real context to be gleaned, everything was disjointed and illogical. I honestly can't fathom how anyone could even understand it enough to like it.

There's no scene description, something I find integral to a good story, just nonsense about 'american football' and a very distressed, disoriented sapient satellite no one seems to bother explaining anything to (at least to the point I got to).
natureshieldl.png NIJBYPt.png uRC0U7k.png NIJBYPt.png natureshieldr.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10